magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Port Forwarding Instructions for the magicJack PLUS *guide*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Port Forwarding Instructions for the magicJack PLUS *guide* Reply with quote

When to forward ports in your router for the magicJack PLUS?

(Drop Calls, Bad Audio issues and Error 23)

Note : If you have a Reserve IP Address feature in your router then it would be best to add the assigned IP Address and Mac address of the magicJack in it so the next time you restart your router it will not be leased to another device or much worse is your computer.

D-LINK Routers
Please go to http://192.168.1.1 then login into your router webbased interface, In "SETUP", click "NETWORK SETTINGS" in the left pane.
Scroll down in "NETWORK SETTINGS" window and find the "NUMBER OF DYNAMIC DHCP CLIENTS". You will see the IP Address in the left of the Mac Address that starts with "6C:33:A9:xx:xx:xx". Take note and provide me the IP Address.
Click "ADVANCED" tab then click on "PORT FORWARDING" in the left pane.

In the PORT FORWARDING RULES window, fill in the following fields.

1. Put a check mark in the checkbox next to the Name field.
2. Type magicJackPLUS1 in the Name field.
3. Type the IP Address the you previously noted.
4. Type 5060, 5070 in the UDP field.
5. Choose Allow All in the Inbound Filter field.
6. Put a check mark in the checkbox next to the Name field.
7. Type magicJackPLUS2 in the Name field.
8. Type the IP Address the you previously noted.
9. Type 49152, 65525 in the UDP field.
10. Choose Allow All in the Inbound Filter field.
11. Click "SAVE SETTINGS" button.

ACTIONTEC Routers

Please go to http://192.168.0.1 and login into your router webbased interface, From the Main Page and click Status.
In the General Status menus, click DHCP User List.

Please take note of the IP Address next to the MAC that starts with "6c:33:a9:xx:xx:xx".
Now, click on Setup tab and click on Advanced Setup in the left pane then click on Begin Advanced Setup button.
In the Advanced Setup menus, click on Port Forwarding.

Fill in the following fields:

1. In IP Port Range, type 5060 then 5060.
2. In Protocol drop down, choose UDP.
3. Type in the IP Address that you previously noted. Click Add button.
4. Change the IP Port Range to 5070 and 5070 then click Add button.
5. Change the IP Port Range to 49152 and 49152 then click Add button.
6. Change the IP Port Range to 65525 and 65525. Click Add button then click Save and Restart.

CISCO LINKSYS E2000/E3000/E3200 Routers

Please login to 192.168.1.1, Click on Status then Local Network click on DHCP Client Table.
Check the DHCP table and look for a blank Client Name. Take note of the IP Address.
If already noted, Click CLOSE then proceed with port forwarding.

1. Click on Applications & Gaming then select Single Port Fowarding.
2. Enter the application name magicJackPLUS in the field provided.
3. Enter 5060/5060 and 5070/5070 or 49152/49152 and 65525/65525 (for Audio issues) in External Port and Internal Port fields.
4. Click the Protocol drop down and select UDP.
5. Enter the IP Address that you noted from the DHCP Client Table.
6. Put a check mark on the Enable checkbox then click Save Settings.

2WIRE U-VERSE
Please go to http://192.168.1.254 then login into your router webbased interface. In Home tab,look up for a device called "Unknown6c33A9xxxxxx" and click on Device Details link.
Take note of the IP Address for that device. Click on Settings tab and click on LAN then select Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.
Under Edit firewall settings for this computer, click on Add a new user-defined application link.

In the Firewall Application Profile Definition window, fill in the following fields:

1. Type magicJackPLUS in the Application Profile Name field.
2. Choose UDP button for Protocol.
3. For Port (or Range), type 5060 then 5060
4. For Protocol Timeout, type 600.
5. Map to Host Port, leave it blank.
6. For Application Type, click the drop down and choose SIP-Based Internet Telephony then click Add to List button.
7. Once it says Configuration Successful, repeat steps 2 to 6, but this time you need to change the port numbers to 5070/5070 then 49152/49152 then 65525/65525.
8. Once it says Configuration Successful, please click on Back button.
9. Now, back to the Application, Pinholes and DMZ window, Select a computer: click "Choose Unknown6c33A9xxxxxx" or enter the IP address that you previously noted.
10. Tick the Allow individual application(s) button then click on User-defined link.
11. In the Application List window, choose magicJack PLUS then click Add button.
12. Once it says Configuration Successful, please click Save button.

BELKIN Routers

Please go to http://192.168.2.1 and login into your router setup utility.
Under LAN Setup, click DHCP Client List and take note of the IP Address for the MAC Address that starts with "6c:33:a9:xx:xx:xx".
Under Firewall, click on Virtual Server.

Fill in the following fields: (This function will allow you to route applications through your Router to your INternal Network)

1. Put a check mark in the #1 Enable checkbox.
2. Type mJPLUS in the Description field.
3. Type 5060 then 5060 in the Inbound port fields.
4. Choose UDP in the Type drop down.
5. Enter the IP address that you previously noted in the Private IP address field.
6. Type 5060 then 5060 in the Private port fields.

FYI: Do the same process for ports 5070, 49152 and 65525. After all ports are added, click Apply Changes button.

NETGEAR Routers

Please go to http://192.168.1.1 and login into your Smart Wizard router manager. Under Maintenance, click on Attached Devices.
In the Attached Devices window, please take note of the IP address for the MAC Address "6c:33:a9:xx:xx:xx".

Under Advanced, click on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
In Port Forwarding/Port Triggering window, click the Add Custom Service button.
In Ports - Custom Services window, fill in the following fields.

1. In Service Name, type magicJackPLUS.
2. In Service Type drop down, choose UDP.
3. In Start Port and Ending Port fields, type 5060
4. In Server IP Address, type in the IP address that you noted earlier then click Apply button.
5. After clicking on Apply, the page will go back to Port Forwarding/Port Triggering window, click the Add Custom Service button.
6. Repeat steps 1 to 3 but on step 4 change the Port number to 5070 for Start Port and Ending Port fields and enter the IP Address then click Apply button.
7. After clicking on Apply, the page will go back to Port Forwarding/Port Triggering window.
8. Repeat steps and port forward UDP 49152 and65525.

For more information

www.portforward.com

If you need assistance please contact magicJack support
www.magicjack.com/techchat

"Tag Team DDoS -- NeoCrystal" 08

Last edited by radzkillah on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still necessary with the "october firmware" hack?

- -
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2guntom wrote:
Is this still necessary with the "october firmware" hack?

- -

Rolling Eyes You may try the instructions above and resolved my drop calls issue so far without the october firmware.

"Tag Team DDoS -- NeoCrystal" 08
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did all that and got dependable service for a few weeks...

then it was back to dropped calls again.

I plugged it straight into a usb on the computer and ran it that way...

got good service for a few weeks, then it started acting up AGAIN!

I'm contemplating the firmware hack....

It seems that my Netgear wouldn't let me do one of the numbers listed in step 8... I'll have to check that again...

- -
tayden
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Bad audio and dropped calls Reply with quote

Make sure the MagicJack Plus has some lights on it. The blue one inside and if you're not using a computer the green and yellow lights nect to the place where the cables connect. The yellow light may blink on and off.

Try connecting your MajicJack Plus into a computer and do the upgrade. That's where it says "lucky you upgrading now" when it runs for the first time.

Do the port forwarding in your modem.

Also try uplugging your modem and let it reset by letting it sit with the power off for a few minutes. This gives the components time to reset. Some of the components retain a charge and need time to return to netrul.

Connect the MagicJack Plus back to your network (not the computer) and power everything back up.

Check your Internet connection for quality to make sure your service can support VoIP.

You may have to do this once a month or more often to ensure your service remains good.
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad audio and dropped calls Reply with quote

tayden wrote:
Make sure the MagicJack Plus has some lights on it. The blue one inside and if you're not using a computer the green and yellow lights nect to the place where the cables connect. The yellow light may blink on and off.

Try connecting your MajicJack Plus into a computer and do the upgrade. That's where it says "lucky you upgrading now" when it runs for the first time.

Do the port forwarding in your modem.

Also try uplugging your modem and let it reset by letting it sit with the power off for a few minutes. This gives the components time to reset. Some of the components retain a charge and need time to return to netrul.

Connect the MagicJack Plus back to your network (not the computer) and power everything back up.

Check your Internet connection for quality to make sure your service can support VoIP.

You may have to do this once a month or more often to ensure your service remains good.

To see everything I have done, click this link

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/mj-dropping-calls-what-else-do-i-need-to-do-t12237.html
Sparki
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my MJ+ I went into its setup parameters which are available to MJ owners at the my.magicjack.com webpage. That is where you can control your MJ+. Once there I turned DHCP off and assigned the MJ+ device a permanent lan address in the 192.168.x.200+ range on my home lan that was up in the 200+ range which is above the DHCP push range of my router.

So then while on my LAN and behind a router running NAT, when first plugged into power my MJ+ phones home to its database, and a correlation is then made between my MJ+ serial number and my external IP address. I have already given that database my internal hard coded address for the MJ+ so now it knows the external address and its internal address. This would almost negate the need for an entry in the NAT routing table.

And in fact that seems to be true because I have been using it for weeks and weeks now, sometimes for interstate calls that last an hour, and it has never once made weird noises, or beeps, or cut offs, or fallouts, or anything like that. Incoming calls and outgoing calls work really really well. And that was without putting anything in any router table.

Just a FYI. chow.
raj_6c1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: mj+ error 23 Reply with quote

Restart the firewall

winxp home, Teracom adsl wifi router...

I tried, forwarding ports, dmz etc for hrs, crossing my fingers and hoping to hear the dialtone but nothing worked... so finally I decided to remove all these settings in the magicjack account and on my router and start fresh...

I just disabled my computers firewall and it started working! and I reenabled it and it still works, even when I turned everything off and restarted, it still works...

so try that...
Indidog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about for an Airport Extreme? I'm trying to extrapolate and re-interpret everything I'm reading to apply to the Airport, but having a hard time!
jsemenek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Multiple MJ+ Reply with quote

I use 2 MagicJack Plus. How would I set up port forwarding on a Linksys router?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple MJ+ Reply with quote

jsemenek wrote:
I use 2 MagicJack Plus. How would I set up port forwarding on a Linksys router?

Unfortunately, you cannot. The procedures described here are only indicated in cases where your own router's WAN IP address is not a public address in the public internet. If you get internet service from a smaller ISP, that ISP may not have the ability to assign an individual IP address to each customer, so they assign private IP addresses behind their own NAT router.

Other cases where you may not be assigned a public IP address is if you get your internet service from some other sort of aggregator, like your apartment building, dormitory hall, or community association.

The reason for all of this is that VoIP protocols require informing the VoIP service provider of a means of presenting the subscriber with an incoming call. This involves somehow telling the provider how to find you behind your router's NAT boundary. MJ devices do this automatically when sitting behind a single NAT boundary. Unfortunately, you can't tell a VoIP service provider how to find you behind two or more cascaded NAT boundaries. The VoIP service will only be able to automatically traverse the router that is actually connected to the internet. It is then up to you to teach your router to pass all such calls directly to your client VoIP device without thinking about it. Since all incoming calls look the same at that point, you can only use this workaround on behalf of one client VoIP device or service. This is why you cannot use this workaround to support more than one MJ, or any other VoIP device behind your router.

Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of VoIP subscribers have no need for this workaround. There is an easy test for this: Go to your router's management screen and make a note of the WAN IP address of your router. Then visit www.whatismyip.com and make a note of the public internet IP address they see for you. If the two addresses match the chances are infinitesimal that you need to apply this workaround.

If the two addresses do not match, this workaround has about a 70% chance of working for you. In this case you should perform a traceroute to see if you are among the lucky 70%. Open a DOS window on your PC (Start | Run... | cmd in Windows -- or the equivalent in another OS). Type "tracert www.whatismyip.com" on the command line and hit Enter. The result will be a list of each node your transmission traverses on the way to whatismyip.com.

Look for the line that has the IP address that matches your public internet IP address as reported to you by whatismyip.com. If you find this address on line 2 you are connected directly to the internet and do not need this workaround. If you find this address on line 3 you are connected behind one additional NAT boundary and this workaround should work for you. If you find this address on line 4 or below you are out of luck, as you are stuck behind [at least] two NAT boundaries you have no control over.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: