magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What routers work the best with MJ+?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taltal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: What routers work the best with MJ+? Reply with quote

I am a new MagicJack plus user. It works on my computer perfectly, but I can't use it independently – I keep on getting error 23 (once I got error 3002). My calls keep disconnecting after a short period of time.

Reading these forums, I understood that a router may solve the problem. Is that correct?
Do you have recommendation of specific models that can work appropriately with the MJ+?
I don't have a router and I have to buy one especially for this purpose. I will try to find it 2nd hand on craigslist. However, I never used any router, so I don't know what to look for, so I prefer to have something that will be simple to use and have the least problems…

The options I have now in my area for sale at a reasonable price are:
• Belkin wireless N (4-port) router
• Cisco-Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 (WRT54GX2)
• SMC WBR14-G2 Wireless G Broadband Router
• D-Link Dir-601 Wireless-N 150 router
• Netgear Wireless G Router Model WGR614
• Router Trendnet tew-432brp
• Actiontec GT704WG Wireless DSL Modem Router Combo
• D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G model DI-624

If any of these will solve the problem, or if you have good experience with another models, please let me know. I guess this kind of list can help some other people having the same problem. I will appreciate it if you can explain or give a link to simple explanation of the best way to connect and configure the router and the MJ+.

Some background:
I live in a university apartment, and using the secure fast university internet connection. We have 3 ethernet plug points at home, so we don't use a router. It took us some time to find the MAC address of the MJ+ and register it to the local net, tried the unpleasant experience of using the costumer service help, both in MJ and in the university, and at the end found how to do it thanks to these forums, but as I mentioned before – now, after the MJ+ is appropriately registered, I have this error notice all the time. When I disconnect it and plug it again, it works fine for few minutes, and then again I get this "error 23" notice. I can make a call immediately after I plug it again, but it disconnects after a short period of time.
If it makes any difference, I have a cordless phone of Vtech (CS6114, Dect 6.0) that I am connecting to my MJ+.

Thank a lot,
Frustrated MJ+ user
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is Cisco /Linksys, Plug and Play. Smile
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one $26 and shipped free to store
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Valet-Wireless-Hotspot-Wireless-N-Router/14005985
taltal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Thanks a lot! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot to both of you.
I will try that, and will report if it helps.
bricks1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use linksys...
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Cisco/Linksys with DD-WRT Reply with quote

I wonder how well magicJack plus units work when plugged up to routers with the DD-WRT firmware. My Linksys WRT54G used to drop the internet connection all the time, then I flashed DD-WRT to it. Now it's solid as a rock. I'm still using the standard magicJack, but I am curious about this since I am thinking about upgrading to the plus at the end of this year when my service runs out on the MJ.
itsalive
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody has sucessfuly installed MJ+ to their modem/router combination without having to open any extra ports please provide model of router and modem model and type (DSL or cable). Thanks!

I have cable modem SBG900 (Comcast) and Linksys WRT54GS v1 wireless router with the original firmware. MJ+ doesn't work with that combo and required me to disable!!! firewall to make/receive phone calls Sad
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsalive wrote:
If anybody has sucessfuly installed MJ+ to their modem/router combination without having to open any extra ports please provide model of router and modem model and type (DSL or cable). Thanks!

I have cable modem SBG900 (Comcast) and Linksys WRT54GS v1 wireless router with the original firmware. MJ+ doesn't work with that combo and required me to disable!!! firewall to make/receive phone calls Sad

Upgrade your router's firmware to DD-WRT. I used to have trouble with my magicJack (original) until I installed DD-WRT onto my WRT54G. The firmware on the Linksys WRT54G routers is a real sorry excuse. My internet connection used to drop all the time with the old Linksys firmware. Look up DD-WRT on Google. I believe they have a version for the WRT54GS. Just be sure it's compatible with your router version.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubecompmtdx wrote:
itsalive wrote:

Upgrade your router's firmware to DD-WRT. I used to have trouble with my magicJack (original) until I installed DD-WRT onto my WRT54G. The firmware on the Linksys WRT54G routers is a real sorry excuse. My internet connection used to drop all the time with the old Linksys firmware. Look up DD-WRT on Google. I believe they have a version for the WRT54GS. Just be sure it's compatible with your router version.
+1 get a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt and you should be good to go. Got mine off ebay for around $20.
itsalive
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mess with your modem's settings? My cable modem SBG900 is also a wireless router (no multiple ethernet ports though) and has its own firewall setup. Do I need both modem and router firewalls? Did you have to mess with your modem's settings? Thanks!!!
itsalive
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsalive wrote:
Did you mess with your modem's settings? My cable modem SBG900 is also a wireless router (no multiple ethernet ports though) and has its own firewall setup. Do I need both modem and router firewalls? Did you have to mess with your modem's settings? Thanks!!!

I figured out my problem. The modem firewall was the issue. Since then I upgraded to Motorola SB6120 modem and dd-wrt firmware for my wrt54gs v1.1 router and everything works fine (after assigning static IP to the MAC address of the MJ+)...

Many thanks to cubecompmtdx and sabresfan
kito0t
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually upgrading the firmware is not the only fix for having audio problems on magicjack plus connected to the router. You can also add the ports that the magicjack uses which is 5060 and 5070 or you can activate the "DMZ" or the demilitarized zone on the settings on your router.
cwbrown
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cubecompmtdx"]
itsalive wrote:

I upgraded an old USR 5461 to DD-WRT and then configured it to act as a repeater. In this regard, it works fine with wireless connections. I just tried plugging my MJ+ directly into it but get an" Error 1 - Check your internet connect." Im pretty sure the ports on the back are not active (no light when I plug in). Im computer literate and know a fair amount about networking but am quite rusty. Can someone tell me how I go about activating the ports within the WW-DRT firmware?
Duke_of_Teas
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

Cisco\Linksys hands down is the best.

STAY AWAY FROM TRENDnet routers if you ever want to use VOIP!!!
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netgears seem to work pretty well, too. I'm using a cheop, factory refurbished Netgear WNR2000v.2 ($25) that works great with MJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: