magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adapting for Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbodt
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Adapting for Mac Reply with quote

[font=Century Gothic:b6bdc98f61] [/font:b6bdc98f61] I am having trouble getting jack converted to work with my IMac. I follow the instructions, but when I plug it into the Mac, there is no dial tone. Any help would be appreciated. Right now I have to drag out my laptop (vista) to use the magicjack. Thanks, Jim
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly seems to be your problem, Jim?

When you plug the MJ into the Mac, does a window come up? You have to double-click the icon in that window to start the Mac software, as Macs don't have "autostart" like the PCs (which is a feature to me, not a bug).

When you double-click the icon, two separate applications come up which make your MJ work.

And remember it only works on an Intel-based Mac (according to MJ). I haven't tried it on my old Mac to see if it's true.

Also, the first time I did it, it took probably 5 minutes of plugging, and waiting, and plugging and waiting to see that it all finally worked. Now that it's gotten "happy", it works each time in no more time than plugging into Windoze.

The Mac software does not have the caller logs and phonebook however. And, of course, no option to use the Mac Address Book, which would be really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gibhenry
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adapting for Mac Reply with quote

jimbodt wrote:
[font=Century Gothic:e0ce969099] [/font:e0ce969099] I am having trouble getting jack converted to work with my IMac. I follow the instructions, but when I plug it into the Mac, there is no dial tone.�

The MagicJack is basically a USB solid-state "disk drive," like the 2GB flash drives you plug in. You have to allow it to mount, which might require a powered USB hub; you can't use a keyboard USB port, nor an unpowered hub, although you can use the Mac's built-in USB ports (it's a power issue).

After it does mount, you should find an installer program in an self-opening Finder window. Run that, follow the instructions onscreen, and then you'll be good to go. Note: Do not unmount or remove the "drive" while using MagicJack, but do unmount it in the Finder before you remove it from your USB hub! Those precautions apply to any external mounted storage device, USB or FireWire. Cheers,
larysius73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey GuyOnTheAir,

do you by any chance have the software for the mac that you can send me? i have a new imac osx leopard 10.5 and from what i'm reading on other forums it's only working on 10.4.1, and i can't seem to locate a direct link to the mac software anywhere. magicjacks tech support is so technologically challenged, it's not even funny. i've tried the mac upgrade page numerous times to no avail and can only get it to work if i use parellels windows emulating software on the mac or booting directly into windows. any ideas or can you get me a copy of the software for it? any help would be appreciated. thank you.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to MJ, you have to use a Windows machine to "upgrade" your MJ to work on a Mac. I don't have any special links or software, but as I'm aware, you must first get the new software using a Windows machine that your MJ is plugged into, before you can expect it work on the Mac.

And, as I've pointed out many times, I don't seem to have this trouble with only being able to use 10.4.x to use the MJ. I use 10.5.2 just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: MJ use on MAC Reply with quote

Hi,
I downloaded the MAC upgrade from a PC, did all the registration stuff and made a phone call from the PC.
When I plug the MJ into my MacBook I get the msg "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
Can anyone help?

Thanks, Tom
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ use on MAC Reply with quote

massage1992 wrote:
Hi,
I downloaded the MAC upgrade from a PC, did all the registration stuff and made a phone call from the PC.
When I plug the MJ into my MacBook I get the msg "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
Can anyone help?

Thanks, Tom

Been getting that too all of a sudden. Not sure why. I also notice from the MJ site that there will be a Mac firmware upgrade posted Monday. Let's hope this solves things for us.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PC, if you insert your MJ, it just starts up. On the Mac, if all is working correctly, you'll get a window telling you to "double=click the icon to use MJ" or some such. If you don't get that window, it's odd.

You could try waiting until Monday for the upgrade (although I don't have anything special and mine works), or you might download the thing on a PC that basically blasts out your MJ device and reloads. I think it's available as a download after trying to use MagicFix, or it is right below the MagicFix java applet window...

Other places on this forum also mention it, but I'm forgetting the exact name of it at the moment. Sorry.

Of course, doesn't ever hurt to try the Mac "upgrade" again...
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Mac Setup Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Guy.
The MJ worked great on the PC and I did a MAC download that was successful.
I'll wait until Monday and see if the new fix works any better.
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Setup Reply with quote

massage1992 wrote:
Thanks for the info Guy.
The MJ worked great on the PC and I did a MAC download that was successful.
I'll wait until Monday and see if the new fix works any better.

I couldn't get the MAC download to work for me. I hope its not because Im using VMFusion with XP. Every attempt I've made to do it I get error messages. I guess I'll wait till Monday and see what update they post.
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MAC run OS X only.
Let's see if Monday has our fix(es).
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massage1992 wrote:
My MAC run OS X only.
Let's see if Monday has our fix(es).

Fix isn't posted yet. C'mon guys give us Mac users some love!!
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac beta fix is up finally. Here is hoping a miracle happens and I get it working on Leopard even though it says it only works with Tiger.
allskinny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Still working on upgrade for the mac.... Reply with quote

I just had a chat with tech support, and they are still saying that it is being worked on, and to allow another 24 hours for their upgrades to take effect. I got an error that my magicjack could not resolve softphone.talk4free.com.

Anyone have any suggestions within the next 24 hours? Smile

Thanks!
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same message I got.
I tried going to softphone.talk4free.com but it's not found.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck.
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massage1992 wrote:
That's the same message I got.
I tried going to softphone.talk4free.com but it's not found.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck.

Just downloaded the update. MJ says Download in Progress, please do not unplug. I'm not sure why you would need it plugged into a PC since the file to be downloaded is a .dmg file which PCs don't open. Since I'm running VMWare Fusion I slid it to the Mac side and opened it up. It's still updating not sure if it's going to be a go or not.

And of course its not working. Back to the drawing board as I'm determined to get it to work.
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET!!! I went back and figured out what I did wrong. All is good now.
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
How'd you get passed the softphone.talk4free.com problem?

Tom
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massage1992 wrote:
Congrats!
How'd you get passed the softphone.talk4free.com problem?

Tom

I didn't have that problem at all. The ONLY issue I had was that I had to download the .dmg on my WinXP side (Im using VMFusion), then slide it over to my OSX side, open it up, then slide that MJ Utility BACK to the XP side, click on it. Let it update then I was good to go. HOWEVER after all that I cannot get a dialtone on my phone. Not sure what settings in my preferences I should be using for it. Also under menu there is no Phone or headset option like there was on the XP side. l So while its updated and showing up on Leopard I'm back to being confused on how to get it working. No dialtone on my mini corded el cheapo flip phone as I said. Thats my next project...to get that part working. Laughing
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even seem to upgrade mine. If I got to http://support.magicjack.com/hybridizer/macUpgrade.html I get a message:

Quote:

Failed to locate your magicJack. Please reinsert the jack and wait for the phone to start. Run MagicFix if the phone fails to start normally. Rerun the Mac OS X Upgrade once your magicJack is operating correctly.

An error occurred while upgrading your magicJack.

That's cute and all, but my MJ is working just fine on the PC. (And on the Mac for that matter. Just thought maybe the upgrade would be good for it...)
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCSholtis said:
Quote:
The ONLY issue I had was that I had to download the .dmg on my WinXP side (Im using VMFusion), then slide it over to my OSX side, open it up, then slide that MJ Utility BACK to the XP side, click on it. Let it update then I was good to go.

I'm confused. On my Windoze machine, I got two options for the upgrade. One, marked "For magicJacks purchased between March 8th and April 12th, click here to download the firmware update" takes you to http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackUpdateUtility.dmg. The other, "Everyone else...try this Mac upgrade first" takes you to http://support.magicjack.com/hybridizer/macUpgrade.html

The second "everyone else" link gave me the messages I posted above. The second, gave me the .dmg file as you noted, DSCholtis. However, I just downloaded the DMG on my Mac, opened it, and it gave me a Mac utility to upgrade. I did not get any Windoze program, and didn't have to switch files back and forth...

Since my MJ is not at the location where my Mac is at this moment, I don't have a way to test the Mac utility, though. Sad
massage1992
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I loaded the latest MAC upgrade and everything is working GREAT!
I have a cordless phone hooked up and can make/receive calls.
Try reloading todays Mac upgrade and try again.

Good Luck.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massage1992,

Did you load today's upgrade on your Mac or PC?

I notice all of the sudden that the page for Mac updates has changed, and there is no mention of needing a PC to update it anymore, at least on that page...
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
massage1992,

Did you load today's upgrade on your Mac or PC?

I notice all of the sudden that the page for Mac updates has changed, and there is no mention of needing a PC to update it anymore, at least on that page...

What happened for me was that I did move the dmg to the Mac side, opened it up. Tried the update and after about 20 minutes and a bouncing dock icon, nothing. So I re opened up XP, re plugged the MJ, re ran the update and it worked. Not sure if either had a difference in the other working. Now to get a dial tone on my mini flip. That's tonight's project. What settings do you have to have either your MJ or Sound preferences set for to get the dialtone. I'm thinking it's the phone thats the problem but I can't be sure at this point so I'm charging my Jawbone and will try it with MJ later on.
macsnjets
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the mac version working yesterday but since then, incoming phone calls won't ring the telephone on either the mac or pc.
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macsnjets wrote:
I got the mac version working yesterday but since then, incoming phone calls won't ring the telephone on either the mac or pc.

I get no dialtone either way. Using either a corded phone or my bluetooth headset. What am I doing wrong?!!
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you can't seem to get a dialtone on either a Mac or a PC, I'd go to the TechChat and ask for another mJ.

I wouldn't mention, if I were you, that your Windows version is running through emulation...
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
Well, since you can't seem to get a dialtone on either a Mac or a PC, I'd go to the TechChat and ask for another mJ.

I wouldn't mention, if I were you, that your Windows version is running through emulation...

I have one more thing I want to check out first then if that fails then I'll do that. I THINK the problem may lie in the fact that when I plug MJ in my sound preferences go to Tigerjet phone or something like that but the FAQ states that the sound settings should be set to go thru the PC or Mac in my case. Will fiddle with that tonight then if unsuccessful I'll go to TechChat. Thanks.
jsb_hburg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 10.5.2 and I get dialtone on the phone connected to the MJ but not through the internal speakers of the MacBook. Also, the MJ does not work with the internal microphone of the MacBook either but all is fine through the phone connected to the MJ.

Any thoughts on this or should I be patient for a firmware update for the MJ?

Thanks,
Joe
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsb_hburg wrote:
I am running 10.5.2 and I get dialtone on the phone connected to the MJ but not through the internal speakers of the MacBook. Also, the MJ does not work with the internal microphone of the MacBook either but all is fine through the phone connected to the MJ.

Any thoughts on this or should I be patient for a firmware update for the MJ?

Thanks,
Joe

Your getting more than I am right now.....
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you do with the .dmg Mac upgrade file? I downloaded it to my desktop, but can't run it. I downloaded it to the MJ F: drive, but nno change there. When I went thru MagicFix it said it was trying to run the upgrade, but it couldn't access the MJ. MJ is plugged in and working just fine on this Dell XP laptop, but I want to run the upgrade MJ for the Mac. How do you use this .dmg file? I can't believe they tell you to download it but don't tell you where or what's next.
DCSholtis
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delavan wrote:
What exactly do you do with the .dmg Mac upgrade file? I downloaded it to my desktop, but can't run it. I downloaded it to the MJ F: drive, but nno change there. When I went thru MagicFix it said it was trying to run the upgrade, but it couldn't access the MJ. MJ is plugged in and working just fine on this Dell XP laptop, but I want to run the upgrade MJ for the Mac. How do you use this .dmg file? I can't believe they tell you to download it but don't tell you where or what's next.

I have VMFusion running XP on my Mac so I slid the .dmg onto my Mac side and ran it while still having XP up and running thats how I did it on mine but I've yet to get it physically working even though it now appears on my Mac desktop.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .dmg file is actually a mac disk image file. You should really download the .dmg to your mac. Once there, save it to a handy place, then double-click it to mount it. Find the disk icon that is now mounted on your desktop. Inside will be a mJ upgrade utility, that runs on a Mac, NOT a PC.

I'm too scared to actually do it on mine, though, cuz they make it pretty clear that if you didn't buy your mJ after March 8, that it might break it, and right now, it works just fine using the old Mac upgrade thing they had before...

I'll have to look up my purchase orders and see exactly when I bought my mJ. But, what's annoying to me is that there seems to be no alternative for people outside of the dates they list. What if my mJ is older? What am I supposed to do then?
mikeyg61
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: .DMG File Reply with quote

If your MJ works on Mac & it is older than 03/08/08 then don't do the new .DMG file. Leave well enough alone. I think that the original MJs were shipped with NO Mac capability at all. That's why they had to write a Windows/DOS file to "Hybrid" the MJ to work on Mac. It seems that newer MJs that were shipped after 03/08/08 could were built to accept a true Mac file (.DMG) as the newer update is. Do this update on your Mac NOT Windows. I did. I'm glad to see this too. Not many Mac users also own a PC. There is a cutoff date on the newer update for 04/12/08. I suppose that after this date the MJ will be shipped with the firmware already installed. Maybe it will just have to download a short software file & registration just like Windows. All works well for me...Except I can't seem to get Caller ID or Call waiting to work on the phone. The Caller ID & Call Waiting work fine on my mom's Windows XP computer, using the same MJ & phone. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or resolutions? Laughing Shocked Question
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It looks like we're returning the MJ. The Mac refused to recognize it and running the dmg file didn't work either. The Mac is Power PC based, not Intel, but we thought we'd try it anyway. I got on Tech Support chat and RAIN insisted that we needed an Intel based Mac. When we said that wasn't going to happen and wanted to return the MJ, he suggested that it would really be much easier to just replace the Mac than return the MJ. I replied "Say what!?!?". I didn't know it was that difficult to return the MJ. Cool Seriously though, as soon as we get an RMA, back it goes. It did work just fine on my Dell XP laptop, but the person who wanted to use it doesn't have XP or an Intel Mac. Oh well, thanks anyway!
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't say that I'm surprised that you had trouble, Delavan. I mean, after all,

the home page of the MagicJack site makes it pretty darn clear exactly what systems it'll work on.

If you chose to ignore those, and were hoping it would work anyway, you can't be too surprised when it doesn't, at least to my way of thinking...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: