magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack Plus temperature is HOT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james2003
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus temperature is HOT Reply with quote

With MagicJack Plus plugged into the AC-USB power adapter the MJ+ box is up to 125 degrees F. That seems excessively HOT in a room that is 75-80F.
It is not making or receiving a phone call, just sitting there idle.

Is that normal? If it is, they should have installed heat sink fins on it to cool it off. Can't be good for the electronics.

Does anyone know how many watts this space heater is consuming?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't plug it in directly to the power adapter, use the little extension wire and let it "hang free in the air" away from direct sunlight or other heat source.
james2003
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have it near any other heat source and it is not in the light.
It is mounted vertically above a power strip "in the air" so any heat generated goes straight up the sides of the MJ+.

It is the MJ+ that IS the heat source. Has anyone used a power meter to measure the power consumption of this thing? The total cost of this has to include the cost to power it.
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it as hot when plugged into your pc..... with plenty air around it?
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by using the extention cable cuts the heat way down.

Cost per year check here: http://mjcheck.low.li/
james2003
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying to plug MJ+ into the computer for power or with the ethernet cord disconnected so it uses the computer to communicate?
Either way, the whole point of MJ+ was not to use the computer.

I'll try connecting through the computer, with no ethernet connection. If it is cooler than that means MJ+ is so hot because of the ethernet driver?

Is this normal? How much power does MJ+ consumer in the direct connect mode vs the computer mode?
tazxx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james2003 wrote:
Are you saying to plug MJ+ into the computer for power or with the ethernet cord disconnected so it uses the computer to communicate?

I'll try connecting through the computer, with no ethernet connection. If it is cooler than that means MJ+ is so hot because of the ethernet driver?

Is this normal? How much power does MJ+ consumer in the direct connect mode vs the computer mode?

What I am saying is just by adding the extention cable, in between mj and the power adapter, will reduce the heat alot.
The direct connection with the power adapter seems to be the source of most of the heat.
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told him/her to use the little extension wire in post #3.........
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james2003 wrote:

Plugging it into the PC is (in this case) only to check and see if you have the same "heat" problem then.

If no "heat" problem into PC then you know it's power adapter and/or closeness to power adapter.

If same"heat" problem into PC, then very likely something wrong with your MJ+
james2003
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connected to the PC (no ethernet cable) the temperature dropped to 85F.
Connected to the power adapter with the USB extension cord and connected to the ethernet cable the temperature was 105F this morning.
That is down from 125F when it was directly connected to the power adapter.
Now it feels just "warm" rather than "hot".
Better.

I would still like a good explanation of why the temperature is so much hotter when it is directly connected. Does the cord drop the voltage to the MJ+?

The power adapter gets up to 98F, but that is less than the MJ+.
The USB extension cord is cool, so it does not appear to be dropping voltage there.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mj+ is hanging free in the air horizontally 10 cm (4 ins) above the floor. Shows 34.4C (approx. 94F) on it's surface.
james2003
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Power consumption test results Reply with quote

Here are some hard numbers about the MJ+ power consumption.
This testing was done with the power adapter, but I am not counting any power consumed by the adapter. Someone with a true watt meter can do that if desired. I measured the DC voltage and current going to the MJ+ via the USB port.

The USB connector standard is 5.0VDC, and that is what was provided by the power adapter. The PC would provide the same so there is no difference between the adapter and the PC in terms of power supply voltage. The difference would be that the MJ+ would not need to drive the ethernet connection and would therefore use less power. I measured with the ethernet disconnected and it was the same as the idle connection. Obviously without the ethernet connection I could not get a dial tone while using the USB AC power adapter.

The power values are idle (phone is off) and active (is with a dial tone or conversation).

idle: 285-300ma 1.5watt - 1.425watt
busy: 400-430ma 2.0watt - 2.15 watt

The higher power range was with the provided flat ethernet cable and through a hub.
The lower power range was with a standard (better) ethernet cable and plugged directly into the primary router.

The new ethernet cable dropped the active current from 430ma to 410ma. Plugging directly into the router saved another 10ma.

Considering how little power it consumes I am surprised by how hot some parts of the MJ+ can get. Seems like they should put some fins on it or use a metal case to distribute the heat evenly (or both).

Assuming it is idle most of the time (1.5w) it uses 13KWh in a year. At 14cents/KWh $1.84/year. At peak power is uses 19KWh/yr and at 14 cents/KWh = $2.66/year.
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W O W - that's expensive!
I pay 2.5 @ kWh (+tax) so annual cost for my MJ+ would be $ 0.33 "at idle".
scotty200

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi you also have to remember it has a CPU in there and that will heat up on it own so if your worried about the heat just use the usb cable every one is telling you i went out and got a long one and it keep it cooler and i can put it feather from the adapter

have a good one
scotty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: