magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Transfer Your Phone Number to magicJack!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Transfer Your Phone Number to magicJack! Reply with quote

A few days ago, I logged into my magicJack account at my.magicjack.com. On the "My Subscriptions" Tab, I noticed the new option which states "Transfer Your Phone Number to MagicJack" with a details button below.

Clicking that button allows you to submit a phone number to port into the service.

I haven't tried this myself since my current MJ number is my original home phone number. I am curious if anybody has seen this in their account and has attempted to port their landline telephone number into the service...

If only they would just hurry up and release the magicJack Plus!
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Skinflint
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this and yes it works. (There is a one time fee of $19.95). Although I did not have a landline number ported. Mine was VOip, (Vonage). It took a total of five days, (max is 10 business days according to MJ).
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you confirmed that the porting feature worked! I'm surprised that magicJack hasn't advertised that porting is now available. All of the informational signs, such as what's in Best Buy still don't mention the ability to keep a phone number when switching to the service. I imagine there's potential customers being lost because of this since the general public is not aware of the feature...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubecompmtdx wrote:
Glad you confirmed that the porting feature worked! I'm surprised that magicJack hasn't advertised that porting is now available. All of the informational signs, such as what's in Best Buy still don't mention the ability to keep a phone number when switching to the service. I imagine there's potential customers being lost because of this since the general public is not aware of the feature...

The magicjack website, magicjack.com, hasn't even updated their information yet. The FAQ's still say it's in beta and has the "click here to be added on a list and get notified later" tab STILL active. I worry about these guys sometimes.
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really shocked when I saw that MJ hasn't updated their FAQ page. Maybe it's some secret agreement between the phone companies and magicJack, LP. Release the porting option, but do not notify the public of it's availability?
Billy Gold
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Is it the future yet? Reply with quote

Thought you all might enjoy this recent exchange. Landline porting may be available, however, no amount of begging, pleading or reasoning could make it happen for me this evening. Enjoy the entire sorded details from the comfort of your sofa:

Monica: Hello, how may I help you?
billy: I would like to port my home number to a new Magic Jack
Monica: One moment please...
Monica: May I know if your home number service is still active?
billy: Yes
Monica: Okay
Monica: Please click here and login to your MJ account
Monica: Once you get there please go to My Subscriptions tab
Monica: and click "Details" button under TRANSFER YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO MAGICJACK™
billy: I just tried and the site told me to try again later.
Monica: I see..
Monica: Please try to transfer your home phone number to your MJ account after few minutes.
billy: It said "the future"....is that in a few minutes?
billy: We're sorry, your telephone number cannot be transferred at this time. Please check back in the future.
Monica: Please wait while I check that for you
billy: this is a relatively new feature...is it not?
Monica: No
billy: How long has number porting been available?
Monica: Number porting is already available.
Monica: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
billy: Transfer is Not Available We're sorry, your telephone number cannot be transferred at this time. Please check back in the future.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Hero'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK436025777125X
Hero: Hello my name is Hero. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
billy: Be a hero
Hero: Thanks for waiting.
billy: My pleasure
Hero: Can I have the phone number you wish to transfer to MJ and the phone carrier.
billy: 425 487 6813- Frontier
Hero: Thanks.
billy: don't mention it
Hero: I will provide you another link to submit a porting request Billy, actually our number porting feature is not yet fully released, but we have subscribers who have their numbers successfully ported in to MJ.
billy: That would be swell
Hero: Click here and provide the required infos <<<
billy: Thanks Hero. How long do you estimate?
Hero: I cannot provide you an exact time frame Billy, but I can assure you that someone will attend your request. I would suggest to please do check email from time to time to keep posted.
billy: A week? A month?
Hero: Okay, most likely it will take weeks, since we may need to contact the service provider on this matter.
billy: Wow. Why don't I have a dial tone?
Hero: Okay, lets fix that out for you.
Hero: Is your magicjack plugged in to the Computer you are chatting with me right now?
billy: Yep
Hero: Do you see the Magicjack pad on your screen?
billy: Nope- I closed it b/c there wasn't a dial tone anyway
Hero: Thats okay.
Hero: Can you pull that back up?
billy: got it
Hero: Alright, is it asking for your Email and password?
billy: Not yet
billy: One minute of patience...
billy: Starting magic...
billy: OK
billy: Comin' up
Hero: Good. Do you see the verification popup now?
billy: Yep
Hero: Alright, please provide infos.
Hero: The password should be the one that was sent to your email.
billy: All good now- thanks Hero
Hero: Alright, Im glad to hear that. My pleasure Billy.
Hero: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
billy: Can we put priority on that port? How come it only took 5 minutes to port my old landline to my cell?
Hero: Okay, I can report this to our telco dept regarding on your porting request. Please verify the number you provided earlier is currently a mobile number?
billy: It's my home number dude- I thought you read my initial request "I would like to port my home number to a new Magic Jack"
billy: I didn't mean to confuse you- I've got a separate cell # I'm keeping
billy: Cool?
Hero: Okay, just clarifying some infos.
Hero: I have made a report now regarding your request Billy.
billy: Right on!
Hero: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Hero: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
billy: Can we put priority on that port?
Hero: Yes, I have set my report on high priority Billy. I have escalated is already while we are on session..
billy: How come it only took 5 minutes to port my old landline to my cell and you're telling me it will take WEEKS??
billy: How long does this normally take?
Hero: Okay, the reason for this is that, our "number porting" is currently on beta testing, this is done to avoid flaws on its full release.
billy: Is it a problem that this is a landline I'm trying to port?
Hero: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Hero: I cannot be certain with that Billy, that is why I may need to report this for you so our telco engineers will look into this further. They will check your request why you encountered an error earlier upo submitting request through your account.
billy: Have you ever successfully ported a home number to your product Hero?
Hero: Yes, we have subscribers who have successfully ported their numbers to Magicjack.
billy: Home numbers? Landlines? I'm getting the feeling this is kinda new- no?
Hero: They are landline numbers Billy, but we have cases that mobile are ported in as well.
Hero: mobiles**
billy: Did it take weeks to transfer the landlines?
Hero: Okay, that exact details will be included on the notification email that will be sent to you once the request has been read and the porting of the number will be possible.
billy: How long does it usually take to port a landline to your product?
Hero: I cannot really provide an exact time frame on this matter, but once you received an email notification on this matter, it is required to have your existing landline number active so the process to run smoothly.,
billy: So I need to keep checking my email for the next "few weeks" until I see the notification? Would that make you happy if you were me?
Hero: I understand where you coming from on this matter, I have escalated your porting query already Billy, apart from the request you submitted earlier. Rest assured that you will get fine results on this matter.
billy: In a "few weeks"?
Hero: Unfortunately, we don't have any time frame and further details about this matter. Rest assured this will be marked priority on their end for you. Please check your email for any notification about this issue. Thank you for your time and patience.
billy: Shall I keep trying the online porting tool? I keep getting a message that says "Transfer is Not Available We're sorry, your telephone number cannot be transferred at this time. Please check back in the future."
billy: When does the future start Hero?
Hero: Yes, you may submit a request through your portal as well.
billy: Transfer is Not Available We're sorry, your telephone number cannot be transferred at this time. Please check back in the future.
billy: Am I wasting my time?
Hero: I will be right with you.
billy: Don't you need some kind of authorization to port a number...like the password on my account or something? What would keep a bad person from jacking my number??
Hero: Okay, that is why I am escalating this concern for you Billy, so someone will look into your request and check what might have caused for the request not possible this time. I have escalated your concern already earlier.
billy: Don't you need some kind of authorization to port a number...like the password on my account or something? What would keep a bad person from jacking my number??
billy: ...or an account number...something to prove I'm me??
billy: I'm really just trying to expedite the process
Hero: Yes we do require those infos, it will be our telco personnel who will retrieve it through your provider. We also require those same infos for MJ users who want their MJ ported out.
billy: Wouldn't it be faster if I just gave you that info?
billy: That's why I was asking if you ever successfully ported a home number to your product Hero. Just trying to save us both some time...really.
Hero: There is no problem with your account from Frontier, they can actually have that info, the main issue is that, why the port out request made through your account, there might be some reason behind it that we both are not certain of, and that is why I have gathered all the infos earlier and did escalate it for you.
billy: I don't remember your asking for my Frontier account number. I used to work at a cellular store, and we always needed that to port a landline number.
Hero: Someone will get in tough with you with further infos.
billy: Thanks for your time Hero.
Hero: Thank you for the time you have given me. I am done with the report on your issue and have forwarded this to our higher department already. Rest assured that you will get fine results on this matter, you will also receive an email notification for that as well.
billy: Is it the future yet?

So Hero's the top 10%- I am filled with confidence.
Is it the future yet?
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: FAQ Page Updated! Reply with quote

On the magicJack.com FAQ page, it now specifies how to transfer your number! check it out for yourself.

http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq/
V0X
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my google voice number ported successfully to magicjack. whole process took about 4 business days. I was pleasantly surprised.
pt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: DOES NOT WORK FOR CANADIANS YET Reply with quote

DOES NOT WORK FOR CANADIANS YET
StanR
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number port from ATT worked in Ohio. Took 10 days including Thanksgiving holiday. Just hooked up my whole house to the jack a few minutes ago.
Baboo71
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: It has some issues Reply with quote

I tried to port from Charter Communications. Got this message from magicjack this morning.. "Thank you for your recent request to port your telephone number (XXX) XXX-XXXX to magicJack.

Unfortunately, we are unable to port your telephone number because CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS has notified us that your telephone number is disconnected or no longer yours.

Should you resolve this problem in the future and still want to transfer your telephone number to your magicJack, please log into your magicJack account and initiate a new request by clicking on the “My Subscriptions” tab and then clicking “Transfer My Number”.

We hope you tell all of your friends and family about the savings you enjoy using your magicJack!

Sincerely,

magicJack Customer Care"

Something is amiss.. the number has not been disconnected and it still belongs to me. wtf?
alfredo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy this service, but the representative who was helping me was not able to answer this question clearly, so I canceled my order:

Once my home number has been ported to MagicJack, will I be able to send and receive phone calls from BOTH numbers, my existing Magic Jack number and my ported home phone number?

She could not provide a clear, straightforward answer to that.

Also, I asked: will the two numbers use the same dial pad (or window, or dialog box)? or do I need to open two windows?

She did not provide a clear, straightforward answer to that.

My impression is that, before a company launches a new service, all the representatives have to be well informed about the service, otherwise, it's not worthy.

So, I canceled my order to port my home number from Comcast to MJ.
Oh, well...
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: It has some issues Reply with quote

Baboo71 wrote:
I tried to port from Charter Communications. Got this message from magicjack this morning.. "Thank you for your recent request to port your telephone number (XXX) XXX-XXXX to magicJack.

Unfortunately, we are unable to port your telephone number because CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS has notified us that your telephone number is disconnected or no longer yours.

Should you resolve this problem in the future and still want to transfer your telephone number to your magicJack, please log into your magicJack account and initiate a new request by clicking on the “My Subscriptions” tab and then clicking “Transfer My Number”.

We hope you tell all of your friends and family about the savings you enjoy using your magicJack!

Sincerely,

magicJack Customer Care"

Something is amiss.. the number has not been disconnected and it still belongs to me. wtf?

If I were you, I'd contact Charter about this because it sounds like they're trying to prevent you from porting out your number by lying to MJ about the number not being in use. Telephone companies will do whatever it takes to stop you from leaving them, especially for an alternative like magicJack. Just contact Charter about porting out the number. They may charge a fee for porting out. Then try to transfer it to magicJack again.
cubecompmtdx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfredo wrote:
I tried to buy this service, but the representative who was helping me was not able to answer this question clearly, so I canceled my order:

Once my home number has been ported to MagicJack, will I be able to send and receive phone calls from BOTH numbers, my existing Magic Jack number and my ported home phone number?

She could not provide a clear, straightforward answer to that.

Also, I asked: will the two numbers use the same dial pad (or window, or dialog box)? or do I need to open two windows?

She did not provide a clear, straightforward answer to that.

My impression is that, before a company launches a new service, all the representatives have to be well informed about the service, otherwise, it's not worthy.

So, I canceled my order to port my home number from Comcast to MJ.
Oh, well...

Most likely, your transferred home number will be the default number. The original number may still remain in your account as a second number, but it won't be in use. Should you want to use the old number, you'd have to switch back to that number in your account settings.
alfredo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubecompmtdx wrote:
Most likely, your transferred home number will be the default number. The original number may still remain in your account as a second number, but it won't be in use. Should you want to use the old number, you'd have to switch back to that number in your account settings.

That's my point, then. I don't want to lose ANY of the two numbers, I would like to keep both, but apparently, this is not possible. How come I cannot keep both numbers working in Magic Jack? Why not another device or something so that I can use both numbers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: