magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Area code 250 Canada (B.C.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyboy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Area code 250 Canada (B.C.)

I am a long time user of MJ and have a MJ Plus. I am quite happy with it, but am about to move to Comox /Courtenay B.C. Canada where the area code is 250. This is not on the list of available ACs.

I mentioned it to a support person, who said they will work on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject:

You might want to *consider* keeping your current MJ number; you don't *have* to change it just because you're moving to B.C. Try this:

If you know someone in B.C. who's number is within that area code, a) ask them to call you at your current MJ number from their B.C. number, and b) try calling *them* FROM your current MJ number. If both succeed, then at least you'll know that you shouldn't have any problems after your move if you just keep your current MJ number (except that some local B.C.-ers might incur a long distance charge when they call you).
Flyboy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject:

No one will call me locally if it's a long distance call, half way across the country.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Flyboy wrote:
No one will call me locally if it's a long distance call, half way across the country.

- Oh. You hadn't before mentioned where you were moving *from*. At any rate, I don't know how common "free" long distance (or unlimited long distance packages) is (are) in Canada, but here in the U.S. most telecom consumers have that included in their phone service plans so per-call/per-minute long distance charges within the U.S. are no longer the major consideration that they used to be years ago.

Using Google Voice is not yet a very practical option in Canada. So the only other possibility with MJ that I can think of is to switch your MJ number to one that is within an available area code that is as geographically close to 250 as possible.
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject:

You can have any available MJ area code number and use it almost anywhere on earth.
Flyboy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I am keeping my number in Ontario so that my old friends can call me easily and so that any important calls get answered.

I've convinced a lot of people to get MJ both for the financial reasons and the fact that the more people use them the better service we will get here in Canada.
rush999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject:

That is the only reason I have not got MJ yet.I am in the 250 area code.The interior of BC is 250.The only area codes available in BC for MJ is in the lower mainland in Vancouver.All other parts of BC would be long distance for anyone phoning them. Crying or Very sad I have been patiently waiting for a local area code for us.
rush999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:

British Columbia is getting a new area code June 1 (236) Will this mean Magic jack will be available for local calling for more areas of BC. ??
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Take whatever area code available for BC, let your friends call you and leave a message to call them back. All they are out is less than a dollar.
Call them back for free and talk for up to 45 mins. for free. If not enough time, call them back for another 45 mins. again for free.
rush999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Yea,i am ok with that,having people call you back.I just have to convince the wife.Its not a big deal to have people call back.We do that for friends and relatives that live out of our local calling area for our telus land line.10-30 miles away. Thanks for the feedback.
Flyboy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I just found out that area code 778 is also available for Courtenay/Comox.

Can I get this area code with an exchange in the Courtenay/Comox area from MagicJack? I did not see it on the list when I tried. The local exchange is the issue.

If not, how do I advise MagicJack that I would like it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: