magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All my USB ports shut down every so often

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hihofink
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: All my USB ports shut down every so often Reply with quote

this is now the third time in 2 months. I turn on the computer but the mouse, keyboard, printer, mj, and all other usb devises shut down. not sure why...but it started right about the time i purchased the magic jack.

i have to toggle the usb specs in the control panel and keep restarting to get it to work again. could this be because of magicjack? has anyone else had this problem?>
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have this problem with my Dell Optiplex GX260, 2.8Mhz, 1G RAM. It seems all the USB ports would die if I plug in another USB device, unplug the device then plug it back in. However, I don't think it is caused by the MJ device as this issue was there prior to adding the MJ. I don't have USB port dying issue on my other PCs or laptops when using MJ.

Perhaps, the PC shuts down all the USB ports when it experiences power surge at one of its USB ports.
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is caused due to not having enough power to give to all your usb devices, get a usb hub with wall ac adapter(make sure it has an ac adapter) that should solve your usb problems. walmart has a good one for about $20.00 it is the cyberpower model CP-H420P.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a good D-link 7-port USB 2.0 hub with its own 5v 3A power supply and the USB dying issue is still there. It could be that the motherboard's USB hub design is faulty.
Gerry_52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be a software conflict with several USB drivers all cranking up at once along with other programs booting simutaniously. As I remember a program such as Startup Monitor allows you to resequence and add delays to your startup programs. This can be a way to resolve conflicts during startup.
mikemac2000
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my MJ for 6 days now. Love it. I experienced the same thing yesterday, all my USB (1.1) ports went dark (mouse, printer, MJ). Thankfully my keyboard is PS2 and worked fine. I tried re-booting numerous times, but same result. The PS2 keyboard gave me enough 'navigation' to get on the Web and research.

My PC is about 7-8 years old (all original except for psu 2 years ago), and I thought the old girl's mobo was tellin' me it was time to hang up the spurs. However, after sifting through all the doom and gloom, I found one entry that said to not only shut down the 'puter, but to also unplug it from the wall for a few minutes. A true, full, cold start. Guess what? That did the trick! All USB's now back in working order, icluding MJ. I used it all day today and no problems.

You may want to try this first next time, before jumping through the other hoops... Very Happy
Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: