magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Good Price For Ooma

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a company rep-

Just a FYI -- ooma is not routing calls over other user's landlines (e.g. Distributed Termination). Any mention of this was removed from the user T&C's and the ooma website from the website a few months ago. The original intent of this "people-powered" network was to save costs with calling. Unfortunately it lent itself to be a poor user experience due to the fact we needed to block the outgoing caller-ID (e.g. a call going over another user's landline would show as "unknown" as the caller-ID instead of the caller's true name). Also, our business plan went through a couple revisions last year (starting with separating out enhanced features -- ooma Premier -- from the core service features and further recognizing calling economies of scale). As a result, we are able to continue to offer free phone service as a sustainable and scalable business.
stroths

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbor got Ooma about a week ago. I saw a guy with an Ooma label on his jacket running wires from his house in the middle of the night a few days ago.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Ooma is really a CIA funded phone company and they are listening to all our calls-OMG!!!Who runs the CIA now? I want a refund damnit!!
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
ooma is not routing calls over other user's landlines (e.g. Distributed Termination). Any mention of this was removed from the user T&C's and the ooma website from the website a few months ago.

Thanks. I'm surprised they don't publish a more affirmative statement (easier to find) considering all the cautions and criticisms of Ooma on the internet. It seems like they would want their withdrawal from that idea (criticized for two years) to be more visible.

Mark
stroths

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care to read through it since I have no plans on getting Ooma since my MJ works fine.

However, here is a copy of their T&C from Jan 2008 for anyone interested.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080112175122/www.ooma.com/termsandconditions/

Here's a copy of their FAQ from Dec 2007. The last point talks about using other people's private lines. It doesn't state landline specifically though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071221213920/www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_faq.php

Quote:

If my calls are routed through someone else's private line over the internet, how does ooma ensure that my calls remain private and secure?

* close ooma has been engineered to detect and thwart third-parties from being able to listen in on your phone calls. As a result, ooma is no less secure than a traditional landline.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Here's a copy of their FAQ from Dec 2007. The last point talks about using other people's private lines. It doesn't state landline specifically though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071221213920/www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_faq.php

Quote:

If my calls are routed through someone else's private line over the internet, how does ooma ensure that my calls remain private and secure?

* close ooma has been engineered to detect and thwart third-parties from being able to listen in on your phone calls. As a result, ooma is no less secure than a traditional landline.

Thanks. That's the topic which is the subject of many warnings on blogs and forums concerning Ooma. I'm still leery that they don't use customer landlines (when available) to terminate calls for other customers.

"Saxman" had a letter from Ooma saying they don't do this any more. But, the FAQ indicates they do. I'm surprised (given the level of criticism) that they wouldn't make their withdrawal from this practice clearer and more visible. And now we'll be told "They must have just forgot to remove it."

That's possible. But, doesn't seem plausible considering all the criticism Ooma has received. If they withdrew from this obviously insecure practice, it seems like they'd waste no time making it clear they withdrew.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: