magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2014 MagicJack Plus release date (leaked)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sslavik
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Numbers yes, accounts... Reply with quote

Last time I was able to port the number to the new one and give a new number to the old one. I had two "devices" but they were in one account. Are you sure this $29.95 deal will be a separate account? Anyone actually done this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Google
AdSense





PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Back to top
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslavik,sorry I was confusing the 2 different device subscriptions as 2 different accounts.I have not yet given one of my old ones away to someone else to have them register it in their name,I may just give my old plus to my mom and pay her yearly fee in my account.

Last edited by truthfreedompeace777 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougb462
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine at Radio Shack here in Orlando . $ 49.99 on sale until this Sat . I figured out you need to buy a SDIO card but wich Class ? I am still trying to figure it out .
_________________
A Buck Saved is a Buck Saved !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 195
Location: West Coast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

DJDaveX wrote:
SteveHC wrote:
DJDaveX wrote:
JUST BOUGHT THE NEW 2014 MJ WITH WiFi PRINTED ON IT YESTARDAY ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOTHING WITH WiFi AS IT SAYS!!! TRIED THEIR CHAT TECH SUPPORT AND ALL THEY KEPT REPEATING WAS THAT I HAD TO HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!!! I RECORDED THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND WILL TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER!!!


- You could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by having looked here before you bought and found that the Wi-Fi capability is NOT built into the device but apparently will require some sort of add-on. I'm guessing that it will require the use of some sort of Wi-Fi device that would connect via the MJ+' new Secure Digital interface slot.


You`re right. I just registered here today and will probabbly try to register in more forums so that others are not fooled by all that False advertisment on the box. Nowhere on their website nor on the internet does it state what is needed or how that WiFi works, not even their "Tech Support".


As I posted earlier in this thread:
Obviously MagicJack smoke & mirrors in the "air"!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doonboggle
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Confused............ Reply with quote

There's so many postings here that I cannot get a grasp on what the main issue is. Would appreciate it simply put, rather than the going back and forth about other issues ... please .... from a senior fellow.

We have MJ PLUS for about a year now, and very happy; 2.oo+- per month sure beats TimeWarner 29.00 per month.

Got an email today from them ... I presume ... having to do with a new update that offers louder voice sound ... which I need.

Any idea if it is part of what this discussion is about .... and exactly what is it???

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 498
Location: Southwest Florida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DOONBOGGLE" - If I recall, the email and sales pitch says that it supposedly offers improved audio quality and does NOT specifically state that it is "louder" than your current MJ+. A few folks who have been using the original MJ+ and have tried out the new one have stated that they detect NO increase in volume. So if you are looking specifically for increased volume, the new MJ+ apparently doesn't provide it and so you'll have to focus on either getting a *phone* that is louder than the one you are currently using or a separate phone amplifier.
_________________
Using a "standard" magicJack, an "original" magicJack Plus, and the magicJack iOS app on an iPod Touch and iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doonboggle
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Was what I thought ..... and have already changed phones.
Thanks again.



SteveHC wrote:
"DOONBOGGLE" - If I recall, the email and sales pitch says that it supposedly offers improved audio quality and does NOT specifically state that it is "louder" than your current MJ+. A few folks who have been using the original MJ+ and have tried out the new one have stated that they detect NO increase in volume. So if you are looking specifically for increased volume, the new MJ+ apparently doesn't provide it and so you'll have to focus on either getting a *phone* that is louder than the one you are currently using or a separate phone amplifier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I learned:
  1. You must use the link from the email you received for it to be $30. Within 48 hours.
  2. You buy the new device for $30. It replaces your existing device and gives you six months to replace the six months of existing service still on your old device.
  3. Your old device becomes a paperweight.
  4. The new device will work exactly like the old device until the new firmware comes out.
  5. The new firmware will allow the device to use the internet capacity of your home wifi, your ethernet as usual and your G4 phone internet capability through either USB or SDIO port - not sure which, maybe either.
  6. What you get is a replacement of your existing device for $30. You don't get six additional months of service - you get six replacement months for those you lose when your existing device becomes useless.
  7. magicJack rep "Drew" emphatically suggests they will not be offering a competing G4 or G3 or other competing internet service, even though he plainly used language during the chat that suggests they will.
  8. You don't have to buy the new device. You can stay with your old device if you're fine using it.
  9. Your new device will behave the same way you use your current device until some time before the end of this year. The device will likely be upgraded by firmware to be able to do the new things.

View the whole mj rep conversation here.
_________________
MJCheck - http://mjcheck.low.li


Last edited by greenman on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 498
Location: Southwest Florida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"greenman" - Precisely. But do not count on MJ providing any firmware/feature upgrade(s) by whatever date or timeframe they tell you - the company is NOTORIOUS for *never* adhering to their own stated deadlines in that regard.
_________________
Using a "standard" magicJack, an "original" magicJack Plus, and the magicJack iOS app on an iPod Touch and iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Ok, let's get real.

OBI 100 or 110 at Amazon. Includes a way to plug in your current magic jack line so all numbers can ring on the same phone, giving you an easy way to utilize your magicjack until that old junker expires or breaks down like mine did.

New Obi 100 for only 39 plus free shipping= (one free googleVoice line).
New Obi 110 for only 49 plus free shipping= (two free googleVoice lines).

OR the new 2014 magicjack for $38.90 (29.95 PLUS 8.95 shipping)
THEN pay jack a bunch more after 6 months! NO WAY! : )
NOTE: In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months- so who knows how much your new jack servie is gonna cost you the coming years???

You do the math people. It's a no brainier.

Not only that, google has been generous enough to offer their free service for several years now, and it's guaranteed free until at least the end of each year, and believe me they can afford to keep it going for many years to come- (mainly because they do charge a penny a minute for overseas calls).

GoogleVoice service is TOP NOTCH!. Way better magic jack could ever dream of in my experience. EXTREMELY RELIABLE- I no longer get dropped calls or annoying echos. (There is a call limit of 90 minutes I think, but it rarely comes into play, just redial or get off the phone at that point!) Every feature you can possibly imagine, even unlimited texting straight from your computer keyboard and word translated (readable and voicemail), phone messages straight to your gmail inbox.

If you want free wi-fi magicjack on your cellphone, use the magicapp for your iphone or android currently only $10 bucks a year- that's a great deal wherever you have wi-fi. Other than than, forget it.

If you can't live without your existing jack number, (I love having a new number that call spammers don't know), then you can always first transfer your jack number to a cell service and then to google. It will cost you a bit of hassle to do that, but it's well worth it if you can't live without your existing number.

You are now set for many years to come! Absolute best bang for buck in my opinion, what else can I say! : )

(Check your free gmail /googleVoice account for availability of local numbers). (Note: no 911, use your cell for emergency). Easy peasy!

Enjoy Google Voice and OBi Talk! YEEHAW!

Best to all, and good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 498
Location: Southwest Florida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Jacked_Up wrote:
...In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months-[/b] so who knows how much your new jack service is gonna cost you the coming years???


- ???

They've made it pretty clear that price remains at $20/year for a 5-year subscription and $30/year for a 1-year subscription.
_________________
Using a "standard" magicJack, an "original" magicJack Plus, and the magicJack iOS app on an iPod Touch and iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:


They've made it pretty clear that price remains at $20/year for a 5-year subscription and $30/year for a 1-year subscription.


Thanks Steve, not a word is stated in the email I received so thanks for confirming that. When I started out with jack it was $20 a year, and now it's $30, so they are known for raising prices at will.

They also cut off call forwarding for me without notice when they stated it was a "feature", and tech support lied about it continuously, saying it was unavailable at the moment, they were working to get it back, etc. The usual baloney.. actually the only feature I really used, so you see where I am coming from.

Forward thinking, my friend, forward thinking. New pricing is bound to roll in sooner or later, that much you can be certain about.

I assume you are affiliated?... perhaps wanting to keep the business alive when it's not such a great choice anymore. Why else would your signature tout using a "standard magic jack" in this day and age?

But I could be wrong, forgive me if that's the case..just my humble opinion. These things were great in their day for saving money, no question.

The new "plus" version doesn't seem very reliable, the one I got didn't last very long, only a year or so.. so again you have to pay shipping and replacement fees when they fail unexpectedly.

Perhaps they forged the way, but competition has beat them out, many other better choices these days, not just the one I mention.

Best to you..and say hello to Mr. Carlo and his cute dogs if you will. : )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Stop confusing people. Google Voice has NOTHING to do with OBI. Google Voice is a FREE service available from Google (in the US). It's a great service and an unbelievable value (free) - but has nothing whatsoever to do with OBI.

The FACT is that while the OBI products may serve some people's needs well, it is NOTHING like MagicJack. The OBI products REQUIRE that you subscribe to another company's products to get a phone number and service. That's fine for the technically adept and for geekers. It's NOT fine for the average non-techy person who wants to plug something into their router and have telephone service.

THAT is what Magic Jack does: Plug & Play - one-stop service.

The Google Voice system is terrific (and free), but the non-technically adept user needs to beware that you must be comfortable at setting up, and managing the system via the Google Voice web site in order to use all of it's advanced features. It's not something most seniors will be comfortable doing (or even able to do without the help of a teenager).

In other words - the Magic Jack works 'straight-out-of-the-box'. Nothing additional needed. AND it too, like OBI, can be used with the free Google Voice service. (I have two of my Magic Numbers forwarded to Google Voice numbers).

Anyone using a VoIp system as a home phone needs to be aware that the OBI boxes do not support e911 emergency services - and neither does Google Voice. Magic Jack DOES support e911.

OBI boxes REQUIRE the use of a third-party service for use with a telephone number - either a SIP account or a Google Voice account. While the Google Voice system is currently free in the US, Google announced that it may begin charging for the service in the future. Most reliable SIP services already charge.



Jacked_Up wrote:
Ok, let's get real.

OBI 100 or 110 at Amazon. Includes a way to plug in your current magic jack line so all numbers can ring on the same phone, giving you an easy way to utilize your magicjack until that old junker expires or breaks down like mine did.

New Obi 100 for only 39 plus free shipping= (one free googleVoice line).
New Obi 110 for only 49 plus free shipping= (two free googleVoice lines).

OR the new 2014 magicjack for $38.90 (29.95 PLUS 8.95 shipping)
THEN pay jack a bunch more after 6 months! NO WAY! : )
NOTE: In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months- so who knows how much your new jack servie is gonna cost you the coming years???

You do the math people. It's a no brainier.

Not only that, google has been generous enough to offer their free service for several years now, and it's guaranteed free until at least the end of each year, and believe me they can afford to keep it going for many years to come- (mainly because they do charge a penny a minute for overseas calls).

GoogleVoice service is TOP NOTCH!. Way better magic jack could ever dream of in my experience. EXTREMELY RELIABLE- I no longer get dropped calls or annoying echos. (There is a call limit of 90 minutes I think, but it rarely comes into play, just redial or get off the phone at that point!) Every feature you can possibly imagine, even unlimited texting straight from your computer keyboard and word translated (readable and voicemail), phone messages straight to your gmail inbox.

If you want free wi-fi magicjack on your cellphone, use the magicapp for your iphone or android currently only $10 bucks a year- that's a great deal wherever you have wi-fi. Other than than, forget it.

If you can't live without your existing jack number, (I love having a new number that call spammers don't know), then you can always first transfer your jack number to a cell service and then to google. It will cost you a bit of hassle to do that, but it's well worth it if you can't live without your existing number.

You are now set for many years to come! Absolute best bang for buck in my opinion, what else can I say! : )

(Check your free gmail /googleVoice account for availability of local numbers). (Note: no 911, use your cell for emergency). Easy peasy!

Enjoy Google Voice and OBi Talk! YEEHAW!

Best to all, and good luck.

_________________
- michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused............ Reply with quote

Doonboggle: see this thread for info on volume: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/low-volume-problem-solved-t6997.html

As far as the thread here, it is *mostly* about the features of the 2014 MJ+... which adds WiFi ABILITY by adding a new SDIO port on the Magic Jack.

What that means is that with the 2014 version, you can buy an SDIO card (Best Buy, eBay, etc) and you will then be able to use WiFi to connect the new 2014 Magic Jack to your own wireless router or computer instead of using a cable. It's not a revolution - it's an evolution, adding wireless convenience so that you don't have to connect to your router (or computer) via a cable.

The technology used is exactly the same technology as cameras now use to connect via WiFi. On the hardware side, it's just like using an 'EyeFi' card on a camera that doesn't have built-in wifi.

Hope that helps.


doonboggle wrote:
There's so many postings here that I cannot get a grasp on what the main issue is. Would appreciate it simply put, rather than the going back and forth about other issues ... please .... from a senior fellow.

We have MJ PLUS for about a year now, and very happy; 2.oo+- per month sure beats TimeWarner 29.00 per month.

Got an email today from them ... I presume ... having to do with a new update that offers louder voice sound ... which I need.

Any idea if it is part of what this discussion is about .... and exactly what is it???

Thanks

_________________
- michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: SDIO Card - passing the buck Reply with quote

The fact that SDIO cards are small, and that there is enough room for a slot for the same makes me think about design and planning by YMax:

YMax didn't want to include wifi in the package directly. The magicJack plus is already small. The additional expense and size needed for decent wifi on board might also warrant an external antenna that would increase the package size and customer cost, while not significantly increasing the overall reliability of wifi. When wifi doesn't work, for any reason including poor understanding by the customer, the package will be more likely to be returned. When wifi is outside the purview of the magicJack plus and passed to the SDIO card maker, magicJack can simply say, "Oh, well. You bought an inferior SDIO wifi card. It's not our fault your card isn't working with our SDIO-compliant device."

Additionally, less-expensive SDIO cards don't have very good range. The more expensive ones might have better range, but now you're paying as much if not more for the SDIO card as you are for your mJ+ phone service.

SDIO might be reasonable if you're traveling, you need a desk-style phone and you want to connect your desk-style phone to a 4G mifi. (Chat support suggests not using 3G.) So now you're spending extra for a separate 4G plan as well. This would be a great way to borrow an office for an hour to set up an identity scam inside an existing brick and mortar business, sort of like Walter Matthau in the 1963 film Charade. The question arises: for the same amount of money, why not just buy a cell phone?

This will not work with existing cafe hotspots that need to have you accept their policy through a standard browser before you can access any other available wifi services. Some hotspots already block the mJ+ ports.

It's great that sound and connection are probably better on the 2014 device. Most people are probably not going to buy the SDIO card. There really should be on-board wifi - not an external card. Ymax probably couldn't offer the product for its current price point with on-board wifi.
_________________
MJCheck - http://mjcheck.low.li
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB Turbo Extended Edition © 2013, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.