magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
No Dialtone

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cindy S
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: No Dialtone Reply with quote

Hi folks. I bought the Magic Jack a few days ago and have tried everything to get it to work properly. For some reason it would not install on my main computer and I had some other problems to come forth, but got that fixed back as before. Finally got the Magic Jack to install on my laptop only to find out it had already been purchased and registered by another user. The folks at Magic Jack wouldn't reset the user name, number, and password. Carried the jack back to Radio Shack and told them what had happened and that I needed a new jack and not a used one. I got home and installed it on the laptop. Now, I get the display pad and all, but there is no dial tone on the phone. I've tried three different phones and none will work. I can dial a number from the keypad on the computer screen and it will ring at the other end, but I can't hear it ringing from my end. I have checked the settings and it is set to phone and not headphone. If you call the number to the new jack, it rings on the phone that you are calling from and will ring through to the voice mail and you can leave a message and the message is sent to my email. Any ideas as to why I can't get a dial tone with the Magic Jack?

Any help very much appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Google
AdSense





PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks


Back to top
Cindy S
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I'm running XP on both computers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
luigi2008
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No Dialtone Reply with quote

Cindy S wrote:
Hi folks. I bought the Magic Jack a few days ago and have tried everything to get it to work properly. For some reason it would not install on my main computer and I had some other problems to come forth, but got that fixed back as before. Finally got the Magic Jack to install on my laptop only to find out it had already been purchased and registered by another user. The folks at Magic Jack wouldn't reset the user name, number, and password. Carried the jack back to Radio Shack and told them what had happened and that I needed a new jack and not a used one. I got home and installed it on the laptop. Now, I get the display pad and all, but there is no dial tone on the phone. I've tried three different phones and none will work. I can dial a number from the keypad on the computer screen and it will ring at the other end, but I can't hear it ringing from my end. I have checked the settings and it is set to phone and not headphone. If you call the number to the new jack, it rings on the phone that you are calling from and will ring through to the voice mail and you can leave a message and the message is sent to my email. Any ideas as to why I can't get a dial tone with the Magic Jack?

Any help very much appreciated!


Is the blue light on the dongle on?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luigi2008
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy S wrote:
Forgot to mention that I'm running XP on both computers.


See if MagicJack.exe is running using Task Manager...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cindy S
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Yes the blue light is on. After I made the initial post I was reading where someone was having audio problems. The reply was to check and do an entire list of things. I have done all the things mentioned in that particular reply. Let me see if I can find that post again and I'll bring the link here. But I've done everything that I can think of. I'll BRB with the link to the reply that I'm referring to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cindy S
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the topic with the list to try.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/no-audio-on-some-incoming-outgoing-calls-t7218.html
[/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cindy S
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this is really puzzling. I've just turned on the laptop, inserted the Magic Jack, tried the phone and it worked! Same phone, same plug and same computer. I worked hours with the Magic Jack team trying to get this to work on Friday and Saturday.

Now that it is working on the laptop, does anyone know why it may not be working on my desktop? It won't install and nothing happens. The keypad doesn't display at all. I am running AVG anti virus and Windows firewall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevinprov
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: same here. Reply with quote

I had nearly the same problem. Except MJ froze up my WinXP desktop. Actually, it wasn,t frozen, it was just taking hours to install, load, etc, and never finished. While it was doing that, my desktop was useless.
After several chats with customer service, I'm told there are a bunch of programs that, if installed on your computer, must be removed in order for MJ to work. These are anything by ROXIO, NERO, MUSICMATCH, and also a yahoo music program (not messenger) that I cannot recall. Thing is, all these programs sort of take over control of external drives from Windows, for things such as burning cd's and dvd's. The MJ dongle is incorporated as an external drive. So, it's my guess that, if the Windows o/s is not the only thing controlling drives, MJ just won't work. (Of course, the list of programs SHOULD be on the package, and on page one of their website!!)
So, either find out if your desktop has one of these competing programs and totally uninstall it, or do what I do--just keep using the laptop instead.

Cindy S wrote:
Now, this is really puzzling. I've just turned on the laptop, inserted the Magic Jack, tried the phone and it worked! Same phone, same plug and same computer. I worked hours with the Magic Jack team trying to get this to work on Friday and Saturday.

Now that it is working on the laptop, does anyone know why it may not be working on my desktop? It won't install and nothing happens. The keypad doesn't display at all. I am running AVG anti virus and Windows firewall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB Turbo Extended Edition © 2013, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.