magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here use MJ primarily and shut off land line?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
callontom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no landline since maybe 6yrs. Had OptimumVoice for about 2 yrs. Until they charged regular price after special offer. Now have Viatalk, Gizmo Voice with ATA and MJ. I will drop Viatalk soon. Keep Gizmo Voice as main and use MJ for backup. If i didn't have to keep the computer on..... well you know.
RobQ
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had no land line for almost a year.Got my MJ and cell integrated to GV. And also i just got my Nettalk as my private line. Laughing
CDJ
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using MJ & Net10 prepaid for my telephones. No contracts and no monthly bills. I don't use the cellphone much.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been almost two years since I gave up my landline. Since then, I have almost completely integrated my two MJ's and my cell phone into Google Voice. As of yesterday, I installed GV Dialer on my cell phone, so that now all outgoing calls are channeled through Google Voice, with my GV number showing on the receiver's CID.

My cell phone voice mail goes directly to GV, so anyone who calls gets the appropriate message for their group. My work related callers hear one message, friends and family another, and unidentified calls hear the standard greeting. Since GV is in my Friends & Family, it also saves me from being charged for checking my voicemail, which I always thought was kind of cheesy.

Now, we'll just have to wait and see how long Verizon lets me keep my Google Voice number in my Friends & Family.
MJKobe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yes I have. I got my MJ in Aug 2008. BUT I had DSL so I was in a catch 22 as I needed my landline for DSl. UNTIL they offered naked DSL 3 months ago. I dropped my landline then and havent looked back. BUT my phone company has a unique naked DSL. I can keep my phone line and ONLY receive calls at no charge. I can't call out ( other than 911). BUT between my MJ and Google Voice I dont need too. I could not be happier...

Joe Sica

Lucky you Joe! You have PSTN receiving for free plus 911 services.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and it is still going strong, other than the beeping issue we had last summer I have zero complaints. If I don't tell anyone I am using VOIP and MJ in particular, they would never know.
So I get DSL ( 6 mps) AND a landline to receive calls for $29.00 a month. All and all WELL worth it for me, moneywise AND call quality wise, yes my MJ sounds THAT good..

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jackiehsu97
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yep and it is still going strong, other than the beeping issue we had last summer I have zero complaints. If I don't tell anyone I am using VOIP and MJ in particular, they would never know.
So I get DSL ( 6 mps) AND a landline to receive calls for $29.00 a month. All and all WELL worth it for me, moneywise AND call quality wise, yes my MJ sounds THAT good..

Joe Sica

HOLY POOP!!! 6 mps FOR ONLY 29.00 A MONTH??? What service are you using?!!?!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackiehsu97 wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

Joe Sica

I am using Frontier.
I had some billing issues Oct of 2008. I called and complained and kept asking about "naked" DSL. Finally in March of 2009 they said they just started offering it, a lite version 1.5mps for $29.99 and the 6mps for about $53. The 6 mps only saved me about 3 bucks so it wasnt a good deal. I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained about all the billing problems and lack of fixing them. He said, tell you what, you can keep your 6 mps speed and we will give it to you at the 1.5 mps price. PLUS lock you in for 2 years. Twist my arm why don't you Smile On top of that I got a loyality credit ( becuase of locking in for 2 years) of $5 which lowers it to $24.99. Not bad huh? Now after my 2 years are up next March I haven't a clue what it will go up too.
What I really liked about this whole deal is I got to keep my landline # ( for free) to still get incoming calls. I use my MJ for outgoing. My quaility is great.

Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jackiehsu97
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
jackiehsu97 wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

Joe Sica

I am using Frontier.
I had some billing issues Oct of 2008. I called and complained and kept asking about "naked" DSL. Finally in March of 2009 they said they just started offering it, a lite version 1.5mps for $29.99 and the 6mps for about $53. The 6 mps only saved me about 3 bucks so it wasnt a good deal. I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained about all the billing problems and lack of fixing them. He said, tell you what, you can keep your 6 mps speed and we will give it to you at the 1.5 mps price. PLUS lock you in for 2 years. Twist my arm why don't you Smile On top of that I got a loyality credit ( becuase of locking in for 2 years) of $5 which lowers it to $24.99. Not bad huh? Now after my 2 years are up next March I haven't a clue what it will go up too.
What I really liked about this whole deal is I got to keep my landline # ( for free) to still get incoming calls. I use my MJ for outgoing. My quaility is great.

Joe

That's AMAZING!!! If only I could do that.... poopy.

==-=---=--==-Jackie-=-= Embarassed Razz Razz Confused
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Soon to be LandLine free Reply with quote

Working on it. I reduced my landline service to the bare minimum about a week ago, right after they had a price increase. I still need it for my home alarm system until I switch it's monitoring over to a cellular adapter. Also waiting for MJ to enable number porting, but after reading the posts on here, that's looking like it may never happen. Maybe I'll use one of the cheap methods mentioned in the forums to reserve my number Then GOODBYE permanently to my landline.

Feels great saving money AND sticking it to the monopolistic giant that is (was?) AT&T.

Gotta LOVE competition. It keeps everybody honest.
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never get rid of the landline. What if power goes out and you need
to call 911? Also 911 doesn't work with MJ outside of the USA. I do have
landline down to basic service though. Even cancelled the touch tone
service. Down to $20 a month plus tax. Good peace of mind for now
but yes would like to shut down landline eventually.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
to call 911? Also 911 doesn't work with MJ outside of the USA. I do have
landline down to basic service though. Even cancelled the touch tone
service. Down to $20 a month plus tax. Good peace of mind for now
but yes would like to shut down landline eventually.

I am lucky I guess as when I went to naked ( dry loop) DSL they let me keep my landline at no charge. I can not dial out EXCEPT for 911 and phone support but I can receive all the calls I want on it. So I can't complain as I have the best of both worlds..

Joe Sica
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
to call 911?

It's called a UPS "battery backup power supply" my wifi hotspot and MagicJack last more than an hour after main power loss,If needed I can hook up a car battery and go for two or three more hours.

I also have a cell phone that works well for 911 calls and the few things MJ seems to not handle correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: