magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UH OH! - No more ATA?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgfrmnyc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: UH OH! - No more ATA? Reply with quote

Well, seems as though with todays update that we are no longer able to connect with our pap2 and I suspect this is happening to alot of others too. I have 2 jacks one number through an pap2 and another through a pbx provider. Neither one works anymore. I obtained my new sip credentials for both (the PW changed 2 times in a couple of hours on one of them) but for whatever reason the calls do not go through. If I plug in the jacks, calls work fine. I guess something is now checking for the jack itself...a serial number perhaps? I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas?
slimenem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: UH OH! - No more ATA? Reply with quote

I just recieved a call with the new pass entered but cannot make outgoing if that helps someone figure out whats going on!
gumby357
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here using a cisco Router with a SIP UA password changed change config but looks like they may be doing some type of check for the dongle now ?

Have just went back to dongle with fxo port for now untill I can figure out what is going on
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: What problem? Reply with quote

I just updated my proxy name from recent update. Did it this morning. Using PAP2T still working for my test calls to local and distant recordings.
My PW didn't change.

Are we supposed to be having trouble with ATA???

OTC
Mr_Dasher
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a MJ in November and one in April. I updated both today. The one I bought in November had it's password change but the one I bought in April didn't and still works with my ATA. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it.?
gb123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Change User Agent Reply with quote

Has anybody tried changing SIP User Agent header in ATA to match that of Magic Jack...

I tried that... with no success.. Any other way they can figure out where the call is coming from... It has to be some header in the SIP register message...

I did use the updated outbound proxy ...
newwonder01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: No SMORE SIP Reply with quote

I having the same problem as well, today my MJ stoped working after I received my SIP, I am unable to connect it.

Any update?
OG1502
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Linksys RPT300 stopped working with MJ today too...
bbttcom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, no more ata, they check for the serial #of MJ now
magic4205
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I was using AC 211 and it stopped working today morning. Tried with the new password and it does not work either. Tried with iphone too but same result. I guess we have to wait for some expert to help.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbttcom wrote:
I have the same problem, no more ata, they check for the serial #of MJ now

What makes you say that?
luisito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine still works with the new password. Smile
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post pics of your config so we can check settings to see if you have something we are missing or simply that yours working may be a fluke Wink Please black out any log in info
luisito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No setting change here. I just pulled the sip credentials and compared to the old one and the password is the only difference. Keep trying Smile
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that but you might have had a setting in there from before that we did not. And now you are already set with the proper info but we are not.
luisito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see i am a newbie. My uncle had the same problem last night. I asked him to reset the ata and dump again the sip credential. Now, he is back online too. Smile
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great and I am really happy there might be some hope, but can you still post what you have? It probably will not make a difference but you never know
luisito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MJ is just playing around. Try it again sometime. It will work. Smile
a_hungk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: password change every time you disconnect ata Reply with quote

for me look like mj have a new security to check for dongle, today my internet was down two time and that two time my password change.
I was able to get the info and putting in my ata device, and my innomedia work without a glitch.
luisito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try other proxy. Maybe some proxies are not working Smile
stardust
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using my mj on asterisk pbx and it went down last night, I updated sip with new password but no luck... here is the error message from asterisk log : chan_sip.c: Failed to authenticate on REGISTER to '[email protected]'

any ideas what's happening?
Mr_Dasher
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted previously - I'm not able use my ATA but I'm able to use the softphone without the dongle. So it appears that it's not looking for a dongle.

D
MJuser403
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Got incoming working, but no outgoing Reply with quote

I successfully upgraded my software using the dongle. I saw that the password changed, as well as my proxy (they added "proxy01" instead of "proxy1"). MJsuite v1.6 works just fine for me to grab my SIP credentials.

I updated my ATA (WRTP54G), got it to register, can receive calls, but all outgoing calls get a fast busy. I did not change my proxy (left it as "proxy1").

I think it is just a matter of time before I lose incoming calls too. It doesn't surprise me that MJ has found a way to force us to use the dongle.

I'm an intermediate-level user, I can set up the SIP and know my way around my ATA settings. But I don't have the experience to figure out how to get around MJ's latest upgrade.
RonV
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dead too. PBX stopped registering with MJ around 9:30 PM CDT. Work up with morning with no work MJ for outbound or inbound and the PBX reports SIP registration failure.

I plugged in my MJ to get the software update and exacted the new credentials, put them into my Asterisk config and didn't work. Still can't register.

I hope someone figures out the changes that MJ made.
mjsbz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the new credentials after the update, but cannot register. Same as most people on here. Whats going on?
JohnnyPhilko
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Linksys RTP 300, just changed to new password and all appears to be fine.
teddy_b
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, remember - MJ uses SIP, so all they can examine and verify are the SIP packet headers. So if you can make your ATA/asterisk/whatever to generate exactly the same headers as MJ dongle does, it should work. The problem however is that in many ATAs, as well as in different VoIP softwares, you can't control certain headers, or can only control them to a point.

For example, REGISTER message sent by MJ dongle in response to authorization request looks like this:
Code:
To: <sip:[email protected]>
Call-ID: C0B599D96037466AB3840HG39SD316840xc0a80104
CSeq: 3 REGISTER
Expires: 0
Max-Forwards: 70
User-Agent: MagicJack/1.80.484a (SJ Labs)
Authorization: Digest username="EXXXXXXXXXX01",realm="stratus.com",nonce="*******_****",uri="sip:talk4free.com",response="f*************d",algorithm=MD5
Content-Length: 0

Notice the "Expires: 0". Someone on the other thread mentioned that setting "Registry Expires" setting on the ATA to 0 made it to successfully register again. MJ very well may be checking for the "Expires" header, and reject the registration if it's set to non-zero value. But not all ATAs allow setting it to 0, and when you specify defaultexpiry=0 for Asterisk, it will use default value - 120 - instead (unless you patch and recompile the Asterisk).

There could be other headers in INVITE packet as well that they can verify... Or they can check for a certain format of some headers, like "Call-ID" - there's no way that any standard SIP software or ATA will let you control the "Call-ID". Or they can use a non-standard way of encoding the userid/password... Anything...

Of course, it will make MJ a "non-standard" SIP provider, but they can easily do these kinds of checks by compiling a special patched version of Asterisk (I believe they use Asterisk) with these few extra checks included.

I do not know why not all users are affected the same way so far - but probably because they are gradually moving customers to a new system, and everyone will end up the same sooner or later.

So my point is that if MJ decided to fight the ATA usage, there's almost no chance to get it working again. If someone figures out all the MJ tricks, then probably there's a chance of patching Asterisk to work with MJ - but that would be hell of a work unless you're one of the Asterisk developers. And MJ can keep changing things every couple months making you to redo all that work...

Oh well, Im' due to renew for my 3rd year in a month. My dongle became unreliable since last November - it still works, but only sometimes. And since I can't use Asterisk any longer, I suppose MJ just lost $20/year from me...
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm the above. Changing "registry expire to 0" on my PAP2, allowed me to successfully register, again.

But all is not well. Incoming calls go straight to voicemail, outgoing gets a fast busy.
james1095
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you make/receive calls, or does that just get it to register?
james1095
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, maybe I should read the whole post Smile
connecting4less
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the same changed it to 0 on the softphone but no calls come in no outbound either

i am assuming that we are not getting the right password from the Stroth utility or something or might be some trick someone hopefully will figure out whats going on

my magicjack stopped working
i ran the credentials password was changed updated it on my ata everything working fine

but my uncle's and my dad's are not working
my dad's proxy is the same as mine and his password got changed and it wont register
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teddy_b wrote:
If someone figures out all the MJ tricks, then probably there's a chance of patching Asterisk to work with MJ - but that would be hell of a work unless you're one of the Asterisk developers.

It seems to me Dan could eliminate ATA usage if he wanted to. Simply by using times like these to identify failed authentications and terminate service. He used to terminate service 18 months ago. The threat of that kept a lot of people from trying an ATA.

Less draconian, it seems like the softphone could generate dynamic credentials. Like two-factor authentication.

1. At connection, receive from the provisioning server:
- Unique seed value for this connection.
- Heartbeat marker plus offset in seconds to next increment.

2. Every 30 seconds, the softphone increments the heartbeat marker (so the decimal value will match the server's).

3. For each re-authentication request (every 15 minutes?), the softphone generates a hash value using the unique seed and the incremented heartbeat marker. It sends that hash as the credential.

4. The server generates the same hash using the unique seed provided to the client, and 1) current marker value, 2) previous marker value, 3) next marker value (to account for time drift).

That wouldn't break the SIP protocol. But, it would require the server to be customized (assuming MJ uses Asterisk).

If an MJ user uses Asterisk as a client, they could modify it to simulate this softphone behavior.

But, the unique seed could be combined with some other unique (yet hard to find) piece of information during the prov1 handshake. Or, a "sub-key of the day" technique. One day it's your phone number. Another day it's your serial number. Another day your proxy IP address. Another day, two of those items joined together.

What's used could be signified by an ordinal value obtained from prov1, simply "encoding scheme." It could change with every connection.

MJ would just have to keep the unique seed and encoding scheme values on their server.

Of course, in the softphone these values (especially encoding scheme) should be stored in variables using non-descriptive names. "Last-Route-type". Something that wouldn't give away how the ordinal is used.

Mark
james1095
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connecting4less wrote:
i did the same changed it to 0 on the softphone but no calls come in no outbound either

i am assuming that we are not getting the right password from the Stroth utility or something or might be some trick someone hopefully will figure out whats going on

my magicjack stopped working
i ran the credentials password was changed updated it on my ata everything working fine

but my uncle's and my dad's are not working
my dad's proxy is the same as mine and his password got changed and it wont register

I find it really interesting that some people have managed to update and keep it working and others have not. I'm very curious to see whether those who have ATAs working lose that eventually, or whether those who have lost it are able to get it working once more.

In the meantime I've started researching other SIP providers, seems there's a dizzying array of available services, nothing in the same price range as MJ that I've found so far (as expected) but perhaps something out there is close. I don't need a lot of free minutes, just a reliable local number to receive incoming calls, with the ability to make outgoing calls that don't even have to be free/unlimited as I have unlimited evenings/weekends on my mobile phone.
Mr_Dasher
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two MJ's. One I bought in November and the other in April. Both have been updated.

I was using the November MJ's SIP info in my ATA and the the April's MJ's in Xlite. After the update I had to switch the ATA's SIP info with the newer MJ to get my ATA to work.

So either they haven't gotten to my newer number to make a change or they haven't monitor my account enough to determine that I'm using an ATA. I think it's only a matter of time.

I wouldn't mind using the dongle if it wasn't so unreliable. By using the ATA I had better sound and I never had a dropped call. I really don't think I can go back. I guess I'll have to start looking for other alternatives.

D

Last edited by Mr_Dasher on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Subscribe Reply with quote

Subscribe
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subscribe Reply with quote

GregD wrote:
Subscribe

???
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Dasher wrote:
I wouldn't mind using the dongle if it wasn't so unreliable. By using the ATA I had better sound and I never had a dropped call. I really don't think I can go back. I guess I'll have to start looking for other alternatives.

I'm not sure what an ATA device costs, but you can get a thin client for $60-$100. Or, redeploy an old, unused laptop and replace its hard drive with an ATA-to-CF flash adapter for $20-$40. The energy use between the two should be about the same (sitting idle most of the time, LCD not displaying).

Mark
iyassin
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Magicjack_utilities Reply with quote

mjsbz wrote:
I've got the new credentials after the update, but cannot register. Same as most people on here. Whats going on?

Magicjack_utilites is not working to get the sip credentials anymore. Anybody knows another way to get them? Thanks.
slimenem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm crying now! I just replaced my ata device 1 month ago cant return it now! Crying or Very sad
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack_utilities Reply with quote

iyassin wrote:
mjsbz wrote:

Magicjack_utilites is not working to get the sip credentials anymore. Anybody knows another way to get them? Thanks.

Try more than once. SIP credentials are pretty much useless for us at this point.
pagemen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they now reg. every 30 minutes(1800 seconds) instead of 15. Add "/lf logfile.txt" to the startup shortcut and check the logfile.

Ref:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/Splash_Screen
sesnut
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it still works for getting sip credentials, i had to change my time out from 3 to 7 to get it to work though

my pw changed and so did the user agent, but i still cant get my spa 2102 to reg
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: An open letter to Dan Reply with quote

OK Dan:
You finally turned off ATA access even though you clearly have a unique service that people desire to use with an ATA. I, for one, would gladly pay $60.00 a year to use my ATA legally with MagicJack.

Now that you have it fixed so that you can differentiate subscribers who use the dongle from those using ATAs, please offer an ATA (byod) service to those who pay for a premium account.

A premium account would allow ATA use whereas a standard account would not. Use the technology you have developed to prevent cheaters from using ATAs on standard accounts.

Sincerely
DTM
twice
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would gladly pay $60.00 a year to use my ATA legally with MagicJack.

yep allot would

twice
UncleRunkle
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domingo wrote:
well lets start looking for patterns , where the devices unlocked or did they come unlocked from where they were purchased ?

My mj is working fine on an ata so I will try and help as much as I can.

It has been mentioned before, but if you could take print screens of all of your configuration menus for your ata, it would help.
thisiskate
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay $60 for their crappy service. I would rather buy a OOMA...
james1095
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskate wrote:
I wouldn't pay $60 for their crappy service. I would rather buy a OOMA...

The service is only crappy when using the USB dongle. When it worked with an ATA, it was actually quite good. $60/year I'd pay. For me it's a secondary service, not really essential, I just prefer to hold a "real" phone than my cellphone when I'm around the house. $5/month is kind of the magic number for me, more than that and it's not really worth it.
stickfigurefred
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was excellent with ATA.
mjsbz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleRunkle wrote:
domingo wrote:
well lets start looking for patterns , where the devices unlocked or did they come unlocked from where they were purchased ?

My mj is working fine on an ata so I will try and help as much as I can.

It has been mentioned before, but if you could take print screens of all of your configuration menus for your ata, it would help.

YES!

Lets post some screenshots please.
macman4hire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A $60.00-100 dollar a year premium plan that would allow BYOD users to use MagicJack might be very successful addition to MagicJack's service offerings. I don't think MagicJack can sustain itself on just the hardware margins. It is a novelty item that some people will use and others will dispose of because of the bothersome usage limitations that USB poses. Once the potential pool of buyers dries up and has been exploited where will the revenue come from? Will the revenue possibly come from advertisements that will be displayed on the softphone. I seriously doubt it! The problem with this type of advertising model is that it can be misleading if a company like MagicJack states for example that 1 million ads are viewed a day by users of their softphone. This may in fact be true but what about the percentage people who legitimately use MagicJack on a dedicated thin client or computer that does not even have a display hooked up to. I personally would not spend my companies advertisement budget on such inaccurate claims. If the market for such advertisement truly exists why have I only seen ads pertaining to MagicJack on the softphone. Where are the advertisements? One may reasonable assume that MagicJack is waiting until all the techical difficulties have been worked and they can respresent the highest user figures inflating ads served on the softphone to potential advertisers. I don't believe this to be the case. Also one must factor the overall health of our economy into the advertising revenue outlook as companies are not foolishly tossing large sums of money into untested advertising vehicles at this time.

The second factor is overall VoIP market is becoming more competitive with every tick of the clock. Sipgate has just announce a service called Sipgate One which offers free USA phone numbers with many free forwarding options. Google Voice when publicly launched will crush the majority of the VoIP service providers for two simple reasons they give a free USA phone number with free forwarding options and several mays to place free local and long distance calls. Who will need to pay if Google rolls out Google Voice in the seem way as they offered their free G-Mail service. If Google Voice is not limited and truly accessible to everyone this changes everything the voice communications market period. I hope big Dan the man understands this and is not taking on the persona of carnival side show salesman selling a bottle of magical elixir for the easy buck!

Last edited by macman4hire on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: