magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Routing problem? Cannot recieve incoming calls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Check Your Router Settings Reply with quote

Johann wrote:
will probably switch to AT&T or T-Mobile just so that I can call my own home!

You might want to hold off on AT&T. There are MJ users reporting continuing problems with them in this forum.
Johann
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Check Your Router Settings Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Johann wrote:

You might want to hold off on AT&T. There are MJ users reporting continuing problems with them in this forum.

Well, shit.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Check Your Router Settings Reply with quote

Johann wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Johann wrote:

Well, shit.

Not sure how widespread the issue is. I receive calls all the time from an AT&T cell. Others have been having trouble. Would think you could do a test call where you would buy one to see if it's an issue with you.
Johann
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Workaround for some folks Reply with quote

Well as a workaround for some folks that still want the MJ cost savings, but don't mind handing out a different number...

I circumvented the 'unroutable' or 'nonworking number' issue by setting up a free Google Voice account. You can have it forward to any phone (or multiple phones at the same time, grab whichever is closest). We are now able to call home using our Verizon phones with the new Google Voice number, which forwards calls to MJ just fine. Yay!

This isn't going to help people with business numbers that don't want to change though.
sfink16
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Your Router Settings Reply with quote

Then I don't understand. I receive calls from brother in Texas and I live in PA. I have Verizon FIOS, no problem.

I don't know how you can dismiss the router blocking calls. By definition, it is a firewall, and that's what firewalls do, block traffic.

I've been in IT for over 30 years (COBOL programmer, etc.) with almost every background job including network security. Trust me, traffic is being routed via IP addresses. Do a simple TRACERT if you don't believe me.

Have you looked at the traffic being block by the router? You might be surprised at what is being blocked.

Johann wrote:
Barada Nels wrote:
sfink16 wrote:
Hey Guys,

This is my first post, after reading this and other threads.

I took the liberty of checking my Verizon router settings after reading from :

Quote:
Town Cryer (Jun6, 2011) --> l also read somewhere that mj
works with ports 5060 and 5070 udp should you open both ports
on your pc.

Looking at the Port Triggering, I do not have those ports open on my router. I'm not certain which protocol to specify (Net2Phone, DialPad, etc.).

Or is it Port Forwarding that I should be looking at? The drop-down list a whole bunch of choices, even Vonage is listed. I can even choose custom port settings.

Further examination showed that by default my general firewall settings are set to medium, which has an inbound policy of REJECT and an outbound policy of ACCEPT. Should I try Minimum security to see if the results are more desirable? Maybe not! I don't want my system open to attacks. Smile

MagicJack may or may not be right about the issues using their device. Checking firewall settings can't hurt.

Greetings,

Leave your firewall settings as is (for the time being). You want port forwarding and create a custom policy. Try that first . . . if it does not work, then try the firewall settings.

Sincerely,

Barada Nels

The problem of not receiving calls (i.e. the call 'routing' issue) that this entire thread is about has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone's home router, or internet connection, whether Verizon is their ISP. Verizon is simply not routing calls to MJ customers.

I deal with 2 MJ accounts, 1 personal and another for a company I work for. No mobile caller that uses Verizon as their wireless carrier is able to call a magicjack number. In fact, after awhile Verizon replaced the message that people would hear when trying to call MJ customers. Instead of the 'Improperly Routed' message, which was a message that callers would hear from MJ, the message is now simply 'You have reached a non-working number.' I have Verizon wireless but will probably switch to AT&T or T-Mobile just so that I can call my own home!
sfink16
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Oops - Further Research Does Show a Problem Reply with quote

Even though I haven't personally experienced problems, I did further research on the issues. It seems that MJ isn't the only provider using these tactics, and the reason is terminating fees, see:

http://connectedplanetonline.com/independent/news/Rural-carrier-groups-ask-FCC-to-intervene-in-call-blocking-disputes-0616/
tonygod
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem back in February 2011 and had a similar support chat experience. I ended up filing a complaint with the FCC. The problem was somehow corrected after a week, but I was never contacted with information about what was done to fix the problem. I did, however, receive a copy of MagicJack's response to the FCC complaint.

The problem started happening for me again somewhere around June 27th and after another support chat session, I was told a technician would look into the problem with high priority and contact me when the problem is resolved. Since then (it has now been 3 days), I have on occasion been able to receive calls, but am still having the problem as of today, and I still have not been contacted by anyone from MagicJack. I have filed another FCC complaint.

There is no doubt that this is a problem with YMax communications and not with every other carrier. It is irresponsible of them to ask customers to follow up with every phone carrier to resolve the problem. I highly recommend you also file complaints with the FCC until this problem is solved to your satisfaction.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
Johann
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Your Router Settings Reply with quote

sfink16 wrote:
Then I don't understand. I receive calls from brother in Texas and I live in PA. I have Verizon FIOS, no problem.

I don't know how you can dismiss the router blocking calls. By definition, it is a firewall, and that's what firewalls do, block traffic.

I've been in IT for over 30 years (COBOL programmer, etc.) with almost every background job including network security. Trust me, traffic is being routed via IP addresses. Do a simple TRACERT if you don't believe me.

Have you looked at the traffic being block by the router? You might be surprised at what is being blocked.

That oversimplification of a firewall does a disservice to all the readers on this forum. The SPI that is ubiquitous on all SOHO routers today would ensure that traffic initiated on your end is not being blocked on either inbound or outbound traffic. 'Incoming' phone calls are sent over a connection that your MJ adapter has already initiated and constantly keeps up with YMAX servers (unless your MJ adapter goes crazy and needs a reset as they tend to need), the incoming call would complete to you too because it does not need to initiate a 'new' connection. I'm a network engineer. I play with firewalls of various vendors every day setting up VPNs. As I mentioned, and as you found out, the calls are being blocked by magicjack, depending on the phone call you are dialing, or they are being misrouted by other carriers. This thread has nothing to do with personal router/firewall settings.

It also is affected by the caller's phone number vs where they are calling from. For example if I dial from a 414 cell phone to a 630 number, while I'm standing in the 630 area, the cell carrier towers are going to route that as a local call. However if my destination 630 number is an MJ number, then YMax (MJ) is going to try to treat that as a long distance call in regards to routing and call termination fees. That is why people get the message "your carrier is routing your call incorrectly as a local call when it should be routed as a long distance call, please call your carrier to correct this". It's nonsense coming from magicjack. Your carrier isn't actually routing your call incorrectly. MJ is just screwed up.

For an (incomplete) list of areas MJ will not complete calls to, due to access termination fees, see: http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=22407
bebik22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: filed FCC complaint Reply with quote

tonygod wrote:
I had this same problem back in February 2011 and had a similar support chat experience. I ended up filing a complaint with the FCC. The problem was somehow corrected after a week, but I was never contacted with information about what was done to fix the problem. I did, however, receive a copy of MagicJack's response to the FCC complaint.

The problem started happening for me again somewhere around June 27th and after another support chat session, I was told a technician would look into the problem with high priority and contact me when the problem is resolved. Since then (it has now been 3 days), I have on occasion been able to receive calls, but am still having the problem as of today, and I still have not been contacted by anyone from MagicJack. I have filed another FCC complaint.

There is no doubt that this is a problem with YMax communications and not with every other carrier. It is irresponsible of them to ask customers to follow up with every phone carrier to resolve the problem. I highly recommend you also file complaints with the FCC until this problem is solved to your satisfaction.

filed FCC as well....it has been 6 month MJ not working. Lets see if it helps.
jeepjunkie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygod wrote:

Tony, thank you for the FCC link! I too had problems with certain people being able to call me due to routing issues. I skipped calling MagicJack support for help and just filed with the FCC. In about a week, "magically" the problem seems to be fixed for now. But it was interesting to note, I did receive a missed call and blank voicemail from 163-071-5200. I thought that was one strange telephone number, so I called it back. I heard a few numbers being dialed in quick succession, then a voice recording of an enthusiastic person saying "you have reached the YMax Communications test number, this call was successful" then a few more numbers being dialed quickly. Has anyone ever heard of this phone number before, or called it before?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepjunkie wrote:

Tony, thank you for the FCC link! I too had problems with certain people being able to call me due to routing issues. I skipped calling MagicJack support for help and just filed with the FCC. In about a week, "magically" the problem seems to be fixed for now. But it was interesting to note, I did receive a missed call and blank voicemail from 163-071-5200. I thought that was one strange telephone number, so I called it back. I heard a few numbers being dialed in quick succession, then a voice recording of an enthusiastic person saying "you have reached the YMax Communications test number, this call was successful" then a few more numbers being dialed quickly. Has anyone ever heard of this phone number before, or called it before?

I would think it was just a coincidence that it cleared up that soon after you filed the FCC report. There is no federal agency in this country that works that fast. I do assume that the complaints are public record, but would they be available for MJ to see and respond to that quickly? I don't have a clue. It certainly wouldn't hurt for others with the issue to file a complaint.

It definitely seems to be a spotty issue that comes and goes. My relative who calls me with his ATT cell with no issues, had this routing problem when he called me from another state last week, so he had to use a friends land-line. The next day the call went through fine with the cell from the same location. Makes no sense to me.

A reverse number look-up shows 163-071-5200 doesn't exist. A google search shows the 163 is not a US area code but appears to be a Taiwan one. I would test call it, but don't want to be on a MJ shit list somewhere. Shocked
bebik22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Update: filed FCC complaint Reply with quote

bebik22 wrote:
tonygod wrote:

filed FCC as well....it has been 6 month MJ not working. Lets see if it helps.

issue resolved and MagicJack did answer FCC complaint.
As I suspected it was their issue and FCC helped. GO FCC!!!

Quote:

YMax Communications
5700 Georgia Ave
West Palm Beach, FL 33405

September 2, 2011

To: Sharo ......., Deputy Division Chief
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW, 5-A847
Washington, D.C. 20554

RE: User complaint number: 11-C........ Bebik
Carrier: Ymax Communications Corp.
Respondent: magicJack LP

Dear Ms. Bowers:

Calls to Mr. Bebik magicJack from some wireless phones were not routed properly, causing callers to receive a recording explaining the problem and directingthem to call another number so their call would complete. We have removed the recording and now his calls should complete.

We appreciate his business and look forward to serving him in the future.

Sincerely,

Mary______
magicJack Customer Care
Razz Razz
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Update: filed FCC complaint Reply with quote

bebik22 wrote:

Pretty impressive. What date did you file the complaint and what date did your service get corrected?

Would love to hear from others if complaints to the FCC regarding blocked rural numbers are now receiving the same attention.
bebik22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Update: filed FCC complaint Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bebik22 wrote:

Pretty impressive. What date did you file the complaint and what date did your service get corrected?

Would love to hear from others if complaints to the FCC regarding blocked rural numbers are now receiving the same attention.

took about 2 month
rwslippey
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Any solutions Reply with quote

Well.. it's been a few months since the last post, has anyone found a 100% solution....

This is my business line...

My wife just tried to call me from her work phone which is in a different area code, and it's now saying that my phone is not in service..

I have Magic Jack Plus...

any ideas?

Oh and customer server is a joke they dumped me off saying I wasn't responding as I was explaining my issue.

thanks to anyone with any ideas....
JIMc7
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: no magic for me either, adding some details of the behavior Reply with quote

I thought I would add to this thread since it is the best one I have found so far. I am adding some details that may shed some light on what others are experiencing.

What I have found personally with my MJ+ is that I was able to connect to my MJ at home from my AT&T cell phone while at work but my girlfriend could not with Verizon from her work. The home phone number is one area code away from both of our cell phone's area codes. We both work in the area code that the cell phones have as there number. I have since then switched back to Verizon and have also found that I can not connect to my MJ+ at home when I am in the area code as the cell phone's number. However we both can connect to the MJ+ if we are calling from our cell phones while physically within the same area code as our MJ+ number. Land lines are able to connect from several different area codes outside the MJ+ number. I am curious to see if a Verizon cell phone that has our MJ+'s area code is able to to connect when it is calling from outside of our area code.

Update: Cell phones with local area codes calling from outside of our area code has similar results, AT&T works, Verizon does not.

I have also found sometimes during a call over 10 minutes or so that while the connection is maintained, neither party can hear anything said. I usually just hang up and call them back. I have not noted if this happens while connected to only a cell phone, land line, or both.

I think at this point I will forgo the tech support chat. Although it might be a good idea to get a complaint logged. I now don't expect any resolution to this problem.
brvanlanen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Issue when calling from Sprint cell phone Reply with quote

Just started getting this message today when trying to call my MagicJack number from a Sprint cell phone in the same area code (920).

"If you would like to make and receive calls anywhere in the United States absolutely free, simply visit Magicjack.com & begin making calls for free, it takes only seconds, that's MagicJack.com. The magic JacK number you've called has not yet been assigned to a customer, please check the number you've dialed and dial again."

Occasionally will get through but get the message more often than not. No relatives with a Sprint cell get through, receive the same message. MagicJack customer service is NO HELP ... claim it's not their issue ... even though it's THEIR advertisement.
magicjack85
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: MagicJack finally admits its their problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having issues with all of my magicjacks, on separate accounts, calls not getting routed properly. After 45 minutes (it seems) chatting with their tech support, they finally admitted that this problem is affecting all magicJack customers. I was ready to reset my router, but they admitted that it was their problem.

Sheesh! They had me changing all kinds of settings on my computer, etc.
tommc4
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Alternative Carrier Issues Reply with quote

I, too, am having intermittant issues with AT&T Mobility; depending on the cell site I am calling through, I cannot reach my home number. I can reach my 2nd MJ just fine.

Let me say that my home number was originally a MJ number (old USB dongle version, 2010) that I ported to VOIPO. After testing the MJ+ for a year on my FAX line, I purchased another, and ported my number BACK from VOIPO in February 2014.

At first, VOIPO customers could not call me, all they got was 1 ring, then dead air. Then I started messing around with my cellphone calling home, and found the intermittent issue. Additionally, I had an issue with incoming SKYPE and GOOGLE VOICE calls, all getting the same result - 2 rings, then disconnect or dead air. I could call my other MJ line with 0 issues, so I knew it was a porting problem.

They FINALLY got the issue fixed with regard to SKYPE, but still having the issue CONSTANTLY with Google Talk, and intermittent with AT&T Mobility.

I have actually TALKED with a real, American, English-as-her-native-language person at MagicJack, probably because I filed a complaint with the FCC, AND made it clear that I would request a hearing before the Commission is the issue was not resolved (I have been dealing with this since February 2014). So apparently, if you make enough noice to the regulatory folks, they will give you some REAL attention.

I will keep you posted here on how things unfold.... and conclude!

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: