magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
choppy sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iramontgomery
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: choppy sound

How do you correct choppy sound. It goes in and out for several seconds then returns to normal and then a while later it does it again.
SailorDave
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: choppy sound

The odds are it is low bandwidth internet or if you are plugged into your computer, it may be busy enough to not keep up. If you are doing lots of stuff on the internet at the same time you are making calls, a choppy sound could easily result.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:

For me I have sorted the issues, with my Magic Jack Plus...
I used have problems with
The cracks, static,beeps, choppy and cuts in and out sound issues.
After doing these 6 steps all are fixed.

1) I made my Magic Jack DMZ on my router.
(Step by step : http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved)

2) On top of it i opened ports 5060, 5070, 49152, 65525 on my router, and gave magic jack plus a static IP.

3) I upgraded the firmware to the latest for my magic jack plus.Plug magic jack into a computer then download
Magic Jack Firmware (Feb 2012) 2.0.13 (a113100301d015) then install it.
For windows get it here http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

A big issue seemed to be:
the location of my magic jack and phone lines... I had them all scattered behind my tv and mixed with my cat 5 cords/ power

cords, cable lines and router. The Magic Jack plus was on a power bar with 10 other things...
From what I read the cat 5 cords/router can interfere with the magic jack (causing cracks and beeps) ..
4) so its better to use a 14foot cat 6 cord(I got a new high quality one) and get the magic jack as far away from the router

and cords as possible... Directly after moving the phone cords and the magic jack to its OWN plug bang it seemed to work

better.

Although what i posted above helped.. I did a few other things, as it wasn't completely fixed.( still some random static

sometimes.)

5) I figured the Magic jack was overheating... during a call I put my hand on it and it was SMOKING hot... remeber this is

computer hardware so heat = BAD...i decided to get an exacto blade and pop the front plate off my magic jack. I then got a

plastic lid from strawberries and cut it to the exact size of the front plate.. I then poped 10-15 holes in the plastic

strawberry lid with a paper hole punch and then taped it back into the place the "magic Jack front plate" sat. I obviously

kept the magic jack faceplate so i can make it "original" at anytime.
(Watch this video to see him holding the front plate @ 5:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTNHcLNdwk)

6) I also Used the included 6 inch usb cord to keep the dongle away from the power plug/heat.

Some other things you might want to know
I used panasonic 6.0 cordless phones.(Model KT-tg9331cta)- not required but recommended
The phone cord to the magic jack was approx 5 feet.
The Cat 6 cord I used was a rocketfish rf-pcc107 high performance cat 6

Since I did these 6 steps (dec 27 2012) my magic jack has worked perfectly, and I recommend you try the steps I listed

above.It took me many days of reseaching, and many days of frustration to lay out this Magic Jack Plus "fix" try them, I hope

they work for you as well.
RickAster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Choppy Sound

I have found that choppy sound occurs on 3 different devices, MJ, MJ+ and MJ App on Iphone. I have noticed a pattern, it seems to occur during peak times and is fine in the morning on east coast. From this I suspect MJ has over sold product and their servers couldn't handle all the connections during peak, so they probably are compensating by dropping random packets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: