magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Memory could not be read"????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: "Memory could not be read"???? Reply with quote

Hi, all. I'm running a Neoware C15 4Gb/256, with XPe SP2. Things have been going just fine until the latest so-called "update" by MJ. Now, after making or receiving a call, a pop-up window appears with the following message:

"Application referenced memory at 0x00002cca. The memory could not be 'read'."

The window invites me to "Click OK" after which the application closes. If I reboot or relaunch MJ, I can make or receive one call, and the pop-up appears again, forcing me to once again close the application.

I downgraded to the 08/09 update. It seemed to work temporarily, until I discovered MJ simply goes online and automatically downloads the newest update, and there is apparently no way to block auto updates on MJ.

I have MJ installed on my regular HP laptop as well, with the full-boat version of XP, and MJ seems to work just fine on that, even after the latest update. So I know the problem is with the TC and XPe.

Nothing I can find on the 'net has a solution to this problem, and I'm about to throw the TC out the window and tell MJ to take a hike. But I'm stubborn and want to know how to fix this!

Does anyone have any idea on where to start in solving this issue???

Thanks for your time.
MJNewUser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I am running into the same issue but yet mine is a HP T5520 VIA 800Mhz CPU, XPe SP2 on a 6GB MicroDrive and 128MB RAM with Pagefile enabled and EWF disabled.

1. 0X00028E0 referenced memory at 0X00028E0 could not be ready.
2. 0X0000295b referenced memory at 0X0000295b could not be ready. " the memory could not be read".

I try on my house pc/work pc and even laptop with no issue.

I have looked over and over these forums and find valid opinions but no "fix".

Has anyone or is anyone else running into this type of issue and found a fix?

Thanks
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last mJ update trashed a few things. I speculate that they may not be supporting SP2 any longer as SP3 appears to be unaffected by the problem. Appearantly there is a temporary fix by rolling the system date back prior to the update. Just changing the year in the Date and Time Properties in the Control Panel is sufficient. I'm not sure why it works but it does. Give it a try and post your results...

EDIT - Giving credit where credit is due...thanks to lseay29 for this fix!!!

EDIT - Clear your call log list fixes the problem. See my additional post below.

Last edited by Alpman on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be doggone. It worked! The only issue I have with it is that now it doesn't list my contacts or my calls, which, as I understand it, are now stored on the MJ server rather than in a local folder on my computer. Not a real problem as I don't use those features that often. But thanks for the reply...I was seriously considering having to sell the TC (one that, incidentally, I'd bought from you), and I was also damned near telling MJ to take a hike and going with Vonage. Seems they're doing everything in their power to limit their users to those willing to have the main computer on 24/7 so they can display their popups and advertisements where we have to look at them.

Just as an aside...is there a relatively easy way to reflash the OS on my Neoware CA15 to XPe-SP3?

Thanks again, Alpman.

Cheers,
Bill Campbell
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contacts list is another problem with the recent update, but not really an issue for most TC users.

I'm working on a stripped down SP3 image that will work on all of my TC's. I'm still playing catch-up from my business trip, but should have it available in a day or two. I can update it if you send me the MicroDrive with a SASE for return shipping or I can send the image to you on a disc for $2 to cover shipping. You will need a host PC and a CF card reader to update it yourself. I'll keep you posted when it is ready...
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will my HP laptop suffice as a host PC? And what exactly is a CF card reader?
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's fine. CF = CompactFlash reader, as in USB card reader.
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop has an SD card port. Will that do? If not, I think I can probably find something, an external reader, on line, not to expensive. As for the SP3 issue, I'd very much like to take you up on your offer of a CD. I can Paypal you the money...let me know.

Thanks again,
Bill
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, an SD card slot won't work. The MicroDrive is a CF+ form factor and requires a CF adapter to be read in your host PC. You will need to purchase a USB to CF card reader in order for you to load the image yourself. They can be purchased on ebay for under $10.
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, then. I'll get right on that. In the meantime, I'll await word from you when the SP3 disk is ready.

Thanks again!
Bill
bryan9205868281
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

pls me too... having a problem with the image for hp t5700 sp2, there is no sp3 for the model I have and it will not work the MJ.
Alpman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: me too Reply with quote

bryan9205868281 wrote:
pls me too... having a problem with the image for hp t5700 sp2, there is no sp3 for the model I have and it will not work the MJ.

My SP3 image will not work with the 5700 series. It does not support Flash drives (EWF is disabled) nor the Transmeta chipset. It will support the following models: HP 5125, 5135, 5145, 5520, and 5530 as well as most Neoware, TermTek, MaxSpeed/MaxTerm, VXL and WYSE TC's based on VIA chipsets with a minimum requirement of 400Mhz CPU and 128mb RAM.

The image is 1.2GB in size, plus you'll need to add 1.5X of your RAM size for the Pagefile. You will need a 4GB or larger MicroDrive to utilize the image. Most TermTek, MaxSpeed/MaxTerm, and VXL use a CF Flash card and will only require you to replace the Flash with the MicroDrive. All other models will require a IDE to CF adapter and a 44 to 40 pin cable adapter.

For those who may be interested, I can offer a 6GB MicroDrive pre-loaded with my image for $25 shipped or the full kit (MicroDrive, CF adapter and cable pre-assembled) for $35 shipped. PM me with your TC make/model number and PayPal email address for payment instructions.
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running several hp tc5720 with sp2 and im not having any issues.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted earlier a fix for the inability to read the contacts list.....call MJ support and they can make it work again. I did and They did.

As to the memory not read. I was having problems with that just now. Then I removed all the telephone calls from my calls list and cleaned up my contacts list and I no longer have a problem reading the contacts or calls list. This unreadable memory must have something to do with a call list that is too long. Its not an issue since I dont care about the calls list other than a few days. But I had all of a year on it !!! But the bad thing about it is that it hangs up the phone where it will no longer work!!! What I mean here is that if it happens and you are not aware of it, your phone is dead to an outside call coming in until you clear that message from the screen!!!
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
I posted earlier a fix for the inability to read the contacts list.....call MJ support and they can make it work again. I did and They did.

As to the memory not read. I was having problems with that just now. Then I removed all the telephone calls from my calls list and cleaned up my contacts list and I no longer have a problem reading the contacts or calls list. This unreadable memory must have something to do with a call list that is too long. Its not an issue since I dont care about the calls list other than a few days. But I had all of a year on it !!! But the bad thing about it is that it hangs up the phone where it will no longer work!!! What I mean here is that if it happens and you are not aware of it, your phone is dead to an outside call coming in until you clear that message from the screen!!!

I have confirmed that this solution to the "Memory Could Not Be Read" error does indeed work. The error will only occur when there are too many numbers in the call log.

The error is not OS dependant nor is it affected by Service Pack versions as I previously assumed. As a matter of fact I have successfully updated several XPe SP1 TC's with the latest update and deleted the log and they are all still going strong and without the memory error.

The explanation for the error as I understand it - appearantly after the call is terminated, mJ tries to update the call log data to the the server but cannot read the log data after the update, resulting in the memory error and ultimately terminating the program. The memory error is not from your system memory, but rather the "memory" or data could not be read from their server.

The only logical reason to impliment this change is to gear up for selling ad space, allowing them to target ads based on your calling habits, just as adware and tracking cookies do on your browser. This is only speculatio, but why else would they want to collect that data???

The other fixes explained - The reason why changing the system date works is because if the system date is more than two weeks off from the actual date the servers will not get querried for the data. The side effect is that you will not have any contacts or call logs at all.

The downgrade fix also works because the logs are stored in the mJ device rather than on the server so the server never gets querried for the data.

Unfortunately the downgrade will get pushed to the latest update if you reboot your machine or if you disconnect and reconnect the mJ device. So this really isn't a permanent fix.

For now, all you can do is delete your call log and wait for the next update to correct the issue (hopefully).
MJNewUser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: ITs Working Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply - I rolled back the time and it has been working since then.

The popups now are a pain but I have had to reset the TC only once since the fix.

thanks again!!!!!
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolled back to 2009 and working

thanks!!!!!
bblover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am having the same problem with my MJ on XP SP2. I get an "error 3".

I don't want to upgrade to SP3, since that causes issues with my cable modem.

Can someone please help me walk-through the steps for changing the date?

Thanks in advance Smile
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Change date... Reply with quote

Go into your thin client's control panel. Find "Date and Time." Click into that, and change the year to 2009. Save it, and reboot your thin client. Should do the trick. I've also heard that clearing your call history on MJ periodically is helpful. On the MJ interface, right-click on any of the calls in the history, it should bring up a drop-down menu. Click on "Delete all calls."
bblover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. I still get the error 3 code and it asks me to "sign in". So I signed in as well but then nothing happens.

Am I doing anything wrong? Sad
Vicarious
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall this being a pain in the arse for me as well. Okay, after you change the date in the control panel, remove the MJ plug from the computer. Reboot the computer, let it settle down. Then plug the MJ back in and let it do its thing. I sometimes had to do this repeatedly until something seemed to "click" in the system and it all loaded correctly. But it eventually worked.

But, as I said, it was a pain. Might keep reposting this until you find another respondent. Good luck.
bblover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! So now if I change the year two things DON'T work..lol

MJ
Hotmail/Gmail

Any advice guys? Smile
bblover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have made some changes.

I upgraded to MS XP SP3 and was hoping it will alleviate the error3 problem, but no luck.

I am wondering if this problem exists only for certain countries? I was on magicjack.com and they mentioned that users in Morocco can't use MJ since, the phone companies have blocked it?!

HELP Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: