magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are You Ready To Throw In The Towel Yet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Are You Ready To Throw In The Towel Yet? Reply with quote

If you are experiencing the same thing as many others before you, then don't feel alone or picked on or even ripped off. If your call quality is at an alltime low and the audio is so bad you dread calling family and friends, then you may have to bite the bullet and just scratch it off as a loss. And fortunetly it's not an expensive loss but irritating anyway.

As a former Majic Jack user and cheerleader for the company for nearly three years, I had to do alot of this and that and check this and reset that and even got a new dongle from Dan the owner and still my audio was too bad to keep using. It wasn't always this way but as this company has grown, they have not kept up on the technical side of things to ensure that customers are getting a good, clear line.

So, just to save you alot of time and hastle, let me just say that the problem your having with the audio is not your fault. It's not your computer and it's not your internet connection. 9 times out of 10, the problem is the service not the customers equipment or setup. Don't listen to the so-called tech support people at the MJ tech site. They will do nothing but raise your blood pressure which is probably already high enough from trying to get the phone to sound half way decent.

So, after trying everything they said to try and having had numerous email sessions with Dan and his main tech people, I finally gave up. When people started complaining about the way my phone sounded, I said, "that's it".I switched to one that gives me perfect sounding phone calls everytime. I don't work for Ooma, but I wish I had stock in them. Ooma is a fairly new company and I am super happy with the service.

You may hear some people that have never heard about Ooma say bad things about it but you should ignore it. Just Google the reviews and you will find about a 90% positive feedback from users. I am telling you this because I hate seeing anyone put up with the same thing I did for a few years. The first year of MJ was pretty good but as they grew their service has suffered. If they ever get the audio fixed it will become the most popular phone in the country but as it is now, they have problems.

If you want a phone that works great everytime and they give you-free voicemail and caller id and all the other features. I paid $200.00 for mine . I found the base unit on Ebay-For the complete setup which gives you a second smaller base unit for other rooms, add another $50.00. That gives you a whole new phone line. Your getting two new phone numbers in your house! One for you and one for whoever. This sounds like alot for a phone system but that price is it! No more phone bills!

Thats it-you pay one time and your done. Now, they do reserve the right to start charging a small additional fee in 3 years but they are trying to avoid doing this. Even if they do, it will be less then anyone else and I will have had 3 years of unlimited calling to anywhere in the US for 3 years for $200.00! Also, Ooma does not need your computer to work, just the internet. So, you save on electic right there as well as wear and tear on the pc. I looked at all the other systems before going to Ooma and all I can say is if you try it you will want it.

Its so clear that it sounds better then my old land line. This is a great deal folks and anyone that has one loves them. To check it out go here and watch the video. I'm not in any way connected with Ooma and my only reason for telling you about this is because I went through alot of hastle for a very long time trying to get a good reliable phone call from MJ. It's gotten worse and it's not improving. Good luck and if you have any questions about Ooma and I can answer them I will.

http://www.ooma.com/
dj62
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they port you MJ number over?er over
murphy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are You Ready To Throw In The Towel Yet? Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
Your getting two new phone numbers in your house! One for you and one for whoever. This sounds like alot for a phone system but that price is it! No more phone bills!

You only get two phone numbers if you subscribe to Premier. Your second number will disappear when your 60 day free trial of Premier expires.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ-I've heard different stories on that. I'm pretty sure the MJ numbers can be transfered. In fact, I know they can in most cases. I remember now. But,before you even buy the thing you can check that. On their site there's a place to put in a number a see if it can be ported. You can call them and ask about your number. Their number is on their website page.
I do know it takes 2-3 weeks to do it and cost about 40 bucks.

What I did was I just picked out a new number from the list of the local numbers. Then I put a new outgoing message on my MJ line that gives out my new number. Simple. The base unit is really nice-really well built. The owner of Ooma and all the head people are all ex-Microsoft, Google and other tech firms from Silicon Valley. None of them has ever been involved in the telephone business before which, to me is good. Their expertise is in the computer wprld. And the way the base unit is built and works shows that. When the phone rings, a red light flashes and it will take the call after 5 or so rings. Now, you can check the machine or you can go online to listen to your messages in private. When I call someone-the message they se on their caller ID says "Ooma"-that's it nothing more.

If you click on this link and scroll down to question 7, it asks-"Can I keep my current phone #-Just enter your number and it will tell you right now

http://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_faq.php#q7
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy-Your right. The second private line with it's own number is only available with the Premier package. But, you don't need any landline at all and for only $12.99 a month or $99.00 a year you can use the second line for all the free long distance calls you want. If I was still married with kids I would get this one for sure. A teen can have their own phone line and talk all day long distance for free!-well almost-$99.00 a year. And there's alot more that comes with that package-

View Features | View Benefits

Want more? Try ooma Premier�, a bundle of enhanced calling features designed to kick your home phone into overdrive. Every ooma system comes with a free 60-day trial.
Explore all the features that ooma Premier has to offer, or view the benefits:

Advanced Calling
Enhanced Voicemail
Privacy
Personalization
Extras
ooma Premier is $12.99/month or $99.99/year. Sign-up for a year and we'll transfer your number for free ($39.99 value). See what you've been missing from your old phone company!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Calling
Although calling is free, your phone may not be. Talk when you want, with who you want, using ooma's advanced calling features!

Instant Second Line
Do your kids have the gift of gab? No problem! When you sign up for ooma Premier, you�ll get an Instant Second Line� feature, which lets you make or take two simultaneous calls without the cost or hassle of installing a second line. So when your daughter's chatting with her BFF (i.e., best friend forever), simply pick up another phone and you�ll get a fresh ooma dialtone.

Three-way conferencing
Need to make dinner plans with two of your friends? We've got you covered. ooma makes three-way calling simple! Once you're on a call, press the second line button to make or take a second call. Press down both line buttons at once, and you've got yourself a conference call!

Multi-Ring
Constantly on the go? With ooma's Multi-Ring feature, you can configure your ooma system to simultaneously ring or forward to your mobile phone or any phone number you choose. Whether at home or on the road, you'll never need to miss a call.

See it in action

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enhanced Voicemail
Your time is precious. Make every call count with these features for the Broadband Answering Machine.

Message screening
Don't recognize the caller-ID? Just let your ooma system pick up the call and listen in as the caller's message is played out through the speakers on your ooma device. If it turns out you want to take the call, just pick up the phone and connect instantly.

Send to Voicemail
Don�t have a pen and paper handy to jot down a note or directions to a party? Transfer a call to voicemail by pressing the �Send to Voicemail� button any time after you say hello.

Voicemail forwarding
Enjoy the ultimate convenience of having your voicemail messages forwarded to your email. Now you can listen to messages from your favorite mobile or desktop email client.

See it in action

Do Not Disturb
Get some peace and quiet whenever you want. Simply press the envelope icon for two seconds and all your calls will roll into voicemail without ringing. You'll still see a blinking light when new messages come in. To deactivate Do Not Disturb, hold down the envelope icon for two more seconds.

Privacy
Home is your haven and ooma wants to help you keep it that way. Stop unwanted callers dead in their tracks!

Personal Blacklist
ooma can now be your personal bouncer. Review your call logs in the Lounge. For anyone who doesn't make the cut, add them to your blacklist. They'll get bounced next time they call. You have the option to block them completely or send them straight to voicemail. For a limited time, take advantage of our sneak preview of this feature, for all ooma users!

See it in action

Community Blacklist
Harness the power of the ooma calling community and block unwanted callers. Think of it as Survivor for telespammers. As other ooma users vote callers "off the island" by adding them to their blacklist, we're there to tally up the votes. Combined with our sophisticated algorithms for detecting phone spamming patterns, and you've got the mother of all blacklists. Who needs the Do Not Call registry?

Personalization
ooma helps you organize, manage and direct your calls for everyone in your home.

Personal numbers
ooma makes it easy to add phone numbers for your home office and all the members of your family. With ooma Premier, choose a second number anywhere in the US! Decide whether you want your number to ring and leave voicemail on all phones or just your personal ooma device. Need more than two numbers? The ooma system supports up to nine (additional monthly fee applies).

See it in action

Private voicemail
Want privacy from snooping family? With ooma Premier, make any ooma device a private extension. What's more, you'll get a password-protected voicemail account to hear your messages online. You can also set up personal greetings, customize privacy settings, and control your voicemail notification or forwarding preferences.

Custom ring patterns
Isn't it time to quit playing receptionist for your way-too-popular kids? When you subscribe to ooma Premier, you can assign custom ring patterns for each of your personal numbers so you'll know which calls are for you.

Extras
As a ooma Premier subscriber, you will have access to exclusive promotions and special offers!

Transfer your number
Want to keep your phone number? ooma will transfer your number from your current phone provider for free with an annual subscription to ooma Premier ($39.99 value).

Be first in line
As an ooma Premier subscriber, you'll get exclusive access to try out new features and hear about future promotions!

Already a customer? Login to the ooma Lounge and sign-up for ooma Premier!

company - newsroom - blog - media resources - careers - legal - contact us - site map
Copyright � 2008, 2009 ooma, Inc. All rights reserved
dj62
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I must admit that I am very intrigued; the only hang up (no-pun intended) is the price. I will definitely give it some thought. I am pretty happy with the MJ it is just that every once in a while when you call someone, they cannot hear you but you can hear them, works fine if you call back sometimes takes a couple of calls.

Thanks for the info.
murphy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
When I call someone-the message they see on their caller ID says "Ooma"-that's it nothing more.

You need to call support. It's supposed to display your name.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea-DJ-If it's working good enough for you I'd keep it. I live in the West and I think it's worse out here. I asked a couple friends how their MJ sounded and they live close by and they said it was bad also. So it may just depend where you live. As far as the price goes. It is a little hard to take but for some of us it was really needed. The MJ failed and I could keep listening to background clicking and echos and dropped calls etc or switch. It started sounding like a 3rd world phone and I was looking like a real cheap idiot to my friends.
I was getting tired of making excuses for the sound of it. It got to where people were telling me to quit pushing the keys on the phone! On their end it sounded like some kid playing with the buttons. Almost like I was picking up the sound of someone else dialing! Strange!-What a shame-I hate spending more money but I had no choice and it was $195.00 plus shipping on Ebay for a new hub and it took me 15 minutes to set up and get my new number. Its really simple and no software. It worked perfect the first time and I have only had to contact their tech support one time. I may be moving soon to a different state and area code and I wanted to know if I needed to change my number or my area code. The answer is NO!-You own that number and take it everywhere you live. I like that alot!

The way I see it-if in 3 years they start charging say $20.00 a month-fine it's worth it for such clean calls-and then maybe in the next 3 years MJ will fix their system and I can go back to using the two MJ phones that I now have-

Murphy-Are you sure about that? Do you have Ooma? I thought it hid your name by default. Did you ask to have it show? I have always had mine blocked. I don't like just everyone that I don't know, knowing my number. I don't want to end up on someones sucker list to be sold all around. Anyway, thanks I will check on that. I don't have the Scout. I just bought the Hub as I have a cordless phone. It has a second phone that goes in the other room. So I have two phones working but just one number which is fine.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy-thanks for that tip. I went to the Ooma lounge and under preference, I checked the box that allows my number to be shown. I'll try it for awhile until people know my new number, but then I want it back to saying just Ooma-I kind of like that as my handle-lol

How's your's doing? Any problems yet? Mines been nearly flawless. I did get one call with echo and I freaked!! I said NO!!!! I just left the world of echo hell behind I thought.-Turns out that I needed to set the Quality Of Service-They have it default real low. You have to enter your upload speed, not the download. It's defaulted at something like 0.350 mb and mine is 0.750.-Once I changed that the echo was gone.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj62 wrote:
Will they port you MJ number over?er over
No! MJ does not support LNP at all, neither in nor out.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be against FCC rgulations for a carrier to refuse to port a number to a new carrier I just found an inter esting article regarding LPNs.

Who should consumers contact if they want to port their number to a new carrier?

Consumers should contact their prospective new carrier, who will start the porting process. The new carrier will first confirm the consumer's identity and then make a porting request of the old carrier. When consumers go to their new carrier to port a number, they should bring along a recent bill, which will have their correct name and address as it appears in the carrier�s database. This should aid in making the porting process go smoothly. Once a valid porting request has been made, the old carrier cannot refuse to port a number
Under the Federal Communications Commission�s (FCC�s) �local number portability� (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can now switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers.

MB-I got that from the FCC website-there's alot of good info on the subject of porting numbers and the law. I know I read of other MJ users doing it already so I know it's possible and now it seems it's actually on the books as a regulation.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/NumberPortability/.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear about this - MJ is not a telephone carrier. The ToS goes to great pains to specify this. As I explained in this thread, MJ is a "multimedia experience" exempt from carrier regulations.

mberlant wrote:
az2008 wrote:
[F]rom what I've read, it sounds like they (MJ -- ed.) don't have much choice:

Quote:
The right of consumers to keep the same, familiar phone number when switching to a new telephone company was expanded today by the Federal Communications Commission, in an Order that will further ensure consumers� opportunity to choose a telephone service provider based on quality, price and service.

The FCC made clear that the obligation to provide local number portability extends to interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol providers and the telecommunications carriers that obtain numbers for them. This action was, in part, a response to numerous complaints by consumers about their inability to port numbers to or from interconnected VoIP providers. The FCC also initiated a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on additional VoIP numbering issues.
--http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-277752A1.pdf

Mark
Yes, the key phrase in the FCC announcement is "interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol providers", and MJ has specifically positioned themselves so as not to fit this categorization.
magicJack_ToS wrote:
The goods and services offered by magicJack provide a multimedia experience which includes a voice over Internet information service feature. It is not a telecommunications service and is subject to different regulatory treatment from telecommunications services.
The bottom line remains. Don't hold your breath waiting for inbound LNP to become a reality, and don't wager your precious phone number that you will be able to port it out later if you manage to port it in.

MJ leases every last one of their phone numbers from YMAX. YMAX is the carrier and MJ is the customer. We are not YMAX's customers. MJ lends us one of their phone numbers for the duration of our relationship with them, but they retain ownership of that number.

This is very similar to the relationship you have with your office telephone if you work for Verizon, as an example. Verizon, the employer, lends you one of the phone numbers they have leased from Verizon, the phone company, for the duration of your employment. Verizon, the employer, is the customer of Verizon, the phone company, with respect to everyone's office phone number. You, the employee, have no right to import your own "office phone number" nor take theirs with you when you leave Verizon's employment.

YMAX is obliged to support LNP, and I suppose that if any direct YMAX customer requested an LNP transaction they would accommodate it. MJ, on the other hand, has no interest in expending the resources to handle LNP, as the incremental expense would far outstrip the incremental revenue, and that would only serve to raise the price that we pay for our MJs. This is very likely why MJ was set up as a separate company in the first place.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this post fall under Technical Support for MJ? It should have at least been posted in the Lounge.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A what? "Multimedia Expeience? hahahahahha-wtf is that?

"MJ is not a telephone carrier"-now that is by far the truest statement I've ever heard about this thing. Maybe someday, , it will be a real phone and there will be no more angry customers. I would have a real hard time sleeping at night knowing I'm selling a flawed product. The company has known for a long time about all the audio problems and they can fix it if they tried harder. Ooma's phone sounds crystal clear and it's a voip phone. There's no reason that with all the cash coming in along with the "more then 300,000 new customers every month" that they can't fix the thing so it gives people a clear call. I have 2 of them just sitting in a drawer waiting to be used, just as soon as the sytem is upgraded. If it was my company I would get it done and go on to put the MA- BELLS out of business.

I just came across this disturbing bunch of unhappy customers at the Rip Off Report-It's a site for reporting a bad business.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q5=MAGIC+JACK&searchtype=0&q1=ALL&q3=&q2=&q7=&q4=&q6=&start=25
It's too bad as this little inventtion that Dan came up with is just perfect for todays budget minded citizens and could really help alot of people communicate at a great rate. If only they would fix it-If you have problems and have tried all the tech support people online and still can't fix the problem, I have some of the main tech support peoples email address's if you want to write them just drop me a note at

[email protected]
Sparki
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my MJ is working great and I plan to renew forsure. My old landline was around 420 bucks a year not counting any LD. so this is a big savings at 20 bucks a year with free LD. It makes a nice companion to cellphones as it re-energized my house landline phones that I thought were history when I changed from LL to cellphone. I find that if I make one call out per day on MJ, it pretty much eliminates the problem of people not being able to call my MJ if it has sat idle for more than a day. Sometimes during the busiest traffic times of the day, like around 5pm, placing a call out will fail and go back to dialtone immediately, but if I wait a minute for traffic to fluctuate down a little, everything is fine. This is just a resource sharing problem during peak times and for $1.69 a month I can sure as heck put up with it. Voice is always clear without chop or distortion. I use XP pro and have aprox 13 processes running under Services as shown in Task manager, on a standard installation after cleaning out unneeded stuff. People should weed those out. I don't mess with Qos on anything. Winsock buffer set to 32767, mtu set to 2000. (Find a copy of drTCP) I use that mtu on servers even, as it provides the most throughput after about 12 years of testing. My MJ runs on a server which is also running Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpBB, etc, 17 processes, and people can pull up webpages or complex PHP forums off the server over the internet all day, while someone is talking on MJ with no interference. so I really like it.

I had a friend try it out today around 2pm. He had to call up Hewlitt Packard Notebook repair to try to get a notebook fixed for free under a recall plan that they had, but his note was a few months too far over the line so they refused. High db levels which must have risen above the minus-3db level, prolly up to +3db were present on the line as yelling then ensued, and it still worked and sounded great and he liked using it. Smile
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac wrote:
How does this post fall under Technical Support for MJ? It should have at least been posted in the Lounge.
Perhaps we can prevail upon the Admin to move this thread to The Lounge.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparki wrote:
Well my MJ is working great and I plan to renew forsure. My old landline was around 420 bucks a year not counting any LD. so this is a big savings at 20 bucks a year with free LD. It makes a nice companion to cellphones as it re-energized my house landline phones that I thought were history when I changed from LL to cellphone. I find that if I make one call out per day on MJ, it pretty much eliminates the problem of people not being able to call my MJ if it has sat idle for more than a day. Sometimes during the busiest traffic times of the day, like around 5pm, placing a call out will fail and go back to dialtone immediately, but if I wait a minute for traffic to fluctuate down a little, everything is fine. This is just a resource sharing problem during peak times and for $1.69 a month I can sure as heck put up with it. Voice is always clear without chop or distortion. I use XP pro and have aprox 13 processes running under Services as shown in Task manager, on a standard installation after cleaning out unneeded stuff. People should weed those out. I don't mess with Qos on anything. Winsock buffer set to 32767, mtu set to 2000. (Find a copy of drTCP) I use that mtu on servers even, as it provides the most throughput after about 12 years of testing. My MJ runs on a server which is also running Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpBB, etc, 17 processes, and people can pull up webpages or complex PHP forums off the server over the internet all day, while someone is talking on MJ with no interference. so I really like it.

I had a friend try it out today around 2pm. He had to call up Hewlitt Packard Notebook repair to try to get a notebook fixed for free under a recall plan that they had, but his note was a few months too far over the line so they refused. High db levels which must have risen above the minus-3db level, prolly up to +3db were present on the line as yelling then ensued, and it still worked and sounded great and he liked using it. Smile

When I had mine working, I would try to make calls while downloading files and it messed the call up really bad. I noticed that if I tried to do much of anything while using the phone, the audio quality went way down, so I just gave up doing anything while using the MJ.-
NelsonDonnell
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if some of you were to familiarize yourself with a process called port forwarding where you can set up your router to give MJ priority over other services, then you'll see that the sound quality will probably improve by 50% or better.
NelsonDonnell
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't feel competent rnough to do port forwarding on your own, this site has a software for 29.95 that'll do it for you. You don't have to use their software, they provide all of the information that you'll need to port forward your MJ program right there at their site, if you take the time to ferret it out there.

http://portforward.com/
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio interfernce had nothing to do with the ports. It was due to me trying to do big downloads while using the phone. The port settings were right but MJ takes alot of resource. I gave MJ top priority when I used it. I went to task manager and opened up processes. I right click and give it the highest priority. QOS was right also. The tech guys had me try alot of stuff and it would be ok for a minute then fail again.

I also invested in the Hawking HHB1 broadband booster. It boosts the dsl signal by directing the traffic and keeping the priorities straight. Thats a real good piece of hardware and does a fine job but still my audio was bad. Not every call just most and I was getting tech help from the top tech support people, not the people that answer emails for a living but the real tech people that Dan sent to me. I still have 4 of their email address's as well as the head man Mike Shippey if anyone needs more tech help. I'm done with MJ now. Maybe in the future Dan will make it work good again, like it did 3 years ago. It would be nice to see him run the Ma Bells out of busines.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NelsonDonnell wrote:
Perhaps if some of you were to familiarize yourself with a process called port forwarding where you can set up your router to give MJ priority over other services, then you'll see that the sound quality will probably improve by 50% or better.
Port forwarding does no such thing. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with QoS, which is the function that you should be recommending here. Port forwarding is unrelated to sound quality. The only thing port forwarding does is to expose the client PC to unsolicited packets, which will soon include those from automated port scanners run by backdoor hackers. The only time it is ever required to forward a port inward on behalf of a SIP client is if that SIP client is sitting behind two cascaded NAT routers.

NelsonDonnell wrote:
If you don't feel competent rnough to do port forwarding on your own, this site has a software for 29.95 that'll do it for you.
This comment refers people to the right site for the wrong tool. Folks here would need a service that automates the setup of QoS priorities, not port forwarding.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your completely right M and I was wondering why he said that also-that's why I talked about seting the QOS as well as the priority in the System Manager.I went over all this stuff with the main tech people when they were working with me to improve my audio. With VOIP you never have to worry about port forwarding. Why would you?
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lurking on this site for a year now, its a great site very informitive. I HAD to ring in on this because Ooma IS NOT all that great. Its WAY too expensive and when I use it I have some of the same issues with it that I've had with MagicJack. Choppy calls, Dropped calls and TERRIBLE tech support with Ooma. My opinion is MJ gives a WAY better bang for the buck. I have had better luck with MJ than I did with Ooma.

Last edited by onlyme on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
saxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't beleive a word of that sorry. You would have to be the first person in history to have given up on Ooma and then to go back to MJ is just not beleivable. Why would anyone possibly pay $250.00 for the Ooma equipment just to stop using it? Thats makes no sense. Their call quality is the best there is . It's a proven fact and been tested many times by all reputable sources, magzines and journals. If you had any audio problems it was due to your not hooking it up right. Sorry, but I don't believe you. Why would you not let their tech support work to get it fixed. I called them the other day and got through in 5 minutes.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to your statement that you have abandoned MJ in favor of ooma, (So, why are you still here?), I didn't understand onlyme to say that he was abandoning his investment in ooma in favor of MJ. I understood him to say that since his observed quality and reliability are similar with ooma and MJ, that MJ is the better cost performer. He stated his observations clearly and succinctly in defense of his conclusion, just as you have.
saxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even if you want to believe that his service with Ooma is the same as it is with MJ, which is impossible to believe, why would he go back to using a faulty system that he has to pay for every year? The whole statement is full of holes and makes no sense. For one thing, Ooma and MJ are not even in the same league. Ooma has the best audio of any voip phones available and better then many land lines. Any problems he's having are easily fixed by the Ooma techs. They have a good support team and nobody would pay 250 bucks just to give up and go back to using MJ. The storys is just not beleivable to me, sorry.
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman I really dont care what you believe. I have both services and I have not abandoned either one. I have had both services hic-up and stumble, I've had to use tech support with both services and bang for buck the MJ has given me better service. Just because you have not had good luck with your MJ doesnt mean I have not. The last time I checked the constitution I had the right to my opinion.
sligg111
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: MJ & Ooma Reply with quote

onlyme wrote:
saxman I really dont care what you believe. I have both services and I have not abandoned either one. I have had both services hic-up and stumble, I've had to use tech support with both services and bang for buck the MJ has given me better service. Just because you have not had good luck with your MJ doesnt mean I have not. The last time I checked the constitution I had the right to my opinion.

Hard to believe your dissatisfaction with Ooma. I have been using Ooma now for nine months and not one problem. Voice quality is superb and customer service is adequate. My service with MJ was a headache and that's why I switched to Ooma.

I still peruse the MJ forums because my MJ is still active and I'm curious as to what is going on.
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sligg111, I didnt say I was dissatisfied, I said that bang for buck its MY opinion that the MJ is the winner. I have had problems with both services, if I could do over I wound not invest in Ooma. For me MJ has been the better of the two services for my needs. They are both crystal clear BUT they are both choppy when I download large files and I have had both drop calls altho MJ drops fewer calls.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you actually did have Ooma and had trouble with it what did you do to try to fix it? Did you contact their tech support team? If so, did you get them on the phone or by email and what happened? I ask this because their system works flawless for so many others that I find this really hard to beleive. The only complaints I have seen so far about the audio quality have been because of an installation error. Their servers work great and I have never seen anyone say they could not get their phone to work right after they had adjustments done like changing the QOS or a few other simple adjustments.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman, why are you continuing to proselytize for ooma on the MJ forum in a thread that you created in the wrong category in the first place?

I suggest that we leave onlyme to his observations and opinion and leave you to your observations and opinion and not turn this into more of a religious exercise than it already is.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to chill out and let people hear the truth. This thread is for those people that are tired of fighting the MJ tech support for a decent sounding phone.As a former long time MJ user, I think I have the right to inform people that don't know, what it is they can expect from this company and what other systems are available that actually deliver on what they promise. If your happy with your phone, fine, but it's real obvious by the number of posters that there are alot of people that are not. So,why not tell the truth.

Magic Jack is not working good enough to use as not only a primary phone but as a backup. A small number of users are getting a signal that works at times but most are not and for those people, I suggest Ooma as a real good alternative and I don't work for them and I don't get paid to give advise for anything but Ooma is the best system on the market and after the initial equipment purchase, it's FREE!- It's a no brainer. As a former MJ user I will continue to help out people looking for a phone that works and if anyone needs any help thay can ask.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Message to Moderators Reply with quote

How about moving (removing) this diatribe from TECHNICAL SUPPORT to something more appropriate, Lounge, Rants and Raves, recycle bin...

Thanks

OTC
maine-iac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Message to Moderators Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
How about moving (removing) this diatribe from TECHNICAL SUPPORT to something more appropriate, Lounge, Rants and Raves, recycle bin...

Thanks

OTC

I already asked that once; no one listened.
Rick54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparki wrote:

I agree, My MJ works fine, no audio problems so far, I cannot say that about the ATT cell phone I pay a lot more for, dropped calls and bad audio is the norm....I didn't expect to replace my land line phone with the MJ I mean after all for 20 bucks a year what do you expect......so I guess that's the reason I am happy with the product. (my 2 cents worth)
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't have Ooma, my next phone would have been a basic landline for 12 bucks a month and use Dukadial for all my long distance as it's 100% free. Ooma is free after initial purchase but for those with a landline, Dukadial works great. My MJ worked ok the first year then due to overloaded servers because of all the "new 300,000 customers a month" it went downhill and for the next 2 years it was a contant battle and bad guessing game trying to get a clear call. If it still worked good, I would still use it. I still have two dongles with 2 good numbers sitting in a drawer waiting for the day the system is upgraded. For free long distance- Check it out-

http://labs.jaduka.com/dukaDial
And for those that want to bury this information, my question is why? Shouldn't people have access to alternative systems? This is a FORUM-
If anyone wants the email address's of 4 or 5 of the Magic Jack tech support people, the real ones, let me know. Also the head of support which is Mike Shippey. You may get your problem resolved by emailing them. They have been real helpful with me in the past, even though my phone never worked real good after the first year, they did try many things.Before switching systems you may want to try them for help first.
write me here-
[email protected]
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is suggesting burying any information. It has been recognized by many of us here, including the three different members who actually made the comment, that this thread has absolutely nothing to do with providing any technical support.

What is disappointing is saxman's apparent lack of tolerance for any dissenting opinion, having become especially intolerant of hearing happy stories from MJ users or, even worse, dissent in the ranks of ooma users. This should not be made into a religious crusade.

saxman, you are entitled to practice your ooma religion. But that does not mean that the rest of the world needs to be born again. And it doesn't mean that you should proselytize in a forum category dedicated to technical support. Your religious fervor has even pushed this thread outside the bounds of Rants and Raves, in my opinion, and is now only fit for The Lounge. You have rung the doorbell and offered your pamphlet. It's time to move on to the next house.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to change your therapist bud-your the only one ranting and now throwing in religion. Wow-quite a stretch. I'm offering people the names and email addres's of the main MJ tech support employees . How is that not being a part of tech support forum? Most people don't have access to these people and they are Dans main repair people and they do respond to peoples request for help with their systems. Now, I could care less what you think about anything. I've already said that I started this thread to discuss the MJ problems and the alternative's available. Not for people who have phones that work but for the majority that don't.

It's all MJ related and all part of the forum. What do you want to do, move any negative comments made, to another section? Who gives you the right to censor anyones comments? Most people come to this site because they have been having technical problems with MJ. Now, I can give them help by giving them the right people to contact-can you do that? Most people are having audio problems with MJ and some may be fixable but most are not.
For those that want to try to fix it ,they can contact the real tech support people as well as their boss, and for those that are done trying to make it work, I offer a few alternatives. So, what's the problem? After using Magic Jack for 3 years and jumping all the hoops to make it work, I think I know what I'm talking about. The bottom line is a person can spend alot of time and continue the frustration or they can try something else. If you want to remove all the bad comments on this site, then there will be no forum left! Even at 20 bucks a year people expect the thing to work.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxman,

If you want to use this forum, then follow the rules. Your opening post in this thread went straight to ooma and had nothing to do with providing tech support for MJ. Stick to the established forum categories.

This was a nice, quiet forum while you were gone. Too bad you had to return with that attitude.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Tech Support Phantom Reply with quote

Saxman, how about posting (not just tell us you can) "...the names and email addresses of the main MJ tech support employees." Now that could possibly be considered a part of tech support forum?

OTC
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a great attitude. I have nothing bad to say about anyone. And you will never hear me tell anyone what to say about anything. I'm a big beleiver in the freedom of speech. Someone tell me where it says in the TOS that it's not ok to talk about another phone system or to compare other sytems to MJ? That's been going on in many, many, threads. People are comparing the service they get now with their previous systems and why not?

They have to have something to compare it too to do a review or to talk about tech problems their having. Including other phones in a MJ tech discussion is not against the rules. If anything I would think you would welcome new information on the whole industry. When one phone company makes changes that improve their system, those changes are usually picked up and used by others in the same industry. In this case both are voip systems and if Ooma can make changes to improve the audio then MJ can do the same.

As far as posting the names and email address's of the tech people at MJ, I have no permission from them to do that but I have asked them in the past if it was ok to share the names on a one on one basis and it was ok. So, as I don't want to see them get flooded with emails and have to change their address I prefer to send people a few names at a time and ask that they don't publish them.

These people should only be contacted after trying the online support people first on MJ. See, I'm not anti MJ and I still have a couple but until they get it working right, then I can't use it. That dosen't mean I want to see the company fail, just improve because there s a good chance that in 3 years Ooma will start charging a monthly fee for their service and I'd like to go back to MJ if it's working good. So if your having trouble and have tried the other support people and still have problems then drop me an email and I'll give you two names to contact and Dans if you want it also. If those two don't help and/or have changed their address then I'll send you a couple more but I just ask that you don't post them unless they tell you it's ok.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac said it best. saxman opened a new thread in Technical Support, totally unrelated to Technical Support, gave it a flame-baiting title and cried foul when this callous disregard for forum etiquette was criticized. Had he had the simple courtesy to begin this thread in The Lounge, he wouldn't find himself in the this pickle he has created for himself.
blumonde
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with saxman. He can post wherever he likes. Leave him alone. I too have audio problems with MJ. I switched to Skype. It costs me about 56 bucks a year for unlimitted calls in the US and Canada, and a phone number. I hope skype can do better.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not throwing in the towel.

MJ works good enough for me. Smile

Thank You Dan & Ymax.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blumonde wrote:
I totally agree with saxman. He can post wherever he likes. Leave him alone.

Then we may as well do away with all the categories on this forum and have just one big mess to post in. Nothing will get resolved and answers to previous posts will never be found to help others. This forum will then no longer have any usefulness to anyone.
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Skype Me, Baby! Reply with quote

Good evening, blumonde.

blumonde wrote:
<snip> I switched to Skype. It costs me about 56 bucks a year for unlimitted calls in the US and Canada, and a phone number. I hope skype can do better.

I've been on Skype since mid-January and I'm happy. USD59.50/annum, no call caps and no hassles. Smile

Sorry, magicJack, but you did it to yourself.
blumonde
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Skype Me, Baby! Reply with quote

lcompton wrote:
Good evening, blumonde.

blumonde wrote:
<snip> I switched to Skype. It costs me about 56 bucks a year for unlimitted calls in the US and Canada, and a phone number. I hope skype can do better.

I've been on Skype since mid-January and I'm happy. USD59.50/annum, no call caps and no hassles. Smile

Sorry, magicJack, but you did it to yourself.

Hey lcompton, thanks for the info. I used MJ for about 6 months. It was good but not anymore. My family members were not able to hear my voice clearly when I call them. It faded in and out. Saxman was right, it is deteriorating. Skype is fine so far except that talking to a cellphone is not as perfect as talking to a landline. But for $57/yr, I think it is the best deal out there.
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Skype Me, Baby! Reply with quote

Good morning, blumonde.

blumonde wrote:
Hey lcompton, thanks for the info. I used MJ for about 6 months. It was good but not anymore. My family members were not able to hear my voice clearly when I call them. It faded in and out. Saxman was right, it is deteriorating. Skype is fine so far except that talking to a cellphone is not as perfect as talking to a landline. But for $57/yr, I think it is the best deal out there.

My only complaint with magicJack is the call caps. I didn't encounter any other problems with the product or the company. Well, I guess I have two complaints, because to my knowledge they are not disclosing the call caps to new subscribers, which is unethical. But, it's no longer my problem either.

Skype is functioning perfectly for me whether I talk to someone on a landline or wireless telephone.
blumonde
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Skype Me, Baby! Reply with quote

lcompton wrote:
Good morning, blumonde.

blumonde wrote:

My only complaint with magicJack is the call caps. I didn't encounter any other problems with the product or the company. Well, I guess I have two complaints, because to my knowledge they are not disclosing the call caps to new subscribers, which is unethical. But, it's no longer my problem either.

Skype is functioning perfectly for me whether I talk to someone on a landline or wireless telephone.

Morning lcompton,

It is great to hear that Skype is all perfect for you. The thing is that their tech support is not responsive. They haven't answered my tech support inquiry that I submitted 3 days ago at their website. I don't know if you have experienced that as well or not.
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Skype Me, Baby! Reply with quote

Good evening, blumonde.

blumonde wrote:
lcompton wrote:

It is great to hear that Skype is all perfect for you. The thing is that their tech support is not responsive. They haven't answered my tech support inquiry that I submitted 3 days ago at their website. I don't know if you have experienced that as well or not.

Skype has technical support? Wow!

I think I sent them an inquiry when I first signed up about some kind of USD1.36 balance in my account because I didn't understand it. I did eventually receive a response, but it was non-responsive and indicative of either the responder not reading my original inquiry or being entirely clueless. Either way, my question went unanswered. As far as I'm concerned, magicJack probably has better technical support since you can actually chat with them in real time.

Technical support isn't important to me for the following reasons:
  1. There exists no measuring tool capable of determining just how infinitely more competent I am than any technical support person with whom I've ever interacted (I realize this sounds conceited, but I don't mean for it to. It's just plain true. Sorry.)
  2. While I am usually able to get customer service issues resolved through technical support, I can't honestly recall ever having a technical problem resolved by technical support. (I'm sure I had some success with a technical support group -- perhaps, back in the 1980's when technical support was actually both technical and supportive.)
  3. The concept of the queue of discouragement successfully keeps me from wasting too much time trying to obtain technical support since I have a pretty good foreboding that I'm unlikely to experience any success.
  4. I'm a total geek and I can usually figure stuff out on my own.
  5. I like to read so I don't mind Reading the Fine Manual.
  6. Forums like this one tend to offer better advice than any technical support group so, if necessary, I'll kick off a huge Internet search initiative in search of the answer(s) to my question(s).

Really, being as self-sufficient as possible is the way to go. I'm seriously thinking about heading west into the mountains if I lose my job. Whatever survival skills I've forgotten I can probably re-learn in a hurry if I'm hungry enough. I don't have to be Richard Proenneke to be able to shoot a rabbit and toss it over a fire to get some good old protein.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: