magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 Minute limit = call drops automatically.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmd1208
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: 60 Minute limit = call drops automatically. Reply with quote

Greetings from NJ.

I have noticed that if I am talking with someone - on the (60th) minute the phone call is dropped. This happened to me twice.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can this be changed.

Thanks
pcguy760
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER - HERE IS ONE LINK I FOUND THAT MIGHT HELP YOU ...

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/update-on-the-one-hour-talk-limit-t4253.html
pcguy760
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and just for the record, I talked to MJ Live Help - apparently they fixed the 60 min cut off with the latest upgrade - well that's what he said and if it did not work, the guy told me to contact live help again so they could "configure" it to work Idea
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcguy760 wrote:
That is not high school or something bro - if you knew the answer it would have taken you the same amount of time to post it INSTEAD OF BEING IGNORANT.

FWIW: I tend to agree with Joe. It's amazing to me how people post tech support questions to the "hacks" forum (e.g., this topic). How they don't spend a little time reading even recent topics. The other day someone posted asking how to change the ring tone when just two threads down was a topic titled "how to change your ringtone."

Some people aren't going to be helped no matter what. If they can't spend a little time to post in the right place, do a little background reading, etc., they won't be able to cope with the solutions often necessary to make MJ work.

I disagree that it would take as much time to answer the question as it would to point out how they obviously didn't spend a modicum of time studying for themselves. The point of such a response isn't to save time on that response. It's to save time on all the others.

Mark
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, az. Couldn't have said it better.. Very Happy
aaronwt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see this 60 minute problem. I have made several calls that lasted between 70 and 80 minutes and the call was never dropped.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLUS........... Instead of waiting DAYS for a repy to your "question" you would have had the answer in 60 seconds or less BY DOING A SEARCH FIRST.
Also I "ASSUME" you heard of GOOGLE right? When you need to look something up do you use Google? IF SO, then apply the same knowledge here.... SEARCH first, if nothing, THEN post a question.
Again sure I could have said "yes MJ since their last UPDATE has limited outgoing calls to 60 min". BUT had you searched you would have seen a FLOOD of questions AND answers to that exact problem providing you with MUCH MUCH more info than just my answer.....
Remember search is your............. nahhhhhhhhhhh I think you get it by now..

Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
msiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
PLUS........... Instead of waiting DAYS for a repy to your "question" you would have had the answer in 60 seconds or less BY DOING A SEARCH FIRST.
Also I "ASSUME" you heard of GOOGLE right? When you need to look something up do you use Google? IF SO, then apply the same knowledge here.... SEARCH first, if nothing, THEN post a question.
Again sure I could have said "yes MJ since their last UPDATE has limited outgoing calls to 60 min". BUT had you searched you would have seen a FLOOD of questions AND answers to that exact problem providing you with MUCH MUCH more info than just my answer.....
Remember search is your............. nahhhhhhhhhhh I think you get it by now..

Joe

lol.. Yeeeeeeaaaah.. by now, I would think so...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR one would hope so Smile

Wanna bet "someone" does a search from now on prior to posting? I know I would...

I didnt say what I said to the O.P. JUST to be a P.I.T.A. I said it becuase it was discussed SO MUCH and a simple search would have yielded SO MUCH INFO for him right away. Oh well enough of that.

I am the first to help anyone in need, especially PC problems. I am an out of work PC guy and I help people all the time and never charge friends, neighbors or family. Or people who are in worse shape than I am. I feel bad for them and dont charge.

BUT sometimes people need to R.T.F.M. first eh?

Joe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
msiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoop!! De id iz.. Very Happy
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
BUT sometimes people need to R.T.F.M. first eh?

In fairness, it's not easy to find info on forums. Discussions aren't the best stores for info. There's a lot of good info in the threads. But, they roll off into obscurity. Or, they're made into a "sticky" and then grow into a 20-page stream of consciousness. That's why I started the wiki.

Maybe we should add something like "recent news" on the wiki "history" page. Make it easier for people to learn about notable events effecting large groups of people (like the "excessive use" terminations, or 4 years old as 5, or the call caps.).

But, you're right that there are more than a few who don't even bother looking at the forums to see what's been discussed over the past week (or even which forum is the best place to ask for tech support).

I always get irritated by the "my phone doesn't ring" requests that don't provide any background info about how MJ is used, whether the problem just began, etc. I don't understand how anyone can expect much help without putting a little time into helping others help *them*. Like, everyone's sitting around just dying to spend their time in a game of 21 questions.

Maybe that's just me.

Mark
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly........ ESPECIALLY since the 60 min topic has been discussed EVERYDAY since the 12/17/08 update. In fact I am sure one didnt even have to do a search as the topic was surely visible if one only bothered to scroll down a tad....

But again, water under the bridge.....

Joe
msiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine we were a little hard on the newbie, I feel bad about that.. He is probably very new to the forum and just didn't know the particulars.. with that I do apologize if it was a little to rough.. I bet it was a lesson , tho.. Very Happy
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.... I agree.. I guess sometimes we forget maybe someone is not only new to a forum BUT maybe the whole online world itself..

So I am man enough to say I am sorry as well...

BUT I can't say it won't happen again Smile It will depend on the question asked. BUT so help me if someone says HEY it cuts me off after 60 min. BANG.... ZOOM To the moon Alice............. Nah i will try to do better.

Smile

Joe
Kimberly
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add that the search engine may not always help to find information in the forum. I am a newbie to this forum, but not to the internet, not to forums, not to VoIP, and not to computer systems by far.

Oh, Google is becoming useless as a search tool, it may be better than anything out there, but it is becoming almost useless to find any real information and I know all the tricks to using it to find useful information.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere on the form that the 60 minute limit has been extended to 2 hours.

I tested it out, and sure enough, both magicjacks have two hour time limits. Can anyone else confirm this?
Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i can confirm it. I tried it several times and yep 2 hour limit. Which I can live with.
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same conclusion here. On my ancient generation One MagicJack, which two weeks ago was cutting me off after a loud buzz at the 60 minute point, is now letting me complete hour and a half teleconferences (as of Saturday, Jan 24) without interruption. I haven't had anything over two hours to test the alleged 2-hour limit.

Yours,
tradertx
Dallas, Texas area
FredFriendly
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyFreightTRAIN wrote:
I read somewhere on the form that the 60 minute limit has been extended to 2 hours.

I tested it out, and sure enough, both magicjacks have two hour time limits. Can anyone else confirm this?

The last time I tested the time limit of outgoing calls the call was cut off at exactly one hour (1:00:00). Performing the same test this morning, it was cut off at exactly one hour fifty-nine minutes (1:59:00).

I wonder if the 'Help[less] Desk' has been informed of this change, or if Dan and crew are still making their clandestined 'experiements.' Has anyone had the misfortune to discuss this with 'Live Chat?'

FredFriendly
=========
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with a one hour limit,but two is more than fair.

As I understand the problem, some MJ calls go on forever and they needed a sure fire way to release the connection so it can be reused by another caller.

Dan should share information like this with his customers,It would go along way toward making this company seem less spooky.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Dan should share information like this with his customers,It would go along way toward making this company seem less spooky.

I agree, this isn't the first time he's pulled a surprise on everyone (including his support group).

But, I disagree with the rationale for the call cap. The story is that it was to fix "phantom" traffic. But, it was solved by telling the softphone to disconnect after 30 minutes (then 1 hour, now 2 hours). How "phantom" is traffic that can be controlled by the softphone? If the softphone can terminate the call, they should have had no trouble identifying abusers of the network and impose a limit on *them* -- probably < 1% of the total customers.

Secondly, zombie connections can be identified by the amount of traffic going through the connection. You can start Wireshark and watch the RTP traffic compared to when you're talking and saying nothing. This kind of monitoring of connection activity could have been performed on their server. If Dan eventually sells an ATA service (as he said he would a few months ago), he'll have to use server-side monitoring like this.

I'm not buying the "phantom" traffic excuse. I think call caps were implemented because MJ sold unexpectedly well during the holiday season. Dan was protecting himself from what he feared would be a huge surge in activity Christmas day.

Mark
gots2go
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can testify to the 2 hour limit. This has happened to me a couple of times with the same person! What can I say... long distance relationships!

Separately, I remember when I had TMobile and they inflicted time limits too. At that time the limit was 90 minutes. In fact, I think Sprint does the same thing currently, I am sure it is all about managing/optimizing the network.
DanD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirming that the limit has now been increased to 2 hours.
luigi2008
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't time it but the outgoing call lasted more than an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: