magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unreliable, or just plain useless?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wylie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Unreliable, or just plain useless? Reply with quote

Here I am on the road with the MJ after playing with it at home for the past 3 weeks. I have wide open internet here and the MJ connects no problem. I can get into my MJ voice mail, I can call the MJ from my cell, but I can't call out to anyone at a Canadian number (I'm in Ontario with an Illlinois MJ number). A few hours ago it worked fine, for the last 2 hours nothing - zero - zilch. It rings and rings and rings, no matter what number I call, including my home voice mail or my cell (sitting right beside me).

Bob
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that MJ has set up (at least) two routes to Canada. The one that I believe is first priority works ok. Ringing starts within 5 seconds. The other does not work, and takes ~7 seconds to start playing a (fake) ring. During heavy traffic times, IMO the first carrier's pipe is full, calls get sent to the second and fail. I just called 416-789-5161 about 50 times as a test; 5 calls were successful. When it works, it's answered by an IVR on the first ring. If you are patient enough with the redial button, you will get through. I hope MJ fixes this soon.
nchudes1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am experiencing the exact same thing as you, can't call ant cdn numbers
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest magicJack should have a Network Status Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wylie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and still the same this morning.
neecy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 5:30 Pacific here, and I still can't make any outgoing calls to Canada.
SouthIsland
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is a Magic JOKE. I find it only works about 40% of the time. (..and when it does, to it's credit, it works fairly well) I'm using a MAC which could be part of the problem. I've made calls to both Canadian and US numbers.....it will ring about 10 times before disconnecting. One is a Canadian cell phone and the other a US land line....both sitting right beside me. They never rang once!!! It used to work ok, but now it will not complete any calls!

This thing is marketed as a land line replacement, WHICH IT IS NOT. Too many issues still need to be sorted out. As the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Buyer beware!

If anyone knows of a solution to these problems it would be much appreciated!!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthIsland,

"If anyone knows of a solution to these problems it would be much appreciated!!"

I don't have a solution but I know that MagicJack has absolutely no qualms about implement test code and modification during prime time and not letting any know i.e. a System Status Board.
docdaw
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: useless VOIP Reply with quote

My MJ has been faulty all day, only connecting once in a while with no warning as to which calls are real and which are fake.

I am about ready to ask for my money back.

Their text tech support is useless and always want you to get a new phone!

Totally unreliable product.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

docdaw,

Are you saying that you get phone calls and there is no one on the other end.

Just about the time I think I have heard them all someone comes up with a new one. But one thing about MJ just give it a day or so and it will change usually for the better but not always. Rolling Eyes

Don't give up on it too fast, believe it or not they are getting better. But some area codes seem to get hit harder than others.
Wylie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really mad - you stole my MagicJoke name! <GRIN>

Same problem to Canada again today - I got through once in about 10 tries. Oh well, live and learn. At least I have a decent long distance plan on my cell phone for "just such an emergency" as Foghorn Leghorn would say...

Bob
AMDZen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unreliable, or just plain useless?

For me thus far its been both, if I could get the thing to work at all I'd be happy - much less make calls to/get calls from Canada.
Scotty
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Unreliable, or just plain useless? Reply with quote

Okay, from Toronto ONT Canada.

MJ arrived in the mail... plugged the little baby in... No issues with the setup.

I got a dial tone on my phone after plugging it into MJ - however when I dialed my cell number - (dead air) but heard my cell phone ring. Answered it.... but could not hear on either end???? Anybody else?

Called my number back using my cell phone - MJ and my hard phone rang... answered - could not hear anything? Anybody else??

Thanks in advance,

Scotty
Cool
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Unreliable, or just plain useless? Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
I got a dial tone on my phone after plugging it into MJ - however when I dialed my cell number - (dead air) but heard my cell phone ring. Answered it.... but could not hear on either end????
Your posts all appear to have come through a corporate firewall. If you're at work, try again from home. If you're at home using a VPN connection, try MJ again with the VPN down. If you were trying from home without a VPN, please describe what make/model of modem you have, router if any, software firewall other than Windows Firewall.
Scotty
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, unhooked the VPN.... Same problem. I can receive calls to MJ from my cell phone (no issues there! Ya!) however,
when I go to dail out from the telephone connected to MJ - I get the dial tone, enter the numbers... then nothing..., and more nothing (I don't even hear it right on the headset) - I hangup.

I have rebooted my computer.

Using Symantec and CounterSpy

Any suggestions
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Unreliable, or just plain useless? Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
Scotty wrote:
I got a dial tone on my phone after plugging it into MJ - however when I dialed my cell number - (dead air) but heard my cell phone ring. Answered it.... but could not hear on either end????
Your posts all appear to have come through a corporate firewall. If you're at work, try again from home. If you're at home using a VPN connection, try MJ again with the VPN down. If you were trying from home without a VPN, please describe what make/model of modem you have, router if any, software firewall other than Windows Firewall.

Stewart, if you suspect VPN, could it be possible that they are going through a corporate (http) Proxy as well for LAN Traffic? I have seen some Corporate setups that require Proxy settings in IE (that affect all network traffic on the PC) -- i.e., even if the VPN software is not running, http requests are sent to the corporate Proxy unless you do 1 of 2 things:
1) Don't Proxy connections to certain IPs: IE/Tools/Internet Options/LAN Settings/Advanced Button/"Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with", OR
2) Temporarily remove the Proxy: IE/Tools/Internet Options/LAN Settings/Use Proxy for your LAN (uncheck)

Just a suggestion, since you mentioned VPN you made me think of this. . .
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123,

Testing123, this is not directed at you but this topic in general. All these things a guy can do to work around a corporate environment, is that before or after you get fired for violating their security protocols.

Is it worth it - probably not.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
testing123,

Testing123, this is not directed at you but this topic in general. All these things a guy can do to work around a corporate environment, is that before or after you get fired for violating their security protocols.

Is it worth it - probably not.

HolmanGT, I think you may misunderstand.

I am the LAST person on earth who would try to encourage thwarting/violating/ignoring corporate policies.

I suggested this because I have seen MANY issues when PC users use laptops at work and then at home and can't figure out why, when they are not running the VPN software, they still can't connect or some applications choke.

To be clear, I suggested this as a troubleshooting measure because often the VPN software does not require the Proxy setting ... instead it is used when you are within your corporate environment and need to browse/connect with the Internet through your corporate proxy/firewall. But, it is not needed (and often won't work) when you are at home (or travelling).

Just FYI, IMHO this setting may interfere with proper MJ usage (no nefarious intent intended).
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123,

First, you made me break out the dictionary "nefarious" Rolling Eyes

Second, I am going to fall back on my disclaimer that I was not pointing fingers at you or anyone else for that matter.

I have absolutely no problems with "Corp. IT" workarounds. The "IT" group and I have been at odds for as long as there has been "IT" organizations and the fact that I personally out-date them never seemed to buy me any leverage when it came to arguing what I could and couldn't do on their networks. I have been trying for years to do whatever I wanted to on their systems and even on very rare occasions managed to pull off some good ones but those folks can get nasty.

I don't like (Oh God am I going to catch hell for this) "IT" groups and the personalities that populate them (in general). I also don't know exactly what prompted me to even make the remark that I did. I have been watching post about MJ and company firewalls and pretty much stayed out of it but remember thinking to myself how in the heck are they even plugging those things in on a Corporate network without getting caught. Places that I have worked in the past had traps set for thing like that and there would have been an "IT" person show up at my cubicle in five minutes or less with a disgusting little smile asking "is there anything I can help you with Mr. Holman, is something wrong with your computer, would you mind logging out so we can run a virus scan on your computer, we have been noticing some strange virus like activity coming from your machine (that is all "IT" speak for we got you buy the knee caps). And while that was a long sentence the "IT" person would have said it without even stopping to take a breath.

So I am a self admitted "IT" system hacker and if my previous post and this one offends anyone well all I can say is "Ignore the man be hind the curtain". The Great and wonderful OZ often sticks his foot in his mouth. Wink
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're funny dude .... IT guys are not that bad ... really.

PS don't be so obsequious .... JOKING. Razz

HolmanGT wrote:
testing123,

First, you made me break out the dictionary "nefarious" Rolling Eyes

Second, I am going to fall back on my disclaimer that I was not pointing fingers at you or anyone else for that matter.

I have absolutely no problems with "Corp. IT" workarounds. The "IT" group and I have been at odds for as long as there has been "IT" organizations and the fact that I personally out-date them never seemed to buy me any leverage when it came to arguing what I could and couldn't do on their networks. I have been trying for years to do whatever I wanted to on their systems and even on very rare occasions managed to pull off some good ones but those folks can get nasty.

I don't like (Oh God am I going to catch hell for this) "IT" groups and the personalities that populate them (in general). I also don't know exactly what prompted me to even make the remark that I did. I have been watching post about MJ and company firewalls and pretty much stayed out of it but remember thinking to myself how in the heck are they even plugging those things in on a Corporate network without getting caught. Places that I have worked in the past had traps set for thing like that and there would have been an "IT" person show up at my cubicle in five minutes or less with a disgusting little smile asking "is there anything I can help you with Mr. Holman, is something wrong with your computer, would you mind logging out so we can run a virus scan on your computer, we have been noticing some strange virus like activity coming from your machine (that is all "IT" speak for we got you buy the knee caps). And while that was a long sentence the "IT" person would have said it without even stopping to take a breath.

So I am a self admitted "IT" system hacker and if my previous post and this one offends anyone well all I can say is "Ignore the man be hind the curtain". The Great and wonderful OZ often sticks his foot in his mouth. Wink
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing123,

"don't be so obsequious .... JOKING."

It takes all the spontaneity out of the joke when you have to rummage thru a dictionary to find out just how badly you have been insulted. Heck by the time I figured out the punch line I had already forgotten what the joke was. Laughing

I should have known better than to even touch on the "IT" thing in this group. I am grossly outnumbered here and should have know it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: