magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

no caller id name on push notice for magicjack app iphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: no caller id name on push notice for magicjack app iphone Reply with quote

i deleted all my magicjack dongle contacts, reflashed the iphone to factory settings, with only the app installed and 1 contact. i called my magicjack app and the number shows but not the name until i accept the call, then the app shows the name as it is in my contact list. how come nobody else has this problem? im the only one in history to have this problem the tech said. i bought a 500 dollar iphone for this app to work and now its a total waste of money... but any help you may add i would appreciate

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: no caller id name on push notice for magicjack app iphon Reply with quote

PCTECH4747 wrote:
i deleted all my magicjack dongle contacts, reflashed the iphone to factory settings, with only the app installed and 1 contact. i called my magicjack app and the number shows but not the name until i accept the call, then the app shows the name as it is in my contact list. how come nobody else has this problem? im the only one in history to have this problem the tech said. i bought a 500 dollar iphone for this app to work and now its a total waste of money... but any help you may add i would appreciate

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Had you taken the time to do a search here you would see you are NOT the only one as MJ does NOT NOT NOT show the name in Caller ID.
There are 2 ways around it. One, some phones will display the name IF you have their name AND numer in your phones directory. My Uniden does just that. Two, go to http://www.pcphonesoft.com/ and get the free trial of MagicFeatures and try it for 7 days. If it works buy it and go to bed happy every night.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: oh bitstop.. its the app for iphone Reply with quote

magicfeatures, which i already own, does not work on iphone.

i need to know if the names show up on iphone mj app if they are already in my iphone contact list.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the "IPHONE" part..

Damn Evelyn Woods speed reading course!!

My bad...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: oh bitstop.. its the app for iphone Reply with quote

PCTECH4747 wrote:
magicfeatures, which i already own, does not work on iphone.

i need to know if the names show up on iphone mj app if they are already in my iphone contact list.

- The answer is YES.
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Help needed to troubleshoot why no names match Reply with quote

Steve, can you help me troubleshoot my iphone magicjack app for proper caller id to show up?

iphone 4 original running os 5.1.1
latest magicjack app installed from itunes
push notices on.
added my hotmail accounts email and contacts.
magicjack app contacts and my mj dongle on computer is blank.

should I somehow recreate all my contacts in my magicjack app contacts?
I cant see how this can foul up.

Please help

Thx in advance
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"PCTECH4747" - Normally when the MJ iOS app is installed on an iOS device, it has access to both the phone contacts already associated with the MJ number (if any) *that's associated with the iOS's MJ number* (this is the case ONLY if your MJ iOS app shares its phone number with a MJ *device*) as well as the phone directory that's on the Apple device that the app is installed on (in your case, your iPhone's phone directory).

At any rate, if for whatever reason the MJ iOS app on your iPhone does not appear to have access to either a MJ or iPhone phone directory, the easiest way to rectify this - IF your MJ iOS app shares its number with a MJ *device* - would be to plug your MJ device into a computer's USB port and then enter names & numbers into the resulting MJ contact directory while the MJ device is still plugged into the computer's USB port. But if your MJ iOS app's phone number is NOT shared with a MJ *device*, particularly if your iPhone doesn't already have a name/number directory in it, you have no choice but to manually key in names and numbers into your MJ iOS app.

As I don't recall all of the various settings on the iPhone itself, you might want to go through all of them to make sure that none are blocking the MJ app's access to the iPhone's phone directory. And as I' sure you already know by now, if caller's names and their phone numbers aren't stored in your MJ iOS app's and/or your iPhone's phone directories, only callers' phone numbers will show up when they call your MJ number.

Lastly, on iPhones I do NOT recommend that the MJ app (or any other possible voip application for that matter) be used via cell carriers' data services (such as 3G or whatever; 4G who knows yet) - it's just too slow and inconsistent/unreliable. Try to stick to using the MJ app only via a Wi-Fi connection. Just my two cents, FWIW.

Hope this helps.
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: still only showing the number after i .... Reply with quote

I deleted my iphone firmware and redownloaded the official one again and wiped then just installed all the apps again. this time i manually added all my contacts 1 by 1 from the pc magicjack then restarted both the magicjack pc and app on iphone, and now the iphone has all the mj pc phone contacts. my iphone cells have almost all the same as well. tried to call myself from my cell to the app, and only the number shows up like usual, then once i tap answer, it then shows me the NAME and 1 other it says and then below that the number. so retarded and nobody has ever had this issue before. im not jailbroken and cant figure out what the heck is going on...

i guess it just dont like, my iphone.

oh and i never use the cell data to do the app. im on a limited plan and have cell data turned off.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fiddled around with it and I *think* I understand more clearly what the issue for you is. In order for a contact's *name* to be displayed before you answer a call coming into the MJ app, the MJ app must be running; otherwise, you'll only see the incoming caller's number. So when you're iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi-accessible network, you might want to just keep the MJ iOS app on (if you get a call into your iPhone's *cellular* number while the MJ app is running, I believe you'll get the proper notification from iPhone just as you would if you received a cellular call while any *other* app was running).

So if this is what you were asking about, no you are not the only person experiencing this lol, it's a limitation of the combination of the MJ app and iOS's notifications feature. My guess is it could only be overcome if it were possible to write the app such that a call coming into the MJ app would automatically trigger the MJ app to actually run - and it would then have to simultaneously and automatically close any other app currently running, because currently iOS and most all iOS-compatible devices in use can only run one app at a time, i.e. they are not truly capable of genuine multi-tasking (meaning running more than one app simultaneously) yet.
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: You helped me figure this out! WORKING NOW Reply with quote

OK so this is how you get the name and number to show up. Just like you said is you have to be looking at the magicjack app in the foreground for the name and number to show up with accept or ignore buttons. the notifications only show the number if magicjack app is running:
in the background in taskmanager
, or not at all.

if its not at all running, it takes longer for it to load, be ready and answer.
\

GAME OVER DUDE!

sucks that i cant use the lockscreen anymore if i want names. as the same behavior persists on lock.

i hope they can fix it.

i had my friend call me with it in background, and pulled up mj app running in taskmanager, bypassing the notification answer or deny popup, and all hell broke loose, it refused to let me bypass the notification to check my mj app to see if that callerid screen will pull up. by doing that my following call glitched out like i hung up on my friend. the next test was different from the last results as the notification screen blacked out the mj app to force me to answer or cancel by number only.

anyway at least i know now what to do. i hope they patch the damn thing to open the app immediatly to foreground and rescan the contacts to spit out the name before it rings too many times.

I love you dude thank you!

Razz Razz Razz Smile Smile Smile
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey my pleasure man.

I might be wrong, but I don't see a "fix" coming for this - or even possible - until iPhones & iPods gain significantly more processing power in their hardware and right now Apple seems to be more interested in putting that kind of power into their iPads, for many reasons. Until then, I think iOS will probably continue to be more like Windows CE rather than a full-fledged, multi-tasking OS.

There are at least theoretically other potential ways around the problem of how to more seamlessly switch between cellular service and IP-based voip service, and a few companies (most notably AT&T) have toyed with the idea but due to additional hardware needs and other issues such efforts seem to have fizzled out (at least for the time being). If companies would just make the effort to move in this direction, cellular carriers wouldn't have to be continually trying to get the feds to take more and more airwave frequencies away from broadcasters. Oh, well.
PCTECH4747
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: already requested magicfeatures Reply with quote

i mentioned to magicfeatures to make an app to work for iphone, but im guessing this wont work unless it can nativly run in background.

I just jb myiphone, and so i can get the screen to dim and not lock after 1 minute. i tried backgrounder but its unstable for the ios 5, magicjack app crashes. I setup a hotkey for home to triple push it to open magicjack app, but it opens it everytime like its not running in background when it is. so im trying to find a tweak to triple press home key to open the magicjack app from the background to the foreground. or a tweak that opens magicjack app after idle detected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: