magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus's Ethernet Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus's Ethernet Speed Reply with quote

Does anybody happen to know what the MagicJack Plus's actual ethernet speed is? Sometimes my router (a Netgear WNR2000v2) indicates that it's 100 Mbits/sec and other times in indicates it's 10 Mbits/sec, so I'm trying to determine if my router's automatic ethernet speed detection is faulty. (I'm using a Cat 6 cable to connect the MH+ to the router).

Thanks!
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy We don't know for sure, I asked THERE technical support but they don't know either Laughing

Rolling Eyes the connection speed may vary depending on the ethernet cord? have you tried using a cat 6?
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Live bandwidth display - 175 to 209 kbps Reply with quote

I called a local movie theatre as designated in the image below.
It varied from between 174kbps to 209kpbs for up and down bandwidth.
You'll also notice it says 26.2 KB/s in parentheses.
kb/s = kilobits/second
Kb/s = kilobytes/second
Does this answer your question?

Last edited by greenman on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
black_icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ uses 128 kb/s speed basically. Technically speaking, it's just a little amount if you're using that kind of router but MJ's performance depends upon the configuration of your router.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who care to know, and FWIW, here's what I've surmised:

The MJ+ - like most current, relatively inexpensive, consumer Ethernet-connectible devices - seems to be able to, *technically* speaking, connect to a router at 100 mbps (100baseT) BUT it can connect at 10 mbps (10baseT) and in fact does not appear to make any real use of the connection speed increase to 100 mbps.

I noticed that when connecting it to a 10/100 router via a Cat 5 or Cat 5e cable the router-detected connection speed often switched between 10 mbps and 100 mbps, but since using a decent Cat 6 cable it seems to be able to consistently sustain a detectable 100 mbps connection.

So although there appears to be no noticeable improvement in voice or call quality on a MJ+ with a 100 mbps vs 10 mbps Ethernet connection, it is much more likely that the MJ+'s connection speed will switch or alternate between 10 mbps and 100 mbps during a call when using a Cat 5 or Cat 5e cable. When that connection speed change occurs *during a call*, the MJ+ INTERRUPTS voice communication with an error message stating that you should "check your Internet connection." Generally, the change in connection speed and resulting momentary interruption of voice communication by this error message does NOT result in the call being dropped - it's really more of an annoyance than anything else - but I think that this could easily vary by router make and model as it's *possible* that some routers may at least *momentarily* drop their connection with an Ethernet-connected device when the device's router-detected Ethernet connection speed changes.

Since I've been using a good Cat 6 cable on my MJ+ (AND have kept the MJ+ powered via a good UPS - with at least very basic automatic voltage regulation - set to high sensitivity, and started using its little USB extension cord to connect it with its power adapter - which DOES seem to result in a somewhat cooler-running MJ+), my MJ+ has sustained a 100 mbps connection with my router at LEAST 99.99% of the time.

And I can't help but wonder if the combination of my use of a good Cat 6 cable, a good UPS, and separating the MJ+ from its power adapter via the USB extension cable, might be at least *contributing* to my not having experienced even ONE dropped call since sticking with this connection set-up (although I know for a FACT that keeping my DECT 6 handsets fully charged has made a BIG difference in this regard - but it's *possible* that this issue is specific to my telephone model).

Last edited by SteveHC on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"greenman" & "black_icon" - In my original posted question I wasn't inquiring about the MJ+'s actual data transmission speed, but rather the specific nature of its Ethernet port connection (10baseT vs 100baseT). Ethernet port connection speed and actual data transmission speed are two different things. Thanks, though. If you take a look at my most recent post (above) you'll see the potential significance of the port connection speed issue.
black_icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got your point, SteveHC. I think you've answered your question. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using cat5e cable throughout, docsis3.0 modem, 10/100/1000 router/intranet. I haven't seen or heard the connection speed change irregularities you are talking about that happen during a call, even when we were using the magicJack plus with a docsis2.0 modem and 10/100 router/intranet. We always had cat5e cable, which is supposed to handle cat6 traffic. It's nice to know about it so that if it happens in the future, we'll know what's going on.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"greenman" - Regarding this particular issue, the type of modem one uses (e.g. docsis 3 vs docsis 2) wouldn't make a difference. Rather, it would be affected by router make & model (how accurately and quickly it can identify an ethernet connection's changed speed and adjust itself accordingly - if it can do this fast enough it will be so fast that the MJ never "sees" a loss of connection with the router), coupled with the quality of the Ethernet cable. Given that your router is a Gigabit Ethernet one, my bet is that it detects and adjusts to a changed Ethernet connection speed very quickly. Regarding Ethernet cables, the main difference between Cat 5e and Cat 6 is the extent and quality of the cable's internal shielding (which is intended to prevent "cross-talk" between the cable's individual wires). Cat 6 cables will always be higher quality (at least in this regard) than a Cat 5e, but the best Cat 5e's can approach the quality of a Cat 6.

Many people have heard this "check your Internet connection" error message and did not know what it was all about given that their Internet service was never actually interrupted... and, naturally, MJ "customer support" doesn't have a clue LOL...
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottom line is the ethernet speed may improve when using a CAT6 Cable and other factors such as a good UPS and fully charged phones. Smile
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
"greenman" - Regarding this particular issue, the type of modem one uses (e.g. docsis 3 vs docsis 2) wouldn't make a difference. Rather, it would be affected by router make & model (how accurately and quickly it can identify an ethernet connection's changed speed and adjust itself accordingly - if it can do this fast enough it will be so fast that the MJ never "sees" a loss of connection with the router), coupled with the quality of the Ethernet cable. Given that your router is a Gigabit Ethernet one, my bet is that it detects and adjusts to a changed Ethernet connection speed very quickly.

I have to wonder about the difference between docsis 3 and 2, though. Our Docsis 2 surfboard SB5100 and topped out at 12Mb/s down (1.5 up?) and only had two channels. The surboard SB6121 we have now is set to four channels, 15Mb/s down (3.0 down). It's not much difference in speed, but doesn't channel bonding count for something in the overall connectivity and streaming smoothness assessment?

SteveHC wrote:
Regarding Ethernet cables, the main difference between Cat 5e and Cat 6 is the extent and quality of the cable's internal shielding (which is intended to prevent "cross-talk" between the cable's individual wires). Cat 6 cables will always be higher quality (at least in this regard) than a Cat 5e, but the best Cat 5e's can approach the quality of a Cat 6.

Many people have heard this "check your Internet connection" error message and did not know what it was all about given that their Internet service was never actually interrupted... and, naturally, MJ "customer support" doesn't have a clue LOL...
No doubt on all counts. I bought a spool of cat5e years ago and still haven't run out. But copper is so darned expensive now, it feels wasteful to run new lines when the cat5e seems to be handling things well enough.

In our case, the only time I've heard the 'check your internet connection' cue was when my internet actually was out. It's never happened mid-call.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:
I have to wonder about the difference between docsis 3 and 2, though. Our Docsis 2 surfboard SB5100 and topped out at 12Mb/s down (1.5 up?) and only had two channels. The surboard SB6121 we have now is set to four channels, 15Mb/s down (3.0 down). It's not much difference in speed, but doesn't channel bonding count for something in the overall connectivity and streaming smoothness assessment?

- Not when it comes to the functioning of a MJ device - MJ uses such a low amount of bandwidth, that using DOCSIS 3-reliant Internet speeds just doesn't make a difference (unless you're simultaneously using OTHER devices and services that use *so* much bandwidth that they cause "choppiness" during a MJ voip call - like, say, when you're trying to stream YouTube videos through a Blu-Ray player while engaging in a MJ call at the same time). And it's ALSO true that most cable companies' Internet service only makes actual use of DOCSIS 3 capabilities in their highest speed tiers. So if a person is only subscribing to say 3 megs/sec. service (for example) there's no point to them getting a new DOCSIS 3 modem... and if I remember correctly, most cable companies support DOCSIS 3 standards only for about 9 megs/sec. or faster.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radzkillah wrote:
bottom line is the ethernet speed may improve when using a CAT6 Cable and other factors such as a good UPS and fully charged phones. Smile

- NO question about it. I learned this the hard way LOL. And a good UPS - preferably one with at least some degree of real automatic voltage regulation - really DOES make a difference, especially for those of us that live in areas where there are frequent voltage "micro-bursts," drop-outs, etc. (which includes pretty much everyone living in the eastern coastal states from Maine down to the Florida Keys, as well as many other parts of the country). In such locations, if you use such a good UPS and set its AVR sensitivity setting to the highest possible (which usually still allows for voltage fluctuation +/- about 10% before battery use kicks in even for just a fraction of a second) you'll probably find that the batteries kick in very briefly for at least a couple of times per week, sometimes even more frequently.

And much to my own surprise I've confirmed that using the MJ+'s little USB extension cord to separate it from its AC power adapter really DOES cut down on the operating temperature of the MJ+ - often by almost half. It generally isn't advisable to use that little extension cord when using the MJ+ via a pc's or laptop's USB port (unless it's the only way to get the connection to fit), but there's no doubt in my mind that MJ should really be recommending to people that they use it when using the MJ+ as a stand-alone device with its own AC power adapter.
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
radzkillah wrote:

- NO question about it. I learned this the hard way LOL. And a good UPS - preferably one with at least some degree of real automatic voltage regulation - really DOES make a difference, especially for those of us that live in areas where there are frequent voltage "micro-bursts," drop-outs, etc. (which includes pretty much everyone living in the eastern coastal states from Maine down to the Florida Keys, as well as many other parts of the country). In such locations, if you use such a good UPS and set its AVR sensitivity setting to the highest possible (which usually still allows for voltage fluctuation +/- about 10% before battery use kicks in even for just a fraction of a second) you'll probably find that the batteries kick in very briefly for at least a couple of times per week, sometimes even more frequently.

And much to my own surprise I've confirmed that using the MJ+'s little USB extension cord to separate it from its AC power adapter really DOES cut down on the operating temperature of the MJ+ - often by almost half. It generally isn't advisable to use that little extension cord when using the MJ+ via a pc's or laptop's USB port (unless it's the only way to get the connection to fit), but there's no doubt in my mind that MJ should really be recommending to people that they use it when using the MJ+ as a stand-alone device with its own AC power adapter.

Wink GOD !! YOU ARE INDEED A LAB RAT Smile
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radzkillah wrote:
GOD !! YOU ARE INDEED A LAB RAT Smile

- Oh yeah, I drive my kid nuts sometimes LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: