magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Few Canadian numbers to chose from

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Few Canadian numbers to chose from Reply with quote

I signed up with MJ as I only have a cell phone and when friends call me it costs me. Of course, outgoing Long Distance costs me on a cell... my friends got MJ ages ago and advised me to sign up - which I didn. Spent $70 on the pLUS and a 2 yr thing, plus outrageous postage and other ridiculous postage and whatnot - cost me of $100 in the end. I can't get a local Canadian number!!!! I could get a long distance Cdn number but then my local friends would have to pay long distance. had to go with a US number. False advertising.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Fan why not try to port in a Canada number in to your mjp then you will have your local area code ?
hope this help
have a good one

scotty
bmh67wa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your area code is on the list at http://www.magicjack.com/areacodes/ (Canada is at the bottom of the page) then it's their fault if they can't do as claimed and you have every reason to demand a refund or for them to fix the issue. I have an issue in that their list includes my area code but when I tried to order one they said there wasn't any numbers avaliable in my area. That was a few months ago and the page has been "updated" a few times since I first tried to get a magicJack and it still shows my area code but as of a week ago still no go in getting a number for it.

If your area code is not on the list then maybe you should have investigated more before paying for it.
quitlan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: A Canadian number CANNOT be ported. Reply with quote

I was advised by MagicJack minutes ago. "Keep your current number" is misleading in another way also. UNLESS your area code AND prefix match the number of the caller, the call is considered long distance. The call TO the MagicJack is not 'free' unless the caller has long distance costs covered by some means, even if the phone calling in is on the same desk!! The AREA CODE matching is NOT ENOUGH.

I have been through this twice with MagicJack, it's not easy to pry this information out of chat people. They will try to keep saying calling is free with MagicJack. OUTCALLS to US and Canada, yes. NOT necessarily incalls.

A Canadian number CANNOT be ported to MagicJack.

AND unless AREA CODE and PREFIX match, the in call is 'long distance,.' TO the MagicJack.

And I was also advised this morning that 19.99 is the cost of porting a number IF it can be done, so check first.

I've found chat to be very good apart from difficulty with EVASIVE answers.

MagicJack is a great outcall device and it does have call display, so if you have active call display capabilities and magicjack doesn't answer, there are no long distance charges to caller. You can call the number back--NO charge--with MagicJack-- and from anywhere in the world if the number is in USA or Canada.

Sorry to hear cost of postage with MJ plus is over the top. For my old MagicJack, very fast and very cheap. MagicJack devices can also be purchased retail. MJ threatens the warranty doesn't apply. Check with your retailer about available warranty and check on possibility of return for refund. Maybe it's a better option.
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a local #... Grab either a Koodo or Virgin.... Unlimited Calling plan for 50 a month... They are Canada wide unlimited
quitlan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: The rate is hardly comparable to MagicJack Reply with quote

shushwap wrote:
If you need a local #... Grab either a Koodo or Virgin.... Unlimited Calling plan for 50 a month... They are Canada wide unlimited

is it?

$50 a month, 600 a year, is outrageous and cell phones are VERY bad for you and what a nuisance!

I've used DigitalVoice which I can use on my computer or at home, 17 monthly, a little more with long distance. But one can get a phenomenal Magic Number which gives the user an extra number and messages go to specified email, also Magic Number has very cheap long distance calling outside Canada's big cities and internationally, a FEW cents a minute, and to most big canadian cities it's no extra.

Magic Number can be used with any number. And, THANKS, I just realized maybe I can associate one with my MagicJack if I get a Canadian Number. Magic Number (all day talk) is about $7 a month. Sounds like a plan that could work! Magic Number messages go to email also, which I like.
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as the op already has a cell phone... I dont think they are scared of them... One other bonus to a cell phone you can take it with you when you leave the house...
unknown217
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Canadian number CANNOT be ported. Reply with quote

quitlan wrote:
A Canadian number CANNOT be ported to MagicJack.

AND unless AREA CODE and PREFIX match, the in call is 'long distance,.' TO the MagicJack. .

That is ridiculous. I don't understand how the incoming call to MJ would be long distance to the person calling if the area codes are the same. And why do they advertise in Canadian media with "transfer you number" if it isn't possible. So disappointed.
AbbyLad
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Porting Canadian Numbers Reply with quote

I don't know the exact date that this became effective but magicJack has begun allowing the porting of Canadian numbers. I ported my number from Rogers Wireless to magicJack in April of this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: