magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magicJack with Comcast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogMike
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: magicJack with Comcast Reply with quote

Since my MJ is working well, I was planning on dropping my AT&T phone line and just keeping naked DSL service. But then I thought, why not dump AT&T entirely and get Comcast, because in my area they offer nearly 10x the speed for about the same price. However, I have seen a number of postings on this forum and others saying that Comcast blocks MJ because they offer their own competing VOIP service. Most of those posts are from 2008, so I'm not sure if it's true anymore. I used to have Comcast and Vonage and had voice quality issues, but I never knew if the problem was with Comcast or Vonage. (I think I later determined it was the POS Linkysys router/ATA that Vonage provided.)

Anyway, all this to ask, is anyone using Comcast with MJ, (especially in the Atlanta Metro area), and if so, how's it working?

thanks,
Mike
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

MadDogMike
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to reply to my own post, but here's an article on the subject from Atlanta-based consumer reporter Clark Howard: http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2008/07/11/13765/

But again, it's about a year and a half old. Hoping to find some newer reports from people familiar with MJ, like those on this forum.

Thanks,
Mike
Robert121571
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Comcast as my internet provider. So far I haven't had any problems with Magic jack on it but I don't use it very much so if they do packet shape to mess with VOIP I may not be drawing attention to my connection. Your mileage might very.

One other note technically it is illegal for ISPs to do this sort of thing but so far no one is stopping them from doing it.
joevv
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using MJ and commcast for over one year and no problems at all. Call quality rivals their own offerings for sure.

Joe
Alan M
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: comcast and mj Reply with quote

I have been using mj with Comcast for more than a year in Little Rock, Ar.
I have detected no problems and have extended to the 5 year plan with mj.

Alan M
Very Happy
reggiefl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using MJ with Comcast for over 1 yr now in FL, no problem. I also have VOIP with Teleblend/Sunrocket (more than 3yrs), no problem either.
NiteShdw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Comcast with MJ in San Francisco for 2 years. There was period where I was getting a really really bad connection, but then one day it suddenly cleared up. I suspect that MJ upgraded their servers or infrastructure, I don't think it was a Comcast issue.

I'm actually using MJ right now on Qwest DSL and I got better quality on Comcast than I do on DSL.
speaker2112
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using MJ over Comcast in the Boston Metro West area and the call quality has been spotty. Recently calls have broken up after a few minutes of good quality, then the other person can hear me but I can't hear them at all. This goes on for about 1 minute and then they can hear me again.

I don't think it's Comcast because my connection seems very solid otherwise, so I'm assuming it's the MJ servers. It's annoying and unreliable enough that I'm considering getting rid of the MJ and going back to a landline.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaker2112 wrote:
I'm using MJ over Comcast in the Boston Metro West area and the call quality has been spotty. Recently calls have broken up after a few minutes of good quality, then the other person can hear me but I can't hear them at all. This goes on for about 1 minute and then they can hear me again.

I don't think it's Comcast because my connection seems very solid otherwise, so I'm assuming it's the MJ servers. It's annoying and unreliable enough that I'm considering getting rid of the MJ and going back to a landline.

Run this est at various times during the day..
http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ choose one of the premium servers near to you. This will give you good feedback on the 'voipability' of your net connection.

If you are satisfied w/ your Comcast, check this forum for instructions to redirect your voip traffic thru another MJ gateway that may be performing better than your default

Good luck

Crackerjack

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been using magicjack with Comcast for about a year now in South Florida. No problems.

Occasionally, I've had to restart magicjack to get a different proxy server for better quality, since I don't know how to do this manually. This is only after my PC reboots following some software installation or update. But once I get a good connection, it stays good.
speaker2112
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My call quality the last two days has been pretty good. I guess it must depend on time of day and how much traffic is going over the network at the time, as I usually don't have much going on my machine when I call. However, it also seems like certain numbers are more prone to poor quality (ie. long distance...), at least in my case.
RJMahoney
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<One other note technically it is illegal for ISPs to do [packet shaping]but so far no one is stopping them from doing it.>>

Today an appeals court has found that the FCC doesn't have the authority to regulate the way Comcast manages Internet traffic. So they may infact sabatoge VOIP packets to a competitor. For myself, MJ works terribly on my Comcast connection and I've done all the QoS tricks that I can milk out of my Linksys 54GL running Tomato v1.27.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: