magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Porting out from Magic Jack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Porting out from Magic Jack Reply with quote

MJ not only keeps on demanding $ 30.- for porting your number OUT to another provider, they even became slicker than before.
Now, they will send you an email where you have to confirm your port and fill out an information sheet. Part of it is your credit card information. If you do that you WILL be charged the 30 $.
MJ cannot charge you anything for port out.Completely illegal. Ignore this e-mail. They will put your port on hold for a couple of days and then proceed with the port. Just be patient.
BTW, you MJ number which you see when you log on your MJ is not your account number. To get your account number which you will need for your new carrier in order to get the port processed you have to contact MJ customer service. You will also need your account password and the exact address you registered MJ with.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

ljsmom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Porting to GV Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this information. Now I did want to know about porting to GV. I already have a GV #, but I want to port my MJ# over. How can I do this?
redpepper
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have a little time left on your MJ subscription an alternative option would be to login to your MJ account and forward your existing MJ number to your GV number. This gives you a little time to start letting people know your GV number while your existing MJ number finishes expiring.

Once you start actually using Google Voice for your outgoing calls the people you call will also see your Google Voice number appear on their phone displays. Just remind them to store your new number on their phone.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porting to GV Reply with quote

[quote="ljsmom"]Thanks for posting this information. Now I did want to know about porting to GV. I already have a GV #, but I want to port my MJ# Not possible to port into GV without a cell phone account as intermediary. I would suggest get some type of gsm phone and make a $.99 purchase from tmobile.com of a new sim card which includes an activation code and 30 minutes of talk time. Insert tmobile sim card into phone and call tmobile prepaid to activate your phone. Ask to have your MJ number ported to your new tmobile acct. After this port completes, log onto your GV account and pay $20 to port your tmobile number to a new GV account. Steadfastly ignore any illegitimate demand from MJ to pay $30 bucks 'port out' fee.
Should all be done within 5 days.

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porting to GV Reply with quote

dupe

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"

Last edited by crackerjack on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should all be done within 5 days.

It should. Unfortunately, in many cases it does not happen . And there is no one on GV side you could talk to. I ended up calling Amex and getting my money back.
black_icon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that MJ company is strictly implementing their company's policies and protocols. Just an idea... Smile
firefoxsilver9
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im porting my number from MJ to voip.ms and the FOC date is on the 20th, same day my MJ service is set to expire. the voip.ms rep said there shouldnt be any issue as they've done this in the past. i got an email from MJ who sent me to a website to complete the porting and its asking for a credit card. should i ignore it or will it cause issues if i dont pay the port out fee?
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefoxsilver9 wrote:
im porting my number from MJ to voip.ms and the FOC date is on the 20th, same day my MJ service is set to expire. the voip.ms rep said there shouldnt be any issue as they've done this in the past. i got an email from MJ who sent me to a website to complete the porting and its asking for a credit card. should i ignore it or will it cause issues if i dont pay the port out fee?

IGNORE THE PORT OUT FEE
firefoxsilver9
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
firefoxsilver9 wrote:

IGNORE THE PORT OUT FEE

will it delay the port date? my concern is that my service will expire before the port gets done and then i lose my number
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not, at least it did not in my case, however, it's the crooked MJ, so you never know.
firefoxsilver9
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today was the day. The number did port successfully without me paying MJ a dime. Had a hiccup where i could make outbound calls but not inbound ones but that was resolved with a quick change in my voip.ms account settings.
MJsupport
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: URL for FCC ported number transfer; cost for MJ to transfer Reply with quote

There is a $9.95 annual cost for keeping your ported number in addition to the $29.95 annual fee. I am going to NetTalk and requested that my number be ported out of MJ to NetTalk. MJ has sent an email requesting a $30.00 fee to transfer the number out on MJ. THIS IS ILLEGAL according to the FCC. Do not pay the $30.00, you will not see that money again. File a complaint with BBB and FCC. URL for FCC information: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: URL for FCC ported number transfer; cost for MJ to trans Reply with quote

MJsupport wrote:
MJ has sent an email requesting a $30.00 fee to transfer the number out on MJ. THIS IS ILLEGAL according to the FCC.

I think you're wrong. I didn't see anything in your link about it being illegal to charge a fee for this. In fact it says:

Companies may charge their customers fees to recover the costs that they incur in providing number portability. Fees may vary between companies, and some companies may not charge any fees.

It does say that they can cannot refuse to port because you don't pay the fee. But that is a HUGE difference in it being illegal for them to bill you for it.

The fact that it would be illegal to hold up the port is probably why it has been mentioned MANY times in this forum to ignore the fee request, don't pay it and the port will go through anyway.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does say that they can cannot refuse to port because you don't pay the fee. But that is a HUGE difference in it being illegal for them to bill you for it.

I believe- and so do IMO most telcos- that it was the intention of the FCC to consider port out fees illegal, although the language is neither clear or strong enough. For this reason IMO most companies do not attempt to charge such port out fees, not even those providers who could easily collect after a completed port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: