magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
back feeding mj plus to house wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: back feeding mj plus to house wiring Reply with quote

This is the way I set up my wiring to get mj to work on all jacks and have dsl on the same block.

1. I have a direct feed from att going to a punch down block(66 block/1st row of pins)

2. ran a cat5 cable from the block to a double jack next to the mj.

3. I used one pair for the dsl signal to plug the router/modem into(w/bl bl/w). That's cut down on the same row of pins as the dsl and one port of the double jack.

4. I used another pair(w/o o/w) for the 2nd jack port to back feed the mj plus to the house wiring. That pair is cut down on the 2nd row of pins on the 66 block. I cut down all the house wiring on that same row of pins. I only used the wires that I wanted activated. I pulled all the non working wires off the block(no sense in sending dial tone to jacks I'm not using). I also assumed that this could affect the ring voltage coming from the mj plus.

Everything working great. All the phones have dial tone and all the phones ring. I also set my answering machine for 4 rings and it picks up before the mj voicemail. Not a bad deal for a couple bucks a month. Love this thing!
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

lrs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: DSL cable hooked to phone jack, how to hook up MJ+? Reply with quote

You sound like you really know what you're talking about - I wonder if you could help me. MJ+ customer service couldn't and I'm about ready to send it back for refund.

I have Actiontec DSL Modem with DSL cable plugged into phone jack. I have ASUS RT-N66U double-band router. All configurations that I know about for the MJ+ require a phone line to be plugged into the MJ+ box (not sure that is true, but that's all I know about). So I have to unplug the DSL cable from the phone jack and then obviously I lose internet connection.

I have tried many different configurations, plugging the MJ+ in different ports, changing connections all over the place, and nothing seems to work. I thought it was just some simple thing I wasn't considering but when MJ+ customer service couldn't figure it out, I started to wonder!

Can you help? Thank you!!!!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: DSL cable hooked to phone jack, how to hook up MJ+? Reply with quote

lrs wrote:
You sound like you really know what you're talking about - I wonder if you could help me. MJ+ customer service couldn't and I'm about ready to send it back for refund.

I have Actiontec DSL Modem with DSL cable plugged into phone jack. I have ASUS RT-N66U double-band router. All configurations that I know about for the MJ+ require a phone line to be plugged into the MJ+ box (not sure that is true, but that's all I know about). So I have to unplug the DSL cable from the phone jack and then obviously I lose internet connection.

I have tried many different configurations, plugging the MJ+ in different ports, changing connections all over the place, and nothing seems to work. I thought it was just some simple thing I wasn't considering but when MJ+ customer service couldn't figure it out, I started to wonder!

Can you help? Thank you!!!!

- Need a little more info from you to help: Are you currently receiving *ANY* other services from your local phone company other than DSL Internet? Exactly what kind of wiring/cable is currently "feeding" INTO your dsl modem from your Internet service provider? Are you currently using or trying to use "in-the-wall" telephone wiring for anything? If you are wanting to use MJ via "in-the-walls" house telephone wiring, is ANYTHING from your phone company currently connected to that interior wiring system, and why?

Did you first properly "register" your MJ device with the MJ service before doing anything else?

It sounds to me like you're simply not connecting your MJ device correctly; should be VERY easy to do once you supply the needed info.
lrs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks so much for your help. First, my ISP is a local company and they provide DSL service - not the phone company. Maybe I need to contact them? Only my acutal landline phone service comes from the local phone company.

My wall phone jack is feeding the DSL cable to my modem.

Yes, I have registered my MJ+.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer all your questions - I"m not sure of the rest. Sorry!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrs wrote:
Okay, thanks so much for your help. First, my ISP is a local company and they provide DSL service - not the phone company. Maybe I need to contact them? Only my acutal landline phone service comes from the local phone company.

My wall phone jack is feeding the DSL cable to my modem.

Yes, I have registered my MJ+.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer all your questions - I"m not sure of the rest. Sorry!

OK. Here's the story:

It SOUNDS like you have your interior house wiring being used for BOTH your DSL service AND a landline service correct? And Am I also correct to assume that in order to keep your DSL provider you must keep your current landline provider?

If you want or need to keep "regular" landline service on your interior phone wiring, you CANNOT *also* run MJ VOIP phone service through that same interior "house" phone wiring system. Can't be done. But that's ok (read on).

IF this is not the case and you can and want to "ditch" your current landline phone service while keeping your DSL service as the *only* service running through your interior phone wiring, then you *can* use MJ through the pore-existing wiring but with certain necessary modifications. If you ask me, it's NOT worth the hassle - there's a MUCH simpler way - but you can always try "private messaging" the guy who posted his solution (see his message above) by logging onto this website, clicking on his name, then clicking on the "pm" link to private message him... he can probably help you out

But the EASIEST way, which is also the way that MJ was actually designed to be used:

Make sure the MJ+ isn't connected to an a.c. power source. Run a high quality Ethernet cable (preferably a Cat 6 one, NOT the cheapo one that came with it) from the Ethernet jack on the MJ+ to an available Ethernet LAN jack on your ROUTER. NOW connect the MJ+ to its a.c. adapter (using the little USB extension cable if it came with one), then plug the a.c. adapter into a wall outlet. Wait a couple of minutes. NOW plug a phone into the phone jack on the MJ+ and you'll now have your MJ phone service operational. Use a Dect 6 cordless phone (either a single-handset or a multi-handset system, they're all affordable now) to get great phone service throughout your home or office that will not significantly conflict with your (presumably wireless) router's broadcast frequencies.
lrs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me just say YOU ROCK!!!! I haven't tried any of it yet, but thank you so much for your clear, concise, informative response!

You are correct my interior house wiring is being used for both DSL and landline. I will try your easy fix right after I go out and get a better ethernet cable.

How come you know so much?

If this works, and I have no reason to think it won't, will the phone company automatically stop billing me or do I need to tell them?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrs wrote:
First let me just say YOU ROCK!!!! I haven't tried any of it yet, but thank you so much for your clear, concise, informative response!

You are correct my interior house wiring is being used for both DSL and landline. I will try your easy fix right after I go out and get a better ethernet cable.

How come you know so much?

If this works, and I have no reason to think it won't, will the phone company automatically stop billing me or do I need to tell them?

Hey no problem, my pleasure. If decide you want to cancel your regular landline you'd need to call them to tell them you want to cancel. BUT you'd better first check with your DSL provider to make sure you don't need an active landline in order to keep your DSL Internet service working (without some sort of high speed Internet service your MJ won't work, of course). If your DSL requires an active landline account, you should check to see if your local phone and/or cable companies offer high speed Internet-only service (if they do, should be $25-$40 monthly for their slowest speed, which is usually adequate for MJ to work as long as your not doing anything else on the Internet at the same time that you're on a call).
lrs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hold on....just re-read your post with the solution - does that mean I need a wired phone? I don't even own one - I only own wireless. So that would mean I'd need to buy a phone as well - and only have on extension right next to my computer Not sure that's going to work for me...
DanielHilf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That solution worked perfectly for me. Great. I am happy now. Very Happy
SteveHC you are a genius.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrs wrote:
Oh hold on....just re-read your post with the solution - does that mean I need a wired phone? I don't even own one - I only own wireless. So that would mean I'd need to buy a phone as well - and only have on extension right next to my computer Not sure that's going to work for me...

- No, I stated that given your particular setup you should consider using a DECT 6 *cordless* phone plugged directly into your MJ device rather than attempting to "back-feed" your MJ device to your home's in-wall wiring.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielHilf wrote:
That solution worked perfectly for me. Great. I am happy now. Very Happy
SteveHC you are a genius.

- Cool! Glad I could help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: