magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tool to make MagicJack run as a Windows Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSport1966
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etvaugha wrote:
So I had made a blog post on my site about download tracking for this app. Some guy posted this as a comment:

"This screwed up my magicjack and my processes. I could not system restore to make it work again , Thanks alot for being vague and not stating what to do if it screws up. "

I found this kind of funny, given the fact that I've spent so much time helping people, not only on this forum but also by email and PM.
This guy was definitely an ass. You don't ask for anything in exchange for your hard work. I create ROMs for Windows Mobile phones and occasionally, we get the same type of person. I don't ask for anything in exchange, and they act like they are owed something. I do my best to answer any questions or help in any way I can, but sometimes there are people that you can never make happy.
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not work with Windows 7 64-Bit.. No dial tone.
Oh well.
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitemare wrote:
Oh well.

Yeah it looks like 64-bit is out for the time being. Sad I'll put a note on the page...
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etvaugha wrote:
nitemare wrote:
Oh well.

Yeah it looks like 64-bit is out for the time being. Sad I'll put a note on the page...

Interesting observation I had. When installing MagicJack on XP it did the update. Then I moved it to Windows 7 64bit and it updated again. Then back to the XP machine and it updated again. So it looks like there is a different magicjack.exe for XP and Windows 7 64bit.
SKE_webmaster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Checking my understanding of posts Reply with quote

I have been reading your post about running MJ as a service with this software. I just want to make sure I have understood. Confused

I have the MJ 2.0 downloaded to my dogle and MagicFeatures 2.02 installed.

My understanding of what is posted here is, the MSC_17 program will run my MJ as a service and allow my MagicFeatures 2 to also be used at the same time.

Is this correct? Shocked

If so, you have made my year. Very Happy
SuperSport1966
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etvaugha wrote:
nitemare wrote:
Oh well.

WooHoo! Got it working on my Win 7 64bit. There might be an easier way, but this is exactly what I did, and it now works as a Service. Maybe this will help to diagnose what needs to be modified in "MSC_17"?

This looks harder than it really is...

1. Use MSC_17 to Uninstall the Service if it's not already.

2. Uninstall MagicJack using Control Panel, Programs and Features.

3. Unplug MagicJack from USB

4. Delete the folder C:\mjusbsp

5. Restart your computer

6. Plug in your MagicJack and allow it to Update

7. Make sure the MagicJack operates as it should

8. Use MSC_17 to Set MagicJack as Service

9. Browse to C:\mjusbsp

10. Right Click and select Properties on cdloader2.exe

11. Select Compatibility Tab

12. Click 'Change settings for all users'

13. 'Check Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows Vista (Service pack 2)'

14. Check 'Run this program as an administrator'

15. Click 'OK' button and Click 'OK' again.

16. Repeat steps 10-15 on the following additional files:
instsrv.exe
magicJack.exe
magicJackLoader.exe
magicJackSplash.exe
srvany.exe

17. Restart your computer

18. Hopefully, it now works for you as it does for me. Wink

PS: Please try at your own risk. No complaining if it does not work or kills your computer...
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSport1966 wrote:
etvaugha wrote:
nitemare wrote:
Oh well.

WooHoo! Got it working on my Win 7 64bit. There might be an easier way, but this is exactly what I did, and it now works as a Service. Maybe this will help to diagnose what needs to be modified in "MSC_17"?

This looks harder than it really is...

1. Use MSC_17 to Uninstall the Service if it's not already.

2. Uninstall MagicJack using Control Panel, Programs and Features.

3. Unplug MagicJack from USB

4. Delete the folder C:\mjusbsp

5. Restart your computer

6. Plug in your MagicJack and allow it to Update

7. Make sure the MagicJack operates as it should

8. Use MSC_17 to Set MagicJack as Service

9. Browse to C:\mjusbsp

10. Right Click and select Properties on cdloader2.exe

11. Select Compatibility Tab

12. Click 'Change settings for all users'

13. 'Check Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows Vista (Service pack 2)'

14. Check 'Run this program as an administrator'

15. Click 'OK' button and Click 'OK' again.

16. Repeat steps 10-15 on the following additional files:
instsrv.exe
magicJack.exe
magicJackLoader.exe
magicJackSplash.exe
srvany.exe

17. Restart your computer

18. Hopefully, it now works for you as it does for me. Wink

PS: Please try at your own risk. No complaining if it does not work or kills your computer...

Very nice work. It seems to me though that all you would need to do is install the service, set compatability mode on magicJack.exe, and restart the machine. Some of the files you listed are not even used when MJ is run as a service so setting comaptability on them shouldn't matter.

I will get some semblence of these steps posted on my site, or idealy, update the program to automatically set the compatbility attributes on these files for 64-bit setups.
SuperSport1966
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etvaugha wrote:
Very nice work. It seems to me though that all you would need to do is install the service, set compatability mode on magicJack.exe, and restart the machine. Some of the files you listed are not even used when MJ is run as a service so setting comaptability on them shouldn't matter.

I will get some semblence of these steps posted on my site, or idealy, update the program to automatically set the compatbility attributes on these files for 64-bit setups.
That's VERY possible. I got it to work, and did not want to change anything from what I did so others could use it. I will now remove the attributes from the others and see if it still works. Thank you for pointing this out, as it is obviously easier to do... Wink

EDIT: You are 100% Correct. It works with ONLY setting Compatibility Mode on the MagicJack.exe file. Don't even need Run as Administrator set. Thanks again, this will speed up the next time I need to do this.
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 32 bit it works fine except with all the testing i did with it running it as a service with this program you do lose audio loudness to a point. When removed from service audio level is louder by far, Why i don't know but i tried it with a few Vista 32 bit users in different states. Running it not as a service and using a Hawkings QOS booster between the modem and router makes the MJ kick ass in audio and everything else!.
POBrien21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Win7 64-bit Reply with quote

Just checking in to see if you have a fix for windows 7 64-bit. Changing the Magicjack.exe to compatability mode didn't work for me. Thanks again.
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Win7 64-bit Reply with quote

POBrien21 wrote:
Just checking in to see if you have a fix for windows 7 64-bit. Changing the Magicjack.exe to compatability mode didn't work for me. Thanks again.

No 64-bit fix yet, aside from the steps listed above which don't work for everyone. I have been busy with other projects but will eventually try to resolve this.
proteus007
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Works for me on Windows 7 64!!! Reply with quote

I installed the service and changed the compatibility mode as instructed in the previous post (did not even uninstall and reinstall MJ first) restarted the PC and it all worked like a charm ... exactly as if the softphone was active, no issues with audio loudness or anything else. If of any importance I was running the new MJ software 2.00.

My system:

Dell Studio XPS 435T

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I7 920 2.67 Ghz

8 Gb Memory
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: THE NEXT STEP FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CAN'T GET IT TO WORK YET Reply with quote

Hello,

Well, I have been trying to get this to work for a long time now and have read many posts and tried many things and could never seem to get it to work.

From another post, I used semicharm's initial steps with the Vista/Windows7 modifications as suggested by Gospelific. Still couldn't get it to work. Then I put out a call for help on that thread and arcadia2uk suggested that I come over here and look at the compatibility suggestion that SuperSport1966 came up with.

Well, that still did not get my MagicJack running as a service, BUT I DID NEED ALL OF THAT INFORMATION TO GET ME TO THE LAST STEP. So, thank you to all of you for your help, including etvaugha who has spent a lot of time on this stuff.

MY SYSTEM: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

WHAT IT FINALLY TOOK TO GET IT WORKING:

- it seems as though I had an issue with Windows 7 User Account Controls. It's as if the computer needed me to give it permission to run the program (even in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and with run as administrator set), but would not (could not?) prompt for permission when the service was started.

THE FIX:

1. Under My Computer, go into either:
a. C:\users\default\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp (using semicharm/Gospelific's method) - OR -
b. C:\mjusbsp (using etvaugha's method)
2. Right Click on magicJack.exe and select PROPERTIES
3. Click on the SECURITY TAB
4. Click on EDIT (in the middle of the window)
5. Click on ADD (in the middle of the next window)
6. Type INTERACTIVE in the area titled Enter the object names to select (examples):
7. Select OK
8. In the list of Group or user names:, click on INTERACTIVE once and make sure the "Read & execute" and "Read" have a check mark in the allow column.
9. Select OK
10. Select OK again
11. Either reboot or stop and restart the magicJack process

The process is a little slow to start, so give it a minute.

I hope this fix helps someone else as so many of your fixes got me to the point where my MagicJack is running as a service.

Thank you,

Jim
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Windows 7 x64 now as well.

I helped Evan long ago in testing this awesome utility and in the end he made an awesome program that worked everytime.

However, the x64 problem has plagued many of us now.

I have tried every suggestion in this thread and can only get a temporarily working system.

If I install the service, the cd and usb MJ drives seem to disable themselves...
I must then unplug and replug them in to get them recognized, then the service will work. (this also requires turning UAC off and setting the compatibility)

So then the service works, but it rarely survives a reboot of the system.

If the system is rebooted, I must unplug and replug the dongle again, however it will only start working about half the time.
the other half the entire process must be redone to get back to 'kinda working' status.

I have missed so many phone calls and such because the device would disappear randomly and I wouldn't even realize until I tried to use the phone myself.

It would seem the 2 MJ drives disappearing would be the cause of many of the dead-line issues people are having.

Has anyone been able to get this to work and survive all reboots?
does anyone else have this issue of the mj drives not initializing correctly when attempting to use as a service?

The dongle works fine every time when installed normally, it only starts disappearing after the service install.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I ave also tried the ABC_Deploy 64 bit service tool and it doesn't apprear to work correctly at all, at least with Evan's tool and a few adjustments, the service will work for awhile.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this and get a true working solution for everyone, this stupid MJ dialer is driving me insane!

Thanks!
proteus007
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: MJ as a service Reply with quote

As I said in my last post MJ works great as a service in my Win7 64, now I am not a techie and I simply followed in some way the etvaugha instructions.

As to why it works for some and not for others I am not sure but after reading the post by 4plus3vette I have a sense that it has to do the "users accounts" for the following reasons:

I don't have any other user accounts in my PC and the administrator account for me has no password. When I turn on my PC I don't have any "user account" to click on or enter any passwords ... it just takes me directly to my desktop where my MJ works fine as a service.

However if I put my PC to sleep when I awake it, for some reason, I have to click on the "user account" to proceed (I still need not to input a password since I did not set up one) and then MJ does not work as a service and I get no dial tone. So I need to restart the PC where I don't have to click on any "user account" or enter any passwords and ... you guessed .. it works again.

Now I am not suggesting that if the dog barks and then it rains therefore the dog made it rain, but it does suggest a correlation between what it does seem to make it work and what I know for sure breaks it, if only in this particular case.

Also, I have not tried to set up my PC with a password on start up, or other user accounts because I don't need it, because I need to have the PC on until I go to sleep anyway and because it is never a good idea to try to fix something that it's not broken. But given all that I have experienced as described above my bet would be this problem is related to "user accounts" and/or passwords.

-Sal
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read every post before I downloaded it, silly me. Can anyone confirm that MagicFeatures won't work with this running? Thanks.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ as a service Reply with quote

proteus007 wrote:
As I said in my last post MJ works great as a service in my Win7 64, now I am not a techie and I simply followed in some way the etvaugha instructions.

As to why it works for some and not for others I am not sure but after reading the post by 4plus3vette I have a sense that it has to do the "users accounts" for the following reasons:

I don't have any other user accounts in my PC and the administrator account for me has no password. When I turn on my PC I don't have any "user account" to click on or enter any passwords ... it just takes me directly to my desktop where my MJ works fine as a service.

However if I put my PC to sleep when I awake it, for some reason, I have to click on the "user account" to proceed (I still need not to input a password since I did not set up one) and then MJ does not work as a service and I get no dial tone. So I need to restart the PC where I don't have to click on any "user account" or enter any passwords and ... you guessed .. it works again.

Now I am not suggesting that if the dog barks and then it rains therefore the dog made it rain, but it does suggest a correlation between what it does seem to make it work and what I know for sure breaks it, if only in this particular case.

Also, I have not tried to set up my PC with a password on start up, or other user accounts because I don't need it, because I need to have the PC on until I go to sleep anyway and because it is never a good idea to try to fix something that it's not broken. But given all that I have experienced as described above my bet would be this problem is related to "user accounts" and/or passwords.

-Sal

I have UAC turned off, account control is not an issue unless another user group needs additional permissions for some reason.

this doesn't seem to be the case as it does work, just does not stay working for long...

I really wish I could get this working 100% again, it seems to only be an issue with x64 systems?

by the way, if you don't want to 'log in' after sleeping, do the following:
1.) right click desktop and select "Personalize".
2.) at the bottom right of the Personalization window, click "Screen Saver".
3.) near the bottom, click "Change power settings".
4.) on the left, click "Require a password on wakeup".
5.) set your power settings and select "Don't require a password".
6.) click "save changes".

NOTE: you may need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to access these options, depending on your security settings. (They may be grayed out. If so, just click the link right above them to unlock them)
gordoncanada
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Won't run as service 64 bit Reply with quote

Great product. It worked on my 32 bit OS, but when I run it on my 64 bit OS the phone no longer gets a dial tone. Tried "Alwaysup" but the same thing happened. Is there a problem getting Magic Jack to run as a service in 64 bit (Windows 7)?
Thanks
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't run as service 64 bit Reply with quote

gordoncanada wrote:
Great product. It worked on my 32 bit OS, but when I run it on my 64 bit OS the phone no longer gets a dial tone. Tried "Alwaysup" but the same thing happened. Is there a problem getting Magic Jack to run as a service in 64 bit (Windows 7)?
Thanks

...lol
proteus007
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ as a service Reply with quote

DreadFury wrote:
proteus007 wrote:

-Sal

I have UAC turned off, account control is not an issue unless another user group needs additional permissions for some reason.

this doesn't seem to be the case as it does work, just does not stay working for long...

I really wish I could get this working 100% again, it seems to only be an issue with x64 systems?

NOTE: you may need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to access these options, depending on your security settings. (They may be grayed out. If so, just click the link right above them to unlock them)

Yeah U were right I did what U suggested about UAC and now I don't have to click on anything if I was to put the PC to sleep. However, for some reason, going into sleep mode disables MJ even after I wake up the PC.
gordoncanada
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Doesn't work on 64 bit Reply with quote

Hello,
I find this program works perfectly 32 bit. I also run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and after running the program Magic Jack has no dial tone. It returns to normal after pressing "remove Windows Service."
Any ideas?
proteus007
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't work on 64 bit Reply with quote

gordoncanada wrote:
Hello,
I find this program works perfectly 32 bit. I also run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and after running the program Magic Jack has no dial tone. It returns to normal after pressing "remove Windows Service."
Any ideas?

Gordon it works a lot better if everybody would make an effort to read the thread before posting a question.

As this was your second time asking this question you failed to notice that somebody else already answered you with a "Lol", which was, in my opinion, a perfectly understandable reaction to your question.

So let me help here to the extent that I can ...

Gordon, all you need to do is look anywhere above your post to realize that your question has been asked already and has been talked about at length.

If you do bother to read the thread you'll find out that someone already has found a solution although it seems to work for some (like me) and not for others.

However if you're still not going to take the considerable effort and time required of you to actually read the thread then there is another solution ... contact the front desk and submit a formal request. Someone will contact you when your issue has been resolved and will forward you an easy to understand instruction on what to do.

-Sal
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't work on 64 bit Reply with quote

gordoncanada wrote:
Hello,
Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

Did you try this on your 64-bit Windows 7 setup?

a. C:\users\default\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp (using semicharm/Gospelific's method) - OR -
6. Type INTERACTIVE in the area titled Enter the object names to select (examples):
7. Select OK
8. In the list of Group or user names:, click on INTERACTIVE once and make sure the "Read & execute" and "Read" have a check mark in the allow column.
9. Select OK
10. Select OK again

That is what finally made it work for me.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't work on 64 bit Reply with quote

4plus3vette wrote:
gordoncanada wrote:
Hello,
Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

Did you try this on your 64-bit Windows 7 setup?

7. Select OK
9. Select OK
10. Select OK again

That is what finally made it work for me.

I tried this and it personally made no difference.
I had no security/account issues with it, I just can't get the dongle to survive a reboot/sleep.

Can you reboot your computer and/or sleep/wake it and still have your MJ work every single time?
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used sleep modes. With my set-up, I shut my machine down every night.

Since I got it working, it comes up every time and works the whole time the machine is on.

ETA: It works consistently on reboots as well.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4plus3vette wrote:
I have never used sleep modes. With my set-up, I shut my machine down every night.

Since I got it working, it comes up every time and works the whole time the machine is on.

ETA: It works consistently on reboots as well.

strange, I wish I could get this to work for me as well, but everytime I think it is finally working it dies and I have missed who knows how many calls.

I will try to play with it more this weekend and see if I can get some better results.

can you tell me anything else that might give a hint as to how you got your success?

any other steps you took?

where is the dongle plugged in? are you using the extension?

thanks!
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much followed this format from semi-charm:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-as-a-service-a-better-way-t1364.html (make sure you are on the first post)

Then I made the Vista/Windows 7 Mods as pointed out by Gospelific which are later in that post, but made the following changes in steps 4 and 7:

4) Open My Computer and go to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming*
and move the mjusbsp folder to
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming*

AND

7) Run regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\MagicJack
Right click the MagicJack key, choose New>Key, and name it Parameters.
Now in the Parameters key, right click, choose New>String Value, and name it Application.
Double click the Application value and set it to: "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "X:\magicJack"

--- where X is the second MagicJack drive letter you found earlier, then click OK.

Then arcadia2uk suggested that I come to this link and that is where I found SuperSport1966's suggestion to modify the magicjack.exe file for Windows XP SP2 compatibility and to Run as Administrator.

Then after lots of playing around, I finally got it going by adding the INTERACTIVE settings as stated earlier.

PROBABLY THIS BIGGEST THING that helped me was when semicharm said to try these TROUBLESHOOTING steps (I FOCUSED IN ON STEP 3, BUT I USED A SHORTCUT AND RAN THE COMMAND DIRECTLY FROM A COMMAND PROMPT - EXPERIMENTING WITH AN ADMINISTRATOR CMD PROMPT AND A NORMAL USER CMD PROMPT IS WHAT LED ME TO THE PATH ABOUT PERMISSIONS):

TROUBLESHOOTING:
If you've completed all of the steps and still can get it working, try the following:

1) Check that the MagicJack service is running. If not, try starting it.
- If it still doesn't start, make sure step 6 was completed correctly.

2) Open the Task Manager, click the Processes tab, and check if magicjack.exe is running.
- If it is, end the magicjack.exe process.

3) Edit or create a shortcut for MagicJack. Change the Target field to

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "X:\magicJack"

where X is the second MagicJack drive letter you found earlier. Change the Start in field to

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mjusbsp\"

a) If the shortcut works correctly, run regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\MagicJack\Parameters
and correct the value for Application. Stop the magicjack.exe process and restart the MagicJack service.

b) If it shortcut doesn't work either, make sure that the mjusbsp folder is in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data", that the drive letter is correct, and that everything in the shortcut was entered correctly. Note that there IS a space between "/scf" and "_magicJackPersonalDataRoot"!

Good luck getting it going.

Jim

ETA: The dongle is plugged into one of my front USB ports (not a USB hub) and the magicJack is plugged directly into that. I have read that you don't need the dongle. I think it is just an extension cord.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've done all this a few times and even altered the setup a few time trying to fix the situation.

this is basically what Evan's tool does as well, with slight changes to the path he stores the files.

I can get the service running fine, everytime.
sometimes after a reboot all is well too, but eventually it just stops working and I can't figure out why.

I know you don't need the dongle, but I don't have any other equipment to use.
I don't have a modem jack and I don't have any other ATA/VOIP device to mangle together. so I NEED the dongle to plug my phone in.

I am not really sure where the problem lies, it is annoying.

Thanks for the info, I will give it another go this weekend.
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the next set of questions that I would pose to you would be:

How long have you been using Windows 7 and how much stuff do you have loaded on to it? Would it be more than ridiculous for you to re-install Windows 7?

The machine that I am running my MagicJack on was pretty new, but I spent several days installing SW to get it up and running like the machine that it replaced, so I considered reinstalling the OS to be too much bother.

If you really want this thing running and it is not an enormous pain to reinstall the OS, I would consider doing that.

Then, I would install MJ as one of the first things to put on. Use Evan's tool as it seems to be the easiest way to do it.

See if you can go into sleep mode and then back to a running state to see what happens.

Now start putting your programs back on one at a time. Start with the more common SW like Office, Firefox, ... See how it runs.

Lastly, install the odd-ball software that may be more likely to interfere with MJ.

That is what I would consider next.

It sucks, I know.

P.S. You could consider uninstalling questionable SW first to see if that helps. It may save you a re-install of the OS.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this all started happening after a brand new install.
I went from winxp 32 to win7 64.

MJ was the first thing I installed after my hardware drivers and the service (attempt) was right after.

the machine is used as a file server, PVR/Media server, and for the MJ. (I also use it to watch TV) and I have already setup all this software.

reinstalling would be a huge issue as setting up everything for the TV server is a long process with many things needing tweaking and setting up.

I have tried the MJ on another win7 x64 machine with the exact same results.

Of course, on all 32 machines I have tried this on, it works perfectly.

I honestly don't think there is anything installed that would conflict with the MJ, it has nothing but the same software (a lot less I might add) as before, but now is running 64bit.

the MJ service works fine when it works, like I said the dongle hardware seems to be 'ejected' and is disabled until a removal.

resetting the PC does not help, I have yet to unplug the machine itself to see if cutting ALL power the the MJ will allow it to work again on reboot, but I suspect that the device is being 'safely removed' and wont initialize until all power has been cut (usb thumb drives do this as well, they must be unplugged before they will initialize again, and the dongle contains a usb drive)

I know srvany.exe has 64bit issues as well, so I am suspecting the root of the problem probably lies here.

I will try a few things this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I just wish the util to hide the UI shared on this forum didn't cost money, I think it is ridiculous they charge for a util they used to give away for free that does something so 'simple' and I refuse to break down and pay for something out of desperation, which seems to be the authors intent.

I had minimal success trying to mess with the task manager as suggested by someone earlier, but it had unsavory side-effects (like mjsetup.exe always running in the background, sometimes multiple times)
I will give it a go again and see what happens.

if that doesn't work, I am going to try to just write a program in VB or AHK to hide the stupid thing myself.

I already wrote a super simple one which works, except the focus is still dropped from the main window, which is unacceptable, especially when you're watching tv.
It seems the MJ UI not only pushes itself on top, it uses a specific call to drop focus, almost like sabotage.

I used my script on many other things that 'steal focus' and it works fine, but not with MJ...

Seriously MJ.Com, why do you hate your customers so?

If I succeed creating a working util, I will share it FOR FREE (just as Evan has with his util).
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreadFury wrote:
I know srvany.exe has 64bit issues as well, so I am suspecting the root of the problem probably lies here.

Does Microsoft have any documentation on this problem? For the most part, srvany should work on a 64-bit machine.
DreadFury
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etvaugha wrote:
DreadFury wrote:

Does Microsoft have any documentation on this problem? For the most part, srvany should work on a 64-bit machine.

Nothing official I can find other than vague statements of 'it isn't supported'.
If you google 'srvany.exe x64' you will find many topics about problems and things 'not working' and how it is 'not supported for x64 and there is no x64 version'

you'll also find several 3rd party alternatives which claim to overcome this, but the usage is slightly different.

Vista/7 also comes with it's own srvany-type util built into windows which fully supports x64.

I seem to be having success using the internal method but am not confident enough to share yet, after testing for a couple days I will share my results.

I am also trying to simplify it using the task scheduler to assign the service, because using the gui will make it easier for others to follow compared to cli.

so far, so good. (working since yesterday and 5 reboots, fingers crossed.)
babaganoosh
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to see the log of calls without reversing all of this? is there a text file? web page?
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babaganoosh wrote:
is there a way to see the log of calls without reversing all of this? is there a text file? web page?

No. Confused
jcrayamsterdam
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ as a service Reply with quote

proteus007 wrote:
DreadFury wrote:
proteus007 wrote:

-Sal

Yeah U were right I did what U suggested about UAC and now I don't have to click on anything if I was to put the PC to sleep. However, for some reason, going into sleep mode disables MJ even after I wake up the PC.

Hi guys,

I tried the revised instructions and the MJ works for a short time but after a day or so I cannot make outbound calls and when someone calls the line I hear a VERY long ring. If we pick up to answer nothing happens. Removing the service returns everything to normal.

Anyone have this issue?

J
newtoncd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ as a service Reply with quote

jcrayamsterdam wrote:

Hi guys,

I tried the revised instructions and the MJ works for a short time but after a day or so I cannot make outbound calls and when someone calls the line I hear a VERY long ring. If we pick up to answer nothing happens. Removing the service returns everything to normal.

Anyone have this issue?

J

Look at the last four or five topics and that will give you a hint.
jsherk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as hiding the splash screen and the popup screen, I found the following tool called AutoSizer ... it works with any window you have, not just magicJack, and it will even minimize the annoying splash screen that appears when you first start up mj.

http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

I tried all the other tools (magicBlock, magicSilence and magicHide) but I prefer this AutoSizer tool the best.

It has nothing to do with running mj as a service, it just minimizes the window.
packee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress of Win7 x64? I have since upgraded to X64 from X32(so I can use all my ram fully) Tool ran great in x32 mode, but now like most others have posted, it installs fine and gets dial tone, but wont dial in or dial out. I also tried the sugg in the previous posts and still no go. Would love to use your program again, seems now calls are choppy and inconsistant running it as a program.
yazyazoo
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsherk wrote:
As far as hiding the splash screen and the popup screen, I found the following tool called AutoSizer ... it works with any window you have, not just magicJack, and it will even minimize the annoying splash screen that appears when you first start up mj.

http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

I tried all the other tools (magicBlock, magicSilence and magicHide) but I prefer this AutoSizer tool the best.

It has nothing to do with running mj as a service, it just minimizes the window.

I tried AutoSizer which works at first. However when a call comes in the MJ Splash screen comes back up and doesn't minimize again.

Any suggestions?
jsherk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Window Searching Option set to MATCH EXACT TITLE.

Sometimes it will popup when a call comes in but it always goes away.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this tool or running as a windows service in general affect the power saving modes of windows 7?

I know MJ in general disables Sleep in XP and I assume it did the same in W7. however I noticed I can still initiate sleep on my W7 64 when running as a service but as such incoming calls go to voicemail and do not wake the computer.

What is the best way to power save and keep MJ working? My MJ is running on an htpc.

Sorry if I am a poor searcher and it has been discussed before.
tgglenn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: msc17 Reply with quote

Evan...When I click on the file I get the error message "unable to find version of runtime to run this application". I just installed .net framework ver4, running Windows XP Service Pack 3. Any ideas on this. I tried searc on this but did not see anything previously posted. Thanks.
etvaugha
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: msc17 Reply with quote

tgglenn wrote:
Evan...When I click on the file I get the error message "unable to find version of runtime to run this application". I just installed .net framework ver4, running Windows XP Service Pack 3. Any ideas on this. I tried searc on this but did not see anything previously posted. Thanks.

I have not heard of this problem before. You could try searching Google for that error message. It isn't a message from my program. Perhaps there is a problem with your .NET framework installation.
tgglenn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: msc17 Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply! I knew I hadn't seen anything posted on that message. It is referring to dll files. May have a corrupt download of the .net. Will delete and re-install. Thanks again.
timnop
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Same error Reply with quote

I have the same error, can't find the runtime file. Did uninstall and re-install of framework fix the problem?
dida2010
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, everything working fine. Smile
caciavar
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Working flawlessly Reply with quote

I've got this working flawlessly in Windows 7 64-bit. It works after a computer restart, even before logging in (while at user login screen).

I followed all the instructions to grant INTERACTIVE group permissions to read and execute the majicJack.exe. For good measure I also run this in compatibility mode and run it as administrator (not sure if that matters as I haven't tested it yet).

ALSO (here's the key), instead of installing the service using etvaugha's method / utility, I used firedaemon to create the service to run magicJack.exe as a service.

Work's beautifully! Combined with orkAudio for recording calls, it's amazing!
gmc90
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trouble at all with Win7 64 bit install, following procedures to run as Admin on all user profiles.

However, one question, and one "experience" I will relate - maybe can save someone some minor trouble.

What happened:
I'm new to MJ. SO I installed the MJ device, installed the SW, tested it, got my phone number, all is well. Installed MSC_17. Followed SuperSport1966's instructions, worked perfectly.

Then, to get my wiring the way I wanted it, I pulled the MJ dongle, strung wires, and then plugged back in. My machine then re-installed the SW, which disabled the MSC_17 package and made the MJ SW not work either. No worries, did 5 minutes of uninstalling/reinstalling, and was back in business. But in retrospect, I think I'll power down my machine before unplugging the MJ dongle in the future.

Could very easily be my machine's setup that caused this. I am not blaming this excellent SW package!

Now my question:
As I'm a newbie to MJ, how do I set up VM, and access it, if I cannot use the normal SW app?

Did we ever get a read on whether the MSC_17 package works with Magic Features?
rtaite
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Newbie here... not elegant, but it does work Win 7 64bit Reply with quote

All,

I run MagicJack on a PC that stays on all the time. I use Windows Professional 7. I have no clue if this works on all versions of Windows, but it is easy and despite not being as clean as running MJ as a service, it works and will also allow you to add the Magic Features software suite without fear that it will somehow not work once MJ is run as a service.

It's so simple and I apologize if others have already suggested it.

Here it is:

1) Unplug your MJ USB adapter.
1) Using Administrative Tools under Control Panel, create a new login called Magicjack. Also if you aren't currently using a login for Windows 7, create a login for yourself which is a local Administrator on your machine. At this point, you should have at least two logins: your personal login ("Me" and "Magicjack").
2) Log out of your current "Me" session in Win 7. Log in as "Magicjack"
3) Plug your MJ USB adapter in.
4) Let the MJ window come up. Make sure it is working.
5) Install any other software which you might like to use with the MJ such as Magic Features. Make sure the add ons are working.
6) Now click Start and select the Switch User command to return to your "Me" session while leaving "Magicjack" still active. The Switch User command is part of the expanded Log Out menu.
7) Log in to your "Me" session.

Now, obviously, any time you have to reboot the machine, you would have to go through the process of logging into Magicjack first and then Me second, but it is a rock solid method and should work for every flavor of Windows. Again, it isn't as clean as running as a service, but it is very stable and lets you run third party MJ applications with complete confidence.

My $0.02,

Ralph
jrankin229
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Help- no dial tone -but service is running -OS Server 2008 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am trying to run the tool and do see the service running and majic jacks splash screen has disappeared but there is no dial tone and even when I dial a rumber it does not dial. Not sure what to do here...

Any sugjestions

I know the program was built to run on XP and windows 7 but figured Server 2008 has same architecture as Windwos 7.

please reply or e-mail [email protected]

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: