magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade today (4-25-2008) MagicJack's Can't Register Now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skider86
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Upgrade today (4-25-2008) MagicJack's Can't Register Now Reply with quote

I received an upgrade today from MJ that seems to have broken my MJ. After the upgrade it seems to be unable to register, although it can clearly communicate with the mothership. The web site for MJ seems to no longer include any tech support as every troubleshooting link I tried just plays a marketing video. I tried the chat link in this forum, but they seem to not speak English as they tell me to do something I already told them I tried. (Maybe it is not even a person there?) I last used my MJ less than 24 hours ago...

Any suggestions that I may have overlooked:

1. Unplugged and replugged MJ
2. Rebooted system
3. Renamed the folders under the profile where the application runs. MJ successfully downloads the upgrade.exe program and recreates the folders after launching the program from the MJ (USB) so I *know* it is communicating with MJ servers (I even tried disabling my firewall before I did this step).
skider86
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an upgrade.exe on the MJ web site that I overlooked since these silly people insist on using flash (popular way way to infect PCs these days). This upgrade.exe is a couple megabytes bigger than the one that is being downloaded from the client software. This file restored my MJ back to working order...
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skider86 wrote:
I found an upgrade.exe on the MJ web site that I overlooked since these silly people insist on using flash (popular way way to infect PCs these days). This upgrade.exe is a couple megabytes bigger than the one that is being downloaded from the client software. This file restored my MJ back to working order...

Skider,

Would you share the link to this update with us. I have been watching the standard Upgrade.exe and it has been 7.11 megs for ever, never seems to change. I would love to get my hands on something new (if that is what you say you have found) just to break the monotony. Laughing
skider86
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it from the MJ web site at http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe (which was via a link from http://www.magicjack.com/1/magicfix.asp). The upgrade.exe they pushed to my WORKING installation was only 5 MBs in size and broke things. I bet this version is the same that you already have. I have the version info below and kept this upgrade.exe in a safe place since reinstalling from scratch didn't seem to correct my issue.

Size: 7,464,760 bytes
Version: 1.73.4153.2910
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skider86 wrote:
I downloaded it from the MJ web site at http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe (which was via a link from http://www.magicjack.com/1/magicfix.asp). The upgrade.exe they pushed to my WORKING installation was only 5 MBs in size and broke things. I bet this version is the same that you already have. I have the version info below and kept this upgrade.exe in a safe place since reinstalling from scratch didn't seem to correct my issue.

Size: 7,464,760 bytes
Version: 1.73.4153.2910

Skider86, you are correct I do already have the one you listed in you footer note. The size and version of the one you have listed it the latest, but if you installed or tried to install one that was only "5 mega bytes" ... well that sounds wrong and maybe you just got a bad download. It definitely should be 7.11 megs in size.

Thanks for the info.
skider86
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of my troubleshooting I renamed the corrupt directory to reinstall things so I have the original update.exe that was FORCED on me today. The version is quite different than the one I obtained on the MJ directory (and I would assume that any self-respecting software developer would verify an update was downloaded before trying to run it):

BAD Update.exe
Version: 1.70.3953.2766
Size: 5,418,920 bytes

BTW, the version of the software that restored my MJ back to working order REFUSES to leave my registry alone. I DISLIKE applications that run automatically when you logon your system so I removed the offending registry key. This version replaces that registry key every time you run the client software, which is really NOT polite (my working setup prior to today did not do this).
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it a bad update but is is considerably older than what you can down load directly from their site. It's version number is 1.73.4153.2910.
prestonlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't pay attention to the size, date, or version of the update when I ran it last week. However, my MJ did not return to normal for a number of hours after updating it. Just my experience.
prestonlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added in my previous post:

The update, as far as I could tell, improved the DTMF. Previously, before the update, if I called my bank and had to enter my account numbers or something I had to use the computers keyboard. Using my phone (not a cheapie) would not work. After the update, my keyboard no longer works for entering numbers and using the phone to enter numbers works perfectly. I'm sure the update may have done other things but the ability to use the phone to key in numbers after a call begins was all I noticed out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: