magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choppy/Popping Voice MJ +

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Choppy/Popping Voice MJ + Reply with quote

Well I ported my number over today and everything went fine. I called Time Warner who I ported from and they had already disconnected the phone service to the cable modem. I got my bill adjusted and everything was fine until I got home. I've been testing this for a month with no voice quality issues. When I got home tonight I have had nothing but popping/choppy voice, dropped calls, and error 23. I have been using this plugged directly into my router. I then plugged it into my desktop PC and still had poor quality choppy/popping voice. I tried to plug directly into the modem but the MJ+ would never establish a connection with the phone error 3002. Now I still have the phone modem should I swap this out for just a standard cable modem? Could time Warner have done something with the QOS of my service since I ported out? Is there anything else I can do with my router? Can you hook this directly into a modem to eliminate my internal network?

Thanks
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Looking for some recommendations. When I originally bought MJ+ I was running it in parallel with my Time Warner phone. I forwarded my number from TW to MJ+. This worked flawlessly in and out with no audio issues. After two weeks I decided to port my number. After the number finally ported this is when all my audio issues (choppy/clipping) started. I only here it on the receive end the far end says I sound fine. I tested right at the Telephony modem and the audio issues were still present. TW suggested I switch out the telephony modem for a standard cable modem which I have done. Still the audio problem resides at the modem interface. What kind of tests can I run or trace against my ISP to verify I have a good connecton. The package I have is 10 meg DL and 1meg UL. I have ran speed tests and those come out better than what I pay for. Are there any kind of jitter or latency tests I can run? If so what utilities. Also this seems to be more of an issue at night. If I make calls first thing in the morning the quality is better. Could it be MJ+'s servers being overloaded? Could my ISP put something on my service to create this quality issue. I'm looking for your help.

THX
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some test results of a VOIP test I ran. It looks like the jitter is way to high. What can the ISP do for me?

Test Type: Voice over IP
Downstream Jitter: 142.5ms
Downstream Loss: 0.2 %
Downstream Packet Order: 99.6 %
Upstream Jitter: 3.6ms
Upstream Loss: 0 %
Upstream Packet Order: 100.0 %
Packet Discards: 0.4 %
MOS Score: 1.2
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called TW and they are coming out tomorrow. They confirmed issues with my quality. I will update tomorrow.
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 1st tech came out walked around in circles in the yard, replaced modem, pinged google, ran speed test. Tossed him out got the supervisor and a better tech but just basically checking signal. However they noticed something and sent it to a network tech and this was the guy I was looking for. I explained my situation and he ran multiple intrusive test's. He then brought his telephony modem out and test phone. Hooked into my service and we made a call no issues. Went back to my modem and MJ+ clipping and choppy voice. Bottom line once I ported my number out all packet prioritization GONE. Simply put when you have phone service thru your ISP they prioritize that traffic. This is why at peak times my quality degrades. I guess I will run with this for a year and re-evaluate at the end of this year. MIne works good in the morning but at night it's OK. For the $70 investment it is still worth it.

Is there a list of MJ+'s proxy servers where ping test's can be done at peak time? Also can you change this on the MJ+?
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound like there blocking Mj+ and not telling you i wold find a other net service if you can. but also try your Mj at a few friend and see if it works there better good luck to you
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you figure? It works perfectly fine off-peak hours. Wouldn't I have the issue all the time if this were the case? My first thought to all of this was I lost priority when I ported out. The network team confirmed that with testing they did yesterday. When they plugged there telephony modem into the network it knows based on a DHCP scope to give the unit priority if it is a particular device. Since I have a straight data modem it treats every packet the same. It doesn't care whether it's voice or data because no priority is given. In the voice modem it probably tagged all voice packets and untagged all data packets. Now everything is untagged. I thought about going to a friends house but that is not a true apples to apples comparison. The only true comparison would to have another MJ+ at my house to test to see if I would have the same issue which I would. Anyways the packet would only be prioritized until it gets to the ISP's server. What would they be blocking anyway?
scotty200

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you ported your number they must know who you ported to and then they may slow your sip at peak hours so hopefully u will go back to them. did u try the mj+ b4 you ported and did it have the same truble at the same times ?
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried this for a month without issue. Slowing my SIP down??? This does not make sense to me. My speeds are consistently fine in the 20's for DL. How does one slow down one certain protocol? Packet prioritization "QOS" is what is key to have good Voice quality along with bandwidth and speed. Plus I monitor my calls with Wireshark and the informations process's quickly I don't they can slow a certain protocol down. I would think my entire service would be slower and it is not.
scotty200

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISP can slow down any protocol ( EG- file) by throttling it in most case they wold want to slow down stuff like torrent and file shearing stuff so my be there software (EG- net management) is mistaking it as such it wold not be a bad idea to see if your MJ+ works better on a friend net also did u get mj latest upgrade? there only been one i know of so far. also have you tried to use a new Ethernet cable as the one that came with mine was bad

is your cable modem also a router?
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all my cables have been replaced. I have a separate router running Tomato firmware. How to you go about verifying that you have the update and how do you retrieve it?
scotty200

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just have to plug it in to your computer and if it need to be updated it should update automatically that what i had to do to get the update . most likely if you did plug it in your computer recently it wold have . also you can go to mj tech chat and ask them to reset your mj + also if it did not update they can send u the link and that may help too

hope this help's in some way and good luck to you
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and yes that has all been done. The proxy change has worked. I had to try 3 different servers but found one that is clear all the time. The only issue is when I originate a call the connect time can be immediate to 30 seconds. I can deal with that for clarity. For the 10 times a year I use the house phone $20 is a steal. Thanks for the information Scotty.
jaywilliams
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Bad audio on MJ+ Reply with quote

Hi shleets & scotty200,

I started having the same audio problems shleets described at the same time (early February) with my new MJ+. One difference is that I didn't (couldn't) port my old number, but I did upgrade my Internet service to Fibre optics 15 mbps up / down. As soon as we got our new service and cancelled the phone service, audio quality is choppy, difficult to hear, dropped calls, etc. Not even as good as a cell phone.

I've spent hours on chat with MJ, but nothing we tried worked. Today I had someone help me do a DMZ bypass of my router's firewall, but it doesn't seem to have helped either. I'm getting really frustrated but am not sure what else I can try. Any suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: