magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What topics should be set to sticky?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: What topics should be set to sticky? Reply with quote

Please post what topics should be set as sticky in the forum
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it mean to be sticky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
What does it mean to be sticky

Just for you Kumar
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/faq.php#26
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk-through to configure a different softphone
the one on caller ID spoofing....
How to get SIP info
DD-WRT "Router Tips"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much anything you think a newbie would ask when first getting here. I know i know i know there's a search function but how forums have you been a part of that people don't seem to know how to use or where to find it - though it at the top of the page!!!
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIP Alternatives Gotta keep the discussion open and honest Wink
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: A "Status Page" thread Reply with quote

How about starting a "Status Page" thread in "Technical Support" where folks can report in where they are seeing problems/fixes?

Similar to this: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-down-t280.html

Maybe suggest a Format like:

Date: xx-JAN-08
Time: 2:00pm ET
Problem: No incoming Calls
Area Code of your MagicJack: XXX
Actual City where you connecting from: Nashville, TN

At least now there will be some (even if rudimentary) Status Page.

Last edited by testing123 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

test I had the same thought you do there. Does this forum support a Wiki of any kind? I've seen a few boards that actually let any registered user add/edit a single "wiki" post and would be perfect for this situation
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo619 wrote:
test I had the same thought you do there. Does this forum support a Wiki of any kind? I've seen a few boards that actually let any registered user add/edit a single "wiki" post and would be perfect for this situation

Good idea, I am not sure, hopefully Mods can chime in.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODS, the "Using MJ remotely thread" should be stickied -- VERY useful information in there.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bandwidth/ping/QoS Troubleshooting Script should be useful for some. Probably worth a sticky.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god...i think of something else whenever i look at this thread
Kumar
Jacksondale
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the bathroom???
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call this one, you have to go to the neighbors Very Happy
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread because it actually solved the User's problem.

(I know it is basic, but it worked)
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods: This thread is quite informative (even more so when they solve it).

In particular this post by LikeMagic about Firewall Ports.

I think it should be considered for Sticky.
bigbear78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky on how to remove the MJ software from your computer and how to format the MJ if it is needed due to it not working with a blue light still on!
Bendle

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/grand-central-invite-t160-135.html
Phil
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: maybe a non-technical sticky thread? Reply with quote

Sorry if I may seem out of line, as a newbie offering suggestions, but I think a good thread to be stickied might be something like "Before you buy MagicJack, read this" -- and the thread could contain some of the most common concerns new MJ users have raised. There's certainly no requirement that a forum user be an actual MJ customer, and I think it's reasonable to assume that people who are thinking about buying one but doing a little research first might come across this site.

Or maybe call it, "FAQ -- Non-technical issues" (from what I can see, all of the presently sticky threads pertain to technical stuff).

Here's one entry that it looks to me should go in such a thread; this seems to come up often enough that it might save some potential customers a little grief.

Q: The MagicJack site said they wouldn't bill my credit card for 30 days. I ordered the product, and they broke their promise and billed me immediately!

A: There are several possibilities:

1) Did you order expedited shipping? If you did ... well, they didn't break their promise. There's a notice in the signup process that if you choose expedited shipping, you will be billed immediately. Sometimes people miss it, I guess, but it's there. Sorry.

2) Did you use a debit card?
[Someone more familiar with debit card billing than me can fill in the details here.]

3) [etc.]
norml jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less sticky is more sticky. There are way too many stickies in the tips and hacks forum.
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one for sticky http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/easy-way-to-use-magicjack-without-usb-dongle-t2640.html?
malditong_taga_davao
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: maybe a non-technical sticky thread? Reply with quote

Q: The MagicJack site said they wouldn't bill my credit card for 30 days. I ordered the product, and they broke their promise and billed me immediately!

We've been trying to run some test orders there in our support room, we tried to use a visa-basically a debit card. After entering the information, we checked the box saying This a Debit card, a pop message will say "Due to the nature of the Free Trial Offer, this Free Trial is only available for Credit Card users. If you use a Debit Card, your Card will be charged right away, but you will still receive our 30-Day no-questions asked - Money Back Guarantee".

The above message doesn't show when using a credit card.

I think we should read first before we proceed.

Considering that Magicjack is a business, the owner wants to make things clear- a "Disclaimer" notice to be exact.
tlcbj41v
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: maybe a non-technical sticky thread? Reply with quote

malditong_taga_davao wrote:

We've been trying to run some test orders there in our support room, we tried to use a visa-basically a debit card. After entering the information, we checked the box saying This a Debit card, a pop message will say "Due to the nature of the Free Trial Offer, this Free Trial is only available for Credit Card users. If you use a Debit Card, your Card will be charged right away, but you will still receive our 30-Day no-questions asked - Money Back Guarantee".

The above message doesn't show when using a credit card.

I think we should read first before we proceed.

Considering that Magicjack is a business, the owner wants to make things clear- a "Disclaimer" notice to be exact.

Kabayan...

Pinoy ka...?
damion_dark8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Definitely a sticky thread..... Reply with quote

I just joined this forum today. I solely wanted to engage in spoofing the caller id on outbound calls to play a joke on my friends. But after reading for 2 hours I can see that the MagicJack people have closed that loophole, on the server side which makes it very difficult to spoof. Although I was inclined to attempt the 1.1 spoofing app created by one of the admins, I soon after found out that ultimately, the crack in the system had been closed. I do think it is important though to put a sticky in the "MagicJack tips, tricks, and hacks section" that reads......

"For all of those who want to spoof, or manipulate, the caller ID on outbound calls to play jokes on their friends....know this....there was a time when it was possible. However, it is not possible anymore. MagicJack caught on to what was going on and found a way to fix the problem. However, please leave satisfied knowing that your phone bill is only 20$/year. Have a nice day"

Have a nice day. Smile

Have a nice day.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Definitely a sticky thread..... Reply with quote

damion_dark8 wrote:
But after reading for 2 hours I can see that the MagicJack people have closed that loophole, on the server side which makes it very difficult to spoof. ...

This is an example of why I believe this forum needs a wiki to distill common topics into easy-to-find (and update) knowledge units.

Discussions just aren't wasy to find (no table of contents), nor update (you have to read to the last reply).

Discussions are good for sparking innovation, finding what are common subjects of interest. But, not finding definitive (encyclopedic or topical) references.

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I tend to believe that the forum yields a better picture of a topic, since it is rather difficult to retain dissenting opinions on a wiki, I don't believe this is the problem at hand. Mark, I understand and agree with your position on the usefulness of the wiki, but the wiki environment shares a characteristic with the forum environment in this case. That is, "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink." Just as many of my postings admonish people to Search for the answer, many of yours admonish people to look to the wiki for the answer. Sadly, too often we are preaching to an audience who cares to put forth no effort in satisfying their own needs, but wish to be spoon fed.

I salute damion_dark8 for having been responsible enough to honor forum etiquette by reading before posting. By using the word reading instead of the word searching I believe that he spent his 2 hours absorbing more than just this one topic he commented upon. I also believe that he commented on this one topic when he realized he had the entire story and then continued to read into the treasure that is this forum.

It is not difficult to perform a Search, and it is even simpler to read. Unfortunately, reading is too difficult for many people, and they choose to begin their membership here by asking a frequently asked question instead of looking. By definition, a forum is a place of public discussion. Too many people forget their responsibility in this equation, confusing a forum with a Customer Service center, and begin their relationship with the forum from a "gimme" stance.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
That is, "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink." Just as many of my postings admonish people to Search for the answer, many of yours admonish people to look to the wiki for the answer. Sadly, too often we are preaching to an audience who cares to put forth no effort in satisfying their own needs, but wish to be spoon fed.

The typographical convention known as books was invented (with indexes, tables of contents, etc.) because it was easier for individuals to find information themselves instead of going to the village reciter of history (or the priest).

The fact that some people still wouldn't read doesn't negate the common-sense fact that empowerment (and the tools to make it easier) yields greater knowledge through self-service. We wouldn't have wikipedia today if it were true that people wouldn't bother searching out information no matter how easy you make it.

I'd also like to add that the "horse to water" analogy cuts two ways. It's easy to engage in discussions, and then tell newcomers "go look for previous discussions". IMO, that's the same kind of laziness ascribed to newcomers who don't want to wade through endless streams of consciousness.

But, I do agree with you that a wiki isn't a replacement for a forum. Discussions foster the creation of knowledge. They just aren't the best form of knowledge for easy location, modification, and cross-referencing to related knowledge.

mberlant wrote:
I salute damion_dark8 for ...

I salute anyone who spends two hours searching for nothing more than "caller ID blocking is not available," or spends that much time reading a how-to thread only to get to the 250th post saying "it stopped working."

I'd give him a standing ovation if he spent 5 minutes adding something to the wiki FAQ saying as much (saving another forum initiate 2 hours. Confused )

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: