magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Canada and other stupid magic tricks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Canada and other stupid magic tricks Reply with quote

It appears that inserting a * after the first digit of a number changes the selected carrier, providing a workaround for various troubles.

Examples:

4*167895161 -- call Canada reliably.
8*004377950 -- sends your MJ number as ANI, instead of Choice One's (also spoofable). Useful when calling companies that use ANI to identify you or your location.
2*128675309 -- workaround for present spoofing woes.
5*122345789 (where 512-234-5789 is your own MJ number) -- test if your MJ is reachable from the PSTN (should show incoming on softphone and go to VM after 4 rings.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can dial this way from a phone connected to a MJ (they're painting my flat and the MJ is in a closet behind the plastic sheeting). Someone please try this for me. If it doesn't work, see if it works dialing from the softphone. I'll then edit this post accordingly.

Edit: It turns out that when dialing via MJ, you can't call with the above formats, because the software thinks that the number is complete after 10 characters and the last digit never gets sent. However, if you precede the number by *67 (normally would block caller ID but that's not implemented yet), then the call will go as expected. For example, dial *678*004377950. (If you are using an ATA or IP phone and have the dial plan set correctly, the *67 is not needed.)

Last edited by Stewart on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart really knows MJ Cool Laughing

How the heck do you know all these tricks? You're not working for MJ, are you? Wink Laughing
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know *how* he knows it, I'm just happy he does... I just spoofed the 800 call capture number I have using the *67 first and it worked like a charm. Amazing... simply amazing!

BTW, I also tested spoofing it on a number from a different post on the forum [866-692-6447] and it worked perfectly. It's supposed to be used for testing your ANI but spoofed it to the number in my CallerID spoofer.
dogfish
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Nice Work Reply with quote

Stewart,
Not sure what they're feeding you over there in Stewartland, but I can use a double helping of it. Hehe Your fix works like a dream. The only problem is Dan and the gang will see these posts and change something else, but until they catch up with us my annoying brother will still get calls from me everywhere but at home. Very Happy
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart, Idea

You, bud, are a genius. Razz There never was a resolution to my problems in this thread. But, your new information works. Yeah, it's a workaround...

But, again, I can use my GC number to make my calls, and everyone gets it. Woohoo!

I've verified that it works on: Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T Wireless, JoiPhone, Virgin Mobile (Sprint), and T-Mobile.

Without this tip, spoofing caller ID does not work at all for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gooney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada and other stupid magic tricks Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
It appears that inserting a * after the first digit of a number changes the selected carrier, providing a workaround for various troubles.

Examples:

4*167895161 -- call Canada reliably.
8*004377950 -- sends your MJ number as ANI, instead of Choice One's (also spoofable). Useful when calling companies that use ANI to identify you or your location.
2*128675309 -- workaround for present spoofing woes.
5*122345789 (where 512-234-5789 is your own MJ number) -- test if your MJ is reachable from the PSTN (should show incoming on softphone and go to VM after 4 rings.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can dial this way from a phone connected to a MJ (they're painting my flat and the MJ is in a closet behind the plastic sheeting). Someone please try this for me. If it doesn't work, see if it works dialing from the softphone. I'll then edit this post accordingly.

Edit: It turns out that when dialing via MJ, you can't call with the above formats, because the software thinks that the number is complete after 10 characters and the last digit never gets sent. However, if you precede the number by *67 (normally would block caller ID but that's not implemented yet), then the call will go as expected. For example, dial *678*004377950. (If you are using an ATA or IP phone and have the dial plan set correctly, the *67 is not needed.)

Sticky...Thank you!

gooney - Salt lake City, UT (801)
Don't mind me grammar cuzz it sukks!!
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - a little confused Confused Does this work with the spoofer software? Do I leave the spoofer as is and just change the way I am making outgoing calls?
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you change the number that you send. If you are using an ATA/IP phone/Asterisk/etc., the device dial plan may have to be changed to permit such numbers to be sent.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now verified that it works on: Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T Wireless, AT&T Business landlines, JoiPhone, Virgin Mobile (Sprint), and T-Mobile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
teddy_b
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart,

Do you know what position to insert * when dialing international numbers 011[Country][Area][Phone#]?
Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, just saw your post on the other thread: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/dialing-canadian-numbers-not-working-again-yesterday-evening-t1240.html Sad.
neecy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart, thank you so much - this solved my problems!
Scotty
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here'd the deal...

MJ works for me dialing cell numbers both inbound and outbound (Fido,Telus) in the Toronto area. My MJ number is from area code (617)

I can dial 800 numbers with no issues. However, I tried dialing using a local (416) number - ie.416-439-0000 (Pizza Nova)
Nothing.... tried the softphone also.. nothing - it shows that it's making the call on the software - but nothing.

I tried dialing 4*164390000 ... same thing (shows it working) but no call going through.

If I dial a local number without the area code - it does work - but thats in the east boston area! LOL -

Any other ideas?
gary

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty;

Try *674*164390000 Exclamation
Scotty
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....

It was a no go... tried doing: *674*390000 - no dialing sound. Is it because of my MJ area code 617 number??

I tried calling a local Pizza joint in Boston (617) ... called local without the area code and got through - so I know I can make local calls in the Boston area... but I live in Toronto, ONT Canada.... I want to make locals within (416)

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
It was a no go... tried doing: *674*390000 - no dialing sound. Is it because of my MJ area code 617 number??
What happens when you dial *674*164390000 ? The other format stands a chance of working only if you spoof a 416 number, otherwise a 7-digit number will default to the area code of your MJ. From here, I can get 416-439-0000 ok, with or without the *67 hack. The difference is probably either the proxy you are using (easy to change) or your MJ area code (much harder). Use Wireshark to see what proxy you are registering with, then make a hosts file entry to try e.g. San Francisco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: