magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot make calls in my own area code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanstokes
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Cannot make calls in my own area code Reply with quote

I have purchased and installed MJ+; ported my landline number and ended my local service. MJ+ works fine, good sound quality. However, as the month goes on, I am finding there are several numbers in my own area code 928 , that will not go through. These are local calls and I get a recorded message "This call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and dial again". I am creating a list of local calls that I am forced to use my cell phone in order to talk to them. I can make all the long distance calls I want with no problem. I have notified MJ Customer Service chat line 3 times and had lengthy calls where they tested the numbers and confirmed the calls cannot be completed from my number. They say the issue is being addressed by Engineers and they will get back to me. No one ever gets back to me and each time I complain, I get the same answer.
Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?? Thanks for any help.
c4yourself2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you are using the local area code.

I am unable to use this to call my step mother, but I thought it was divine intervention..... she is also in the same area code as myself.
So far that is the only number that I cannot use, I get out the trusty cell phone for that one, by the way she lives approx. 20 miles away.

Chuck
mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same issue here. Also heard from another user in my state. They also have this problem. I can call other people in these exchanges without a problem. The few people I can't call, can call me. I haven't tried support yet because it's not a huge issue for me. I am a little curious though considering it's not a problem with the area code or exchange being blocked. Call anyone!!haha. Isn't that what they say over and over again in the infomercial. Yeah right!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjplus2000 wrote:
The few people I can't call, can call me. I haven't tried support yet because it's not a huge issue for me. I am a little curious though considering it's not a problem with the area code or exchange being blocked.

Other than Alaska (which only has one), I'm not sure there are reports of them blocking an entire area code.

But regardless, I'm not positive you can totally rule out that numbers you are trying to call are not being blocked. The fact that they can call you but you can't call them fits the blocking scenario perfectly.

They are blocking numbers that they don't have termination agreements with on a particular carrier. Per another forum, apparently an exchange can be divided between multiple carriers. So unless you know for sure that people, in the same exchange, that you can't call have the same carrier as the people you can call, blocking could be your issue.
mwCT
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Another Forum Link on the Issue Reply with quote

FYI.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/outbound-calls-t11779.html
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has compiled a list of numbers that cannot be called with MJ. See:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=12NaeRBrgWor0YAx1ladCXjpOayC2HZo2EW2XFIfgJvU

Google Voice (free until the end of 2012) is a workaround for calling blocked numbers, except some of the conference call ones. Sign up at:

www.google.com/voice

I've used Google Voice to call blocked numbers and it works fine. There is the extra step of calling GV and then dialing the desired number, which I consider a minor inconvenience.
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just doubled checked(just to be sure). The service provider for the 2 numbers is At&t. Most of the other numbers I call are At&t landlines and cell phone numbers. There are a couple people I call who have comcast voip. So far every call I've made has been flawless accept for those 2 numbers. Maybe it's the way the call is routed? Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: