magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Little Bit More On The New Wi-Fi Device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: A Little Bit More On The New Wi-Fi Device Reply with quote

Being curious about the new MJ "Wi-Fi Device," I decided to scour the 'net to refresh my memory of info that MJ had previously announced about it, and to hopefully uncover additional info that I hadn't previously hesard. Here's what I have found/concluded:

1. Utilization of a new, more powerful processor chip, incorporating additional local buses (at least one of which will handle Wi-Fi chores).

2. Significantly increased on-board memory.

3. The device will be able to connect directly to a broadband MODEM (thus eliminating all current router-based issues) and serve as a Wi-Fi access point.

4. Video processing has been reported from multiple sources, indicating high probability that reports of video streaming (including ability to access VOD as well as video conferencing/calling) have been accurate.

5. Significantly improved audio quality, due at least in part to more advanced audio processing (apparently including background noise cancellation - including hissing, "pops," etc.). Found one reference to possibility of utilizing a better codec, but personally I doubt its accuracy.

6. Significantly improved power management, apparently including a built-in "sleep" mode. I fail to see any really practical need for this, unless it will help to reduce heat build-up within the device and thus prolong its useful life and increase its reliability. I'd certainly be curious to see exactly how fast it can "wake up" from sleep and respond to an incoming call without adversely affecting audio quality at the beginning of the call.

7. Ability of one device to accommodate 'multiple phones" in order to better meet the needs of business customers. I don't know if this means multiple "traditional" 2-wire phones, a multi-line digital phone system, or multiple digital VOIP phones. I *do* know that the company claims it has developed a new means by which it can create multiple "virtual" phone numbers that I think can somehow be accessed via a single "real" phone number; whether the "work" for this will in practice be "handled" by the device or the MJ and/or YMAX network, or some combination thereof, I don't know.

8. Physically, the device is said to be slightly larger than the MJ+ and to have an LCD screen on it.

I've also seen one report that indicated that the company was actively seeking one or more broadband ISP "partners," presumably so that they could offer discounted broadband service bundled with MJ service.

The device was initially said to be expected to be ready by sometime during the last quarter of 2012, but true to MJ's reputation regarding such things it's now said to become available by the end of 2013.
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing INTERESTING Smile

We'll see how it goes, I'm excitedfor for this!! Gonna get one.
HypoChonDriac
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radzkillah wrote:
Laughing INTERESTING Smile

We'll see how it goes, I'm excitedfor for this!! Gonna get one.

oh goodie.. then enlighten us with your review after a week of use.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Will the new magicjack device offer triple play service? Reply with quote

During the last earnings call,the CEO stated magicjack will be reselling 4G internet service in the second half of 2013.My guess would be that service would most likely be sprint/clearwire service.If they can resell unlimited 4g internet at a low enough price,this might enable magicjack to offer triple play service (internet/home phone/Video on demand)or even quad play service(internet/home phone/cell phone/video on demand) for a low,if not lowest, price.I mentioned cell phone service because the ceo also stated they would add texting and start charging for the magicjack app later this year,which may mean magicjack plans on offering an inexpensive solution for total cell phone service (talk/text/4G data) on unlocked smartphones.Of course,this is just speculation on my part as we will first have to wait and see if the new device really will be released by the end of the second quarter as the CEO claimed.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: New device will be available online by end of this month. Reply with quote

In today's earnings call,the CEO said the new magicjack device will be available online by the end of May and available in retail stores by the end of June.Price of the new magicjack will be $49.99 and include 6 months of service.
dirtbikerprn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New device will be available online by end of this mont Reply with quote

truthfreedompeace777 wrote:
In today's earnings call,the CEO said the new magicjack device will be available online by the end of May and available in retail stores by the end of June.Price of the new magicjack will be $49.99 and include 6 months of service.

Thanks Dan!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: More info on new products Reply with quote

MJ gave out a bit more info last night on what's coming next:

The *new* MJ Plus device will be available for purchase from the MJ website within the next 2-3 weeks, and in retail outlets about a month later. It will retail for $50 - a decrease in price from that of the current version - but will include only 6 months of service; no word on whether or not current subscribers will get a discounted offer. Apparently MJ did some market research and found that consumers prefer the $50 price point with a reduced initial service subscription.

$30 for 1-year and $100 for 5-year renewals will continue.

They have reached agreements with more telcos on call termination/interconnect fees etc.

No word on the call forwarding issue.

Still reporting 3.27 million active subscriptions.

The new MJ Plus device sounds EXCELLENT, and maintains its cost-to-consumer advantage over its main consumer-grade "decent voice quality" voip competitor (OOMA) on the hardware end in a really big way.

The new device will NOT require software installation on a pc for activation, or even any connection to a pc at all for activation; activation will now be completed via simply going to a website via conventional browsers.

Audio quality still said to be improved over current MJ Plus. Will have greater on-board memory, much more capable processor, more ports, and greater usefulness in business applications.

New iOS and Android app versions, with text messaging included, are still on track for deployment by end of this year. The new apps will cost for download (price undetermined as of yet but I'm sure it'll be cheap), but free "attachment" to already-paid-for MJ service phone numbers will continue.
k-king
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: The *new* MJ Plus device will be available for purchase from Reply with quote

The *new* MJ PLUS or the mj wifi?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The *new* MJ Plus device will be available for purchase Reply with quote

k-king wrote:
The *new* MJ PLUS or the mj wifi?

As far as *I* know they're one and the same. They also state that the *next* iteration of the device will come out in about 1.5 years from now. I'm assuming that the *current* "new" MJ Plus device will sport Wi-Fi and that the *next* one will sport video capabilities as well.

What I think are the most significant "take-aways" for most current subscribers: a) Annual renewal fees not expected to change, b) free app usage with pre-existing pre-paid device subscriptions will continue (this is ALSO a cost-to-consumer advantage over OOMA and other providers who now charge *extra* for app usage), c) support of older devices will continue, d) company growing profitably and with plenty of *cash* resulting in no concern for going out of business, e) text messaging *definitely* in new app release, and f) new MJ+ device far more robust with much easier activation process and much greater support for business applications.

One additional piece of potentially relevant info: MJ execs say that recent FCC decision(s) have "leveled the playing field" regarding imposition of call termination/interconnect fees between VOIP and traditional landline carriers - to MJ's benefit. Apparently AT&T and Verizon, in particular, were not paying MJ any such required fees; now that they are required to do so they've become much more cooperative with MJ on reaching agreements. I suspect that this may also be why AT&T is suddenly now being not only supportive of VOIP but even expressing interest in getting into it itself in a big way - but I doubt that they'll ever be able to compete with MJ on price.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: "new" magicjack plus Reply with quote

Considering the release date of the new device is in 2-3 weeks,it does seem strange that the company is referring to the new device as simply the "new" magicjack plus as it seems that name would cause the "new" plus to be confused with the "old" plus.I also thought the new device would be named "Magicjack WIFI".Maybe the company for some reason does not want to reveal the "real" name of the new device for the purpose of not revealing certain features of the new device until it is available for sale?Who knows?We shall find out soon enough.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "new" magicjack plus Reply with quote

truthfreedompeace777 wrote:
Considering the release date of the new device is in 2-3 weeks,it does seem strange that the company is referring to the new device as simply the "new" magicjack plus as it seems that name would cause the "new" plus to be confused with the "old" plus.I also thought the new device would be named "Magicjack WIFI".Maybe the company for some reason does not want to reveal the "real" name of the new device for the purpose of not revealing certain features of the new device until it is available for sale?Who knows?We shall find out soon enough.

- I think you are WAY "over-thinking" this Wink Who cares what the "name" of the device will be? They've never called it "magicJack WIFI" - at least nowhere in any formal company announcements that *I've* ever read - and have been making announcements about its expected features from the very beginning. They've been planning on including considerably more new features than just Wi-Fi connectability right from day one, and at this point I doubt VERY much that they'd actually consider *not* including Wi-Fi connectability. At any rate, I'm sure that whatever they *have* decided to formally "name" it will have been a decision *strictly* for MARKETING purposes just like any other consumer product company's product-naming process.

Having said that, I must confess that *I* do not see Wi-Fi connectability as any really great thing for a MJ device; I would expect that Ethernet will continue to be a more reliable means of connection to a router. And for those who travel a lot and thus have a greater need to rely on public "hot spots" and hotel Wi-Fi connections, certainly using an iOS or Android device with the MJ app installed is far easier than having to schlep around a MJ device with a telephone connected to it. However, it *is* true that there are usually only 4 Ethernet jacks on consumer-grade routers, so maybe between that and device-to-router proximity issues Wi-Fi might be desirable for some people.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: "new" magicjack plus Reply with quote

Steve,I probably am over-thinking this.lol...Anyway,I plan on getting the new device as soon as it is available.Have a good weekend.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: 'new" magicjack plus Reply with quote

Here is an excerpt from a magicjack press release from 10/19/2012......With respect to the Company's specific product plans, Borislow stated, "2013 will be the year we introduce some staple products and services that will have a very long shelf life and can be enhanced in the future by adding USB modules and/or software. One is the magicJack Wi-Fi that can also serve as a router, a 4G hotspot, and provide Triple Play capabilities all with backwards compatibility. There are a host of new inventions that come along with this product at launch. Further, we will integrate our new Numbers invention into our softphones/apps and make it available on almost any 4G platform including smartphones, computers, portable phones and tablets, etc. The softphone and corresponding apps will include free texting and SMS capabilities to internal and external networks. We will have a few very significant new products in the home and enterprise markets and expect to be in the small enterprise market later in 2013. This was also an important quarter because we have figured out our future plans and started design work. The first quarter 2013 will be our next important quarter as we roll out these products and services with the financial benefits starting and continuing on a greater pace in second quarter 2013 and beyond. We will convert our IP (including patents) into cash and other benefits in 2013. We also expect to diversify our business into other unrelated products and services and to broaden our wholesale telecom services offerings." Borislow finishes with, "We are the very best at a lot of things we do; now we need to become the best at everything we do including when expanding into new markets."
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Wink

Yeah. Borislow also once said that he pretty much expected the MJ client-based technology would be picked up by a phone manufacturer under licensing and incorporated into landline and/or cellular phones.

He has always been the type of guy who was good at initial product development & startup but who otherwise would tend to run his mouth "stream-of-consciously" without really thinking about what he was saying or how he was saying it and wind up over-promising, under-delivering, and pissing people off. A *real* character for sure. And he knew it. Which is why nobody ever really paid too much attention to his public "pronouncements" and focused instead on things like the contents of SEC filings, quarterly reports, etc.

The guy currently running the show - G. Vento - is altogether different. Extremely organized, focused, deliberate, realistic and sticks to facts. Whatever he and/or his direct underlings say publicly or in writing you can generally pretty much bank on. And he doesn't over-promise/under-deliver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: