magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touch tones not accepted by automated systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Touch tones not accepted by automated systems Reply with quote

Is anyone else unable to interact with automated systems? Anything that requires me to enter information from the keypad (accept the touch tones as input) simply doesn't recognize them correctly. I'm not sure what's happening, but I think it sometimes hears the tones twice. Often while entering the requested information, I will get cut-off early, like it's gotten all the digits it's expecting even though I'm not finished pressing them.

I would love a fix for this. I really don't think it's my phone, or the places I'm calling. I've tried it with two different cordless phones, one of which I had from my old home line that worked perfectly back then, and the other is brand new, bought to use with my Magic Jack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to me on some automated systems but not others.

It works for some of them.
gary
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I use the softphone and that works fine.
Sonan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary wrote:
Same here. I use the softphone and that works fine.

So I can just push the buttons on the application and then once the conference call is going, I can then wander the house. That works. I'd obviously prefer that it work from the phone, but I try not to complain too much when I'm paying so little for the service. Wink

Thanks for the replies.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonan,

"I try not to complain too much when I'm paying so little for the service."

That is the best advice one MJ user can give to another, plus it will help you keep your sanity. A big thumbs up to you Sonan.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen1969 wrote:
It happens to me on some automated systems but not others.

It works for some of them.

From one extreme to the other ... sometimes the tones are recognized SO WELL that the random tones you "hear" during a call actually cause certain actions in the system you called (as if YOU pressed the corresponding button on the phone, even though you didn't). Shocked

Sonan wrote:

I'd obviously prefer that it work from the phone, but I try not to complain too much when I'm paying so little for the service. Wink

Yeah, that's part of the eternal Beta. Rolling Eyes
EagleBoy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonan wrote:
So I can just push the buttons on the application and then once the conference call is going, I can then wander the house. That works.

Yup. And if entering long numbers makes you tired of moving the mouse around the soft phone, just click in the white window above the touchpad and use your number keys on the keyboard. Works very well for me.

-Matt
Sonan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that my wife tested using the softphone for connecting to a conference call yesterday and it worked. Thanks again for the tips, including the new one about using the keyboard rather than clicking.
Vulture1340
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
Sonan,

"I try not to complain too much when I'm paying so little for the service."

That is the best advice one MJ user can give to another, plus it will help you keep your sanity. A big thumbs up to you Sonan.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this post maybe it might help, it starts by talking about calling cards but keep reading and you will notice it touches on this subject.It is a problem on MJ's side that apparently still has not been fixed,I have had this problem since I got my MJ but noticed it only does it on some automated systems and on others it works fine.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/calling-card-t428.html
Sonan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, curiousgeorge. I'll watch that thread for replies as well, just in case.
bigbear78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to call 1-800 numbers dial the 1-800number using any phone with MJ and than use the softphone on computer to put in your personal info like for example I called Verizonwireless 1-800-922-0204 using my cordless phone plugged into MJ and it wouldn't recognize my cell number but after using the softphone on my computer to put in the cell number it worked! Very Happy
kmpatel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed (i tested this by calling my cellphone), that the touchtones last for a short time (about 1 sec) even as you keep hold the phone key down. I think that, for some reason, the MJ phone service truncates the tones. in fact, if someone (a non MJ customer) on the other end tries to send a tone over the connection, the tone is also truncated.

if my observations are correct and not a fluke with my phone, then for remote system that responds to touchtones in less than 1 sec, MJ will work fine, but systems that require sustained tones (exceeding 1 sec), then MJ will not work. I talked (chatted really), with MJ rep about it. He/she could not confirm anything about the technicals, but (s)he stated that MJ is 'incompatible with home security systems'.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Working Now Reply with quote

I connected with support and they said they changed the DTMF sensitivity. It worked!!! We will now see if it lasts (I saw other posts that said they had to keep calling every 2 months or so Sad.

Would be nice if they just reset this DTMF for everyone automatically. I've been dealing with this for years and finally looked into see if any possible fixes. I first tried the "REMOVE SIP FROM ALS" on my router but that did not work. I set it back after MJ changed my settings. Keeping my fingers crossed. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: