magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Check Phone Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpetell
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Check Phone Line

I have magic jack plus and it has been working pretty well. I have had it working connected to the computer to register it and then connected to my router. I bought some of the add on magic jack options but realized that they only work with magic jack plus connected to my PC so I decided to go back to having magic jack plus connected to my computer. However this doesn't work anymore. It works connected to my router but not to my computer USB port. I have tried different USB ports with the same result. The phone displays a message "check phone line" I know this works with the same phone line connected to my magic jack adapter connected to my router. Why does it not work when I connect it to my computer?

Thanks,
John
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Check Phone Line

jpetell wrote:
I have magic jack plus and it has been working pretty well. I have had it working connected to the computer to register it and then connected to my router. I bought some of the add on magic jack options but realized that they only work with magic jack plus connected to my PC so I decided to go back to having magic jack plus connected to my computer. However this doesn't work anymore. It works connected to my router but not to my computer USB port. I have tried different USB ports with the same result. The phone displays a message "check phone line" I know this works with the same phone line connected to my magic jack adapter connected to my router. Why does it not work when I connect it to my computer?

Thanks,
John

I would start from scratch. Downlaod the MJREMOVER program from the MJ site and start again...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jpetell
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Check Phone Line

I uninstalled magicjack and rebooted my computer. then i reinstalled magicjack with the same result "check phone line" on my phone. I then moved the magicjack adapter to a different usb port, rebooted my computer and got the same result. What else can I try?

Thanks,
John
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Check Phone Line

jpetell wrote:
I uninstalled magicjack and rebooted my computer. then i reinstalled magicjack with the same result "check phone line" on my phone. I then moved the magicjack adapter to a different usb port, rebooted my computer and got the same result. What else can I try?

Thanks,
John

Can you try it on another PC? Almost sounds as if the phone jack went bad, but you say it works on the router.. If it works on another PC then there is something on yours MJ does not like.
Did you add any USB devices since you registered the MJ? It is possible there is not enough power being supplied to the USB port(s). Try removing all other USB devices and then plug the MJ into a REAR port USB port ( they are directly connected to the MotherBoard) and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jpetell
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Check Phone Line

Joe,

I thought the magicjack adapter can only be registered to one PC.

Also, I have not added any new USB devices and it was working on my PC for awhile before I decided to connect it directly to the router to try to address some call quality issues. I bought magicjack features, magicring forever and magic silence to address other issues. Now I can't use any of these since it won't work connected to my computer. I am surprised that my phone worked connected to the router through the magicjack adapter after magicjack was uninstalled.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Check Phone Line

[quote="jpetell"]Joe,

I thought the magicjack adapter can only be registered to one PC.

Also, I have not added any new USB devices and it was working on my PC for awhile before I decided to connect it directly to the router to try to address some call quality issues. I bought magicjack features, magicring forever and magic silence to address other issues. Now I can't use any of these since it won't work connected to my computer. I am surprised that my phone worked connected to the router through the magicjack adapter after magicjack was uninstalled.[/quote

No you can use the MJ dongle on ANY PC. MagicFeatures and the other programs are registered to that MJ dongle and they too can be moved to another PC, just NOT another MJ dongle.
Something obviously changed, be it on your PC or on the MJ dongle. That is why I suggested you try it on another PC.. If the problem follows your MJ then chances are it is the MJ which somehow went bad. If it works on another PC then we know where the problem could be.
Dumb question, have you tried another phone??? If not, I would, regardless if it worked before with your MJ.
jpetell
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Check Phone Line

Joe,

It does work on my other PC so the problem is with the first PC. Since I have uninstalled MJ plus and reinstalled it a few times I don't know where the problem lies. It may be with the drivers it needs to download and install. On my second computer it looks like it downloaded and installed at least 4 and maybe 5 drivers. I don't think the MC Plus uninstall really uninstalled these drivers and reinstalled them with a fresh install. I guess if I knew what all the drivers were I could manually uninstall them to see if this works. Maybe something in the registry got corrupted or something related to my USB stuff.

John
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Phone Line

jpetell wrote:
Joe,

It does work on my other PC so the problem is with the first PC. Since I have uninstalled MJ plus and reinstalled it a few times I don't know where the problem lies. It may be with the drivers it needs to download and install. On my second computer it looks like it downloaded and installed at least 4 and maybe 5 drivers. I don't think the MC Plus uninstall really uninstalled these drivers and reinstalled them with a fresh install. I guess if I knew what all the drivers were I could manually uninstall them to see if this works. Maybe something in the registry got corrupted or something related to my USB stuff.

John

MAYBE you might be able to do a system restore before you hooked up the plus to your current PC. I am not sure how far back the restore point is but it is worth a shot. At least now you know it is not the MJ..
Once I had some weird stuff happen with my USB Flash drive. So I went into device manager and deleted EVERYTHING I could under the USB section there. When I rebooted all of the drivers were reinstalled and my flash drive worked just fine again. One hint be sure to delete the mouse USB entry last ( I did not) I had to do the rest via the keyboard..
lfran119
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Check tel line

Hi, I had the same problem. It turned out to be the USB to socket adapter (5volt power supply). The little adapter that the MJ+ dongle plugs into, then that plugs into the outlet. I put in a new and that solved the problem. Hope that helps. Very Happy
Cre
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Check tel line

From above: "Hi, I had the same problem. It turned out to be the USB to socket adapter (5volt power supply). The little adapter that the MJ+ dongle plugs into, then that plugs into the outlet. I put in a new and that solved the problem. Hope that helps."

This was EXACTLY my problem too. I had an extra one laying around from an old cell phone charger, swapped it out, and it worked just fine! Viola!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: