magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Magic Jack Sucks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMB145
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMB145 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.

Did you have to re-register and buy another year's worth of service before it came back to life???

Please provide full details about the resurrection process. My experience with 'vintage' MJ dongles which were out of service for years is quite different than what you have described.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April 2008) for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

Last edited by Darkman90808 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April '0Cool for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

I was hoping for response from OP.......

Have 3 purchased in June-July 2007 which are among first units sold. Invoice shows customer # 00073.
These have been collecting dust almost 2 years and I wonder if
kwiggs66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Love my MJ Reply with quote

I dont know about all the complainers on this forum, but I absolutely love my MJ. I dont have any ongoing quality issues with it. Occasionally I dial the number and dont get a connection and do have to redial but other than that, it works almost flawlessly and for $20.00 a year I have no complaints. My wife did have a lot of complaints at first, but once I showed the the difference between our landline phone bill and the MJ "phone bill" she loves it too. If you think about it this way, my landline phone bill was costing me about $60-70 a month. For one of those months I could get FIVE years on my MJ. Now I dont have to feel raped by the phone company and still have a pretty darn good quality phone. Since most people have cell phones these days anyway, why pay the local phone company prices when you dont have to?? Another comment I wanted to make is this. This Forum is great! Lots of Great info, and while I am not the quickest browser out there ( I can spend hours looking for some help I need) it is actually cheaper than the MJ per year (FREE) and so it is even BETTER than the MJ! Thanks to all the wonderful peeps on this forum, thanks for your hard work writing docs to help dummies like me make my MJ work even better! Love to you all...and Happy Holidays!
n30fr05t
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up for those people that think it's the computer or ISP or the way the wind is blowing.. MagicJack DOES in fact suck. I am in India from the same location, same computer, same time I tired magicjack in headset mode and skpye out. Magicjack was awful. When I used Skype out to dail US numbers, people couldn't tell that I was on the other side of the planet. So, with all things being the same, magicjack is crap and skype works excellent. To go further, skype works better than the BSNL landline, ooma, and my vodaphone India cellphone.
bigbearcards
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: MJ DOES work good Reply with quote

I have been having problems since the latest "upgrade" HOWEVER, MJ DOES work, and it DOES work well. I have used it on several computers in different locations, and it almost always works VERY well. After over 20 months of continuous use, I personally think it is the best deal for the money I have ever seen.

In these days of "if it seems too good to be true it usually is" I think MJ is the exception.

Though I haven't been a user on this forum very long, and have only read a few dozen posts, I think I can offer one bit of advise from 20 months of good MJ service - if you have many windows up on your computer and not much memory, you WILL get somewhat poor service. If people are complaining that your voice is breaking up , close some windows and your call quality will improve. If you always seem to get complaints that your voice is breaking up, then add more ram to your computer. You need a minimum of 2 Gigs of ram, and 4 or more is better. Ram is cheap and it will improve your computer experience as well as your MJ experience.
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Jack does in fact work and work well. I can't think of any other item I've bought that has saved me as much money as this little jewel has. So far, I've been free from my $70.00 - $78.00 per month phone bill for almost 10 months.

That's about $700.00 I've saved for an investment of about $100.00. (The original $40.00 + $5.00 for the extra warranty + a powered USB Hub + tax + one year renewal. The computer I use was already being run 24/7, so only a trifle in energy costs.)

Sure, there have been a couple of hiccups along the way and some inconvenience when it wasn't working perfectly. Those problems were solved using info from the users here on this forum. Every month nets me more savings and it's paid up for another 14 months.

While there are features that I'd like to add, I can't complain for such a low price.

It's not for everyone. I'd think that the happiest user is the tinkerer that can accept the "some assembly required" aspect of ownership. Personally, I like tweaking on stuff a little here and there. When it's fixed, there's a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction thrown in.

So go ahead. Tweak it a little. Search these forums, make some acquaintances and take the advice you glean. Overcome the little problems and save a bundle of money.
joannem
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: My Canadian MJ Reply with quote

I have heard the odd person mention an echo on the phone, and with some people, I sense a delay, but I can hear them perfectly. Sometimes the phone cuts in and out. There is no rhyme or reason to it. But, in general, after a living hell VOIP experience with Primus, I am pretty dang tickled pink with my magicjack. I call the US and Canada every day and nooo problemo. Very Happy
Jed54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has his own shared, opinion... we don't need an ombudsman.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: $0.08 Per Day Reply with quote

The way I see it Magic Jack costs me 8 cents a day. I can live with little glitches here and there. My only glitch with Magic Jack is sometimes incoming calls get a fast busy signal and callers have to try 2 or 3 times before they get through. But if its a major emergency we have 2 cell phones in the house.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

I have had MJ for only a few weeks now and have had no issues with it. With all the negative reviews on the net, I am kind of waiting for the problems to show up and rain on my parade. No problems have shown up and everyone I talk to can't tell that I am not on a regular phone. My kids can even be online using xbox and I can be downloading utorrents and I still have good quality audio. My $200 computer that I bought refurbished is over six years old too. I canceled my long distance plan that only gave me unlimited long distance in Canada so that saves me about $130/year. The next step will be canceling my home phone and going with a dry loop system for about $7.00/month. That will save me over 200/year. The computer is on 24/7 anyway because it is also my server for SageTV (PVR). So far, and I say so far because I still think it is too good to be true, I am a happy MJ customer.

I hope MJ is around for a long time.
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
The next step will be canceling my home phone ...

I hope MJ is around for a long time.

Glad you are liking the MJ. Have had mine going on 10 months with no problems. Dropped landline back in July. I have never looked back.

Been using Nettalk as well but only for one month. No problems with it either.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get a pleasant surprise when you try to cancel your home phone with Bell Canada. I called just to ask about cancelling and they went into panic mode and discounted my phone, internet and satellite TV so much it worked out to be cheaper to keep it.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I am not sure I would keep Bell no matter how much they reduce their bill. I am a little upset that I will have to pay them $7 per month for a dry loop so that I can keep my internet service with Acanac. Bell has been ripping my mother and father in-law off for so many years I have been waiting for the day to say good bye to them. I looked at their bill one day and couldn't believe what they were paying. I called Bell to ask what all the extra charges were. The services that were added to their bill six years ago were never even used once. They would not return the money, even though I proved that they didn't order the services. Remember when they use to add "free" services for a month and then you had to call them to cancel them if you didn't want them. My mother and father in-law do not speak English so they didn't know why the bills were higher. So to keep on topic here, I don't think Magicjack sucks, I think the phone companies suck.
paulcf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it within their 30 day guarantee and get your money back.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

paulcf wrote:
I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.

The operational complaints you allude to speak to internet connectivity issues which will have a major impact on ANY VOIP service you may engage Look in this forum for links to VOIP quality tests that will give you an idea if your underlying internet service is stable enough to handle VOIP of any flavor.
Look before you leap and apply due diligence before you come here to b!tch.
rusureuwant2know
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic wrote:
No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.

It's not BS when you are getting a message that says they have no agreement with the phone company in that area. They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusureuwant2know wrote:
They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.

They are. It's now in the TOS and their FAQ that:

"Some restrictions in cost prohibitive areas may apply."

It's pretty easy to find in the TOS under "Outgoing Calls". Not so easy to find in the FAQ, but type in "call won't complete" in the search, and the first FAQ has it in there.

Of course "some restrictions" is pretty vague, but could certainly lead one to do more inquiries if you were so inclined to read the TOS in the first place, which most of us aren't.
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we all know the magicjack not perfect but for 20.00 a year it work good for most of us for me as well infarct better then skyp i have had way more trouble with skyp
so i love my magicjack Smile
netTALK duo rocks
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Yes mj does suck Reply with quote

Delavan wrote:
If you don't like it, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Jeez, we're talking $20 (or less) per YEAR for unlimited phone calls! MagicJack works just fine for many users, myself included, and we're very happy with it. Sure we've had problems at one time or another, but it works flawlessly for me. You can't please all of the people all of the time and some of the people none of the time.

Why would anyone use something like magicJack that requires your computer be online running at all times? Whats it cost to keep your pc (with at least a 200 watt power supply, but could be a lot bigger) running, day and night. Believe me their are a lot of computer geeks that have good systems and know computers, but think like I do that magicjack sucks. You never hear how much the lite bill goes up on these sites, because a lot of people (just like you) love to grab their ankles and take a few for the mj team, so enjoy
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yes mj does suck Reply with quote

netTALK duo rocks wrote:

Why would anyone use something like magicJack that requires your computer be online running at all times? Whats it cost to keep your pc (with at least a 200 watt power supply, but could be a lot bigger) running, day and night. Believe me their are a lot of computer geeks that have good systems and know computers, but think like I do that magicjack sucks. You never hear how much the lite bill goes up on these sites, because a lot of people (just like you) love to grab their ankles and take a few for the mj team, so enjoy

Well perhaps they are like me and their "lite" bill doesn't increase a penny because of MagicJack. For at least the last 5 years I have kept my computer running all day. In the almost 2 years since I've had MJ when I turn my computer off at night I just forward my calls to my cell. Thus no increase in my "light" bill.

I'm only a semi computer geek with a decent understanding of computers, and with a real cheap Acer system, who somehow has managed to get my MagicJack working just fine without any ankle grabbing involved. Sorry you and your fellow computer geeks with your good systems and computer knowledge couldn't apparently get MJ to work good and think it sucks.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Nailgunner, that cute little blue LED has to be costing you SOMEthing. Wink
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Come on, Nailgunner, that cute little blue LED has to be costing you SOMEthing. Wink

One would think so, but it's actually just the opposite. A few months ago I downloaded a program that measures the electric use of your computer. So I ran it one week with the MagicJack plugged in. And then ran it the next week with the MagicJack unplugged, of course I had to forward my calls for the whole week to my cell, but my used up plan minutes was well worth the experiment.

At the end of the two weeks I compared the 2 numbers and I actually used LESS electricity with the MJ plugged in than with it unplugged. Seeing as how I tried to do the exact same computer activities for the 2 weeks at exactly the same time of day, I came to the only conclusion possible. The MJ must be some kind of a "perpetual motion" device that actually pays you to use it. I give MJ permission to use my endorsement in any future advertising, for a small fee.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we know why it's "Magic" Jack. That would certainly be a good marketing point. You are wise to charge a licensing fee for your idea. Wink
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Now we know why it's "Magic" Jack. That would certainly be a good marketing point. You are wise to charge a licensing fee for your idea. Wink

I was thinking of the fee being a new Plus or two, but I think I'm going to have to insist on cash at this point. Cool
rmeys
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am just wondering why is magic jack so great if you cannot call all numbers like vonage extension number 213 289 0649 if it could before? and why i can call that number from any phone except magic jack?? did you guys block it because you dont want people to save more money?? that is where it is all about right?? I love vonage and i love magic jack but sneaky magic jack blocks phone numbers...
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i love magic jack but sneaky magic jack blocks phone numbers...

I don't know all the particulars but I think you might find some information if you do a search on termination fees.

I've only had this happen maybe once or twice with Ooma/Skype/Google Voice when calling an 800# for a conference call.

Here's a thread on the Google Voice Support forum you may find enlightening:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=7fd24f8e03c376d2
C&DJay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Let's be realistic and civil! Reply with quote

MJ works for SOME people....NOT ALL! That's just the plain truth!
I'm certain everyone (even dyed-in-the-wool MJ suporters) agrees that MJ's CS is garbage. (one CSR even tried to have me make changes to my PC THAT WOULD HAVE PERMENENTLY DISABLED MY INTERNET CONNECTION!) How's that for shutting me up?!?!?!
But for those who are convinced that MJ is NEVER at fault for connection issues: Stop saying that someone has issues because their PC is a POS or their ISP is not up to snuff! You cannot possibly know what kind of equipment they are running, and the truth is MJ will run on some old hardware that you would not even use for e-mail! You do not need the latest and greatest gaming rig to run MJ. In fact, it is best to find some old PC you left in the closet and dedicate it to MJ service, it will probably run fine.

That being said, the OTHER truth is that MJ DOES NOT have agreements with ALL telcos. That is why I will not and cannot use MJ! Two of the telcos I MUST call into DO NOT! This was verified by a call to the telco. (One even stated they will NEVER have an agreement wth MJ!) However, any complaint to MJ will never inform you of that fact!
So, rusureuwant2know and pulcf...you are both correct! MJ should specifically state what areas they do not cover, not some vapous statement that "some restrictions apply" MJ KNOWS what telcos do not accept them and should publish that info in the spirit of honesty, but we all know how far honesty gets you in today's business world!

Bottom line...if MJ works for you GREAT! But if it doesn't and you post a complaint here.....you should not have to tolerate being told your hardware, ISP, or intelligence is junk! Simply understand that it isn't your cup of tea and perhaps try Vonage, Ooma, NetTalk, etc.

And other posters.....BE CIVIL!! And try to HELP...not belittle!
UsernameJackOff
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: I got even... Reply with quote

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-got-even-with-magic-jack-here-s-how-you-can-too-t12154.html

WASTE THEIR TIME if you have nothing better to do. Make it a hobby! It's fun!!!

Sooner or later Dan Borislow (the owner) will wake up and stop his nickel and dime bull$4it and screwing people who want a better deal. In the meantime, if you have a gripe with Magic Jack (like I did) I suggest you waste their time with a Magic Jack employee in chat (especially since they're too cheap to use their own service to provide call in live operator support). Just knowing you're screwing THEM out of employee TIME for MORE than they owe you feels darn good. Try it and see if you can't get on their list of idiots.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: I got even... Reply with quote

UsernameJackOff wrote:
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-got-even-with-magic-jack-here-s-how-you-can-too-t12154.html

Try it and see if you can't get on their list of idiots.

You made it to the top of mine, in record time!!!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha good one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Ha good one.

Sincere and heartfelt always appeal to your sense of humor, sophomoric though it be!!

Was just looking at my sig and realized I'm coming up on 5 years of being a MJ abuser. Lord only knows how many minutes I have run over MJ trunks.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 years for me this Aug, but I will not be renewing this year. It will feel weird not having my MJ number, but it is only being fowarded to my OBi anyway. My MJ dongle has been "in the closet" ( sophomoric humor Smile for a year now.
MJ at $20 as a backup was worth it, but $30 isnt for me right now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is 3 1/2 years now but definitely time to exit.
Rickiev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the orginal USB MJ for 4 years and now the Plus for 1 year and I must say, I never had a problem. The USB is connected and it would update on its own. The Plus, I could connect to the computer every 2 month in case theres any updates and back to the a/c outlet. Awesome device. Guess I'm one of the few lucky ones...
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickiev wrote:
... Guess I'm one of the few lucky ones...

- Actually, the *overwhelming* majority of MJ users - esp. MJ+ users - have no serious problems with it and when someone does have problems they're *usually* related to strange router or home LAN-related idiosyncrasies, incorrect hook-up to whole-house telephone wiring, other telephone companies not correctly identifying or routing calls correctly, etc. Occasionally - very rarely - MJ & YMAX make system upgrades at their end and in the process screw up individual account settings, but those are easily corrected by a MJ customer service rep resetting the affected account's settings at their end.
Rickiev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, thats why I use the Apple Extreme router. Not crazy about the others. you get what you pay for.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't like about Apple's routers is that they offer very little by way of user configuration settings as compared to other brands - they don't even offer a user-configurable QoS. But then again, for most people in most set-ups QoS is pretty useless, and most people tend to go overboard with fiddling around with their router's settings and wind up screwing it up in the process... Apple in general tries to protect its consumers from themselves by limiting consumer access to settings that are absolutely critical to its products' proper functioning.
Rickiev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Apple is limited with user access but they are good. I was able to find the Mac address to the mj plus and assign it, it's own ip number and include it with my wifi setup at home and it was simple.

Guess I'm an Mac nut but they work well.
Rad43
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Actual Chat Transcript. My Number Held Hostage for Ransom. Reply with quote

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Adam'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554082579354X
Adam: Hello, how may I help you?
Tom Holderbach: I ordered Magic Jack on the following order number TS21588556 and had my number ported from Brighthouse. The Magic Jack failed to work properly (would not ring for incoming calls) and I spent over 4 hours working with you call center reps and I did everything properly and no one including a supervisor could get it to work. I got a return authorization and sent the product back and switched to Vonage. I need a full refund for all charges to my Credit card and my number ported to Vonage for Free (apparently you want $30. to Port my number which is Illegal under FCC Federal Law). Failure to resolve this wil result in a formal dispute for the charges to my Credit Card Compant since your Product was defective. A Formal Complaint letter about your Fruadulen Consumer Practices to the FCC. And I will personally Discourage everyone I come accross in any internet forum or in person to NEVER use Magic Jack as it is a patent rip-off and doens't work and they keep your money. Hopefulle we can resolve this today so I do not have to go through those legnths.
Adam: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Adam: As I can see here, you are already refunded on your device.
Adam: Unfortunately, you need to pay $30 to port out your number.
Tom Holderbach: That is Illegal.
Adam: Unfortunately, it is our system that is asking for the charge Tom.
Adam: You do need to pay $30 to port out your phone number.
Tom Holderbach: You need to port my number if I request it in the Specified waiting period. That is FCC Rules. I don't care that your company has a policy that lets you rip off consumers.
Adam: I believe I have provided all the necessary information that you need. I will end this chat now. If you have any other concern, please don't hesitate to chat us back. Thank you.
Adam:
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
You are not currently in a chat session.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Marybeth'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554082582540X
Marybeth: Hello, how may I help you?
Tom Holderbach: I need to access my Voicemail messages via phone. How do I do that
Marybeth: Just need to dial your 10 digit phone number Tom
Tom Holderbach: It's busy when I do that.
Marybeth: May I know if it is the telephone that is connected to your mj device you are using ?
Tom Holderbach: It says that the "voice mailbox has not been set up yet"
Marybeth: Okay , may I have your mj phone number for me to check
Tom Holderbach: (407) 382-0831
Marybeth: Thanks
Marybeth: Please wait while I check that for you
Tom Holderbach: I keep getting e-mail notifications of voicemeail messages left but I cannot access them.
Marybeth: Checking
Tom Holderbach: Hello?
Marybeth: One moment please...
Marybeth: Please plug your mj plus device on your computer now Tom
Tom Holderbach: I don't have it. The Magic Jack failed to work properly (would not ring for incoming calls) and I spent over 4 hours working with your call center reps and I did everything properly and no one, including a supervisor could get it to work. I got a return authorization and sent the product back and switched to Vonage. Now Magic Jack refuses to Port my Number to Vonage unless I pay a Ransom of another $30. after YOUR Product failed to work. In the meantime, calls are coming in to that number and I cannot chack the messages. I am still within my 30 day FREE Trial. what do I do?
Marybeth: may I have the order number for me to check it out Tom
Tom Holderbach: TS21588556
Marybeth: Thanks
Marybeth: Please wait while I check that for you
Marybeth: Thanks for waiting Tom
Marybeth: As I checked, you already have fill up for an Rma with this Order Number: TS21588556
Marybeth: correct Tom ?
Tom Holderbach: Yes
Tom Holderbach: It has been returned already.
Tom Holderbach: How do I check my messages?
Marybeth: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Marybeth: To check your messages all you have to do is to dial your 10 digit phone number tom
Tom Holderbach: I just did. It says "I'm sorry, but the person you called has a Voice Mailbox that has not been set up yet. Goodbye." Then hangs up. what do I do now?
Marybeth: Thank you for waiting Tom ,I would suggests you to check your email for the voicemail
Tom Holderbach: I do and I will not play the wav. file. Now what do I do?
Marybeth: May I know what is the player you are using Tom ?
Tom Holderbach: the same one I used when my account was acctive and it worked
Tom Holderbach: active*
Tom Holderbach: so why wouldn't the same one work from just a few days ago?
Tom Holderbach: it is completely updated
Tom Holderbach: ever since I sent in my equipment and cancelled, I can not get my voicemails and or recieve any calls
Tom Holderbach: my girlfriend has applied for several jobs, my email says I have voicemails
Marybeth: May I know if you hear any error message when you play it ?
Tom Holderbach: so now she is losing a chance at a job and income because, we can not access the voicemails
Tom Holderbach: there is no error message
Marybeth: Okay
Marybeth: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Tom Holderbach: NO
Tom Holderbach: i want a supervisor now
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Marykate'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554082582540X
Tom Holderbach: Marybeth: Hello, how may I help you? Tom Holderbach: I need to access my Voicemail messages via phone. How do I do that Marybeth: Just need to dial your 10 digit phone number Tom Tom Holderbach: It's busy when I do that. Marybeth: May I know if it is the telephone that is connected to your mj device you are using ? Tom Holderbach: It says that the "voice mailbox has not been set up yet" Marybeth: Okay , may I have your mj phone number for me to check Tom Holderbach: (407) 382-0831 Marybeth: Thanks Marybeth: Please wait while I check that for you Tom Holderbach: I keep getting e-mail notifications of voicemeail messages left but I cannot access them. Marybeth: Checking Tom Holderbach: Hello? Marybeth: One moment please... Marybeth: Please plug your mj plus device on your computer now Tom Tom Holderbach: I don't have it. The Magic Jack failed to work properly (would not ring for incoming calls) and I spent over 4 hours working with your call center reps and I did everything properly and no one, including a supervisor could get it to work. I got a return authorization and sent the product back and switched to Vonage. Now Magic Jack refuses to Port my Number to Vonage unless I pay a Ransom of another $30. after YOUR Product failed to work. In the meantime, calls are coming in to that number and I cannot chack the messages. I am still within my 30 day FREE Trial. what do I do? Marybeth: may I have the order number for me to check it out Tom Tom Holderbach: TS21588556 Marybeth: Thanks Marybeth: Please wait while I check that for you Marybeth: Thanks for waiting Tom Marybeth: As I checked, you already have fill up for an Rma with this Order Number: TS21588556 Marybeth: correct Tom ? Tom Holderbach: Yes Tom Holderbach: It has been returned already. Tom Holderbach: How do I check my messages? Marybeth: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you. Marybeth: To check your messages all you have to do is to dial your 10 digit phone number tom Tom Holderbach: I just did. It says "I'm sorry, but the person you called has a Voice Mailbox that has not been set up yet. Goodbye." Then hangs up. what do I do now? Marybeth: Thank you for waiting Tom ,I would suggests you to check your email for the voicemail Tom Holderbach: I do and I will not play the wav. file. Now what do I do? Marybeth: May I know what is the player you are using Tom ? Tom Holderbach: the same one I used when my account was acctive and it worked Tom Holderbach: active* Tom Holderbach: so why wouldn't the same one work from just a few days ago? Tom Holderbach: it is completely updated Tom Holderbach: ever since I sent in my equipment and cancelled, I can not get my voicemails and or recieve any calls Tom Holderbach: my girlfriend has applied for several jobs, my email says I have voicemails Marybeth: May I know if you hear any error message when you play it ? Tom Holderbach: so now she is losing a chance at a job and income because, we can not access the voicemails Tom Holderbach: there is no error message Marybeth: Okay Marybeth: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you. Tom Holderbach: NO Tom Holderbach: i want a supervisor now
Tom Holderbach: this is the conversation, I just had with Marybeth.
Marykate: Hello. My name is Marykate. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
Tom Holderbach: I want a supervisor NOW
Marykate: Thank you for waiting, Tom.
Marykate: I am a supervisor.
Tom Holderbach: i am losing income and my girlfriend is losing work because, you will not release my number, how do you plan on fixing it?
Tom Holderbach: your product did not work, i returned everything within the 30 days, money back guarratee correct?
Marykate: Yes, Tom.
Tom Holderbach: so...what is the problem?
Tom Holderbach: why will you not release my personnal phone number to me?
Marykate: Do you wish to port out Phone Number: (407) 382-0831 back to your carrier or to a new carrier?
Tom Holderbach: for free for sending me a defective product
Tom Holderbach: my daughters school called she was sick
Tom Holderbach: i did not find out till i picked her up this afternoon
Tom Holderbach: because, you have halted all access to my voicemail and my number
Tom Holderbach: job interviews my girlfriend is missing because, of your company
Tom Holderbach: i am losing work because, of your company
Tom Holderbach: how do you plan on fixing this problem?????
Marykate: You already returned the magicJack and technically Phone Number: (407) 382-0831 still belongs to magicJack after you transferred it in.
Marykate: You were the one who made the transfer, right?
Tom Holderbach: no it does not belong to you, you did not fulfill your obligation
Tom Holderbach: you sent me a defective product
Tom Holderbach: and i was not satisfied
Tom Holderbach: so money back, etc...etc...guarantte
Marykate: I understand, please do not worry as you will have refund on the magicJack that you have returned.
Tom Holderbach: Okay, I want the name and address of the CEO of your company
Marykate: Now, may I ask if you want to port out phone number: (407) 382-0831?
Tom Holderbach: port out?
Tom Holderbach: I want my number released to the new company that actually works
Marykate: Our CEO is Dan Borislow but we are not allowed to provide his address.
Marykate: Alright.
Marykate: In order to transfer a number on your magicJack to a new provider, eligible requests should be initiated by your new service provider, who will coordinate the transfer.
Tom Holderbach: they have tried
Tom Holderbach: you all keep holding it
Marykate: Your new carrier should request a customer service record for your account and we will send them your account information. You must provide your new carrier with your account password, which is the same password you use to access your magicJack.
Marykate: Please read my post message above.
Tom Holderbach: that is ok, it's easy for my lawyer to find his address and contact him
Marykate: Okay, good to know.
Tom Holderbach: I have done all of that and yet you still persist in not releasing my number
Tom Holderbach: I want the name of a supervisor and a phone number to call, thank you
Marykate: As I have checked here, an email confirmation has already been sent to you to complete the port out request.
Tom Holderbach: I am losing income because, of your company and it's faulty equipment
Marykate: As I have checked here, an email confirmation has already been sent to you to complete the port out request.
Tom Holderbach: the only emails I have from your company are letting me know that there are now 7 voicemail messages
Tom Holderbach: that I CANNOT access
Marykate: I will provide you the content of the email.
Marykate:
Dear TOM HOLDERBACH,

We have received a request that you would like to Port your number to another carrier. We are sorry to lose you as a customer. Please click here ( http://my.magicjack.com/portoutrequest.html?accountid=24605315&rsubscriberid= ) to complete the port out process.

Thank you,

magicJack Customer Service
Marykate: The email confirmation above was sent to Email Address: [email protected] last 09/19/2012.
Tom Holderbach: you want to charge me over 30 dollars
Tom Holderbach: LOL
Tom Holderbach: seriously
Marykate: Yes, that is correct.
Tom Holderbach: you lose a customer for faulty equipment and bad service
Tom Holderbach: then have the nerve to charge them for a phone number that has been their number for over 20 years?
Tom Holderbach: that is how you do business?
Tom Holderbach: really?
Marykate: I fully understand how you feel. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do for it as this kind of process is system generated.
Tom Holderbach: I call BS
Tom Holderbach: brighthouse cable compnay
Tom Holderbach: company*
Tom Holderbach: released the number with charge
Tom Holderbach: you are losing money, so the easiest way to make money is to rip me off over 30 dollars for horrible service
Tom Holderbach: with no charge*
Tom Holderbach: you have to refund my money because, of your guarantee
Tom Holderbach: what a joke
Tom Holderbach: you get it back by charging me to get my personal number back
Tom Holderbach: mean time, I am losing personal income?
Tom Holderbach: this is how you do business?
Marykate: Yes.
Marykate: I respect and appreciate your sentiments because I would feel the same way if I was on your shoes. However, please understand that a company policy is a policy that we need to follow at all times.
Tom Holderbach: I want to speak with a supervisor right now
Tom Holderbach: and I want a number to call to speaqk to this person
Tom Holderbach: speak*
Marykate: As I have stated at the start of this chat, I am a supervisor.
Tom Holderbach: I have been in customer service for over 30 years
Tom Holderbach: I know policy and when a customer is right, they are right
Tom Holderbach: so.....
Marykate: We'd love to help you by phone but we only have Tech chat support as of this time. Please do not worry as all chat sessions are saved for future reference. We are open 24/7 to serve you best.
Tom Holderbach: I want a supervisor
Tom Holderbach: not another marysomeone
Marykate: As I have stated at the start of this chat, I am a supervisor.
Marykate: My name is Marykate.
Tom Holderbach: I am unsatisfied customer
Tom Holderbach: and I am being ripped off by your company to get my personal number back
Tom Holderbach: how do you plan on fixing that?
Marykate: All you need to do is pay the $30 port fee and you'll be all set.
Tom Holderbach: NOT GONNA HAPPEN
Marykate: Okay, Tom.
Tom Holderbach: I was looking forward to using your service
Marykate: I respect your decision.
Tom Holderbach: you sent me faulty equipment from day one
Tom Holderbach: none of it worked
Tom Holderbach: i lost income
Tom Holderbach: i sent everything back
Tom Holderbach: now you want to actually charge me to get my personal number back
Tom Holderbach: you have a good racket going here
Tom Holderbach: I will make sure to spread to everyone i know, business and personal wise, just how your company works
Marykate: You definitely have a good point however I know that this can be frustrating and I would have accommodated your request if it were possible.
Tom Holderbach: It is possible
Tom Holderbach: you just refuse to do so
Tom Holderbach: not my problem
Tom Holderbach: I will make it my goal in life to make sure that everyone I know and do business with that magicjack is a ripoff
Tom Holderbach: copy paste, facebook, twitter and anything else I can find to post it all on
Marykate: Okay, I respect and it is your right to do so as well.
Marykate: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Tom Holderbach: Give me my phone number back
Marykate: Your new carrier should request a customer service record for your account and we will send them your account information. You must provide your new carrier with your account password, which is the same password you use to access your magicJack.
Tom Holderbach: and it will not cost me anything?
Marykate: Please be informed that there is a $30 port out fee.
Tom Holderbach: why 30 dollars?
Tom Holderbach: no one else at any company charges this fee
Tom Holderbach: so that means it is a fee only charged by your company
Tom Holderbach: so, i am guessing the majority of your customers are unsatisfied so when they leave and want their money back, you make sure and get your money by holding their personal phone numbers as hostage until they pay you a fee to get it back
Marykate: I believe I have provided all the necessary information that you need. I will end this chat now. If you have any other concern, please don't hesitate to chat us back. Thank you.
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
You are not currently in a chat session.
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Why MJ Sucks - Not The Only Reason But a Huge one For Alot Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd switch to a different provider given the recent issues that MJ is experiencing. They have been sued for Patent Infringements by Nettalk; the Court Docs were files on 9/21/2012 and now they are charging 19.95 a year for 500 monthly call forwarding minutes. They are no longer the Great Value which sucks, especially since I have 3 MJ's to replace now. You can attempt to get any answers from their live help, but I wouldn't bother as I have asked them many times about these issues and all I get is incorrect or B.S. answers from them.

Go to http://www.nettalk.com and check out their products; They offer a USB Model and an All in one that will work when connected to either a Network Jack or your Wi-Fi Connection. They will also port your current MJ number and they offer free call forwarding as well. MJ now charges for call forwarding and current users will lose this feature as well so there is no grandfathering for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: