magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porting out from Magic Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porting out from Magic Jack Reply with quote

rhino wrote:
cell14 wrote:
MJ not only keeps on demanding $ 30.- for porting your number OUT to another provider, they even became slicker than before.
Now, they will send you an email where you have to confirm your port and fill out an information sheet. Part of it is your credit card information. If you do that you WILL be charged the 30 $.
MJ cannot charge you anything for port out.Completely illegal. Ignore this e-mail. They will put your port on hold for a couple of days and then proceed with the port. Just be patient.
BTW, you MJ number which you see when you log on your MJ is not your account number. To get your account number which you will need for your new carrier in order to get the port processed you have to contact MJ customer service. You will also need your account password and the exact address you registered MJ with.

I just ignored the email. It took about a week for my port to complete, but I DID NOT pay the $30.00 fee

which I'd known before I paid the port fee: I used the #'s for advertising etc. to weed out spam and email addicts. they both worked for strictly that purpose (didnt ever use it much for outgoing calls wifi was too sketchy, which i believe is my problem with the mj+ not working off the compter, ie plugged in wall) one worked for an addit 4mo and the other one 8mo when I was deciding to buy the MJ+ they wanted $30 to renew the reg mj's and you only got the months remaining had you done it when it expired, so I'd be curious. I use my first MJ+ to replace the land line # that was @ the house for 40yrs. just got the 2nd one. biggest bitch i have is problems logging on the the mj site....pain in the ass
jpdigby
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: magicjack port out fee...illegal Reply with quote

I do believe that a number that you port into magicjack belongs to you...so when you are to change providers, that number should be transferred without any additional port out fee. I can understand MJ charging the port out fee if you were going to use a "magicjack" number with the new service, but I can't see the charge as being legitimate for a number that originally belongs to the subscriber...you do not give up the entitlement to Magicjack just because you ported your number into their service.
JeffWest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know federal or state statute or regulations or case law on the matter of local number portability. But, MJ does charge you $10 per year to keep your phone number for local number portability. IMHO, any attempt to impede your porting of the number or collect even more money is simply a breach of contract and that should be fairly clear to solve in small claims or arbitration.
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after porting my main number out of MagicJack, can I assign another number to the device and continue to use MJ for the remainder of the term?

Does the answer to that question depend on whether I pay the $30 port fee?

I see in their TOS that "if you transfer or port out your phone number your service is terminated and you relinquish all claims for a refund of your initial licensing period as well as any renewal licensing purchased." But I don't get how this works if I have multiple MJ numbers and services linked to one MJ account.
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer my own questions (in case someone else has the same):

mmagic wrote:
So after porting my main number out of MagicJack, can I assign another number to the device and continue to use MJ for the remainder of the term?

Apparently yes. After the port completed, I successfully assigned another number to my MJ Plus and to my Android app. I just used the number that MJ originally created, the one I had used before I ported _in_ the number that I just ported _out_.

mmagic wrote:
Does the answer to that question depend on whether I pay the $30 port fee?

Apparently no. I did not pay the $30 fee and they let the port complete after 5 days. I did file an FCC complaint yesterday, as the $30 seems excessive especially since this was my number that I paid to port in.

mmagic wrote:
I see in their TOS that "if you transfer or port out your phone number your service is terminated and you relinquish all claims for a refund of your initial licensing period as well as any renewal licensing purchased." But I don't get how this works if I have multiple MJ numbers and services linked to one MJ account.

This paragraph in the TOS doesn't seem to coincide with the reality of the current service. Maybe it used to be one dongle = one number, but now it's multiple dongles + multiple numbers.

I'm porting to Google Voice (via an intermediate port to an AT&T GoPhone). I'm thinking I'll use up my MJ term, then move to using an Obihai gizmo directly with Google Voice.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did file an FCC complaint yesterday, as the $30 seems excessive especially since this was my number that I paid to port in.

Waste of time AND you are wrong.The FCC rules do not say that MJ cannot charge the fee, they just say that MJ cannot impede the port if you do not pay it.
It has also nothing to do with the fact that it was your number previously imported ( The situation with GV is slightly different, you do not own the number, GV simply allows you to use it for free.)
Quote:
I'm thinking I'll use up my MJ term, then move to using an Obihai gizmo directly with Google Voice.

Why ? It costs you nothing to use Google voice and the quality is better.And you can sign up for another SIP provider as well.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffWest wrote:
. IMHO, any attempt to impede your porting of the number or collect even more money is simply a breach of contract and that should be fairly clear to solve in small claims or arbitration.

You really want to go to court or arbitration for $ 30.- ? Check the parking fees at the court house...
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Quote:
I did file an FCC complaint yesterday, as the $30 seems excessive especially since this was my number that I paid to port in.

Waste of time AND you are wrong.The FCC rules do not say that MJ cannot charge the fee, they just say that MJ cannot impede the port if you do not pay it.
It has also nothing to do with the fact that it was your number previously imported ( The situation with GV is slightly different, you do not own the number, GV simply allows you to use it for free.)

Even if I hadn't ported in, $30 seems excessive for a port out.

AT&T charged me $0 to port out to MagicJack.

AT&T charged me $0 to port in from MJ to a $10 GoPhone account and then again $0 to port out to Google Voice.

Google Voice is $20 to port in and $0 to port out if you ported in.

Not really knowledgeable enough to debate FCC rules, but I thought I saw somewhere that the fee should be reasonable, and I didn't think it was, so I filed a complaint. It probably took less time than posting this reply Smile.

cell14 wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking I'll use up my MJ term, then move to using an Obihai gizmo directly with Google Voice.

Why ? It costs you nothing to use Google voice and the quality is better.And you can sign up for another SIP provider as well.

Because I have the MJ already and it connects to my analog phones.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and it connects to my analog phones

Question Question Question
nuihc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmagic wrote:

AT&T charged me $0 to port in from MJ to a $10 GoPhone account and then again $0 to port out to Google Voice.

Google Voice is $20 to port in and $0 to port out if you ported in.

Hi - I am looking to port my MJ number to GV too. I do not have anything other than MJ and GV forwarded into a cell phone number I need to also keep.

I was wondering if I can just buy some type of "plan" from ATT without having to actually have the phone itself? If so, I am thinking maybe I can just port my MJ number to that, then port it out to GV afterwards. If this is possible what would be the cheapest type of plan to buy at ATT? Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Nuihc
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuihc wrote:

Hi - I am looking to port my MJ number to GV too. I do not have anything other than MJ and GV forwarded into a cell phone number I need to also keep.

I was wondering if I can just buy some type of "plan" from ATT without having to actually have the phone itself? If so, I am thinking maybe I can just port my MJ number to that, then port it out to GV afterwards. If this is possible what would be the cheapest type of plan to buy at ATT? Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

I loosely followed this post, but instead of getting a T-Mobile SIM, I used an old AT&T phone with an unused AT&T SIM that I had lying around. Then I activated it as a Go Phone. Because the phone was a smart phone, the only plans offered for online activation were monthly plans. So I had to call their online activation department, try and fail to activate with their automated system, and finally get transferred to a very helpful representative who set me up on the 10-cent-per-minute plan and directed me to the site where I could add $10 to the account. With that, I had a working Go Phone cell phone. One tip: ask this rep for the 12-digit Go Phone account number; you will need that to port out to GV and it isn't displayed anywhere. (I had to call 611 later to get it.) You will only need to make and receive a couple calls, then when you port out, you'll lose the $9.80 in credit on that SIM.

I would have been nervous to add the Go Phone account to my main cell phone because the phones' IMEI numbers get linked to the account. I don't know if the systems are smart enough to detect the same IMEI on two accounts but it could be a risk. If you don't have an old phone, you can buy a Go Phone for $20 at an AT&T store or online. The available pre-paid cards start at $25 so make sure the phone has an empty SIM so you can add just $10. In fact if you do this in a store, they could probably set it all up for you.

All in all, a slow process that requires a lot of research and patience, but it works. Getting a pre-configured disposable phone from AT&T or T-Mobile would probably make things easier.
bluejoewho
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: About paying porting fee to move number away from MJ... Reply with quote

DO NOT PAY PORTING FEE!!! The port will go through regardless.

My number was ported to AT&T in about 10 minutes today. When I got home from the AT&T store today I noticed I had a email message from MJ demanding I pay 30 dollars.

After doing some research, I found out you do not have to pay this fee. It's these kind of dishonest business practices that I left MJ in the first place.
diamondjoker5
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ported my mj+ to t-mobile sim. It was never going to go through until i manually called tmobile customer care and gave them the right address and zipcode as there was a 11111 zipcode in my acccount for some reason by deafult. Automated system wounlnt accept it and generated an error. Anyway I got the ridiculous pay up $30 port out fee from mj and I just ignored it. Cell phone finally got an sms saying that the number has been succesfully ported. However, when i ring it it still goes to mj voicemail since my mj doesnt work. And calling out from the cell phone reaches customer care as well. Do I simply give the port process more time? I remember have concurrent services on both provides in previous porting situations for some time.
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but I would start by contacting T-Mobile. I know with AT&T the port didn't complete until I talked with someone at AT&T--like they had to do one final thing manually.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondjoker5 wrote:
Just ported my mj+ to t-mobile sim. It was never going to go through until i manually called tmobile customer care and gave them the right address and zipcode as there was a 11111 zipcode in my acccount for some reason by deafult. Automated system wounlnt accept it and generated an error. Anyway I got the ridiculous pay up $30 port out fee from mj and I just ignored it. Cell phone finally got an sms saying that the number has been succesfully ported. However, when i ring it it still goes to mj voicemail since my mj doesnt work. And calling out from the cell phone reaches customer care as well. Do I simply give the port process more time? I remember have concurrent services on both provides in previous porting situations for some time.

give iot a couple of days.
boatboy63
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: I have had it with MJ Reply with quote

You can read my post toward the end of this page. I am leaving MJ as they have prevented me from getting some calls and I made them aware of it. They were supposed to resolve the problem but never did. When I renewed last year, they charge me an additional $9.95 to keep my ported number that they never told me when I signed up. Now they want $30 to port out. I hope you guys are right because I am going to put in for a port to a new provider and not pay MJ either. I have had it with these money sucking liars. http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack-allows-you-to-port-out-number-to-a-new-provider-t7608-30.html
tc1uscg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Ohhhhh....I gotcha. It was the "the intention of the FCC to consider port out fees illegal", but they just don't "think" it's illegal. Explain to me that difference. You should be a politician with the double-speak.

And MagicJack doesn't consider themselves a telecom company either, so what difference does that make? And although Google feels that way, they certainly backed off blocking whole exchanges when the FCC called them on the carpet on it. Something MagicJack continues to do, apparently at will.

If the FCC considered port-out fees to be illegal, or intended them to be illegal, it would take them 30 seconds to clarify any confusion with another regulation and put a stop to a $3, $30 or $1,000 port-out fee.

I know this is late to the game but seems to me from my telco days that the original owner of the number (the telco who issues it) holds the rights to recover said number if it's ever released into the wild. Otherwise, Magic Crack doesn't OWN the number and would have to release it back to the orig owner of that number. When I got MJ, I ported my number from ComCast, now, I'm about to port it back but MJ is asking for 30 bucks to do so. I already pay them 10 for keeping it every year but I've never paid any service (sunrocket, AT&T, Sprint, Comcast) to port my numbers. Legal or not, thanks for cell phones, I will just let my number play itself out and they can keep it.

And.... since I'm paid up till 2017, I think that pretty much covers my "contract". They can keep my money for that and call it even.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tc1uscg wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Ohhhhh....I gotcha. It was the "the intention of the FCC to consider port out fees illegal", but they just don't "think" it's illegal. Explain to me that difference. You should be a politician with the double-speak.

And MagicJack doesn't consider themselves a telecom company either, so what difference does that make? And although Google feels that way, they certainly backed off blocking whole exchanges when the FCC called them on the carpet on it. Something MagicJack continues to do, apparently at will.

If the FCC considered port-out fees to be illegal, or intended them to be illegal, it would take them 30 seconds to clarify any confusion with another regulation and put a stop to a $3, $30 or $1,000 port-out fee.

I know this is late to the game but seems to me from my telco days that the original owner of the number (the telco who issues it) holds the rights to recover said number if it's ever released into the wild. Otherwise, Magic Crack doesn't OWN the number and would have to release it back to the orig owner of that number. When I got MJ, I ported my number from ComCast, now, I'm about to port it back but MJ is asking for 30 bucks to do so. I already pay them 10 for keeping it every year but I've never paid any service (sunrocket, AT&T, Sprint, Comcast) to port my numbers. Legal or not, thanks for cell phones, I will just let my number play itself out and they can keep it.

And.... since I'm paid up till 2017, I think that pretty much covers my "contract". They can keep my money for that and call it even.

Your failure to pay the $30 fee will have ZERO effect on your porting action. Just ignore the naked attempt at extortion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: