magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic jack Plus issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob3600
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Magic jack Plus issues Reply with quote

Hello all, I have had a Regular Magic jack for years hooked up directly to my computer and it worked well enough , so that when the Plus Model became available I purchased The Magic Jack Plus , liking the fact that you do not have have a computer on all the time.
I now have 2 Magic Jacks one normal and one Plus.
I use a Linksys wrt54g router, and my ISP is Comcast , running about 20 meg download and 3 meg upload.

My problems are:
1 After talking and establishing a telephone call , 5 minutes into the call the call gets disconnected. just goes dead! happening most of the time!
My wife is NOT HAPPY with the Magic Jack Call reliability
We just were told by friends rtying to call our Magic Jack Plus after dialing our number they get NOTHING no ringing tones, NOTHING at all.

2. The other problem is MAGIC JACK SUpport!, I was hoping to get help with the problems mentioned above.

2 days ago I connected with Magic Jack LIVE Chat and , was instructed that my
port forwarding needed ports 5060 and 5070 forwarded, and unchecked the "Block Anonymous Internet Requests "
That did not help , still dropping calls and folks cant ring our magic jack tel number?

Again went to the magicjack.com web site Live Chat, reached agent #1 that passed me to Agent #2, told me to got to router DMZ, as I was trying to go to DMZ on the Router the Chat dropped connection,
Called live chat again, started all over with agent 1 and was passed to agent #2 again who asked me some very strange basic questions, and took 3-4 minutes to respond, and then disappeared , again with a Chat disconnected.
My Internet connection was solid at that time.
I spent more that 2 hrs and got absolutely nowhere with my problems.
I have read on the internet that the Magic Jack Plus has problems when plugged into a ROUTER, and Plus users have had better luck plugging the Plus into there computer USB port, I will try that next!
I am a frustrated Magic Jack Plus Consumer!
robert
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

molodyets
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: MJ Plus dropped calls problem - some info Reply with quote

I too had an old MJ and when the MJ Plus came out I bought one, because I liked the fact it didn't need a computer running. It seemed to work OK at first and then about the 2nd or 3rd week in February 2012 it started dropping calls. The problem got very bad, so bad that using the MJ Plus was problematical. I am using (or was using a Linksys WRT54GS with firmware 1.52.8. I tried EVERYTHING. I tried the "port forwarding" thing, I tried setting up a "DMZ", I tried monkeying with the static IP setup info on the my.magicjack.com web site, and I tried establishing a static IP address for the MJ Plus, and every combination of the above, and NOTHING HELPED. So on a lark I thought, let me try another router. So I attached the MJ Plus to a Netgear WGR614 V4 - lo and behold, it worked MUCH MUCH better. In fact after about a week now, I have only had one dropped call and that was talking to somebody on a cell phone that may have had bad signal. So I am very hopeful this problem has for me at least been largely solved. I read somewhere that the WRT54GS has two problems: (1) there is a bug in the SIP implementation in some of the routers (depending on serial number) and (2) some of the routers are "neutered" meaning they have less memory in them (again depending on the serial number). I researched and mine is a "neutered" WRT54GS so that may have something to do with it. I should add my WRT54GS worked absolutely flawlessly with EVERYTHING except my MJ Plus - no other problems and speed and range was quite good. So there you have it - my experience anyway. Good luck. Molodyets in CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: