magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big beef with MJ service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Big beef with MJ service Reply with quote

I have had MJ for 2-3 years now and it has been great.
So much so that I upped for 5+ years a while back
Subscription runs out 01/2016

I get this special offer email about the new MJ+ and I am thinking it would be nice to not have to have a computer on 24/7.

So I go to the special offer page and order the MJ+
Then I hit the chat button to ask a question

Since I have 5 years left on my old MJ, I want to discontinue using that and only use the new MJ+.

The chat person says that I cannot transfer my 5 years over
I then ask if they can refund the 5 years back to my card and then I will order 5 years on the MJ+

Nope, can't do that either, but you can use 2 magic jacks
I don't need two magic jacks

After 40+ minutes of trying to convince these people that this is not right, I get booted up to an operator that handles things like this.

I go through all the same stuff with this person, Hazel was her name.

She keeps leaving to check on things
She checks with accounting
She checks with her supervisor.

After about an hour I get a message that I have been booted off the chat help line.

What a rip
I would have never upped for 5 years on the old MJ if I would have known that this is how they do business.
Now I am stuck with the old MJ for 5 more years unless I want to just write off all that money

I cancelled the new MJ+ and made sure they did not charge my card.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you found this forum to vent, MAYBE you should have done some homework first and saw the posts in this forum and elsewhere on the net which says, you CAN NOT transfer any time from the MJ to the Plus.

Just Sayn`
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
finder216
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the policy of "non-transfer" of account time either, but checked it (on this forum) before my MagicJack Plus purchase. I followed other forum members advise and added my plus to my account, with the SAME phone number, then changed the number on my old one to a new number...all at no additional cost.

I gave the original one to a girlfriend and said "Merry Christmas, it comes with 3-years of service".

Nothing we can do about MJ's policies but make the best of it.
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you found this forum to vent, MAYBE you should have done some homework first

Well, finding the forum before or after makes no difference

It's exacly the same results in the end.
MJ's silly policy is the same and I don't have to like it.

It's only right to throw more info out there for other people to find.

If MJ had gotten more of my money and I bitched, then that's another story.
They did not get any more of my money.
BTW, if you read my post, I did stop it before it happened me and that's the same thing.

Why on earth would you be giving someone crap for bitching about MJ's policies. MJ fan boy?
I guess we should all shut up and be nice little consumers.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it would have made a difference, Einstein ( since you are calling people names)
You would have saved yourself the hassle of buying it, getting pissed off, and canceling it and worry they would charge your card. All easily avoided by doing a little research first. That was all I was saying.
Fan boy? hardly. I am here to help. I got my MJ in Aug 2008 and it worked just fine. March of this year I switched to an OBi100 using Google Voice. MJ always worked for me and I sung it's praises, when they did stupid things I bitched about it but I still tried to help people here. Just so you know I read this forum for almost a year before I bought my MJ in 2008. I learned a LOT, I did my research first. Not buy it, THEN read the forum and bitch about it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:

Well, finding the forum before or after makes no difference

It's exacly the same results in the end.
MJ's silly policy is the same and I don't have to like it.

It's only right to throw more info out there for other people to find.

If MJ had gotten more of my money and I bitched, then that's another story.
They did not get any more of my money.
BTW, if you read my post, I did stop it before it happened me and that's the same thing.

Why on earth would you be giving someone crap for bitching about MJ's policies. MJ fan boy?
I guess we should all shut up and be nice little consumers.

Nobody here likes to have to write off paid MJ time when getting the MJ+. We do it because it makes mathematical sense. On principal only, most people would not accept this and tell Dan to take a hike.

Going back to a pots line is much more expensive. Nettalk, you lose your number and a month ago it was for the same price. With Nettalk a local call number is not always available. (Keep in mind Nettalk's price has now been reduced from $70 to $50.) Keeping MJ instead of getting MJ+ you will spend nearly $80+ per year (Googling estimate) to keep the computer on 24hr/365 days per year. Unless you already leave it on for something else it will add up with years.

You renewed in Jan 2011 for 5 years for $70. You already used almost one year. That leaves $56 left of unused paid time of MJ. If you were offered the MJ+ for $35 instead of $70 since you are a loyal customer. Deduct that $35 credit from your $56 and that leaves $21 left that you have paid and not used the service or have received a credit in any form for. Within six months of shutting down the computer 24/7 you'll break even and keep your number. Like it's been said, find a family member or friend and make a gift out of your old MJ.
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toy, yeah you are right. It is cheap and I have saved a ton of money over the last 3 years. That's a good way to look at it. besides my business pays for it. I just hate the principal of it all.

Quote:
Of course it would have made a difference, Einstein

This guys logic is awesome and flawless

Since I am not Psychic, I should have contacted the California Psychic hotline in advance to see if there were any problems coming up that I did not know about and then tell where I could go to find out about this unknown problem.

Maybe I should do it this week in case my heat pump is going to fail and the contracter that installed it is going to charge me money to fix his mistakes?

Maybe I should just call a Psychic once a week just in case or hire one at my business. That would be cool!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I assume you just buy a car or a house and do no research at all huh?

As I said, Einstein...

No point in discussing this with you anymore as someone once said, you cant fix stupid.
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your intellect is obviously superior, but you completely missed the point poindexter. You need to go back and read the previous before jumping in with silly statements.

I came here to protest the MJ+ policy, not find to read about it and quietly sulk in the corner (I guess that's your method)

In case you think it does not matter, I have been a long time Netflix customer and I have seen them have to change their policies more than once because people voiced their displeasure en mass.

If you are saying that people should just sit and do nothing, you are a big part of the problem.

There's no reason for you to look down upon us mere mortals because we will never be able to match your awesome brain power, but maybe you can let the ones who wish to speak up have their say.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again YOU missed my point to your Orig post. You came here to bitch about not being able to transfer yout time to the Plus.
I mearly stated if you were able to find this forum to bitch ( which I did not say was a bad thing at all) you would have saved time and aggravation by finding the same forum for reaearch first, thats all.
You are the one who took saw it nesessary to start calling names, NOT ME...
Maybe if I would have type my reply to you s l o w e r you might have understand it.

Sheesh...........
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. So THIS is what it looks like from a third-party perspective when posters argue and take shots at each other back and forth. Please, can't we all just get along. Cool
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
Yes this is what it looks like.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Hmmmmm. So THIS is what it looks like from a third-party perspective when posters argue and take shots at each other back and forth. Please, can't we all just get along. Cool

HAHAHAHA nice to be on the outside looking in for a change, eh John?? Smile

All freindly banter, I have no ill will towards anyone no matter what they say or feel about my posts here.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
nice to be on the outside looking in for a change

Nice? Yea. It sure is different. Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
nice to be on the outside looking in for a change

Nice? Yea. It sure is different. Laughing

Not to worry as I have no doubt you will be in the limelight again VERY soon Smile
paulcf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Complaining about MJ+ Reply with quote

Well, well, all this mud slinging isn't doing anyone any good here.

Personally, I'm waiting for my MJ to run out and then I'm getting the Ooma VOIP system. Consumer Reports and users are raving about it, and the SUPPORT you get with it.

Good bye MJ, it's been a slice!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Complaining about MJ+ Reply with quote

paulcf wrote:

Personally, I'm waiting for my MJ to run out and then I'm getting the Ooma VOIP system. Consumer Reports and users are raving about it, and the SUPPORT you get with it.

No mud slinging, just friendly banter. PLUS ( no pun) Nailgunner and I bust on each other ALL THE TIME. So there Smile
notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Complaining about MJ+ Reply with quote

paulcf wrote:

not sure how you can compare Ooma to MJ with the prices they charge vs MJ, especially for Canadians who would have to pay extra for US calls Sad.....but good luck!!!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAREFUL!!! The O.P. might just call you a MJ Fan boy Smile hehehe
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All freindly banter, I have no ill will towards anyone no matter what they say or feel about my post

Seems that way.
Looks to me as though nailgunner is way more civil

I see your kind on other forums once in a while, including my company forum, and it's always a sad situation.

Quote:
Not to worry as I have no doubt you will be in the limelight again VERY soon

yes, this is your lime light, your 15 minutes, you are very a famous person in this world. Leno's people will be calling soon,

I guess that's all that an Unemployed Computer Tech has in this world.
That's ok, you just keep telling yourself how awesome you are

BTW, I hear Radio shack is hiring for Xmas. Very Happy
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:

WAY more. Like the old Who song, I have been asking "can you see the real me" for a long time in here. I'm glad someone finally has. Cool
raylinkz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Poor treatment of existing customers Reply with quote

I just purchased MJ+ and am attempting to keep my existing MJ number. It appears that since I waited until my existing MJ service expired, I will not be able to use the change procedure to keep my existing number on my new MJ device without purchasing another year of standard MJ in addition to the year I purchased with Plus. I have zero need for two phone numbers at my home and have already purchased all my Christmas and Birthday gifts for this year.

IMHO as a manager of customer service for over 30 years and sales manager for the last several years before my retirement, that this is a very shabby way to treat your existing customers of about 5 years.

I would, maybe, understand if there were costs involved for MJ in such a transfer, but it's just removing one computer device and installing another. Nothing to access outside MJ's data base.
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raylink,
That's exactly what I ran into and why I came here to vent some steam.
Problem is that I have 5 yeas left on my original MJ

I agree, it is a very sad service policy.

But, I have seen companies change their policies (As per my Netflix comment way up above)
It is possible when enough of the public stands up and makes some noise.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:
I have seen companies change their policies (As per my Netflix comment way up above)
It is possible when enough of the public stands up and makes some noise.

Not to rain on your parade and lose my "civil" label, but complaining about MJ policies is akin to peeing into the wind. The public has been standing up and making some noise about MJ and their policies for years. Check your nearest consumer complaint web-site. Their business model does not make much room for consumer input. And by inference putting them in the same category as a company like NetFlix was the funniest joke I've heard in a while.
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand the situation is bleak, but I don't believe it is impossible.
Very unlikely that MJ will change any time soon, too much money is being raked in.

They aren't getting any more of mine any time soon.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:
Quote:
All freindly banter, I have no ill will towards anyone no matter what they say or feel about my post

Seems that way.

I see your kind on other forums once in a while, including my company forum, and it's always a sad situation.

Quote:
Not to worry as I have no doubt you will be in the limelight again VERY soon

yes, this is your lime light, your 15 minutes, you are very a famous person in this world. Leno's people will be calling soon,

I guess that's all that an Unemployed Computer Tech has in this world.
That's ok, you just keep telling yourself how awesome you are

BTW, I hear Radio shack is hiring for Xmas. Very Happy

WOW you really are a dick arent you? Not seeing a picture of you I am willing to bet you really ARE as stupid as you look...
EL34
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rolls off me my man...

I am used to dealing with forum trolls like you.
I host and admin two large forums and participate in several others every day.
I have seen it all my friend.

Now hows that song go?
Oh yeah.
dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, dip........... get a job................... Very Happy
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure all of the people I have helped on here would call me a troll too.

Oh well. I hope you never find yourself out of work with a bad back.. Even though you are a dick, I wouldn't even wish that on you.

You do realize if you would have put in 1/2 the effort doing your research in this forum in the first place, as you have in badmouthing me, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Oh well I have wasted enough time..
raylinkz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor treatment of existing customers Reply with quote

I am happy to eat a little crow here in regards my MJ phone number. After writing my tirade, I finished the confirmation of my new MJ+ device and there in one of the pages was what phone number did I want and it had several choices. I checked the one for using a number from my account and there was my current MJ # and when I clicked on it, after the final setup on my ATT router, my phone number was active. YEAH!

Now I don't have to send and call everyone that my phone number has changed. I didn't see anything about additional charges, so I hope there was none.

I will probably at some point give my current MJ to someone who needs a phone number but not always.

Thanks Magic Jack; you know what they say about 'ass u me'...
Paul

raylinkz wrote:
I just purchased MJ+ and am attempting to keep my existing MJ number. It appears that since I waited until my existing MJ service expired, I will not be able to use the change procedure to keep my existing number on my new MJ device without purchasing another year of standard MJ in addition to the year I purchased with Plus. I have zero need for two phone numbers at my home and have already purchased all my Christmas and Birthday gifts for this year.

IMHO as a manager of customer service for over 30 years and sales manager for the last several years before my retirement, that this is a very shabby way to treat your existing customers of about 5 years.

I would, maybe, understand if there were costs involved for MJ in such a transfer, but it's just removing one computer device and installing another. Nothing to access outside MJ's data base.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor treatment of existing customers Reply with quote

raylinkz wrote:
I didn't see anything about additional charges, so I hope there was none.

Glad it worked out for you. There is not a charge for adding the Plus to a current account. You would think that would apply even if the account is not exactly current. They supposedly hold onto your old number for at least 30 days after it expires. So if you were close to that time period, that could be why it was still available. And if they didn't ask for money at the time, I think you are safe.

Since the Plus is new, one never knows exactly how things are going to be handled by MJ. It's great that you came back to update what ended up happening so others can know what may happen to them.

If you give the old one away, they can always change the phone number on that device. I believe the charge is still $10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: