magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicTalk Screen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

fitter108 wrote:
Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner and if so how?

Check out ijanetk post here (at the end of the posts)

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magictalk-t9739.html

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

lychy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

fitter108 wrote:
Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner and if so how?

I downloaded the Fix someone posted earlier and it hasn't popped up since.
kevin1211
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fix here that worked for me, got it from a magicjack agent...

1. Click the "Start" button then "Settings" then "Control Panel" then go to "Internet Options", under "Privacy" tab, slide the bar down to "Accept all cookies". Under "Security" tab, click on "Trusted Sites" then click the "Sites" button.

2. Un-check the box at the bottom left of the window that says "Require Server Verification".

3. Type the following address into the text bar, reg.talk4free.com then click the "Add" button, and also type in the following address, my.magicJack.com and click "Add" then "Close" then "OK".

4. Unplug the magic jack and plug it back into a different usb port after 20 seconds

Only thing is you may have to accept all coofies for a while. A few hours is what she told me.
Howie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left out an important step in the fix I posted earlier. You must reboot after running the fix, then plug in MJ. I updated to reflect this.

Magicjack support had me unplug the magicjack and run Microsoft Fix it 50098. After running, Reboot, then plug magicjack in. Worked for me. The Microsoft download can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402#fixit4me
dali
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I became furious when this problem first started happening Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , I went as far as to threaten the online tech help person, called the magic jack every name in the book, installed the microsoft fix, still didn't work, got angrier, lost stability, unplugged my magic jack, beat it on the desk 20-30 times and plugged it back in. At this point the device realized it should have never crossed a crazy person and started operating normally Very Happy
Howie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started getting the pop-up again and had to run the fix again. This time it stopped the MP window but would not connect to MJ servers ( error 20). I booted into save mode with networking, then connected MJ. It did not give me an error, just kept indicating it was configuring. I let it do this for about 10 minutes. It never stopped so I rebooted into normal windows and It now works fine. For how long? Only Mysteryjack knows. Hope this works for others.
DoctorPatient
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19SEP10
[system= Win XP Pro, SP3]

- MJ loader starts, displays softphone
- magicTalk window pops up
- "????" sez me
- I tried my MJ phone number for the code >no good
- ProcessExplorer (gotta have) to end the magicjack.exe process
- unplug MJ from externally-powered USB hub
- get online, venture over here (thanks to all participants, too)
- no definitive answer, so it's Registry [HKLM >talk4free] poke-around time
- no defintive giveaways there
- the Fixit50098 Registry entries [10] were already there
- next, it's Windows Explorer [profile]\AppData\mjusbsp poke-around time
- notice 4 folders w/today's date and startup time, so look in there
- find similar .EXEs, magicjack.DLLs in those folders
- latest magicjack.DLL found is 2.0.558.2 in multiple folders (why keep old ones?)
- in \mjusbsp level, find 1 file w/today's date & time: magicJack.dat (1Kb)
- make temp folder, move magicJack.dat there
- plug MJ directly into chassis USB (no hub)
- run magicJackLoader.exe from Desktop icon
- softphone starts, loads contacts & calls lists >wait >no magicTalk popup
- "????" sez me
- lift handset >dialtone >call function normal
* go back to Windows Explorer to see if MJ has restored or downloaded another magicJack.dat >no

OK-
DO NOT consider this a definitive fix/workaround: I'm pretty good w/Windows file level work, but only so-so w/phone & comm stuff, so perhaps I just got lucky and would appreciate feedback and results of similar testing from the board community

follow-up:
1. a system restart didn't bring back either the magicTalk code window or that mysterious magicJack.dat file in the \AppData\mjusbsp folder
2. is anyone able to determine what the magicJack.dat file does?
3. I don't think I'll move the file back into the \AppData\mjusbsp folder just to prove if the annoyance returns, either Smile

again, thanks to all those who participate and help here
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicJack vs magicTalk!! finally it look like my magicJacks have won the splash screen battle! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner (sort of) Reply with quote

An interesting question. I spent about the last 1/2 hour on it.
I can't get rid of it, but I can get it to display black.

UPDATED - link with instructions on blocking technique #2 using the HOSTS file.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The ads are currently provided by the website render.talk4free.com.
If you block that site and restart it. The ads will be blocked and that side of the display will be black.
It's common to change the ad servers, so this may and probably will break in the future.

You can block it in your router - which is probably the easiest method.
Find site blocking section, enable site-blocking if it's not on, and enter
render.talk4free.com
As the site name to be blocked.

OR - Method 2

On Windows XP ONLY (don't try this on Vista or Windows 7) you can
(at your own risk) redirect the site so that it can't find the ads.
The way to do this is to edit the file "hosts" which is located in the directory \windows\system32\drivers\etc
If you installed windows XP to a different directory - then you should know how to do the rest of this. Smile

This is a little tricky so, I'm just going to outline the steps, because I don't want to have to go around fixing everyone's system.

Make a backup copy of the file \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Change the file permissions on this backup file to read-only!

Change the file permissions on \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts from read-only to writable.

Edit \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and insert a line at the bottom which says:

127.0.0.1 render.talk4free.com

Save the file back as \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and exit the editor. Careful - if you used notepad as your editor, it'll try to save it as hosts.txt it has to be just "hosts" with no file type or extension to it.

Change the file permissions on \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts back to read-only.

Restart magicJack.

All editing the file does is send requests from your computer to render.talk4free.com back to your local computer (the 127.0.0.1 address).
Your local computer doesn't know what to do with this request, so it ignores it.[url][/url]
Alphamale
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the same thing. Still having way to many issues though. I had the magictalk and enter a code which i do not have. But i just unplugged it and restarted it and everything is ok for now.
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys , I was also getting magictalk screen . I had unplugged my jack and replugged without using the USB extension cord and my magicjack worked properly.

I checked few things . First I removed my jack and started the magicjack without plugging in. I got magictalk screen. It was disappeared when I plugged in my jack again.

magictalk banner has following message :
"
If you received a code for the pre-release of magicTalk, enter it below.

Otherwise, insert your magicJack into a USB port
on your computer and continue as you normally would.
"

So basically it means that magictalk screen appears when either your magicjack is not plugged in properly or your PC is not recognizing the device .
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey guys , I was also getting magictalk screen . I had unplugged my jack and replugged without using the USB extension cord and my magicjack worked properly.

The USB extension cord supplied with the magicJack is notorious for it's bad and spotty quality. Millions use them with no problems (including myself)., but they also can create various weird problems.

If you have problems, and can't plug in your magicjack w/o the USB extension cord supplied, go out and buy another USB extension cord (Called a USB type A Male to USB type A Female cable) locally and try that..

Even in the worst case - if doesn't fix your problem - they're awfully handy to have around anyway.
spe725
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I left out an important step in the fix I posted earlier. You must reboot after running the fix, then plug in MJ. I updated to reflect this.

Magicjack support had me unplug the magicjack and run Microsoft Fix it 50098. After running, Reboot, then plug magicjack in. Worked for me. The Microsoft download can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402#fixit4me

This worked for me. Thank you!
rhodges
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: magicTalk Reply with quote

Even worse news. Went to support and they wanted to charge me $38 for a response to this problem.

What seemed to be a great mousetrap seems to be headed in the wrong direction to me.

RTH

Edit: For what it is worth, MagicJack still works just fine on my adjacent computer at least for the moment (XPPro 64 bit). I am into flightsim pretty heavy and have the two computers (Original useing MagicJack was 32bit) home networked.

Very strange!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: magicTalk Reply with quote

rhodges wrote:
Even worse news. Went to support and they wanted to charge me $38 for a response to this problem.

What seemed to be a great mousetrap seems to be headed in the wrong direction to me.

RTH

Edit: For what it is worth, MagicJack still works just fine on my adjacent computer at least for the moment (XPPro 64 bit). I am into flightsim pretty heavy and have the two computers (Original useing MagicJack was 32bit) home networked.

Very strange!

I'm curious, was the $38 part of the regular tech support routine at the beginning? Or once it got complicated for them and it was passed to a 10% expert that they then asked for the fee?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: