magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJackPlus choppy sound issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PissAnt
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having same issue using MagicJack Plus. Replacing the original Ethernet cable with a better quality one solved all issues. Hope this helps everyone else to.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Kerroj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kif Kroker wrote:
BethyM wrote:
Again, your solution only applies to Magic Jack used in conjunction with a PC. I'm going to assume that, like me, most people paid extra for MagicJack PLUS so they could use it as a standalone. I hope MJ fixes the sound quality and beeping issues!

I think what others are saying is that you should try 1)to connect your mJ+ to your USB port on your computer, 2)set the softphone to "Aircard", 3) shutdown and remove the mJ+ from your computer, and 4) connect it back directly to your router and see if you notice improvement.

I do not have a mJ+ myself, so I don't know if that will fix your problem, but I believe that is what others are suggesting as a possible fix.

Dave

I am completely new to MagicJack (2 weeks) and I have MJ+. I was having this issue as well, people I was talking to complained that I was cutting in and out sound-wise. This simple solution worked for me and I am happy and relieved (I did not want to go back to Vonage.) Thanks to all who posted this information! My girlfriend and I were talking on the phone today at length and she said I sounded "perfect" on the phone w/o any issues.
rnoonan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MJ+ that works great without the computer, so I bought one for my mother. Unfortunately, she was having the choppy sound/electronic beep issues mentioned here. After reading this thread, I removed her MJ+ from the outlet and plugged it into the computer. Simply doing this was not really an improvement, however, changing the setting to "Air Card" did fix the problem completely. My Mom was thrilled.

I then shutdown the MJ+ and took it out of the computer and set it back up with the outlet (no computer). Unfortunately the problems came back. Returning it to the computer gets it to work correctly again (the "Air Card" setting is selected all the time now).

Based on this, I do not believe the "Air Card" setting follows the MJ+ once it is disconnected from the computer. If anyone knows of a way to get the MJ+ to operate in Air Card mode w/o the computer, I'd love to know how to do it. I still need to call customer support to see if they can tell me anything, and I'll post back if I learn anything new.

One note, I did a speed test and her 1.5Mbps/128Kbps service seems to be providing only about 330Kbps/220Kbps (with 21ms latency). So that is probably the reason she needs the Air Card setting. I told her to call her ISP to find out why the service is so poor, but the upload speed she is getting is faster than she is paying for and so I'm concerned that with her service she will never have the bandwith needed to use the normal setting. Does anyone know what kind of bandwidth is needed for good experience with the MJ+?

Thanks a lot.
Kerroj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerroj wrote:
Kif Kroker wrote:
BethyM wrote:
Again, your solution only applies to Magic Jack used in conjunction with a PC. I'm going to assume that, like me, most people paid extra for MagicJack PLUS so they could use it as a standalone. I hope MJ fixes the sound quality and beeping issues!

I think what others are saying is that you should try 1)to connect your mJ+ to your USB port on your computer, 2)set the softphone to "Aircard", 3) shutdown and remove the mJ+ from your computer, and 4) connect it back directly to your router and see if you notice improvement.

I do not have a mJ+ myself, so I don't know if that will fix your problem, but I believe that is what others are suggesting as a possible fix.

Dave

I am completely new to MagicJack (2 weeks) and I have MJ+. I was having this issue as well, people I was talking to complained that I was cutting in and out sound-wise. This simple solution worked for me and I am happy and relieved (I did not want to go back to Vonage.) Thanks to all who posted this information! My girlfriend and I were talking on the phone today at length and she said I sounded "perfect" on the phone w/o any issues.

Update: People I talk to are complaining again of choppy sound/cutting in and out. I hear it on my end sometimes, but it seems worse on their end. Today, I found out when my uTorrent is off, the choppiness is mostly gone I'm told.. hmmm. Some sort of router issue I think so I'll have to investigate the forums here further...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude..... You have a limited amount of bandwith!! So using Utorrent to u/l and d/l sucks that up. So YES you will get choppiness when you are using Utorrent and MJ at the same time.. A little common sense goes a long way.
Look to see if your router has any QOS settings and if yes, give priority to your VOIP packets... That should help with your choppiness as you are using Utorrent, OR just pause Utorrent and talk..
Kerroj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Dude..... You have a limited amount of bandwith!! So using Utorrent to u/l and d/l sucks that up. So YES you will get choppiness when you are using Utorrent and MJ at the same time.. A little common sense goes a long way.
Look to see if your router has any QOS settings and if yes, give priority to your VOIP packets... That should help with your choppiness as you are using Utorrent, OR just pause Utorrent and talk..

Well, I was going by my previous VOIP experience which was Vonage and I had no such issues with that as I do w/MJ+, so forgive me for not having any "common sense." Thanks for your feedback, though, and I did see some possible solutions today at various threads/links in these forums including QoS settings, etc. At worst, I'll just have to pause my uTorrent when talking (I'm enjoying the savings too much by using MJ+ vs Vonage.) Is there any sort of bandwidth-booster available that could possibly be used?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be but it is no longer made. it was called the Hawking BB1 ( Broad Band booster, HBB1) I have one ( thank you again, Darkman) and I can torrent my butt off and there is no effect on my VOIP. it goes between your modem and router and is basicly a hardware QOS.
MAYBE you can find one on Ebay or a local Craigslist.
Kerroj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
There used to be but it is no longer made. it was called the Hawking BB1 ( Broad Band booster, HBB1) I have one ( thank you again, Darkman) and I can torrent my butt off and there is no effect on my VOIP. it goes between your modem and router and is basicly a hardware QOS.
MAYBE you can find one on Ebay or a local Craigslist.

Thanks for the info! I searched/researched for the Hawking HBB1 (among other similar items) last night on eBay, Amazon, Google, iOffer, and Craigslist. I saw one on eBay yesterday that I was going to bid on, but the price went over what I wanted to pay (sold for $42.99 shipped.) Instead, I scored one on Bonanza (via Google search) for $31.99 shipped, complete w/all accessories. Very Happy

Thanks again, Dude!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very welcome.
Be sure to check to see it has the latest firmware, 1.2.0.
You can get it on their web page. Sadly since they no longer make this unit this is and most likley will be the last firmware for it. When I got mine it had the older firmware and didn't work so hot, the update really helped.
Let me know how it works out for you as I said for me it works perfectly.

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kerroj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the firmware. I'll definitely check that out.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, keep me posted on how it works out for you..

Remember, it goes between your router and modem, if you have a combo modem/router it will not work, unless you put a switch inbetween.
Be sure to use a good quality Cat 5 cable for all connections. I have heard the one which comes with the Plus is a piece of crap and has caused some headaches for some users.

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having issues with this and I ahve tried everything in this thread any more ideas?
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I have sorted the issues...(the cracks and beeps)

1) I made my Magic Jack DMZ on my router.

2) On top of it i opened ports 5060, 5070, 49152, 65525 on my router.

3) I used panasonic cordless phones.

4) I upgraded the firmware to the latest for my magic jack.

but in the end the real issue seemed to be...

the location of my magic jack and phone lines... I had them all scattered behind my tv and mixed with my cat 5 cords and router. The MAgic Jack was on a power bar with 10 other things...
From what I read the cat 5 cords/router can interfere with the magic jack (causing cracks and beeps) ..
5) so it better to use a 20foot cat 6 cord(got a new one) and get the magic jack as far away from the router and cords as possible... Directly after moving the phone cords and the magic jack to its OWN plug bang NO clicking NO beeps it works great WOOT !!

So get your magic jack away from your cords and mess and try to keep it as far away from your router as possible and try again... I hope this works for you it did for me.
agametically
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had bad audio quality on the receiving end and good on the sending end while using MagicJack+. Discovered that my son was using utorrent. He stopped and the bad audio quality completely disappeared. I have 8 megs down and 1 meg upload speed. Not using torrent program definitely fixed my audio problem completely. Very Happy
mh1983
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually control the bandwidth allocation limits in torrent clients themselves. Simply lower the limits for downloads and uploads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: