magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Windows 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bossypants
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Magic Jack does not work with Windows 8
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: MagicJack DOES work in Windows 8 Reply with quote

MJ does work in Windows 8, but its SETUP routines to automatically configure itself to display properly in this new OS's desktop and Start Page has apparently not yet been developed by the company. But there IS a way to accomplish this *manually*. I will attempt to detail the procedure here in a subsequent post ASAP.
Kenneth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack DOES work in Windows 8 Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
MJ does work in Windows 8, but its SETUP routines to automatically configure itself to display properly in this new OS's desktop and Start Page has apparently not yet been developed by the company. But there IS a way to accomplish this *manually*. I will attempt to detail the procedure here in a subsequent post ASAP.
Please do.

I've got it working in W8. The problem is that it tries launch automatically when Windows boots but error messages are displayed. After closing them out I have to manually launch MJ as administrator and the Windows sound applet launches at the same time for some reason.

Would like to get back to it just launching correctly on booting like W7 did.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install MagicJack on a Windows 8 pc:

Log in as an administrator (if you're not already so logged in) and make sure your PC is connected to the Internet.

Temporarily turn off any anti-virus programs running as well as Windows Firewall (turn them back on after you're all done).

Go to Desktop.

Plug your MJ device directly into a USB port (no USB hib or whatever).

Wait for a FULL 5 minutes for all files to download and install.

(I think at some point Windows asked me which audio device I wanted the app to be associated with - I honestly don't remember which one I selected or even what the choices were... this may depend on your specific hardware configuration for all I know).

After 5 full minutes, go down to the Taskbar, open up the "Libraries" folder, go up to "Folder options," click on View Hidden Files.

Go to drive C, then go to Users, Then into your account name's folder, then into the Appdata folder, then into the Roaming folder, and then into the "mjusbsp" folder. Right-click on "magicjack.exe" and pin it to start menu and it will now be on Windows 8's new "Metro" Start page. Double-click on the .exe file to make sure it starts up & loads your contacts etc.

You *should* see a MagicJack shortcut on Desktop and could always use it to start the program.

To *ensure* that MagicJack will automatically start up whenever you start up your pc, you want to make sure that a magicjack.exe shortcut is in the correct Startup folder. You should be able to do this one of two ways:

a) Do the usual CTRL-ALT-DEL routine and select the Task Manager; from there you should be able to manage your startup items and be sure you include the magicjack.exe file if it's not already there. OR

b) Go back into your User account folder, open up the Appdata folder, open up the Microsoft folder, open up the Windows folder, open the Start Menu folder, open the Programs folder, then open the Startup folder - that's where you'd want to put the magicjack.exe shortcut IF MJ does not already automatically start up when you boot up your pc while the MJ device is plugged into it. But this should NOT be necessary - if you go into the Task Manager, select Startup, and see something like "cdloader2" or "magicjack (cdloader2)" then you should NOT need to go to this trouble.

This is all to the best of my recollection.

Keep in mind that when you boot up your Windows 8 PC - even with the MJ device plugged directly into a USB port while doing so - the MJ software will take a little longer to load up and run than it used to under Windows 7 (or whatever) because the new "Metro" Start screen is running (you might be able to speed it up a bit by switching to Desktop) - so wait 5 mins or so. You should be able to find out the status of the load by switching to Desktop.

ALSO keep in mind that in Windows 8, Windows Firewall is designed to specifically block MagicJack from installing and/or operating on a "public" network. But it's possible that even if you install it on your home network, even with the Firewall turned off, that you'll see a prompt warning you about this and asking you if you still want to proceed - just click indicating that you do. But when on a TRULY public network, you use MJ at your own risk and NEVER divulge any private financial or ID info over a MJ call when the call is via MJ on a public Wi-Fi network.

P.S. I have verified for myself that this works using a "standard" MJ device, but I understand that the same holds true regarding a MJ+.
Kenneth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details. My only issue now is to get it to autolaunch on Windows boot. Task manager show it enabled and I've got it in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

but I still have to launch it manually.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to windows 8 today, plugged in my USB and the softphone automatically installed. It automatically displayed the "one minute of your time is a lifetime of savings," or something like that. I tested out making a couple of phone calls and it works fine as usual.
AlanM
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: MJ works with Win 8 Reply with quote

MJ works with Windows 8. Tech support downloaded upgraded software. I had to unplug connection then reconnect. Wow, it went smoothly, glad I didn't pay attention to website FAQ. Website still does not list support for Windows 8!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: