magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons for Linux Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheehanje
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reasons for Linux Support Reply with quote

I understand the need to have hardware that works with Linux. But, I figured I would post my reasons for wanting MagicJack hardware support for Linux. I understand there are work arounds to run magicjack as a softphone in linux, but there are some very practical reasons for running magicjack hardware on linux.

There are a couple things I want to do. The first, is for my own use, I want to create a Linux Media Server, that also runs MagicJack. I can basically build a machine for $200 that acts as a server and runs my phone without having to worry about OS costs.

The second reason, and probably the one magicjack should be listening to, is I would very much like to deploy headless mini computers running linux with magicjack for people who want to switch over. These machines would cost in the $100 range, or even cheaper when I find companies sell off warranty dells and hp's. I could reconfigure then, and run them headless, provide ssh access to them for remote troubleshooting. Then, hook up a wireless telephone base to the magic jack, and use additional add-on charge bases for the rest of the house...

The biggest knock on magicjack for people I'm trying to convince to switch over is the fact they have to tie up their main windows machine, and have it constantly running.. This solves that problem by having a small machine that runs, maybe next to, or under, the cable router. It's constantly on, and costs stay low if you don't have to pay out the nose for the OS.

This is very similar to what Vonage is doing. There systems are basically nothing more than a glorified mini computer running linux.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons for Linux Support Reply with quote

sheehanje wrote:

This is very similar to what Vonage is doing. There systems are basically nothing more than a glorified mini computer running linux.

Are you sure about this?
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons for Linux Support Reply with quote

sheehanje wrote:
but there are some very practical reasons for running magicjack hardware on linux.

Ummm.......
I don't see anything here very practical compared to running MJ on a thin client ($60-$80 on Ebay). The thin client hardware is cheaper. The OS (WinXPe) is free from the thin client maker. Thin clients always use less power than even the smallest PC. And, Magic Jack works flawlessly NOW on them. No waiting for a port to Linux and the inherent problems.

Don't get me wrong. I run quite a few machines on Linux, but compared to a WinXPe thin client, there is nothing practical about MJ and Linux.
sheehanje
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Practicality Reply with quote

I'm not really here to start a flame war, I've used both Windows and Linux in my ventures, along with more than a handful of other OS's ...

I looked on eBay for WinXPe thin clients, and there is a limited supply of machines under $100. I'm sure they would be great to run MagicJack, but that doesn't make Linux any less of a practical option. There are several Linux Thin Clients also available on eBay, several of which are available for under $50...

The only thing making Linux a non practical option is MagicJack doesn't natively support it.

I really don't want to get into a war on which is better for what. I would just like the option to be able to run Linux as a MagicJack Server on an HTPC type machine. This would give me a greater range of options. That sounds practical to me...

As far as if I'm sure if Vonage is a glorified Linux box.. No I am not... I'm going by other things I've seen that run VoIP on embedded linux, so I probably made a wrong assumption abount Vonage.
Diggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Didn't mean to come on too strong. I too at one time was fired up for a Linux option, but after seeing no practical advantage of that option over WinxXPe on a thin client, I'm no longer enthused about MJ and Linux.

BTW - There are 585 hits on Ebay for thin clients under $100. Not saying they are all thin clients, but they are more readily available than you suggested.
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Linux as an advantage running MJ in a way a thin client does. Linux can run for months, maybe years without need for a reboot. We know any version of Windows need a reboot, defrag and that sort of maintenance. So, I should be able to set MJ as a home service. I find it necessary to reboot my thin client once a week to get the best quality out of MJ.
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telltom wrote:
I see Linux as an advantage running MJ in a way a thin client does. Linux can run for months, maybe years without need for a reboot. We know any version of Windows need a reboot, defrag and that sort of maintenance. So, I should be able to set MJ as a home service. I find it necessary to reboot my thin client once a week to get the best quality out of MJ.

Again, I don't want to start a flame war, but please don't spread myths. WinXP running only with MJ is every bit as stable as any Linux distro. It is the apps that cause Windows to be unstable, not the OS itself and in this case there are no apps other than MJ. Then you mention defrag? Excuse me? What would you defrag on a thin client that makes no writes to it's hard drive (FLASH drive)? And what would you possibly be maintaining with WinXPe? I don't know about you, but I get almost daily updates for my Linux machines. Their maintenance is huge compared to WinXPe. Please. Stick to the facts.
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggs, now i really don't see your point. What is MJ? it's an application. Will Linux run MJ in a more consistent and reliable manner? we won't know until it is available for Linux.
thekat09
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telltom wrote:
diggs, now i really don't see your point. What is MJ? it's an application. Will Linux run MJ in a more consistent and reliable manner? we won't know until it is available for Linux.

MJ already runs on Mac... Mac is essentially FreeBSD under the hood.. so to me it should not be that much of a leap for MJ to provide Linux support for a few main distros like Ubuntu and RHEL.. (CentOS)...

just my .02

tk
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Agreed. Didn't mean to come on too strong. I too at one time was fired up for a Linux option, but after seeing no practical advantage of that option over WinxXPe on a thin client, I'm no longer enthused about MJ and Linux.

BTW - There are 585 hits on Ebay for thin clients under $100. Not saying they are all thin clients, but they are more readily available than you suggested.

How about looking at the big picture too, by forgetting "just magicjack" for a moment while remembering that Linux Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, etc. is faster, overrall more stable, virus free, non proprietary, and free in upgrades for life? You also need to keep in mind that the Linux revolution (humor) didn't really get started until Ubuntu 8.04 was released which was about the time that computer manufacturers began seriously considering selling computers with Linux. We're not even including commercial environments or small Mom & Pop businesses with Red Hat, Fedora, Suse, Debian, and so on. In other words, porting MJ to Linux makes total business sense (and oh, is Dan ever greedy) when you consider that since 2005 there are literally tens of millions of people who've made the switch to Linux *Buntus & Mint.

This trend is increasing year by year and I don't see it slowing down. And that ultimately means as more people begin to enjoy all that Linux has to offer, simultaneously more people will be dropping off the Windows base. As of 2009 it was estimated that there were 13 million dedicted Ubuntu users worldwide. In 2011 a report that I found Online indicated that that number had already risen to 35 million. That was only 2 years later. Not porting to Linux is sheer idiocy because it'll cost Dan/Ymaxx millions of revenue in the long run.
That's my take on that anyway.

Diggs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinRiddance wrote:

How about looking at the big picture too,

Since you latched on to an old quote of mine.....
I'm afraid you've missed the big picture. Although we use Linux more than Windows in our house (desktop, laptops and netbook), the trend you speak of is inconsequential. Windows had in excess of 93% market share in 2011. Mac OS was around 5% and Linux 2%. These figures are not expected to change more than a few percentage points over the next several years.

In turn, MJ is obsolete and the MJ+ does not require a computer to operate so the whole discussion is a bit moot. The only bright spot for old MJs is the work that PCPhoneSoft has been doing. They program for Windows also, and Windows is free with any Thin Client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: