magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Caller ID *WITH NAME* came through today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Caller ID *WITH NAME* came through today! Reply with quote

Either I've been "missing something" for the past couple of years and just never noticed it before or this is truly something new, but...

Today for the first time that I'm aware of I received a call on my MJ Plus-connected phone from a number that I did NOT have stored in my phone's contact directory - and the NAME of the caller (along with their phone number) showed up in the caller id display!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likely an anomaly. Resources for this info are almost always provided by a third party service, and they do charge. Not something MJ would offer gratuitously.

Let us know if there is a more credible circumstance that doesn't involve MJ providing free services...

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
likely an anomaly. Resources for this info are almost always provided by a third party service, and they do charge. Not something MJ would offer gratuitously.

Let us know if there is a more credible circumstance that doesn't involve MJ providing free services...

- Some people claim that they've been receive names along with numbers right from day one. These are "credible" reports.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: New Caller ID With Name Service Seems To Be For Real Reply with quote

Well, *I* DEFINITELY had NOT been receiving any caller id with name data until just a few days ago, and since then it has continued. Today I discovered that the name data is now even being included in VOICEMAIL EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS - I've NEVER seen *that* before... when I saw it in a notification today I was so startled to see it that it actually kind of creeped me out Wink
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

- Some people claim that they've been receive names along with numbers right from day one. These are "credible" reports.

"credible" indeed. I had MJs for 31/2 years and it never happened once and even their worthless CS admitted that they did not provide that feature. If they do now, that's an improvement indeed, like a beautiful designer label on a bottle of urine and should be appreciated.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

"credible" indeed. I had MJs for 31/2 years and it never happened once and even their worthless CS admitted that they did not provide that feature. If they do now, that's an improvement indeed, like a beautiful designer label on a bottle of urine and should be appreciated.

- REGARDLESS, caller id with name is coming through on my MJ+.
If you dislike MJ so much, why do you still use it?
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- REGARDLESS, caller id with name is coming through on my MJ+.

I never said it was not coming through on your CID.

Quote:
-
If you dislike MJ so much, why do you still use it?

I do not. off course, it took a while till the subscriptions expired, but now it is over.
Here is why I am still posting: MJ very successfully flooded the country with it's misleading propaganda.That steals business from better, far more honest providers and at the same time gives VOIP a bad name because a lot of people who went through MJ experience now think that ALL VOIP is as miserable and crooked. Bad for us.
On the top of it, this is not an official MJ forum. If it were, I would not bother.
It's " independence" gives it a dangerous level of credibility especially since just about the only people left here are the fan boys. I honestly wish Magic Jack would officially take over this forum. But I guess they know why they do not.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I do not. off course, it took a while till the subscriptions expired, but now it is over.
Here is why I am still posting: MJ very successfully flooded the country with it's misleading propaganda.That steals business from better, far more honest providers and at the same time gives VOIP a bad name because a lot of people who went through MJ experience now think that ALL VOIP is as miserable and crooked. Bad for us.
On the top of it, this is not an official MJ forum. If it were, I would not bother.
It's " independence" gives it a dangerous level of credibility especially since just about the only people left here are the fan boys. I honestly wish Magic Jack would officially take over this forum. But I guess they know why they do not.

It's my understanding that the purpose of this website is to serve as peer-support vehicle for users of the magicJack service.
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
cell14 wrote:

It's my understanding that the purpose of this website is to serve as peer-support vehicle for users of the magicJack service.

...... and a site where "new" customers can read warnings about dishonest tactics, lies , smoke and mirrors from Magicjack.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
SteveHC wrote:
cell14 wrote:

...... and a site where "new" customers can read warnings about dishonest tactics, lies , smoke and mirrors from Magicjack.

....and to provide "Alternatives to Magic Jack"...
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:

- Yes. that's what the "Alternatives to magicJack" section is for.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
cell14 wrote:

- Yes. that's what the "Alternatives to magicJack" section is for.

Oh really. Threads have latitude. But some people would like to have as little as possible negative comments about MJ.

Now, I said it at least 3 times but I will reiterate that. In the first 2 years after I signed up with MJ ( 2008) I made at least 6 reviews of the service on different web sites, all cautiously positive. In spite of the fact that I intensely disliked the company and it's owner from the day one and the service has always been one step above a child's toy. So what has changed?
First, the price. When I signed up, it was really exactly 19.95/year straight. No surcharges or anything. For really free calling across US/CAN. All numbers, incl. conferencing. Call forwarding. Now that has all changed.
Second, and more importantly. There was no other choice in that price range. You had to pay multiple time as much to get the next cheapest. It was a choice between flimsy and almost free and better, but pricey. And I always told that ti everyone. Now that has changed. There is a phenomenal choice of providers who provide awesome service for prices barely above MJ. Providers dropped their cost and improved choices and service.
Third, Google voice. Whether it is with Obi(best choice) or Simonics, GV jack, GV mate or whatever, it is FREE. 95% plus of people will agree that the call quality, consistency and reliability is far superior to MJ. Yes, there are people who due to local ISP issues have problems with GV but I need to see one really credible report that in such situation Magic Jack works much better. My experience is just the opposite, I found that in areas with miserable broadband MJ becomes unusable while GV still works.
So, if someone needs dirt cheap, why disguise the truth and talk up magic Jack? Especially since there is zero advertisement for GV since Google just tolerates outbound calling through GV. On an 'independent' forum people should get info they do not get elsewhere.
BTW,Steve, I do not want to be too nosy but maybe you want to PM the more exact location where you live in SW FL so next time I am in the area I can test how GV through Obi works there, just to verify your claim that it was so bad that you had to use MJ. Wink .
If it works for you, fine , keep it and be happy. But do not let others believe that it might be a good solution for them because it very likely isn't.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"cell14" - AS I've REPEATEDLY stated both here and elsewhere, when it comes to cheap VOIP reliability and quality is a crapshoot pretty much everywhere for everybody - meaning that one (or more) providers may work absolutely great for one person and yet the same provider may turn out to be absolutely terrible for another - even though both may be in the same geographical area.

It's not even just a matter of who one's ISP is. One can have an absolutely wonderful experience with a given VOIP provider and a given ISP in a given neighborhood within a given town, while another person with the exact same VOIP provider and ISP in the exact same town but in a different neighborhood may have a terrible experience... and that doesn't even account for differences in in-home or in-office LAN equipment, which can ALSO make a difference.

Consequently I cannot say that any one cheap ISP provider is necessarily any better or worse than any other regarding call reliability and quality... the nature of the complaints seem to be similar across all of them. So for everybody it appears to be a matter of trial and error.

On pricing, OBVIOUSLY GV is among the cheapest - you can't get cheaper than free, which by definition generally eliminates any problems related to billing etc. But being free does one little good if one tries it and finds it to be of unacceptable quality and/or reliability. And the same goes for any *other* VOIP service that one might try... regardless of cost.

Among those that cost, MJ is certainly still one of the cheapest. But when it comes to billing problems, charging for features that were once included at no additional cost, etc. the company certainly has its share of critics - and I have been and still am one of them. Nevertheless I continue to find that MJ works very well for me in my particular installation.

Aside from all of that, I find your apparently growing "need" to do nothing here on this site but to criticize not just MJ but now also to insult posters such as me and others who have had success with the service to be both a worsening annoyance and quite infantile as well. Our reporting on our experiences and our willingness to help others achieve the best performance with MJ does not warrant your implied and/or blatant insults.
greenman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I call my magicJack phone now from skype, it shows both my skype-out phone number and my skype handle. Sweet.
MarkAA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - or anyone else

I have only been with MJ+ for a few weeks but over the last couple of days, I also (like Steve) got caller ID with Name on two calls (out of many). They were not numbers in my phone. So, ... how does that work mysteriously sometimes. I would of course like it to work all the time. I get the phone number which MJ refers to as "caller ID", but have not seen the caller Name until now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: