magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still working GREAT for *me*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Still working GREAT for *me* Reply with quote

VERY much to my surprise, I have to admit that my MJ service (2 numbers, one on an old "standard" MJ device and an installed MJ app on an iPod Touch, and the other on a MJ+ connected directly to my router) continues to work GREAT after 2 years.

After 1 year of great service on the old MJ device I renewed for 5 years ($100) and haven't yet had reason to regret it, so when my MJ+ comes up for renewal assuming the same continues to hold true I'll renew *that* for 5 years too.

I honestly didn't expect any of this to be the case, especially given that during the first couple of months of my ownership of the MJ+ the MJ server that *that* number was assigned to became pretty messed up, AND CenturyLink's network didn't have that MJ number properly routed within *their* local network. It took CenturyLink a week or 2 to fix *their* problem and MJ a full month to fix THEIR problem, but ever since it's been 100% trouble-free and EXCELLENT voice quality (even way better than when I tried out OOMA's system, which is supposedly the best but WAY more expensive than MJ).

Once MJ fixed the problem at their end they emailed me a time-limited ADDITIONAL discount on their 5-year already-discounted renewal plan, along with a statement expressing their hope and expectation that I'd become a MJ subscriber "for many years to come." Thinking that they were out of their minds at the time, I didn't take them up on the offer. But NOW I must admit that THEY were RIGHT LOL.

I should also say that I know many OTHER folks who've been equally pleased with their MJ service, and who've had NONE of the problems that I initially experienced with it. But we've ALL concluded that to maintain maximum reliability it seems helpful to:

a) When using a MJ+ connected directly to a router, to power it via a decent uninterruptible power supply that has at least some degree of automatic voltage regulation, and to connect it to its a.c. adapter via the little USB extension cable to help minimize heat build-up within the device; and

b) Power down and "reboot" at least the MJ+ (and preferably the modem and router as well - in the proper order, of course) at least once per week.
MagicIdiot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Still working GREAT for *me* Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
VERY much to my surprise, I have to admit that my MJ service (2 numbers, one on an old "standard" MJ device and an installed MJ app on an iPod Touch, and the other on a MJ+ connected directly to my router) continues to work GREAT after 2 years.

After 1 year of great service on the old MJ device I renewed for 5 years ($100) and haven't yet had reason to regret it, so when my MJ+ comes up for renewal assuming the same continues to hold true I'll renew *that* for 5 years too.

I honestly didn't expect any of this to be the case, especially given that during the first couple of months of my ownership of the MJ+ the MJ server that *that* number was assigned to became pretty messed up, AND CenturyLink's network didn't have that MJ number properly routed within *their* local network. It took CenturyLink a week or 2 to fix *their* problem and MJ a full month to fix THEIR problem, but ever since it's been 100% trouble-free and EXCELLENT voice quality (even way better than when I tried out OOMA's system, which is supposedly the best but WAY more expensive than MJ).

Once MJ fixed the problem at their end they emailed me a time-limited ADDITIONAL discount on their 5-year already-discounted renewal plan, along with a statement expressing their hope and expectation that I'd become a MJ subscriber "for many years to come." Thinking that they were out of their minds at the time, I didn't take them up on the offer. But NOW I must admit that THEY were RIGHT LOL.

I should also say that I know many OTHER folks who've been equally pleased with their MJ service, and who've had NONE of the problems that I initially experienced with it. But we've ALL concluded that to maintain maximum reliability it seems helpful to:

a) When using a MJ+ connected directly to a router, to power it via a decent uninterruptible power supply that has at least some degree of automatic voltage regulation, and to connect it to its a.c. adapter via the little USB extension cable to help minimize heat build-up within the device; and

b) Power down and "reboot" at least the MJ+ (and preferably the modem and router as well - in the proper order, of course) at least once per week.

Oh, it was working pretty darn good for me too. Easy street phone service. My only problem was that in my house, some of the other callers didn't appreciate the rare failures and the pretty weak feature list of limited caller ID and voice mail delivery that seemed to show up once in a while or late to the mailbox.

Enough complaining will take you back to the previous vendor, especially if it is your wife. That's where the true qualities in MJ come out. You tell the cable company that you want to drop their service, they offer you 6 months free just to think about it. You tell MJ you want out and they are already scheduling a card transaction to take place at 3:00AM that next day for 5 years of service, will respond to your disappointment with Terms of Service quotes and end your conversation before you have a chance to get angry.

MJ is rotten to the core. Nobody but a dirtbag runs a business like this and has the nerve to stand behind it. What a second rate business model. This guy has procreated, has a driver's license, probably can still vote for now and potentially has a firearm. Terrifying.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MJ is rotten to the core. Nobody but a dirtbag runs a business like this and has the nerve to stand behind it. What a second rate business model. This guy has procreated, has a driver's license, probably can still vote for now and potentially has a firearm. Terrifying.

+1
Shills are all around. In the real life, it is difficult to meat real happy MJ customers. the only guy I know is an ignorant who would not even consider trying anything else. Well, you also have people who still stick to Vonage.
Rolling Eyes
BTW MJ's business model is sleazy, but not second grade. They do make real money.
MagicIdiot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Quote:

+1
Shills are all around. In the real life, it is difficult to meat real happy MJ customers. the only guy I know is an ignorant who would not even consider trying anything else. Well, you also have people who still stick to Vonage.
Rolling Eyes
BTW MJ's business model is sleazy, but not second grade. They do make real money.

Making tons of money, I do not have any problem with that. I do not even have a problem with the "get what you pay for" product and support. But Dirty Dan goes out and responds to complaints with the attitude that he is doing the world a tremendous favor and that he actually has top customer service reps.

When you are a provider of telephony, but handle most of your correspondence in a chat window, hiding behind a shady interpretation of a Terms of Service agreement, you are second rate. It would be one thing if there was "build your service price" option where the buyer could see up front what the REAL costs are, or even if there was a real tech solution for call issues, but there just isn't and it is a shell game played with your Credit Card. I felt like I bought VOIP service from the ShamWow guy.

You are TOTALLY right, it is difficult to meet real happy MJ customers. The only one I know claims it is great, but many times when they call the family members, whether it is the home line or our cell phones, we can't hear them and have to call back. But they would tell you that it is everyone else and not the MJ even though we had the same problem! The others I know did nothing but share frustration that we knew nothing about until I mentioned having a problem with it. Then I found out how many others actually tried it and were not satisfied.
AdmiralDecker
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Not far off... Reply with quote

There are Pro's and definite Con's to MagicJack service. The worst Con being the homepage of the service itself. If I see that "This is Magic, and this is Jack..." video just one more time I will...{expletive deleted by author}
That being said, the company's business model is actually as ingenious as it is sleazy. They claim excellence, promise the universe, deliver sub-standard, charge 50%-75% more for the basic service than they advertise, and all with a belligerent attitude. Sounds a LOT like eBay?
Money making bastards are not illegal, so there is the problem... Once you buy their stuff, they attempt to own you via that stuff for as long as they can to bleed you dry. We can reliably say the company has no interest in your best interest.
Now we "users" look in the mirror and realize that not every user is an Internet Wizard. Most end-users are trying to "save a buck" and plug in their MagicJack expecting some real Magic. Problem is, they have no idea how the computer works other than to play "Candy Crush" and can't remember a password over 2 days old. Add to that the fact they have a lame 2Mbit downstream (at best) and want to know why the phone sounds crappy when 3 people on the wireless router are watching youtube videos of "I whip my hair" and playing Warcraft.

It's a no-brainer that folks with no brains will have poor connectivity.
AD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: