magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning: You must plug magicJack into USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedking wrote:
Nope. Only two drives listed. (CSmile and PHONE (DSmile Noting in there called magicJack at all.

If you go into "Computer Management" (right click "My Computer", "Manage", and choose "Disk Management") do you see any more drives?

Mark
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just C and PHONE D
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went two rounds with the USB not recognized error,main machine had the error and tried everything to fix it with no success .

Plugged MJ unit into Dell laptop and it worked.

Replaced short USB extension cable on main machine with new longer cable clicked MJ desktop icon and it worked,rebooted and it worked.Smile

This is strange but had same problem when MJ was new and now about a year later. that short USB cable is now in the garbage.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Replaced short USB extension cable on main machine with new longer cable clicked MJ desktop icon and it worked,rebooted and it worked.Smile ... that short USB cable is now in the garbage.

Good advice. I forgot about the pigtail extension cable. It has caused my softphone to stop and restart just from moving it a little (breaking the connection). I didn't think how it could permanently break the connection.

Mark
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MJ is plugged directly into the USB port on the back of my Dell desktop unning XP. I do not use the extension cable.

It was working fine for the last three months. This past Friday I noticed there was no MJ desktop icon and when I checked the drives only C and D showed up. I tried the upgrade, but again, it gives me the "warning, plug MJ into USB" thing.

Why did this happen out of the blue and is there any fix? Is the MJ device just faulty and I need a replacement?

Thanks,
Dan
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedking wrote:
Why did this happen out of the blue and is there any fix? Is the MJ device just faulty and I need a replacement?

Try it on another computer.

Mark
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not. If it's a problem with the computer i use MJ with now, isn't there a way to test it?
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason I wouldn't see a drive listed called "magicJack" in My Computer?
speedking
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They issues me a new MJ device. We'll see how the new one works...or doesn't.
headros
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix of reformatting the MJ drive with label PHONE successfully fixed the "WARNING:YOU MUST PLUG MAGIC JACK INTO USB PORT" error. After format, go to MJ site and download http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

run the exe, your golden!
karanseth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Warning: You must plug MJ in USB Reply with quote

I did everything that is given in this forum topic, but I still get that error.

The problem is on the Disk Management screen I have 2 drives. One is of 18 MB with I: which I can format and the other is 2 MB MagicJack drive which has the format option greyed out.

What am I supposed to do in that case?
murphy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller drive is a simulated CD drive which can't be formatted. Only the larger drive can be formatted.
Ramboot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Magicjack was hanging my pc, but not anymore Reply with quote

Hi all,

Purchased a magicjack about 3 weeks ago, plugged it in and it worked great. PC runs XP sp3.

Purchased another (used) pc about 1 1/2 weeks ago, with XP and plugged in mj and got the message, New hardware found, then nothing. Checked the mj on my old pc, and worked fine.

So now I messed around for the past week searching fixes, and nothing worked. When I plugged in mj my pc was hanging badly, and as soon as I unplugged it, it was fine.

I had used regedit to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_TigerJet&Prod_HardDisk&Rev_v2.0

entry, but ultimately same problem.

Then I read that I had to delete the Talk4free entry, so did so, still nothing.

Ultimately I went through whole registry searching for any Tigerjet entry and deleted them all, plus the Talk4free entry. I also searched for any magicjack entry.

I then went to my old pc, plugged in the magicjack, and it instantly started downloading the upgrade (which I had done previously on this machine). Once complete the mj worked fine on my old machine. I then plugged it into my new(er) machine and it installed instantly and works fine.

Ramboot.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headros wrote:
The fix of reformatting the MJ drive with label PHONE successfully fixed the "WARNING:YOU MUST PLUG MAGIC JACK INTO USB PORT" error. After format, go to MJ site and download http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

I've been resolving this problem by rebooting my laptop, but today I tried the format, update route. There's lots of info scattered in this thread so I'll take a stab at consolidating it. Also there is some confusion about which MJ drive to format (as it turns out, only one will let you format it, on the other drive, the option is disabled, so no risk).

>>If you get the error that the MJ must be plugged into USB, try this:

- Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
- Look for the two MJ drives
- Right click on one, see if there is a Format option, if it's greyed out, try the other MJ drive. Only one will let you format it.
- Optional: backup your phone book file "AddressBook.xml" as the next step will erase it.
- Once you've identified which MJ drive allows you to format it, right click (if you need to again) and click Format. Be sure the drive name is "Phone". Formatting should take only a few seconds
- Go to [url] http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe[/url] and download and run the upgrade. This will re-install the MJ files and MJ will start up again.
- On startup, you'll be asked to confirm the registration of the MJ. Enter the email address you used to register and password (I discovered the email address is case sensitive and I had to enter my email address in UPPER CASE).

This is a pretty benign approach compared to editing the registry. Let me know if I've left anything out and I'll edit.

Update I've noticed if the laptop has been running for awhile and I plug in the MJ dongle, I get the "must plug into USB" error message. If I leave the dongle plugged in when I start the laptop or plug it in soon after starting the laptop, I don't get the error message. It could be related to the USB ports powering down after no activity. I'm running on AC power. I want to leave the USB power saving settings as-is to extend the run-time on batteries so will need to do the re-format trick or remember to plug in the dongle as soon as I start the laptop. I tried plugging in an external harddrive to wake up the USB port. The drive worked fine, but MJ still gave me the error when I plugged it into the same port.
caprice240k
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: re: Warning you must plug magic jack into USB port Reply with quote

I have the same problem. "Warning you must plug magic jack into USB port". The solution is to format the removable disc that is associated with your Magic Jack and then after the format is completed, click on the Magic Jack icon in My Computer before closing it. Do not close My Computer and click on Magic Jack on desktop as this will cause the same problem to repeat itself. I have to reformat Magic Jack everytime I use it. Remember only click on Magic Jack icon in My Computer not on the desktop. This should solve your problem. But the real cause is a defective Magic Jack device and poor customer support.
twistid
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help, I started having this problem totally randomly!!!

I formatted the PHONE drive to FAT and then loaded upgrade.exe, still wont work, infact it says "upgrading" "lucky you" then goes straight to warning: plug in usb or whatever... then I load up my computer and the formatted drive is still empty?
MJ Problem Solver
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I believe I can help you.
Have you copied your contacts ? that is your addressbook.xml file
Barry
twistid
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I never had any contacts, all I want to do is to be able to use the device as it used to work!

I tried to delete the registry files but it wont let me, it wont give me access to them when I go into permissions. I googled and tried many ways to give myself access to delete the registry files but it flat out refuses to let me delete them...

I've formatted the device 5 times now, each time running upgrade.exe afterwards, and every time it gives me the warning plug in usb, Ive restarted computer, and done about everything possible Sad used it with and without the cable thing, multiple usb ports, it just one day stopped working!?
cgkowalsk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: kingskid777 - yes this did help somebody- me! Reply with quote

I reformatted the phone drive (lost all my contacts but oh well), downloaded the upgrade and was up and running again in 2 minutes. It took me longer to google the error message and follow your conversation than for the upgrade to get me back online.

Thanks again for this information.
alphaomega76
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Warning must plug magicjack into usb Reply with quote

Just plug in your magicjack and use this link
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphaomega76... worked like a charm! I even got back all my old contacts, which was a pleasant surprise. Where did you find this? I'm pretty active on this forum, but it got by me. Again, thanks. I hope this is the answer to the last "Lucky You" upgrade I've been looking for.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Still no joy in Mudville. Received an incoming call this a.m. and was dropped within a couple of minutes. Drat! I was hoping this would be easy. I'm just not ready to start trouble shooting this. The hard part is find friends to call who have the patience to help with this. My list is getting very short.
satrider
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending the day with chat support and having a tech access my computer, all they suggested was to reinstall the operating system...Tall order yea!!

MJ worked great with XP Pro, but when I upgraded to Windows 7 I also did some upgrades to my pc, like replacing the integrated graphics to a PC1 card which used xtra power, a floppy drive that was causing a conflict and 1000mb of memory.
When I disabled the floppy MJ was recognized imediatley. Unfortunately the same issues arose upon a reboot. MJ would sometimes start just to turn off and get the dreaded warning MJ not plugged in!!

Believe me when I say I tried everything until I got out my powered usb hub, plugged MJ in and MJ has been working without a glitch with better than bormal audio than before.

What I'm saying is that any re configuration of your system can cause problems and the MJ may not be your problem. Most store bought PC's come with a 250 to 300 watt power supply and this may not be enough to run all our external devices in a usb world and MJ likes stable power.

So check your system for faulty hardware and save yourself the headache from contacting support. Using a powered usb hub can only help with all your usb external devices!!
MJfubar
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: How to fix MagicJack must be plugged into USB port problem Reply with quote

I bought my MagicJack in Jan 2008. It worked great when I plugged it in but the call quality was tinny so after awhile I stopped using it. I decided to try it again a couple of days ago and connected it to my computer(running XP) it was recognized immediately and seemed fine except I had to renew my license. I did that and then the MJ started upgrading itself. After the upgrade(lucky you!) I got the "warning, MJ must be plugged into usb" well that was a bummer. Since I had renewed I decided to try to get it working, I spent hours and several sessions with MJ customer support(never got it working) problem always returned after reboot. I then spent hours looking for fixes on the web(never got it working reliably) until I tried something I learned on phoneservicesupport.com I was about to give up until I read about using the MJ dongleless. I followed all the steps exactly except I left the MJ plugged in so I could use a phone and it works great! Reboots and loads reliably now and call quality is very good.

Here is exactly what I did in case someone has this problem.

Set your BIOS on your computer so it doesn't boot from CD or usb, only your harddrive
Format the MJ drive to clear it.
Remove the MJusbsp folder and all data inside it
Run the upgrade
Follow the steps on phoneservicesupport.com on how to use the MJ without the dongle, exactly
Start the MJ application after your computer is fully booted up via a shortcut

I have not tried it without the dongle yet since I don't have a headset handy to use on my computer. I was going to buy one but I tried using it with the dongle in and it works great and I can use a phone. I guess because all the application software is running on the c: drive instead of partly on the MJ drive it avoids the problem created by the (Lucky You!) upgrade. So now, no more "warning, MJ must be plugged into usb"

Call quality seems to be much better than I remember from two years ago.
asatow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Warning: You must plug your MJ into a usb port. Reply with quote

I have been getting this error on my computer. MJ works on all other computers in my house except this one. I got it to work by right clicking on Computer > Manage > Disk Management. and then looking for the drive that says MagicJack. I noticed this drive did not have a drive letter. So I right clicked on the drive and selected change drive letter or path and assigned a drive letter. An autoplay option immediately popped up and I selected start MagicJack. Working perfectly now. Hope this helps some of you who are still having this problem, or at least give you another direction to look for answers in.
LRod
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Warning: You must plug your MJ into a usb port Reply with quote

Thank you asatow. I had been searching for a solution for a few hours and your solution did the trick. Adding the drive letter allowed MJ to load and work as normal again. Great contribution asatow. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: