magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change number of rings before vmail kicks in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedizzel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing Number of Rings for Magic Jack Reply with quote

angelotrin wrote:
Hi fellow users,

I just wanted to share this (valuable info) in the hopes of saving you the time and trouble.

The posted solutions to "increasing the number of rings" before MJ Voicemail system picks up, so your own Answering Machine can pick up first, DOES WORK. (Others said it could not be done - check this http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/increase-the-number-of-rings-in-mj-s-voicemail-t6940.html)

One user suggested Magicbeans and said it worked. Haven't tried that, didn't like the idea of spending added $13. (Heres the URL http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/voicemail-live-chat-support-t857.html)

The other cheaper solution is to -- Here's the summary again.
-----With MagicJack Running------
Renamed: %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\big.skn to big.skn.old
From MagicJack: Menu->Advanced Users->Restart
Transfer Button: On no Answer for 20 sec. <Your MagicJack#> in Number Window.
( <Your MagicJack#> is your 7 digit MagicJack phone# as in 1234567890 )
Set Answer machine to 6 rings.
Renamed: Renamed: %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\big.skn.old to big.skn
From MagicJack: Exit
Relaunch from %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\MagicJackLoader.exe

Or you can use regedit if youre ok with tweaking your PCs registry. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\Options\Calling Options ... and then... set CFNoAnswerTimeout 25 (decimal).

OK HERE'S my valuable info. All THIS WORKS, until you restart the computer. Somehow when windows starts and Magic Jack loads it sets its settings to default again and Im stuck with MJ Voicemail answering after 4 rings again.[/url]

THIS does not work, MagicJack just rewrites the file/files. I am very frustrated, reading and reading thru the posts about diabling voicemail and extending the rings. I have tried everything i have read and nothing is working. MJ just inignores the changes and rewrites. MJ people are bastards, techsupport just says "oh we are working on it" BULLSHIT! Its a simple enough piece of code to rewrite....it will be in an updated version in which i/future users will have to purchase......How ya all did it who knows and if yer smokin somtin,,,,, gimmie some to ease the pain of getting this cursed thing
Dock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Magicbeans Reply with quote

Magicbeans has a glitch of its own, which prevents most Qwest DSL users from installing it. I spoke to the author/owner of Magicbeans on the phone personally: He has programmed his installation sequence to reject as invalid one-letter email extensions (e.g., @q.com, which is the common extension for Qwest email users). Qwest is the only service available where I live, and submitting your email address is necessary to download and install Magibeans. He says he will "consider" fixing this issue in future editions of Magicbeans, but no "fix" has thus far been forthcoming, and I seriously doubt that it ever will.

I also agree with those who say that MagicJack should have included such obvious features as being able to increase the number of rings (so that your better answering machine can pick up) and call forwarding. You shouldn't have to pay $13 (for Magicbeans) for features that obviously should have been included in MagicJack. Evil or Very Mad
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see this as much of an issue. Just get a free mail account (almost anywhere) and forward it into your @q.com email account. That way Magic Beans has a full email account as needed and all voice mail goes into your @q.com account.
Dock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Magicbeans Reply with quote

What Diggs has pointed out is true, and I obtained an online email account for this purpose. But I think it misses the point that this is just more hassle that could have been avoided if MagicJack had been designed properly.

At some point all the little hassles begin to add up, and combine to become a fairly large pain in the butt.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicbeans Reply with quote

Dock wrote:

At some point all the little hassles begin to add up, and combine to become a fairly large pain in the butt.

Agreed. At that point you have to ask yourself if phone service for $1.67/month is worth it. Obviously there are other alternatives, but almost all cost more.
Dock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Magicbeans Reply with quote

Thanks, Diggs. Part of the value of forums such as this is to illuminate the issues in a dialectic fashion so that readers and visitors can make informed choices and decisions.

Obviously, I have more important things to do in life that haggle over a few dollars, but hopefully our dialogue in this forum will enlighten newbies of the pros, cons, and workarounds; and that is why I took the time of posting a few remarks. Best of luck to all in this matter, and thanks again to Diggs for helping to spotlight and focus a little thinking on the relevant issues involved with MagicJack and Magicbeans. Very Happy
Mephi
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing Number of Rings for Magic Jack Reply with quote

angelotrin wrote:
Hi fellow users,

The other cheaper solution is to -- Here's the summary again.
-----With MagicJack Running------
Renamed: %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\big.skn to big.skn.old
From MagicJack: Menu->Advanced Users->Restart
-----------------------------
Transfer Button: On no Answer for 20 sec. <Your MagicJack#> in Number Window.
( <Your MagicJack#> is your 7 digit MagicJack phone# as in 1234567890 )
Set Answer machine to 6 rings.
----------------------------------
Where is this "transfer button"?

Renamed: Renamed: %userprofile%\Application data\mjusbsp\big.skn.old to big.skn
From MagicJack: Exit
Relaunch from %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp\MagicJackLoader.exe

Or you can use regedit if youre ok with tweaking your PCs registry. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\Options\Calling Options ... and then... set CFNoAnswerTimeout 25 (decimal).

OK HERE'S my valuable info. All THIS WORKS, until you restart the computer. Somehow when windows starts and Magic Jack loads it sets its settings to default again and Im stuck with MJ Voicemail answering after 4 rings again.[/url]
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware all useful registry hacks were disabled in magicJack's new dialer (Rel. 2.0.x).

If you simply need longer to get to your own phone to physically answer it, the closest fit to what you are looking for is probably going to be the "MagicRingForever" Plugin. It disables the voice mail pickup that occurs after 24 seconds and provides continuous ringing.

The "MagicRingForever" Plugin is free to try for up to 7 days. For further information, see the "magicJack related items For Sale / Wanted" section of this forum.
dylanspep1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: disable VM Reply with quote

had the same problem MG VM picking up at what seems to be 3 rings... SOLVED: by using call fowarding to my MG number.... gives me enough rings for home answering machine...
matinee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried this & it did not work for me. Please explain how you got forwarding to your own mj # worked.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matinee wrote:
I just tried this & it did not work for me. Please explain how you got forwarding to your own mj # worked.

That's because he used it on his MG number not his MJ number Smile

I believe in the past for some people that tricked worked. I do not believe you can do it any longer.
As far as I know the only sure way is to use MagicJack Ringforever by http://www.pcphonesoft.com/, it is not free but there is a 7 day free trial period. Sadly they had a 40% off sale that I think expired on Nov 30th...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually very simple. Go to MajicJack.com and log in to your account. Click on tab "call features". Leave voice mail on. Next to "Delay" choose amount of time from drop down menu. Your phone will ring until the amount of time chosen is up, then vm will kick in. Mine rings 7-8 times before the 30 seconds I selected are up.
Jonnyhhh
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEOPLE! What dumb company would not allow these changes?! They just don't realize how annoyingly hard to find them it is, right?
You just go here: https://web04.magicjack.com/my/voicemail-onoffdelay.html

You're welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: