magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Amazing thing Reply with quote

Plugged it into my laptop and was talking long distance within the minute. Can't get it to work on my home PC, crashes it. I've eliminated almost every troubleshooting suggestion except installing a new USB 2.0 Controller. That is next. The only other problem I have is voice mail is full with 5 messages, so I had to set my home voice mail machine to 2 rings to intercept. Also cannot get voice mail to email to the correct email address, even after deleting the one it sends it to.
Great toy for the the money though.
Tim
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ does NOT require USB 2.0 - it runs fine on USB 1.1. This is not to say you don't have a problem with your USB controller - only that if you think it might be a problem because its not USB 2.0, that ain't it.
Gregg
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing thing Reply with quote

timbuk2 wrote:
Can't get it to work on my home PC, crashes it.

If your machine is Blue Screening, try enabling a Mini dump. You can do this on XP by:
1) Right click on "my computer"
2) Click the Advanced Tab
3) Click Settings under Startup and Recovery
4) Under "Write debugging information", choose "Small memory dump (64KB)"
5) Set Small dump directory to something like
Code:
C:\
or
Code:
%SystemRoot%\Minidump

Now try again. You'll still crash, but this time you will have a minidump file in that directory. If you know how to debug crash dumps, debug the .dmp file. Otherwise, email it to me, and I can debug it for you.
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
MJ does NOT require USB 2.0 - it runs fine on USB 1.1. This is not to say you don't have a problem with your USB controller - only that if you think it might be a problem because its not USB 2.0, that ain't it.

I've just tried about everything else I can find on the internet related except for replacing or adding to my USB controller. It's just odd that everything else works fine with all my USB inputs.

Anyway, it's either that or buy a new computer, I've already spent days and nights on this and now that I've canceled my home phone, I need it for my home computer as I take my lap top away on work and need the phone at home. Seems like MJ may not like Dell... Wink

Thanks
Tim
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbuk2 wrote:

Anyway, it's either that or buy a new computer, I've already spent days and nights on this and now that I've canceled my home phone, I need it for my home computer as I take my lap top away on work and need the phone at home. Seems like MJ may not like Dell... Wink

Thanks
Tim

I hope you're really kidding about that since many of us (including me) have no trouble with MJ on Dell hardware.
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing thing Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get a chance. I usually am able to resolve all my issues, I just have less time and patience than I used to. I'll probably have to post back with the info after the weekend when I get back from the races.
Tim

Gregg wrote:
If your machine is Blue Screening, try enabling a Mini dump. You can do this on XP by:
1) Right click on "my computer"
2) Click the Advanced Tab
3) Click Settings under Startup and Recovery
4) Under "Write debugging information", choose "Small memory dump (64KB)"
5) Set Small dump directory to something like
Code:
C:\
or
Code:
%SystemRoot%\Minidump

Now try again. You'll still crash, but this time you will have a minidump file in that directory. If you know how to debug crash dumps, debug the .dmp file. Otherwise, email it to me, and I can debug it for you.
Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: