magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack Plus vs Magic Jack Plus 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Plus vs Magic Jack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

So I thought I would make this writeup as I couldnt find a tested source on the newest 2014 version of magic jack.

Now the physical differences on the 2014 magic jack compared to the magic jack plus.

1) 2014 MJ+ is much larger.
2) 2014 MJ+ has 2 usb dongles on one side.
3) 2014 MJ+ has a spot for a micro sd card.
4) 2014 MJ+ says wireless on the side.

Pictures Can been seen here of magic Jack plus and Magic jAck plus 2014 side by side.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/unboxing-mj-2014-and-comparson-with-original-plus-t13120.html

Basically thats all the major physical differences between the MJ+ and MJ+ 2014, but the real question is is the sound quality any better.

I ended up buying the new 2014 as i did like the old MJ+ but the biggest issues I had was sound quality was at best a 6/10. It had the occasional little disconnects that would cut out half of a word and i would regularly be saying ? "Sorry what did you say there" or "Could you repeat that, i didn't hear you" It would sometimes sound sort of muffled.(like your hand was over the phone)

Before all you MJ+ owners say weel u need to set your router up ect. I did I had the MJ+ Mac set as priority as well as DMZ. I also used a very high quality cat 6.1 cable to connect to my router. I also was using very good high end Panasonic phones.And had the magic firmware fully updated.

Anyways with that all set up the sound quality was the biggest issue for me. Its was choppy and sometimes I would get random BEEPS and BOOPS while talking to people.Its wasnt terrible it just wasnt good either. I didnt really like it but I never have been a phone guy anyways so i lived through it for 8 months. I heard about the the new Magic jack plus 2014 version through the email im sure we all got. The one and only reason I decided to try it out is it said the sound chip was updated.. I figured I would roll the dice on the new 2014 version of magic jack to test if it actually does have better voice quality.

Well i received my Magic jack plus 2014 in the mail a few days back , and I jumped on to a live operator and got my old number switched over to the new Magic Jack 2014.

I will be quite honest here I have only made 1 phone call so more In depth testing is required. I called my mom to test it out. Before I even had a chance to say i am speaking on the new magic jack 2014, she said "You sound clear as a bell?" I then explained to her about the new magic jack. We "tested" the new magic jack 2014 for about an hour and i must say the sound quality is much much better. I wasn't expecting much when i bought the new Magic jack 2014, but i was pleasantly surprised on how much better the sound quality really is. Like i said I haven't tested it that much but from what i have personally experienced its a much much better product. The muffled sound is gone, I did not hear any "beeps" or "boops". Was it perfect no, but it was much, much better sound quality.

DO you lose your current subscription? Yes if you choose to take the 6 months free, or you hold on to your old subscription and lose the 6 months free. They will not ADD the 6 months to your current subscription..

Do you have to pay 50$ for you new Magic Jack, yes.
(In Canada shipping costs alot more, if your curious why i said 50$)

Is it worth it, in my opinion with the better sound quality, yes.

I will add a more indepth review once i have tested, this new magic jack more.

Last edited by Mayo on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Plus vs Magic Jack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

Mayo wrote:
Do you lose your current subscription yes. Do you have to pay 50$ for you new Magic Jack, yes. Is it worth it, in my opinion with the better sound quality, yes.

1. Current MJ customers can get the new MJ+ as an "upgrade" for only about $30.

2. When upgrading to the new MJ+, if you do it properly you do not lose what's left on your current subscription.

Glad your new MJ+ works better than your old one did; sounds like your old one just happened to be a "lemon." MOST current MJ+ (old ones) users don't have the audio problems that you did, and most of them who "upgrade" to the new 2014 MJ+ report hearing no noticeable difference.
stevereno
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Plus vs Magic Jack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
... When upgrading to the new MJ+, if you do it properly you do not lose what's left on your current subscription.

So, how does one do it "properly", and not lose their current subscription?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Plus vs Magic Jack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

stevereno wrote:
SteveHC wrote:
... When upgrading to the new MJ+, if you do it properly you do not lose what's left on your current subscription.

So, how does one do it "properly", and not lose their current subscription?

- By paying VERY close attention to what you're doing when you "register" it online, most importantly immediately "attaching" it to your pre-existing AND PAID-FOR MJ phone number... just keep in mind that they will not exactly add 6 months to whatever you've already got on that number, the details are posted on their website.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Current MJ customers can get the new MJ+ as an "upgrade" for only about $30.

Maybe in USA but Im from Canada Here is my exact bill.

1 magicJack Express Tracking Mail $ 3.95
1 magicJack PLUS/EasyPay - SALE Price! $29.95
1 Canadian Shipping & Handling $11.95
1 REGULATORYFEES $3.58

ORDER TOTAL: 49.43

$49.43 is alot closer to 50$ as i stated than the 30$ you claim.

Quote:
2. When upgrading to the new MJ+, if you do it properly you do not lose what's left on your current subscription.

You lose either your old subscription or the new one... its your choice. but either way you do in fact lose a part of a subscription period...there's no magical way to save both your current subscription and your free 6 months subscription. Thanks though for coming to my thread to just ramble a bunch of useless information.

Quote:
Glad your new MJ+ works better than your old one did; sounds like your old one just happened to be a "lemon."

Have you read the Huge thread on the audio issues of magic jack posted on this websight ? Its actually alot more common than you make it out to seem. Just because you dont have audio issues dont exaggerate and say nobody does its a fact that many have had issues. Here it is if you missed this 30 page sticky.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/official-beeping-troubleshooting-thread-t6439.html

Quote:
most of them who "upgrade" to the new 2014 MJ+ report hearing no noticeable difference.

Whos them? I found many that contradict exact what you just said. Here are a few on the magic jack 2014.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOKYoz9nZH8
I also find the new magic jack 2014 better sounding lol that why i wrote this in the first place.

Please just stay out of my thread your a troll obviously.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "Mayo" - Don't blame *me* for your having said that your new MJ+ had cost you $50 without having mentioned that about $20 of that was due to your being a Canadian (not that I'd ever heard before that Canadians are charged some sort of telecom fee).

As far as any difference in audio quality between the "old" MJ+ and this newer one goes, I stand 100% by what I said. Current owners of the original MJ+ who are satisfied with the overall audio quality of their MJ service should NOT waste their money "upgrading" to the newer one, as most likely they will not see any improvement and the new device does *not* produce a louder volume. But those who experience a LOT of "dropouts" *might* see some improvement in that regard with the new device - but not likely. My conclusions are based on the overwhelming number of comments from consumers posted throughout the web, not from watching someone's YouTube home video.

And your original claim that you somehow "lost" ANY part of your prior prepaid service subscription by buying the new device is ABSURD - if you had less than 6 months remaining you received more time and if you had more than 6 months remaining you kept all of it. You "lost" *no* subscription time whatsoever, not one minute.

By the way - The fact that you posted a comment here which inadvertently started a small thread doesn't make you some sort of "owner" of the thread. EVERYONE'S free to post here as long as it's not too far off topic, spam, or insulting. If you choose to post here you do so with the understanding that others with opposing views will post responses. And if you insult you get ignored (at best). Sorry, "dude," that's life. You don't like that reality? Then pay to operate your own private website. In the meantime just accept the fact that the adults here who have been here a LOT longer than you have expect adult behavior from *everybody* - including you.
greenman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can have your pie and eat it too. I set it up so that I retain both devices. They have the same phone number, but I can add a new free phone number to the new device at any time while I still have two devices. I can make and receive calls from either line at the same time. I have 105 days left on the original device and 184 days left on the new device. At some point before the middle of November, I have to decide whether I want to keep both devices or decommission one of them.

Here's an article on how I did it.

You don't have to transfer the old device. You can keep both devices. You just have to be vigilant to remember to uncheck "AutoRenew" for whichever device you intend to let lapse. Like Steve, I'm hearing no additional voice quality with the new device. I'm still curious how they'll get us to use the USB ports.

Here'a a flow chart of the process. (Click on the image to enlarge it.)

retiredfpl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: MJ+ 2014 USB power adaptor Reply with quote

What is the current (ampere) rating of the USB power adaptor for the new MJ+ 2014?

Is it still 5V @ 1A or has it been raised to accommodate the future plug-ins?
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ+ 2014 USB power adaptor Reply with quote

retiredfpl wrote:
What is the current (ampere) rating of the USB power adaptor for the new MJ+ 2014?

Here you see it: http://mjcheck.low.li/2013/08/the-unboxing-2014-edition-and-comparison-with-original-edition-magicjack-plus/

Image 12

Last edited by Pilot on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ+ 2014 USB power adaptor Reply with quote

retiredfpl wrote:

Yes, it is still rated 5V @ 1A
The device draws 100 to 120mA. 5 watts.
The usb ac adapter itself provides a little over 5 volts (5.13 to 5.15V).
The two usb ports on the side provide just under 5 volts (4.93 to 4.95V).

retiredfpl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
. Current owners of the original MJ+ who are satisfied with the overall audio quality of their MJ service should NOT waste their money "upgrading" to the newer one, as most likely they will not see any improvement and the new device does *not* produce a louder volume....My conclusions are based on the overwhelming number of comments from consumers posted throughout the web, not from watching someone's YouTube home video.

truthfreedompeace777 wrote:
I have had the 2014 new magic jack plus for a week now.It has noticeably less noise/static compared to the old plus..

Also read the comment made by the person who did this review on youtube, he states the magic jack plus 2014 is better quality that previous versions.

I also find the quality better.

I am only interested in people that actually own BOTH magic jack plus and Magic jack plus 2014. since that's what I'm making my comparisons on.

Please show me some URLs, Im not saying they don't exist I just cant find them. Just asking for you to back up your claim, I cant seem to find the "overwhelming" amount of people that you state that the quality is the same as the old Magic jack plus.
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Audio Smackdown Reply with quote

Mayo wrote:

Also read the comment made by the person who did this review on youtube, he states the magic jack plus 2014 is better quality that previous versions.

I also find the quality better.

I am only interested in people that actually own BOTH magic jack plus and Magic jack plus 2014. since that's what I'm making my comparisons on.

I own both. In my Audio Smackdown post, I compare the two. There's also a video.

I frankly cannot tell the difference with regards to audio quality. Neither can family or friends with whom I talk on the phone. (I've been randomly swapping them out to see if anyone can tell the difference.) The mJ+2014 is not as loud as the 2012 when connected to the router. (See the video for proof.) Both still have a firmware bug in that volume settings made when attached via USB to the computer do not stick when either device is thereafter booted up in the router.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I own both. In my Audio Smackdown post, I compare the two. There's also a video.

I frankly cannot tell the difference with regards to audio quality. Neither can family or friends with whom I talk on the phone. (I've been randomly swapping them out to see if anyone can tell the difference.) The mJ+2014 is not as loud as the 2012 when connected to the router. (See the video for proof.) Both still have a firmware bug in that volume settings made when attached via USB to the computer do not stick when either device is thereafter booted up in the router.

Well your video shows a picture of a "magic jack original" vs a "magic jack plus 2014", not a magic jack plus vs a magic jack 2014. Nice video though.

Even if that was a mistake on your end, that's one person that disagrees I'm still looking for the "overwhelming" amount of people that think this.
greenman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayo wrote:
Well your video shows a picture of a "magic jack original" vs a "magic jack plus 2014", not a magic jack plus vs a magic jack 2014. Nice video though.

Even if that was a mistake on your end, that's one person that disagrees I'm still looking for the "overwhelming" amount of people that think this.

Apologies if it was not clear.
I don't own the USB-only version of magicJack.
I own the magicJack plus (original 2012) version and the magicJack plus 2014 version.
Again - I do not own the USB-only version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: