magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cant repair the HD in the TC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisbell
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Cant repair the HD in the TC Reply with quote

I have a 10gb HD in the TC and recently I started getting an error that says it cannot start Windows (XP) because of a missing or corrupted file. Something called -........windows\system32\config\system. And then suggests that I can repair it by booting from the original XP CD and hitting the "r" on the first screen.

The rub comes when I boot from the original XP CD and it DOESNT present the first screen but just goes merrily into transferring files to the HD and eventually, 15 minutes, or more, later, says it is restarting windows....but it doesnt.

And after turning everything off and trying to reboot from the HD,. I still get the error message.

Its in a loop.

Anyone know the way out??

I tried booting from my Win ME CD thinking maybe I could reinstall ME first. But it says the CD isnt even a usable CD!!!!
Sad
Alpman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using an OEM XP install disc it probably won't have the repair installation or recovery console options. Use a full retail version disc and perform a repair installation. This will overwrite the OS files but will retain everything else you have installed, preserving your programs and settings. The one hiccup you'll run into is that you will have to reactivate Windows with the CD-key from the retail disc. Then you'll be golden...
jimisbell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the full retail version for UPDATE, that is why I keep the ME CD around so when It asks for it I can put it in. BUT, it doesnt ask, it just starts transferring files.
Alpman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience the Upgrade disc usually won't work. You need a FULL retail disk to perform a Repair Install. It should actually begin to copy files to load the installer, but it will only copying file to RAM. It may ask if you want to Repair using the Recovery Console (this is NOT the Repair Install option) or Install Windows. Choose Install Windows. Then it will look for existing versions of Windows and ask if you want to perform a Repair installation or a New Installation. The Repair Installation will take just as long to perform as a fresh install, but you will retain your settings and programs. If it does not ask if you want to repair the existing installation then do not go any further or could will wipe the drive. Hit F3 to quit and reboot.

Alternatively you could try to Repair using the Recovery Console when it asks you to, log into the Windows Admin account (usually #1) and enter this at the command prompt:

chkdsk c: -r

This will run check disk and recover data. It may or may not work, but it's worth a shot if you don't want to reinstall everything from scratch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: