magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack keeps shutting down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iseek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: MagicJack keeps shutting down Reply with quote

My magic jack keeps shutting down. It works for about 2-3 hours or sometime for 12-13 hours and then when I come back to my machine, Magicjack has shut down. Magicjack drives are visible in windows explorer but there is nothing in it. All I have to do is to take the dongle out and put it back in and it starts working. I have checked the power management of the USB hub and have unchecked the computer to turn it off.
The only thing I do on computer that I think might cause this is if I run anti-virus scan or do a machine image backup it, magicjack shuts down. Could it be because of less power to the USB? Not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack keeps shutting down Reply with quote

Try connecting the USB device to the USB port without the pig-tail extension connector. There have been a few reports of this occurring because the connector is cheap.

Mark
Iseek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it connected without the pigtail connector
Romulous
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was happening to me on my vista desktop but when I moved the magicjack to my XP station the problem disappeared . My Guess it is a vista glitch
Iseek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it Windows XP
zerotsm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Mine too under XP Pro Reply with quote

My Magic jack is doing the same thing now, after their latest upgrade. It runs for an hour or two then shuts down, I have to unplug and reattach the dongle. Very annoying. I'm going to let my service expire if a resolution to this issue cannot be found.
groverwood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after several months of near-perfect operation, my magic jack just started shutting down automatically at random times. It would be available for days on end, and then all of a sudden it'd shut down, for no apparent reason. This went on for several weeks - it would work for days, or less than a day at a time. Seemed to be no pattern.

I examined the Windows Event Log, and saw that in the Application Log, there seemed to be "DISC READ" errors, pointing to the Magic Jack 'hard drive', and these disc read errors seemed to coincide with the Magic Jack service terminating unexpectedly.

After reading the various posts on this forum, and based on my experience with Magic Jack when I was having some problems at one time, I guessed that the Magic Jack's USB connection was somehow losing power or losing connection, causing the errors I was seeing in the Event Log.

I disconnected two external USB hard drives, and an external USB CD Drive, and the time between crashes increased considerably. Instead of crashing daily, it would crash every 3-5 days.

Figuring that USB power was the culprit, I went out and bought one of those powered USB hubs (plug-in version, not one that's powered only by the USB cable). This seems to have solved the problem. I've been up and running for 3 weeks without crashing any more, and I no longer see any of those errors in the Event Log.

So my advice, is if you're seeing random crashes where the magic jack just stops working, check your Event Logs. If you see errors which seem to say that there's "hard drive errors" and it points to what appears to be the Magic Jack devices, then I'd look into getting one of those powered USB hubs. It seems that the Magic Jack device really draws alot of power from the USB subsystem, and if you have other things hooked up to USB on your computer, they're all sharing the same power.
kidnme10
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: MJ crashes and freezes computer Reply with quote

I have been using this for 2 years now and all of a sudden bamm, it crashes on every call and freezes my system.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: magicJack.exe
Application Version: 1.90.521.2
Application Timestamp: 4b320076
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00004963
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible fix here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/memory-could-not-be-read-t8202.html
kidnme10
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: crashing MJ Reply with quote

@Alpman,
Thanks but how do you role the date back?
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the Date and Time Properties in Control Panel.
kidnme10
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked but no contacts. How do I get them back?
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answered in your other post
Thom/S
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: APPCRASH Reply with quote

After majicjack starts up within three minutes I get a windows message that majicjack has stopped working.

It was just fine for the last year up until the day of this post. I get the following message: majicjack has stopped working. When view the problem details I get the following message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: magicJack.exe
Application Version: 2.0.607.3
Application Timestamp: 4e4d3c4b
Fault Module Name: ieframe.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18639
Fault Module Timestamp: 4db04613
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001be8e4
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Has anyone experience this and what will solve the issue? Thank you all!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: APPCRASH Reply with quote

Thom/S wrote:

Has anyone experience this and what will solve the issue?

I did a google on AppCrash and found this "how to" that might help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5192304_fix-appcrash-errors-computer.html

It goes into some detail. But their main suggestion is that a recent downloaded program may be the problem. It's rather old since it mentions Windows Vista, but the general concept could still apply.
Thom/S
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: APPCRASH Reply with quote

I have tried the solution but it did not work. I scanned the computer with virus software and found no virus. I've been running my virus software for a while and had no problems with that so I trust there is no virus.

I am amble to start magicjack and make a call. But within a few moments it keeps sutting down. I can start it again but it'll shut down again.

Can anyone come up with the solution?

Thank you!
English_Jean
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having the same problem for past 2-3 weeks. At random times - few hours to few days - I'll hear a chat message like ding noise and Magicjack shuts down. What's strange is that all appears well because the blue light is still on. I get a window saying insert the Magicjack but it also advertises Magicjack+. I'm thinking they're trying not so gentle persuasion to sell me a Magicjack+. Not going to work as I'm paid thru 2013. Everything is well once I reinsert the dongle, until the next time. All has been reasonably OK for a while till this. I've had the unit for about 2.5 years and use Windows 7 and usually Firefox. The dongle is connected directly to the USB. Don't recall making any changes to anything recently. I use Norton and McAfee and they haven't found any issues.
Excuse the non techie language. Don't know much about that type stuff but I've managed to get by so far:)
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check in device manager in the USB section none ( there are more than one) of the USB ROOT HUB settings have the power saving feature enabled. Also sometimes USB ports can and do put out less power as the PC ages so you MIGHT need a POWERED usb hub. Also maybe you added another USB device? If so, don't forget USB power is shared among
ALL USB devices and that power is finite.
Just a few ideas off the top of my head, hey it's a short trip Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
English_Jean
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Joe. I'll check these out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: