magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caller ID only number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicraz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Caller ID only number Reply with quote

Now that I've been using the MJ+ I noticed that the caller ID shows only the number of the person calling me but not the name. You know like with landlines you see the name of the company or person calling you, does MJ+ NOT have this feature or what's the deal?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Caller ID only number Reply with quote

nicraz wrote:
Now that I've been using the MJ+ I noticed that the caller ID shows only the number of the person calling me but not the name. You know like with landlines you see the name of the company or person calling you, does MJ+ NOT have this feature or what's the deal?

MJ has NEVER had the Caller ID name.... Not even with the orig MJ....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nicraz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that's something that ought to be improved if they want to push the whole "replace your landline with MJ" deal.

I wonder, how much work is required to make the caller ID name work on the MJ system.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicraz wrote:
Well I think that's something that ought to be improved if they want to push the whole "replace your landline with MJ" deal.

I wonder, how much work is required to make the caller ID name work on the MJ system.

With the Orig MJ you can get an add-on called MagicFeatures which did just that and MUCH more http://www.pcphonesoft.com/. NO it does not currently work with the +

Also some cordless phones ( and I "assume" corded phones) will give you the name of the caller if they are in your phonebook on your phone when it sees the assoc. number via caller ID. My Uniden does that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicraz wrote:

CNAME service is not free for phone providers. mJ would probably have to raise their rates to support CNAME. This is also why Google Voice does not support CNAME.

Dave
Pablo123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettalk has CNAME for incoming caller ID.
nicraz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
nicraz wrote:

With the Orig MJ you can get an add-on called MagicFeatures which did just that and MUCH more http://www.pcphonesoft.com/. NO it does not currently work with the +

Also some cordless phones ( and I "assume" corded phones) will give you the name of the caller if they are in your phonebook on your phone when it sees the assoc. number via caller ID. My Uniden does that.

Yeah, I have an Uniden phone too and I can store the numbers there. But I would much rather have the regular CNAME.

On another note, I haven't decided if I'm going to keep MJ+, it turns out my internet will go up if I decide to cancel my phone (I have phone+internet with Comcast). So I'm not sure if it's worth it since there are a few issues with MJ+.

I don't know if it's true that NetTalk has CNAMe. If that was the case, then MJ should be able to find a way to make it work. NetTalk costs the same as MJ+.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have netTALK and it does have CNAME, FYI Magic jack copied the netTALK pricing and renewal.
sicnarf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
nicraz wrote:

Just checked the pcphonesoft.com site and on the front page it says it now supports MJ+, however, I don't want to leave my computer on all the time. Anyone else know of any options (besides a NetTalk)? For some reason my Uniden isn't showing caller names despite numbers and names being stored in the phonebook. Thanks!
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicFeatures now supports the MJ+ but it must be connected to the computers USB port to use the extra features. Very Happy
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: CallerID Name is so-so with magicJack. Reply with quote

From my experience, it really depends on who the caller's service is. If it's another MJ user, as always, it'll say "unknown." Private numbers will say "Anonymous". In most other cases, it'll just say the number in both fields

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bikegeek2/012-1.jpg
MagicJack revision 3

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bikegeek2/number.jpg
Typical phone number in both fields

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bikegeek2/magicjackuser.jpg
Another magicJack user

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bikegeek2/014-2.jpg
Private number

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/bikegeek2/fullnameandnumber.jpg
Full Name and Number! No magicFeatures or other plugins installed. This is an incoming call from a Time Warner Cable Digital Phone user.
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: CallerID Name is so-so with magicJack. Reply with quote

cubecompmtdx wrote:
Full Name and Number! No magicFeatures or other plugins installed. This is an incoming call from a Time Warner Cable Digital Phone user.

Is this some sort of fluke? I've heard a couple other users say that this happened to them and it was totally random. Maybe mj is actually working on giving us this feature. Would be nice.
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CallerID Name is so-so with magicJack. Reply with quote

mjplus2000 wrote:
cubecompmtdx wrote:

Is this some sort of fluke? I've heard a couple other users say that this happened to them and it was totally random. Maybe mj is actually working on giving us this feature. Would be nice.

I was actually doing a video review of Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. I called my magicJack number from my parent's TW phone. I was really surprised as it was the first time I had ever seen magicJack display a caller name on the phone. The name "JIMMY (LASTNAME)" was not entered into my MJ's phonebook. No 3rd party MJ modification software was installed. I sure do hope they are working on getting names into Caller ID.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: